Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

1) Is this about lies in news or fake news?

2) Is there a meaningful difference?

I have some thoughts on that but want to field the question first: talking heads with their names and affiliations clearly labeled lying out their rear end VS news articles online masquerading as local press outlet that actually doesn't exist, like the Denver Guardian that was used to make up the story about an FBI killed by the Clintons for leaking email? Or the article pretending it was from MSNBC that for 48 hours after the election had conservatives thinking they won the popular vote yuuge as well?

Potato Salad has issued a correction as of 04:59 on Dec 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

One of these things has auditable sources and can be picked apart by following those sources like Glenn Greenwald did in the example of Podesta email denying linked above, the other deliberately obfuscates its true origin while leading to a source dead-end that can't be dug any deeper.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Misrepresentation of credentials still holds you to the standards of the profession. Brian Williams severely twisted the truth concerning his experiences in Iraq and was put to bear for it because of his position; some random jerk who circulates a story through Facebook can't be put to task for doing something that can amount to the same.

To be more specific, I would say that the proliferation of "pop-up" news outlets, as you described the Denver Guardian, to be a subject worth discussing, as it seems that more or less anyone can thesaurus an organization together and sound legitimate enough to merit sharing.

...though, with that said, I'd like to see someone try to pass themselves off as the Chicago Defender in a fake article :mmmhmm:

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Saw this list and it calls New Republic, National Review, and Jacobin click bait.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xDDmbr54qzzG8wUrRdxQl_C1dixJSIYqQUaXVZBqsJs/htmlview

Also Fox News, but calling it click bait isn't really accurate either.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Controversial take here so everybody brace your butts: I think wildly proliferated fake news is real and a problem, it's not good to have unchecked yellow journalism, but I also think it's hilarious that the mainstream media is now frantically trying to use it to blacklist the alternate news sources that called them idiots for the past year while they confidently reported an idea of reality only tangentially related to actual reality.

Listing Fox News and the Jacobin as clickbait fake news is pretty goddamn rich.

Fake news is a problem that's not going to be solved by leaving it up to the drowning Fourth Estate that's governed primarily by interest in staying profitable--that's not a fault of journalism, that's a fault of capitalism, and as long as the news is run as a business it will always have incentives to compete with other sources of news. Which works to a point, as long as all the people involve agree they share an industry and a profession with certain standards.

I'd argue that fake news isn't even in the same line of business as real news. Real news is trying to shame it out of existence as it usually does with blatantly false news sources, but they're behaving as if they're engaging with another corps of reporter and another news source business. What incentive does a Macedonian teenager writing political fiction for ad revenue have to respond to the Washington Post calling her a threat to the democratic process?

If you want to kill fake news you need to educate people, but I think you also have to target it where it hurts: their bottom line. If they don't get paid, they won't turn out the volume that they do now. They don't have professional ethics you can attack, because they're not professionals, and they don't have a brand you can damage, because all they have to do is make up a new vaguely news sounding domain name and they're back in business. You have to take the reward away.

Basically I blame Facebook firing their human curating team. Goddamn it, Zuckerberg, you made this a cottage industry.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

fox news will die some day, but 'fair and balanced' will live forever

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

let's make a deal, the usa will stop removing fake news when it's citizens don't believe every single headline they read immediately

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Saw this list and it calls New Republic, National Review, and Jacobin click bait.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xDDmbr54qzzG8wUrRdxQl_C1dixJSIYqQUaXVZBqsJs/htmlview

Also Fox News, but calling it click bait isn't really accurate either.

sounds accurate to me

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Tiny Deer posted:

Basically I blame Facebook firing their human curating team. Goddamn it, Zuckerberg, you made this a cottage industry.

all news outlets have an editor, a gatekeeper

making this editor a deceitful computer algorithm is cyberpunk dystopia as gently caress

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Prav posted:

making this editor a deceitful computer algorithm is cyberpunk dystopia as gently caress

That's funny because a deceitful computer algorithm is what lost Hillary the election. AI confirmed bad.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Prav posted:

Then re-hire the human team :colbert: Or have FB buy / contract Snopes.

