Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
There's no other game which scratches the AO itch - just something about the skill/gear system that absolutely does it for me

(its spreadsheets)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Kinda dreading having to keep track of implants as well as armor tbh lmao

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Implants, armor, how many buffs you can cram in your ncu including buffs that expand your ncu, social clothing, backpacks inside backpacks inside backpacks.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

FrostyPox posted:

Kinda dreading having to keep track of implants as well as armor tbh lmao

This doesn't tend to be too bad; you don't change implants particularly often.

From an inventory management perspective, have a look for AO Item Assistant+

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

This doesn't tend to be too bad; you don't change implants particularly often.

From an inventory management perspective, have a look for AO Item Assistant+

That's good to know. So far inventory management hasn't been too bad, but I'll keep that in mind.

I'm still playing pretty casually, maybe for a couple hours every couple days, but it's fun. I just hit 19 so I guess after next level I have to manually assign IP which is a bit daunting, but I'll check some guides.

I really love the jazz track that plays sometimes in cities, I still remember it from when I very briefly played like 20 years ago, lmao

The actual open world is... both interesting and very ugly. I've noticed that mob spawns tend to not have much pattern when it comes to levels. I'll find level 20 mobs next to or mixed in with like level 75 mobs, and I even had a terminal mission that sent me out into Agean and the entrance was surrounded by level 75 mobs, though getting in and out wasn't a problem.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

FrostyPox posted:

That's good to know. So far inventory management hasn't been too bad, but I'll keep that in mind.

I'm still playing pretty casually, maybe for a couple hours every couple days, but it's fun. I just hit 19 so I guess after next level I have to manually assign IP which is a bit daunting, but I'll check some guides.

I really love the jazz track that plays sometimes in cities, I still remember it from when I very briefly played like 20 years ago, lmao

The actual open world is... both interesting and very ugly. I've noticed that mob spawns tend to not have much pattern when it comes to levels. I'll find level 20 mobs next to or mixed in with like level 75 mobs, and I even had a terminal mission that sent me out into Agean and the entrance was surrounded by level 75 mobs, though getting in and out wasn't a problem.

For me, the absolute pinnacle of the music is the Rome theme, love that poo poo. Or the loading music.

The open world absolutely sucks, as you mention it's pretty much just a scattergun approach to mobs and there's very little to actually find or do out there.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah theresvery little to the open world outside of some specific mobs to farm gear from, which you should probably never bother with, and dungeons for rolled missions. Also maybe invest in a flying car eventually.

Also yes, the music in AO ruled.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW8bKf2b6j4&t=2951s

DrZepam
Mar 15, 2021
i member having a naked doc around 190, and equipping the implants/symbiant just to be able to cast the first SL heal will be painful if i relog.

Edit: gently caress it im downloading the client

DrZepam fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 10, 2023

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

DrZepam posted:

i member having a naked doc around 190, and equipping the implants/symbiant just to be able to cast the first SL heal will be painful if i relog.

Edit: gently caress it im downloading the client

You should be able to reactivate your old, legacy account!

DrZepam
Mar 15, 2021
I did, found my 190 doc with some weak gear, rick-clicked my equipement by mistake and i cant equip it back ofc. Logged a 170 MP alt instead, with full fr00b equipement. went to test a daily alien mission and died hilariously on the first mob.

The GMI is horribly empty i couldnt find symbiants to buy since the game have less players than Internet Spaceships, but the Clan OOC chat is nice. good nostalgia itch overall since it's Funcom 30th anniversary

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
Symbs are horribly overpriced for the most part anyways, probably wouldn't be able to afford them. The symb farming/pattern farming system is horribly convoluted and I'm surprised I found as many as I did last time I played.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Well, they decided to shutter the volunteer ARK program. Might be a death knell for the game altogether.

almost1337
Jun 14, 2013

The male likpatons turn around the nucleus formed of female boobons and neutral bolsterons
Dang, I remember being super excited to apply for the Ark program before realizing it was really me paying to work for them part-time.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

almost1337 posted:

Dang, I remember being super excited to apply for the Ark program before realizing it was really me paying to work for them part-time.

I did it for a few weeks but yeah, this was accurate.

