Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Muffinpox posted:

I was going to quote your post and say "Not with an IRS, but a log" but gently caress.

Is that a next gen mule?

I wouldn't be surprised to see in in the 2014 model year as the 50th anniversary Mustang with some extra horsepower, probably a lot more than what we saw in 2013. I'm guessing we'll see direct injection at some point before the complete redesign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
As soon as they ditch the retro styling and add IRS they'll have guys like me coming over from other brands. The only decision for me will be whether or not to get the turbo model.

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve
I just realized that I could afford a '13 Boss 302 if I didn't mind not really buying any other toys until I get a raise. UNNGGGHH. GOTTA. HAVE IT. GREEN.

Unfortunately my other hobbies are also expensive-- shooting, skiing, skiing, dirtbiking.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Test drove a 2013 auto and manual today, both base models. Wasn't very impressed with the auto and neither had as much low end torque as I was expecting. Maybe I'm imagining things but it seemed like my 04 cobra pulled harder from a stop. They also didn't seem willing to sell for 29k, when the MSRP on both cars was like 32 and change.

\/ Not so much surprised as disappointed that the 5.0 wasn't as close as I was hoping it would be.

AWWNAW fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 9, 2012

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

AWWNAW posted:

Test drove a 2013 auto and manual today, both base models. Wasn't very impressed with the auto and neither had as much low end torque as I was expecting. Maybe I'm imagining things but it seemed like my 04 cobra pulled harder from a stop. They also didn't seem willing to sell for 29k, when the MSRP on both cars was like 32 and change.

Yes, your factory supercharged Cobra made more torque down low. This shouldn't be much of a surprise.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

AWWNAW posted:

\/ Not so much surprised as disappointed that the 5.0 wasn't as close as I was hoping it would be.

https://www.costcoauto.com

What gear ratio did your cars have? The manual can be 3.31, 3.55, or 3.73.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

coolskillrex remix posted:

https://www.costcoauto.com

What gear ratio did your cars have? The manual can be 3.31, 3.55, or 3.73.

Neither had the upgraded ratio, pretty sure the manual was 3.31.

AWWNAW fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 10, 2012

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Road_Warrior posted:

Control Blade is a cheap arse IRS unit adapted from a bum-dragger at the last minute for the BA Falcon because Phil Martens and Ford Australia couldnt agree on the mounting arrangement, amongst other things. It's penchant for making GBS threads carrier bushes and its stamped steel construction rules it out somewhat for Euro and US customers who won't really tolerate that sort of rubbish. The FG should have ditched it but because Detroit pulled the plug on the Global Rear Wheel Drive program, Ford AU had to go it alone and use the CB IRS due to lack of funds to develop another. The forged alloy double wishbone front suspension setup with virtual pivot is the only thing that made it through from the GRWD program. Or so I thought...
What the hell are you on about there? The AU (model) Falcon had a double wishbone setup, before they move to the control blade setup on the BA. Control blade has been hugely successful on cars like the Focus and has been great on Territory as well. I am not sure what you are on about there.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

AWWNAW posted:

Test drove a 2013 auto and manual today, both base models. Wasn't very impressed with the auto and neither had as much low end torque as I was expecting.

That's the only thing I'm disappointed with on my '11 automatic GT. The 3.15 axle ratio, plus the electronic throttle body, plus whatever torque management is there, plus a torque curve that isn't great under 3000 RPM... the combination all adds up to a car that doesn't feel very strong off the line. My LT1 and LS1 cars launched harder, and were way easier to do burnouts/donuts/powerslides.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Number_6 posted:

That's the only thing I'm disappointed with on my '11 automatic GT. The 3.15 axle ratio, plus the electronic throttle body, plus whatever torque management is there, plus a torque curve that isn't great under 3000 RPM... the combination all adds up to a car that doesn't feel very strong off the line. My LT1 and LS1 cars launched harder, and were way easier to do burnouts/donuts/powerslides.
There's a reason they do that. The average joe would almost literally tear the transmission apart if they didn't control the power electronically; a 420 HP car isn't really a streetable car without modern gizmos to prevent that.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Slow is Fast posted:

Dumb question time.

Dad's 05 3.8 v6 auto mustang is throwing codes.

P2106 - Throttle Actuator Control System
P2135 - Throttle Pedal Position Sensor / Switch
A/B Voltage Comelation? (I cant read his loving handwriting)

So what parts are we throwing at this to shut the computer up.

Anyone? Apparently the car has a 4.0 v6. Rock auto doesn't have any obvious tps switches or sensors that stand out on me. I'll have to troll the mustang sewers of the net to see what I can dredge up.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

Slow is Fast posted:

Anyone? Apparently the car has a 4.0 v6. Rock auto doesn't have any obvious tps switches or sensors that stand out on me. I'll have to troll the mustang sewers of the net to see what I can dredge up.