(I'm aware that's probably not going to happen)

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Kraps posted:

That's funny because a deceitful computer algorithm is what lost Hillary the election. AI confirmed bad.

That's not fair, the loss wasn't completely her own fault.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

MizPiz posted:

That's not fair, the loss wasn't completely her own fault.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

FB don't give a gently caress, they just want to minimize the amount of complaining while driving traffic by showing people what they want to see

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Biggest reason right there. All concern Zuckerberg suddenly had one week after the election flies 180 degrees in the face of repeated statements he's made beforehand and even in the few days after. There's no ideological drive behind that pivot.

Any actual interest in integrity would be met with a first step of reinstating the good thing FB had going. From there, fix its leftist slant.

Potato Salad has issued a correction as of 22:29 on Dec 16, 2016

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Trusting a bunch of ideological hacks to be the kingmakers of media will fail just as hilariously as an algorithm. Both forms of curation sucked and returning to the old way isn't the answer. Also, LOL that some of you actually think Snopes is still a good source for political debunking.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

new phone who dis posted:

Trusting a bunch of ideological hacks to be the kingmakers of media will fail just as hilariously as an algorithm. Both forms of curation sucked and returning to the old way isn't the answer. Also, LOL that some of you actually think Snopes is still a good source for political debunking.

lmao are you every freeper grandpa

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

OfficialGBSCaliph posted:

lmao are you every freeper grandpa

I'm not sure this is even a valid insult anymore considering that the liberal ideological media bubble turned out to be the biggest lie in modern US history. Make fun of the freeps if you want, but they were right.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

it is, however, still the number one place to find out if someone was agitated to death after falling into a washing machine

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I'm not sure this is even a valid insult anymore considering that the liberal ideological media bubble turned out to be the biggest lie in modern US history. Make fun of the freeps if you want, but they were right.

You could have just said yes

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Uhh freepers said there was a liberal media bubble.

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

Facebook recently announced that they are going to be working with Snopes and a couple other news / fact checking organizations to identify links to false stories / made up sensationalized headlines, tag them as such, and have them "demoted" somehow in facebook's secret news feed algorithm. Brietbart is already (and has already been) trying to spin Snopes, Politifact, and other fact-checking attempts as having liberal agendas and being untrustworthy. Here's an article with 9 reasons why Politifact can not be trusted, but the arguement made ends up being fairly weak imo.

I blame Facebook for caving to pressure from conservatives to get rid of the human curation of the trending feed. I have fond memories of being stuck in a psychiatric inpatient hospital for a week and having my girlfriend read me what was "trending" on facebook over the phone for fun. Talking about the current events and laughing about the way the headlines would be written was a go to conversation topic for me and my friends. The day after they removed the human curation team, I remember one of the trending topics was just an advertisement for an LED lightbulb. It was trending because bot accounts were posting links to it or something. A sad day for me.

slouch has issued a correction as of 06:51 on Dec 17, 2016

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I've been trying to think of a good way to describe to new phone the difference between lies and fake news. Posting like that he has above makes me glad I scrapped a draft earlier yesterday in favor of just hanging bait in the form of a question.

Laughable, dude.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

i mean i get that liberal institutions failed spectacularly but lets not lionize freep, its not hard to be right once

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

cams posted:

i like the baloogan gimmick more when it sticks to applying its insane worldview to reality. when it goes full "just saying nonsense to troll" it's boring

not a gimmick unless it's a deep cover decade old one
that is just the 100% delightful off kilter Baloogan I remember from TG IRC

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i want to run/play in a pen and paper RPG set in the last days of the nixon administration where the players are people like kissinger, white house marines, secret service agents, checkers the dog, ford, haig, etc and you have to talk a drunk / high / crying / gibbering president nixon (played by the GM) down to resign but he knows all these secret passages through the white house, and theres like government labs beneath the white house, cia agents experimenting with lsd and rumors of a russian assassin present in the white house (maybe a player!)