Anyway, reading between the lines it looks like Funcom legal didn’t want to let them flout European employment law anymore by getting a bunch of unpaid labour (that happened to be the only effective customer service they had anymore)

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Didn’t most MMOs shutter their volunteer programs years ago because they didn’t meet minimum wage standards? Even offering a free account at $15/month only covers about 2 hours of work and ARK required a lot more than that when I was in…

:rip: GM Island…

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Didn’t most MMOs shutter their volunteer programs years ago because they didn’t meet minimum wage standards? Even offering a free account at $15/month only covers about 2 hours of work and ARK required a lot more than that when I was in…

:rip: GM Island…

Yeah, if this is the reason it got shuttered it's kind of understandable. I was also an MTG judge for a few years (because apparently I can't get enough of being a sucker) and that program got shuttered when it started getting dragged through the US courts

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I guess they figured out a way to bring ARK back with a new name. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zLXZXBKTmhBzvh6S2QY6DY-CrbxsrRQRDI58iBAu35k/edit No idea what they changed!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Funcom is doing a new sci fi mmo in an existing IP and it is not ao2

(Dune)

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Worf posted:

(Dune)

i don’t understand those are the same thing

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

An Anarchy Online 2 would be so awesome.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

It would just be another reskinned WoW though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That's true, I would only really like it if it was a gigantic open world more about exploration, and there werent really any quests, especially not like how MMORPGs have them where you're just doing quests to lead you to from one point to the next. Anarchy Online has quests, but its not the focus. Original AO had no questing really, you looked up spots to grind and level up, I miss those sort of MMOs.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Worf posted:

(Dune)

i don’t understand those are the same thing

I said come in! posted:

An Anarchy Online 2 would be so awesome.

Here's some stuff I posted joking around here like.. a year and a half ago? lol

Twenty Four posted:

Funcom is making Anarchy Online 2? Yes, I am joking, sort of.

Twenty Four posted:

Anarchy Online is a game made by Funcom, and has a setting on a far away inhospitable planet in the future where a corporation colonizes the lands and battle locals for the ability to mine the world for notum, an extraordinarily rare resource found only on that planet, whereas Dune is a game being made by Funcom and has a setting on a far away inhospitable planet in the future where corporations houses colonize the lands and battle locals for the ability to mine the world for notum spice, an extraordinarily rare resource found only on that planet. Maybe they will make an Avatar game next, lol.

Like I said, just messing around, making broad generalizations on purpose for comedy. However, I feel like a bunch of companies could make a Dune game, but I'd be more excited about AO2, so I wish they went with that instead. I know it's the opposite of popular opinion, but I probably won't play the Dune game unless my friends do, but almost certainly would have played AO2 and so would they. I actually just stumbled upon a new trailer posted recently, and right after happened to check this thread, so here's that if anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S-l7NySFsI

At least the indoors parts look a little different, otherwise I expect endless sand dunes with some rock outcroppings here and there to get pretty old.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I hate sand

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Playing AO when it was in its prime was such an amazing experience, I loving love sci-fi and playing this weird rear end sci-fi MMO was so good

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

When I was growing up, Omni-Tek was my only friend

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
The grind of those old MMOs was fun because of the community. Spamming LFG in 20K or looking for someone to give you enough boosts to equip some new weapon had a culture that just doesn’t exist in modern online games. Or, more accurately, was replaced by different cultures. In twenty years the version of this thread will be about Fortnite or something.

Good grief, does anyone remember the early days when vendor NPCs would only talk to one PC at a time and we had to queue up to buy implants? Nostalgia is a curse.
:member:

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Oh god, didn't the doctor bot stations also have that same limitation for a time?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The grind of those old MMOs was fun because of the community. Spamming LFG in 20K or looking for someone to give you enough boosts to equip some new weapon had a culture that just doesn’t exist in modern online games. Or, more accurately, was replaced by different cultures. In twenty years the version of this thread will be about Fortnite or something.

Good grief, does anyone remember the early days when vendor NPCs would only talk to one PC at a time and we had to queue up to buy implants? Nostalgia is a curse.
:member:

Yea but I don’t want those things to be in a sequel

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Man getting boosts to get yourself into a new set of implants felt so good

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
Nothing quite like the high of wrangling a stygian onto your baby melee.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I put an enhanced queen blade on my opifex NT

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Sintor posted:

Nothing quite like the high of wrangling a stygian onto your baby melee.

Hell yeah, then going down the Subway and slapping Abmouth in his dumb face

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
I really wish they would drop the dang sub cost of this game. Especially with it being so dead that you effectively have to multibox. I have a very capable full team I can run but no way i'm paying $15 per account nowadays. My friend and I would multibox beast all the time back in the day.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Nosthula posted:

I really wish they would drop the dang sub cost of this game. Especially with it being so dead that you effectively have to multibox. I have a very capable full team I can run but no way i'm paying $15 per account nowadays. My friend and I would multibox beast all the time back in the day.

Shout out to the 12 people keeping the game alive

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
AO Sharp is a cool way to play this game. (I'm not doing that. But it was cool.)

Hope this helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
Is there a way to scale the ui in this game for 4K