Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe
Languages: C#, C/C++, D, Java, JavaScript, PHP, Perl, Python, Ruby
Frameworks: Rails, Sinatra, Symphony
Things you like to do: Web apps, games, IRC bots that reduce productivity to a crawl
Availability: I'm available for freelance and full time work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.

clockwork automaton posted:

Languages: C#, C/C++, D, Java, JavaScript, PHP, Perl, Python, Ruby
Frameworks: Rails, Sinatra, Symphony
Things you like to do: Web apps, games, IRC bots that reduce productivity to a crawl
Availability: I'm available for freelance and full time work
Have you checked Highmark Pittsburgh? They have something like 50 developer jobs available for the Pittsburgh area.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

BonoMan posted:

Do you mind explaining "why?" I'll pass it on to our team that posts our job descriptions to maybe they can fine tune their descriptions.

When the spirit of first two sentences of a job ad are contradictory, it's less a matter of fine tuning and more a matter of being coherent.

Good programmers like coherence and are professionally pedantic. This is a good thing. When I read an incoherent job ad my brain goes into auto-skip mode. If you think this is "sperging" then please don't change your ad.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Novo posted:

When the spirit of first two sentences of a job ad are contradictory, it's less a matter of fine tuning and more a matter of being coherent.

Good programmers like coherence and are professionally pedantic. This is a good thing. When I read an incoherent job ad my brain goes into auto-skip mode. If you think this is "sperging" then please don't change your ad.

Oops sorry, no I got that part (and agree and have already passed on that feedback). I meant to ask what his beefs were with the 5 in HTML 5, WordPress and Facebook. I'm guessing because Web Devs generally look down on that type of thing?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
My beefs are not with what you do, it's not a beef either, it's a rolling of eyes at the two lines which contradict one another.

shrughes fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 14, 2012

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Going back for a reread, the posting is just full of typical job posting hilarity.

quote:

Direct and proven experience working with HTML5, CSS, PHP, MySQL, WordPress, and Facebook Apps

Not just experience,

quote:

HTML5, CSS3, PHP, MySQL

Double-experience.

Cock Democracy
Jan 1, 2003

Now that is the finest piece of chilean sea bass I have ever smelled
I'm gonna call it a moot point since nobody wants to move to Mississippi anyway.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Cock Democracy posted:

I'm gonna call it a moot point since nobody wants to move to Mississippi anyway.

Ding ding ding! Hell we even make fun of that internally.

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
Although I've never met Martha Stewart, I'll probably never birth her child.

BonoMan posted:

Ding ding ding! Hell we even make fun of that internally.

Have you considered remote workers/contractors?

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

Uziel posted:

Have you checked Highmark Pittsburgh? They have something like 50 developer jobs available for the Pittsburgh area.

I haven't yet, but I will. Was looking at a bunch of smaller places since the bulk of my experience is with startups.

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis
Just doing a crosspost from the Job Fair thread:

My experience: Software developer as a freelance contractor since 2006 for numerous clients. Notable recent work include SA's own Treytor (I built a developed an outgoing phone call system that handles 5 million calls a year) and the Something Awful Archive Search engine.

Here's my strong areas:
  • C#, .NET Framework, ASP.NET (especially MVC) and WinForms.
  • I can do VB.NET, but only if you let me stab you in the spleen first.
  • Java, but if this is a new project then you must have a good excuse.
  • C/C++. I can do these for smallish projects, or if you'd like me to maintain an existing program/system. Don't ask me to create a new GUI program as I lack competency in that area. I'm familiar with Win32.
  • Website design - I'm good at site design too, it's what I was doing before I learned to code (and what got me into Computer Science), but I've kept my design streak throughout my life as a coder.

About me: Fairly-recent Computer Science BSc. I got YoTJ this October, but until then I need some jobs to help pay the bills.

What I'm looking for: Anything that involves writing code and getting paid for it.

What I'm NOT looking for: Anything that doesn't involve writing code.

Where I live: Somewhere in the UK

Where I'm looking: Internet telecommute.

When I can start: Immediately. I'm available until September.

Can be reached via: PM, email: shsc.10.destructoid@spamgourmet.com

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I am looking for a part time Objective C Dev... Someone still learning is ok as long as they have "some" experience and can contribute. The ideal candidate will join my current coder in building IOS Applications in XCode as we have too much work for one person. We are looking to hire fulltime in the future as the team grows.