i think that would be fun

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Baloogan posted:

or, in the nixon administration RPG the setting would be right before nixon was to resign, the night before or the night the day before
and its late at night at the white house and nixon (played by the DM) is drunk & high, crying, and running around the white house through secret passages
and its the party's job to try to talk nixon down and get him to resign
players could be ford, kissinger, random marine seargents, secret service etc
there are piles of secret bunkers under the white house, complete with like mad scientest labs and the CIA is testing LSD and summoning arcane horrors deep underneath the white house etc
and so the team has to go find nixon, face the lovecraftian horrors of the white house, deal with an international crisis involving high level discussions with the russians, also possibly there are rumors of an assassin somewhere on the premices!!
protestors gathering outside too! and its a dark and stormy night

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

i don't know why anyone would ever rp anything that wasn't nixon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TcOAMmY8yY

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

There is no truth. Deep.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
The Babylon Bee is tied with Clickhole as the funniest fake news out there for me btw

http://babylonbee.com/news/top-ten-books-2016/

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Pakistan threatened Israel with nuclear war because fake news said Israel would destroy Pakistan should they move troops to Syria.

quote:

A fake news article led to gunfire at a Washington pizzeria three weeks ago. Now it seems that another fake news story has prompted the defense minister of Pakistan to threaten to go nuclear.

The defense minister, Khawaja Muhammad Asif, wrote a saber-rattling Twitter post directed at Israel on Friday after a false report — which the minister apparently believed — that Israel had threatened Pakistan with nuclear weapons. Both countries have nuclear arsenals.

“Israeli def min threatens nuclear retaliation presuming pak role in Syria against Daesh,” the minister wrote on his official Twitter account, using an Arabic acronym for the Islamic State. “Israel forgets Pakistan is a Nuclear state too.”

Mr. Asif appeared to be reacting to a fake news article published on awdnews.com.

That story, with the typo-laden headline “Israeli Defense Minister: If Pakistan send ground troops to Syria on any pretext, we will destroy this country with a nuclear attack,” appeared on the website on Dec. 20, alongside articles with headlines like “Clinton is staging a military coup against Trump.”

The fake story about Israel even misidentified the country’s defense minister, attributing quotations to a former minister, Moshe Yaalon. Israel’s current minister of defense is Avigdor Lieberman.

The Israeli Defense Ministry responded on Twitter to say the report was fictitious.

“The statement attributed to fmr Def Min Yaalon re Pakistan was never said,” the ministry wrote in Twitter post directed at Mr. Asif. The Israeli ministry added in a second post: "Reports referred to by the Pakistani Def Min are entirely false.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/24/world/asia/pakistan-israel-khawaja-asif-fake-news-nuclear.html

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Party Plane Jones posted:

Pakistan threatened Israel with nuclear war because fake news said Israel would destroy Pakistan should they move troops to Syria.
And people act like fake news are a bad thing.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

FCKGW posted:

Read a few stories at random. I would probably put Jacobin somewhere in the red ovals depending on the story. They seem to stretch a lot into different areas depending on what they're trying to fit into their narrative.

If you were to ask me to value an overall score, probably that gold ring would be the site's main focus, or just to the right of it depending on how hard you look. Either way, Jacobin is probably a good way to say "hello" if you're looking for meaty news.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Fox News anchor Shepard Smith (one of their best, imo) on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert. Two questions over the course of just a minute of your time on delegitimizing fact dissemination sources and whether fact checking matters anymore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7GwefWjXeQ&feature=youtu.be&t=5m11s

Stephen Colbert interviewed on Christmas on Face the Nation: Truthiness vs Post-Truth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7GwefWjXeQ&feature=youtu.be&t=5m11s

Hail chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Gannett bought a shitload of papers but is just piloting the whole rig right into the garbage. Layoffs 3 days before the last (lovely) quarterly report just shows they're not following any strategy with their personnel decisions, and they'll just chop and chop until the whole thing is patch.com all over again.

Tronc thinks they can get robots to write the news for them.

Newspapers are hosed.

• Locked thread