Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

VERTiG0 posted:

Pretty ridiculous that they didn't give away one lovely 911 so everybody could at least see the cars in-game.

I thought that was the intention, and Turn-10 made a mess up. They might actually fix this, but with T10 being the way they are, who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

I said come in! posted:

I do. :colbert: But that's not really fair of me to say, because I don't play online either, I can't because of my router issues with FM4 specifically. I play against the A.I., so you never have to touch the cars because the A.I. is so slow.

Not sure if you do this but if you do the event list instead of world tour you can set the AI difficulty all the way up and also set whether the AI can upgrade their cars or not. In world tour the difficulty is lower and goes higher as you progress, and I don't think the AI cars are upgraded either. It makes single player much more challenging. If you're already doing that, ignore me :)

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

VERTiG0 posted:

Pretty ridiculous that they didn't give away one lovely 911 so everybody could at least see the cars in-game.

All I can guess is that either;

* The licensing agreement with Porsche doesn't allow it for some reason (not likely)
* MS is being screwy about it for some reason (entirely likely)
* Turn 10 wants to make drat sure they don't have a repeat of what happened with the May car pack where people were downloading the free one and getting the full pack instead (most likely)

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

GutBomb posted:

In world tour the difficulty is lower and goes higher as you progress, and I don't think the AI cars are upgraded either.

They're upgraded to the top of the class, but not particularly well. It's the same as the gift cars you get for leveling up, or the automatic upgrade option in the upgrade menu, which generally gives you something usable but lovely.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Scirocco Griffon posted:

All I can guess is that either;

* The licensing agreement with Porsche doesn't allow it for some reason (not likely)
* MS is being screwy about it for some reason (entirely likely)
* Turn 10 wants to make drat sure they don't have a repeat of what happened with the May car pack where people were downloading the free one and getting the full pack instead (most likely)

I can't pretend to know what their development environment is like, but one would think they could assign someone to test this stuff before launch. Sounds crazy, I know.

Though I guess part of the problem is that once something installs on the marketplace servers, everyone can see it. Shame on Microsoft for not having some kind of "not released" flag or whatever.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

ANAmal.net posted:

They're upgraded to the top of the class, but not particularly well. It's the same as the gift cars you get for leveling up, or the automatic upgrade option in the upgrade menu, which generally gives you something usable but lovely.

The only thing that increasing difficulty or turning on upgraded cars does for the AI is make them go stupid fast on straightaways. They still follow the racing line blindly and will brake for corners far more than they need to, so the "difficulty" just comes from them clogging up corners so that you can't pass anywhere.

xzzy posted:

I can't pretend to know what their development environment is like, but one would think they could assign someone to test this stuff before launch. Sounds crazy, I know.

Though I guess part of the problem is that once something installs on the marketplace servers, everyone can see it. Shame on Microsoft for not having some kind of "not released" flag or whatever.

I think having to deal with Microsoft's certification process is part of it too. If they have to resubmit DLC then it's another three or four weeks to go through the entire process again, and apparently MS is extremely reluctant to allow free patches via DLC according to things said in the Minecraft 360 thread.

I can understand that it's try and eliminate the "sell it now, fix it later" mentality, but it's gotta be a serious pain in the rear end to deal with every month.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Scirocco Griffon posted:

I can understand that it's try and eliminate the "sell it now, fix it later" mentality, but it's gotta be a serious pain in the rear end to deal with every month.

Yeah, I get that, but a lot of the problems Turn 10 has had could have been found with an effective testing setup. They've done things with DLC I don't think anyone else has attempted, and if there's no "development xbox marketplace" problems are going to seep through.

It does seem pretty stingy on Microsoft's part, especially considering Turn 10 is fully owned by Microsoft. You'd think that would buy them some leverage.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

xzzy posted:

It does seem pretty stingy on Microsoft's part, especially considering Turn 10 is fully owned by Microsoft. You'd think that would buy them some leverage.