Yeah it's the 4.0 sohc, same engine as is found in the explorer and ranger. It's drive-by-wire in this application so I'm guessing the P2135 is referring to the sensor on the pedal itself. I believe that would be the "Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor" on rockauto under "Body-Interior." P2106 is probably a symptom of P2135. I'm not sure though--I've never seen that particular code before. I've never seen a problem with any DBW system before, actually. I would seek a second opinion before throwing a $100 part at it.

You may want to try taking the pedal assembly part, cleaning it all, and putting it back together.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

lazer_chicken posted:

Yeah it's the 4.0 sohc, same engine as is found in the explorer and ranger. It's drive-by-wire in this application so I'm guessing the P2135 is referring to the sensor on the pedal itself. I believe that would be the "Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor" on rockauto under "Body-Interior." P2106 is probably a symptom of P2135. I'm not sure though--I've never seen that particular code before. I've never seen a problem with any DBW system before, actually. I would seek a second opinion before throwing a $100 part at it.

You may want to try taking the pedal assembly part, cleaning it all, and putting it back together.

Taking something apart and cleaning it is rarely bad advice, assuming that you actually know how to do that.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Slow is Fast posted:

More than likely a dirty throttle body/connection.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Apparently Inside Line thinks the ZL1 is better than the new GT500.

quote:

1st Place: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
An unrivaled combination of precise control, ample power and a strikingly refined — and multitalented — chassis.

2nd Place: 2013 Ford Shelby GT500
More brawn than brains, which isn't a bad thing. Unless there's a ZL1 nearby.

Full disclosure: I haven't read the article because it's almost 6AM and I haven't slept yet, but I just cannot believe anyone could write those summaries unless GM threw a giant sack of cash at them. I'm not even so much upset because I'm something of a Mustang fanboy (I am), but because, from all the literature I've read, the Zeta chassis is a fat piece of poo poo.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Doesn't the ZL1 have magnetorheological dampers? I could see how that could lead to a conclusion of "multitalented chassis" vs normal dampers.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

sliderule posted:

Doesn't the ZL1 have magnetorheological dampers? I could see how that could lead to a conclusion of "multitalented chassis" vs normal dampers.

Yeah I think the ZL1 borrows suspension tech from the high end Zo6/ZR1. Its good stuff.

Shame its wasted on the camaro. Ive never driven one but ive sat in one and it feels like a nightmare in terms of visibility.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

coolskillrex remix posted:

Yeah I think the ZL1 borrows suspension tech from the high end Zo6/ZR1. Its good stuff.

Shame its wasted on the camaro. Ive never driven one but ive sat in one and it feels like a nightmare in terms of visibility.

I'm half convinced they actually wanted to limit visibility as much as possible, because it seems very unlikely that the outward visibility could be that bad by simple chance.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
It took me about a week of driving it before I got used to it. Once I got my mirrors adjusted properly I never had an issue.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
It Finally Happened! 6-14-2012 5:04pm, After 12 years of ownership My 2001 mustang (purchased Aug 2000) has finally made it to 22,222.2 miles. That is roughly 1851.85 miles driven each year.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Dick Burglar posted:

Full disclosure: I haven't read the article because it's almost 6AM and I haven't slept yet, but I just cannot believe anyone could write those summaries unless GM threw a giant sack of cash at them. I'm not even so much upset because I'm something of a Mustang fanboy (I am), but because, from all the literature I've read, the Zeta chassis is a fat piece of poo poo.

A heavier car Camaro managed to effortlessly outrun the GT500 despite having substantially less horsepower. How is that not a clear victory for the Camaro? They even reiterated at some point in the article that the GT is still their pick over the SS, but whatever Chevy did to the ZL1 was an amazing feat.

If you haven't seen the video of the ZL1 lapping Nueburgring, definitely check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWFP6LM-_q8

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
But it is heavier and has less horsepower so it is crap. Am I right?

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Hey now, can't we all just get along?

I miss the good old days when everyone hated on ze Germans.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

Gotta have it factor finds a way.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Also even without fancy suspension the camaro probably would have beat a live axle in backroads, which typically are pretty bumpy affairs. If you take the cars for track days, then put a stiffer FRPP suspension and i imagine the camaro would have trouble keeping up. 200 lbs lighter, 90 more horses does mean something in the right environment.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

Like I said when I linked it, I hadn't read the article before I posted it, so I didn't realize the ZL1 out-lapped the GT500. But hey, don't let details like that get in the way of making SICK BURNS, right brah?

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 15, 2012

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Dick Burglar posted:

But hey, don't let details like that get in the way of making SICK BURNS, right brah?

I wouldn't take it personally, that poo poo seems to be happening all over A.I. lately.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

No one buys a GT500 because they want to go turn some awesome laps times in it.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

frozenphil posted:

No one buys a GT500 because they want to go turn some awesome laps times in it.

Exactly, most of us buy them to do sweet burnouts in the parking lot when leaving work.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

OrganizedEntropy posted:

Exactly, most of us buy them to do sweet burnouts in the parking lot when leaving work.