It's my understanding that every single division in Microsoft is its own little fiefdom that never communicates with the others unless it can't be avoided, and even then they often refuse to work together fully. With that in mind, I'm pretty sure that their game studios have about as much leverage as the guy who delivers coffee filters to the break rooms.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Scirocco Griffon posted:

The only thing that increasing difficulty or turning on upgraded cars does for the AI is make them go stupid fast on straightaways. They still follow the racing line blindly and will brake for corners far more than they need to, so the "difficulty" just comes from them clogging up corners so that you can't pass anywhere.

AI rubber banding feels kind of pointless in a game like this. I would almost prefer they just followed a set course at the same pace every time so I could at least guess how well I drove the track without having to keep track of lap times. It's amusing in a very stupid way to watch the pack of AI cars decompress on the minimap as the top 2-3 cars suddenly get a huge torque multiplier to follow you away from the main pack. Also the thing where they try to pass you and then drop way back if you cut them off reminds me of playing an old racing game on the Genesis. If you drive a slow car on Sarthe it's like playing car pong all the way down the straight

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 22, 2012

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Also the thing where they try to pass you and then drop way back if you cut them off reminds me of playing an old racing game on the Genesis

Yeah it's really funny how they don't dare make contact in this situation but when having to go through the AI in lap 1 turn 1 on any loving track they've got no problem plowing right through you there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GutBomb posted:

Yeah it's really funny how they don't dare make contact in this situation but when having to go through the AI in lap 1 turn 1 on any loving track they've got no problem plowing right through you there.

On the other hand, it makes Ai races a little more fun. You can start at the back of the pack and reasonably climb your way to the front before the 4 lap sprint is over.

I assume Turn 10 did this intentionally instead of putting in rubber-banding.

silverbullitt850
Mar 6, 2012

Hey you guys like to troll? I've got some pretty sick trolling skills. Just don't expect me to read anything.

-Colon Cowboy
Alfa and Ford regs changed. Please note original post- Alfa now has min weight of 2500 lbs and max front downforce of 50lbs.

Ford now has max rear downforce of 150 lbs.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

Powershift posted:

Overall a very very lazy direct port of forza 3 cars. half of the cars don't even have the spoiler removal modeled, and the only aero options are the default forza splitter and terrible wing so if you want to add downforce, it just plops the goofy forza wing right down on top of the stock wing. The few that do have unique spoilers are pretty cool though.

Reminds me of a crappy old Newgrounds animation, and for twice the awful here's a Youtube rip, 3 3ast 3 3urious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4rtXYgqaPQ

That is mind-numbingly awful. Oh that incredibly obvious feature that everyone who plays our game is immediately going to check? Yeah, we didn't actually have a single person test that at any point during development. If you're going to be that lazy, just don't add the Forza wing, and have the upgrade allow adjustments. You can put a carbon skin on the existing wing, if you want visual feedback.

xzzy posted:

On the other hand, it makes Ai races a little more fun. You can start at the back of the pack and reasonably climb your way to the front before the 4 lap sprint is over.

I assume Turn 10 did this intentionally instead of putting in rubber-banding.

..except when they ram you in the rear end and destroy your car going into turn one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

TannhauserGate posted:

..except when they ram you in the rear end and destroy your car going into turn one.

If you're at the back, no one cam rear end you. :colbert:

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
So if I wait till this is on the in-game marketplace, I get a discount on it? Does this carry over to the UK too? How much of a discount is it points-wise? And is there any kind of guesstimate as to how long till it show up, or rather, works? I can see it there but when I try to buy it I get an error.

I'm really hoping to have some time this weekend to test them out, what are the chances of it working by Friday?

Cheers :)

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

TannhauserGate posted:

That is mind-numbingly awful. Oh that incredibly obvious feature that everyone who plays our game is immediately going to check? Yeah, we didn't actually have a single person test that at any point during development. If you're going to be that lazy, just don't add the Forza wing, and have the upgrade allow adjustments. You can put a carbon skin on the existing wing, if you want visual feedback.

For the love of god, that is an official Porsche racing spec rear wing, not a Turn 10 original!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

TannhauserGate posted:

Reminds me of a crappy old Newgrounds animation, and for twice the awful here's a Youtube rip, 3 3ast 3 3urious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4rtXYgqaPQ

Except that's actually what they look like in real life

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Powershift, for the grace of God please go back and edit your post so we don't have to deal with this for another week.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Xenoletum posted:

Fair enough, thanks for the help everyone, but I keep on trying AUGR and it's constantly shooting me back a message stating that it's full. I guess I'll just have to keep pressing my luck there.

I figured you trashy Euros wouldn't take us NASCAR loving, truck-touting Americans, but I figured I'd try anyway.
A few weeks back, I went through and kicked anyone below level 35. Sounds like I'm due for another round, This time with a floor of level 40.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

xzzy posted:

Actually, Microsoft has a "walled garden" version of the Xbox Live network so these things can be tested by developers, publishers, and Microsoft themselves. Part of Microsoft Technical Certification Requirements (TCR) approval for any sort of game DLC is verifying it displays, downloads and installs properly from the games marketplace. I get a feeling since T10 is part of Microsoft Game Studios, that they play much more fast and loose with the TCRs.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Falken posted:

Turn 10 are also able to turn off the awful looking motion blur and car wheel blurring when in motion so they can do awesome super slowmo shots with the wheels turning very slowly. We get a blurry mess.

Rig up a capture card and do the slowmo with your controller?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Ziploc posted:

Rig up a capture card and do the slowmo with your controller?
That's what I do, but the blurring and such is added into the replay regardless.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Ready for Wednesday!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

According to the FM forums, the VIP issue for the Porsche pack has been fixed.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Falken posted:

That wing is the proper Porsche 964 GT2 race car wing. The 1982 911 has options for GT car aero too, and also the ability to pull the aero off for a carrera look. Also, the Forza aero for the rear of the 1982 911 keeps the rear wing the same but just adds some black matte to the underside.

The 964 also has options for Carrera S4 body panels.

I don't see anything wrong with that other than how stupid it looks (it's way back and high over the car so presumably it gets clean airflow and a huge moment arm). Is this one of those things that makes perfect sense from an aerodynamics perspective but isn't permitted at race organizations because they don't want precariously attached deathfoils to come off and wang a spectator?

quote:

Oh good, the 962 race car can't even get to the top of R1. So the one car I was actually looking forward to in this lovely pack is useless. loving fantastic.

This is one of the things I hope they work on in the next Forza, the PI system is a nice system for quick performance matchups but it would be nice to have more specific competition restrictions and multiplayer rule defaults to make the cars that can't top out at whatever PI tier more competitive.

\/ \/ \/

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 22, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Oh good, the 962 race car can't even get to the top of R1. So the one car I was actually looking forward to in this lovely pack is useless. loving fantastic.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

I don't see anything wrong with that other than how stupid it looks (it's way back and high over the car so presumably it gets clean airflow and a huge moment arm). Is this one of those things that makes perfect sense from an aerodynamics perspective but isn't permitted at race organizations because they don't want precariously attached deathfoils to come off and wang a spectator?
They were legal. Just because it was high up, doesn't mean it was likely to fall off. It's on there pretty secure, and is merely an extension from the 964 GT2 road car rear wing.

Now, this looks and was dangerous.

Cubivore, you bitched about the pack for like 4 pages, and then you go and buy the pack anyway. Congratulations, I guess? Try the 944, 1982 911 Turbo, 964 GT2 maybe?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Falken posted:

Cubivore, you bitched about the pack for like 4 pages, and then you go and buy the pack anyway. Congratulations, I guess? Try the 944, 1982 911 Turbo, 964 GT2 maybe?

I'll probably throw together a 944 for the gently caress of it. It's a cool car.

And why the gently caress would I willingly drive a 911? I think I made my opinion on those shitboxes fairly clear.

I got two 1600 MS points cards from a friend at my graduation party Saturday, so I didn't really 'buy' the pack as much as downloaded it. If I didn't have any MS points then I wouldn't have gotten it. I figured 'Well, I like the 962 a lot, so at least there's that'. Welp.