That or so they have something to prop those creepy crying little kid dolls against at a car show.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I haven't posted in AI in years, back when I was still working on modding my deceased 1999 GT hardtop, however, I recently inherited a 1971 Mustang Boss 351 w/ sport roof.

It's completely original, with the original paint, glass, interior and everything else. Although, the engine was swapped with a clone taken out of a wrecked 351 we discovered in Mississippi back in 1999. The stock original motor is sitting pickled in Marvel Mystery Oil in a crate, waiting for someone to fix whatever was wrong with it (I honestly don't remember what the problem was).

From the dealership, this Boss came with a 3:91 rear diff, 4 speed transmission, Hurst shifter and the block is 351 "R" 4V. Well, I should say both engines are 351 "R" 4Vs.

Anyway, this Boss has a really weird quirk in its history. The car is white, and was bought that way from the dealership in Oklahoma in 1971. However, when I sent the VIN# into Ford to get the history of the car, it turns out that when the car rolled off the assembly line in Dearborn on 4/1/71 that it was grabber blue.

The car also has a couple of other weird quirks that aren't consistent with Boss 351s. The steering wheel is a two-spoke and the "351 RAM AIR" labeling on the hood is incorrect, because it should just say "RAM AIR."

Does anyone have any insight on how a car changes color between its trip from the factory to the dealer's lot?

I have been trying to figure this out, but to no avail. My dad purchased the car and was the second owner. The original owner never had it painted.

Actually, while I was typing this I found my car on Google Image Search, where it was actually featured in a "Hot Cars" series of pamphlets you coule receive by mail. I actually found its photo spread in that publication. Yes, this car is sitting in my garage back home:

So if anyone has any insight whatsoever, I would really appreciate it. I'm trying to find the next step to finish completing the car's full history.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 16, 2012

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

There are all kinds of weird things done to these cars on the assembly line back then. Your best bet is going to be contacting someone like Donald Farr (donald.farr@sorc.com), Jim Smart (thesmart67@msn.com), or Mustang Monthly (mustang.monthly@sorc.com) and asking them if they have any info for you. Be sure to give them all the info you have as they love digging into interesting cars, especially special ones like the BOSS. These guys have some amazing contacts.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Oh man, would you mind posting pictures of the car when you get a chance? The Boss 351 is my all-time favorite Mustang, hands down.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

frozenphil posted:

There are all kinds of weird things done to these cars on the assembly line back then. Your best bet is going to be contacting someone like Donald Farr (donald.farr@sorc.com), Jim Smart (thesmart67@msn.com), or Mustang Monthly (mustang.monthly@sorc.com) and asking them if they have any info for you. Be sure to give them all the info you have as they love digging into interesting cars, especially special ones like the BOSS. These guys have some amazing contacts.

Thank you so much for this. I really appreciate it. I'll definitely reach out to those guys and see if they have any idea how the car made a drastic color change with inconsistent changes made to other parts before it was available for anyone to purchase.

Only 1,806 Boss 351s were ever built, so it's touch to get consistent info on this thing.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Q_res posted:

Oh man, would you mind posting pictures of the car when you get a chance? The Boss 351 is my all-time favorite Mustang, hands down.

The one in that photo spread I posted is actually my car. Those pictures were taken at a studio in Beverly Hills before my dad bought it in early 1998, and I have the original studio shots in a strongbox in the closet.

If I can get my scanner working, I'd be happy to put up some pictures of it from some of the car shows we entered it in.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Well, I got a nail stuck right smack dab in the center of my tire so out came the "tire inflation kit" that I got instead of a spare. Surprisingly, it worked pretty well. Not as well as a goddamn spare tire, but I'm running around on a ghetto sealed tire with a nail in it until I can get to the tire shop.

A+ would puncture again.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Rabble posted:

Well, I got a nail stuck right smack dab in the center of my tire so out came the "tire inflation kit" that I got instead of a spare. Surprisingly, it worked pretty well. Not as well as a goddamn spare tire, but I'm running around on a ghetto sealed tire with a nail in it until I can get to the tire shop.

A+ would puncture again.

I pity the poor bastard that's going to have to work on your tire.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

MikeyTsi posted:

I pity the poor bastard that's going to have to work on your tire.

Discount Tire already fixed it, didn't even charge me for it which was rather nice. It's not my fault that it came with a tire pump instead of a spare, but I think the ford stuff was pretty easy to clean considering it didn't even gently caress up my TMPS sensor.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Lol I dropped from 5th gear to 4th at 45 MPH to beat a yellow light, I fukken chirped the tires just from that. That's the first muscle car thing I've done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Lol I dropped from 5th gear to 4th at 45 MPH to beat a yellow light, I fukken chirped the tires just from that. That's the first muscle car thing I've done

I squealed the tires on a parking ramp at Whole Foods; first time I've had to do an uphill start, and it wasn't the same as my old Mirage.