VVV Seriously, it tops out at 934(?) PI. Completely useless. gently caress Turn 10.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cannot Find Server posted:

Welp, anyone know if I can get a refund for this pack? I'm kinda being half serious, because that's one of the cars I really wanted, but its totally useless at that range, it can't even compete against A.I. i'm sure. And i'm seeing right now that it can't even be used in the Porsche Event List, the game recommends you don't use it in the one event its allowed, which ironically has a picture of the 962.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I'm looking forward to getting the '73 RS and turning it into an old racing 1966 911S I saw at a car museum.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Falken posted:

They were legal. Just because it was high up, doesn't mean it was likely to fall off. It's on there pretty secure, and is merely an extension from the 964 GT2 road car rear wing.

Now, this looks and was dangerous.

I just assumed since I almost never see a wing up that high, there must be rules governing the mounting height in most classes. Your example is great though, it looks like someone just sawed out a pattern from a standard airfoil cross section and then told Earl down at the machine shop they needed it welded onto the car as soon as possible. (I want this feature Forza...)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just assumed since I almost never see a wing up that high, there must be rules governing the mounting height in most classes. Your example is great though, it looks like someone just sawed out a pattern from a standard airfoil cross section and then told Earl down at the machine shop they needed it welded onto the car as soon as possible. (I want this feature Forza...)

I might be wrong, but I think spoiler height regulations are focused more on limiting their effectiveness than potential safety issues.

The higher above the roofline that the spoiler elevates the more "clean air" the spoiler sees, allowing it to generate more downforce. They also tend to regulate how far back the spoiler can be. If you think of the rear tires as a fulcrum on a see-saw, the further back you place the spoiler the more effect it can have on pressing the tires into the pavement (at the expense of lightening the front tires).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Realize that's a 1968 Lotus 49; aero for purposes other than reducing drag was very poorly understood in motorsports at the time.

Seeing as Forza properly models active aero, I really want the Chaparral 2C. And 2J, complete with separate fan sound.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!
Forza Motorsports 4: :effort: Expansion Pack.

Not one of the cars that I've driven so far has really caught my interest or been genuinely fun to drive, which is a shame.

One other thing I've discovered - It's not entirely RUF's fault that their cars are poo poo in FM4.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

PopeOnARope posted:

One other thing I've discovered - It's not entirely RUF's fault that their cars are poo poo in FM4.

It isn't that way just in Forza, hth.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

The 911 racecars are very fun to drive. The GT3 Cup car (2011) is very poised, if lacking in straightline. The GT3 RSR (again, 2011) is much more aggressive, much less stable under acceleration and braking but fires out of the corners if you get it right. The 911 GT1 is just a whole different ballgame.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Falken posted:

The 911 racecars are very fun to drive. The GT3 Cup car (2011) is very poised, if lacking in straightline. The GT3 RSR (again, 2011) is much more aggressive, much less stable under acceleration and braking but fires out of the corners if you get it right. The 911 GT1 is just a whole different ballgame.

Glad to know those cars at least handle differently.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
New Badge and Title Unlocked

"Porsche Fan"

:c00l:

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Driving around in the 80s 911 turbo. I don't know how the hell anyone could drive this and not have bags of fun! after about 20-30 minutes pottering around turning it I unlocked 2 drifting achievements that I've somehow never gotten before. This 911 doesn't want to murder, it only wants love. Love and lots of hand-braking on the corners. I think its jumped upto be one of my top 5 cars to race in the game already.

962, major disappointment Pi-wise. Honestly I still think that putting a car out of reach of class maximum effectively makes it unusable online. Still bought one anyway, I'll keep it incase there's ever a lobby with odd Pi level cars, along with the pikes peak Suzuki.

Oh yeah, full maple reverse is the best track in the world. Massive air right before a long swooping turn, get it just right and you slide around the entire thing with momentum from the jump.

Now to figure out what to buy with the 15mil I have, are there any of the super-expensive cars that are worth getting?

Captain Hair fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

The Ferrari 250 GTO is very good when tuned to B500.

• Locked thread