I am in the UK and am not expecting to get someone on Bangladeshi wages! We are willing to pay between £25 and £50 per hour depending on experience etc. If this is unrealistic please contact me and we can discuss...

If your interested please PM or Email SHSC@lionsprideit.co.uk

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:siren: Cross posting from SH&SC

This is pretty far in advance as I graduate in September, but I'll throw it out there I guess.

Job Seeker

My experience:

A five month internship that originated as me helping a small company migrate their local Access database to a cloud-based SQL platform. After this task was complete they kept me around to learn and set up their Sharepoint website and other administrative / help desk duties.
A second internship developing Windows Forms in C#. I've been here for about 3 months now and will be here for 2 more months until I graduate.
I also tutored associate-level students for a while during my bachelor's program.

About me: I would definitely say my strength is in C#, and I do enjoy .NET but I really like web development. PHP is my favorite, but not my best skill set. I also am really interested in Android development at the moment.

What I'm looking for: Pretty much anything, really. Something with growth potential and preferably something that will expose me to many different technologies. The company I work at now still have devs using Visual Fox Pro and I know my future here wouldn't offer much change.

What I'm NOT looking for: Help desk.

Where I live & looking for work: I'm in central Rhode Island, but I'm very open to relocation almost anywhere. I'm open to international work if it seems like a particularly cool thing.

When I can start: October 2012.

Reach me: PM me here or dleb669 at gmail.com

Bieh
Mar 18, 2009
I'm looking for a programmer to join a small existing team at a software startup on the beautiful tropical island of Mahe, Seychelles. As a teaser, here's the view from the office as I'm writing this. And I'm about two minutes walk from this kind of stuff.

We'll be doing mobile game development, across iOS and Android. Maybe a bit of web stuff too, the current project is Python/jQuery, though it should be completed soon.

Important things copy-pasted from the ad I posted on Elance:
  • Experience with cross-platform Android/iOS game development is preferred. Ideally you'll have a portfolio full of interesting projects we can talk about.
  • A (short, not-very-complicated) online coding test may be required, along with a Skype interview.
  • Assistance with relocation costs for talented candidates
Anyway, if you're interested and/or want more details, shoot me an email at paul@bieh.net

edit: wikipedia link, because people don't know where the Seychelles are :)

Bieh fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 24, 2012

Moreleth
Jun 11, 2001

lego my eggo
I sent you an email regarding the position but haven't heard back - sounds like you're getting a lot of interest? :)

Bieh
Mar 18, 2009

Moreleth posted:

I sent you an email regarding the position but haven't heard back - sounds like you're getting a lot of interest? :)

Yeah, sorry -- I've got quite a few emails to sort through. I'll do my best to get back to everyone by the weekend though :)

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
EDIT: position's been filled

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 3, 2012

GoatMonger
Oct 31, 2008
Cross post from the Job Fair thread

Languages: C#, VB.NET, SQL, JavaScript
Frameworks: ASP.NET MVC, WebForms, JQuery, Entity Framework
What I’m looking for: Full time web development
What I’m not looking for: Help desk / network administration
My Experience: Worked as a web developer for almost 3 years at a major university. Here I’ve developed, deployed and directly supported web applications. I’ve also managed a SharePoint site collection and done some programming with the SharePoint Client Object Model.
Availability: Full time

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

My office is looking to hire a senior developer who's really good at databases and concurrency and can think in terms of logic programming. They put up a job posting on Stack Overflow.

I think it's a pretty awesome place to work: the code is really cool, we work sane hours, (or you can work from home at night and sleep all day if that's your thing), and the other developers are smart and fun. It's a very small company so it's got a lot of the good aspects of a start-up, but you get paid with money and can see your family.

If you're interested, send me a PM or email: MniotSA@gmail.com. Even if you don't fit the posting, I'd be interested in talking to any Baltimore-area developers in case my office can be convinced to budget another new hire soon.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Give a hug - save a life.
Languages: Python, JavaScript/CoffeeScript, Ruby, PHP
Frameworks: WordPress, CodeIgniter
Things you like to do: Front-end web development, real-time backend services
Availability: Full-time, part-time or contract

I love to program and experiment with different things. Right now my free time is going into an entry for the Liberated Pixel Cup. I'd be a good fit in a mid-level position. My professional experience is all WordPress and CodeIgniter but I'd prefer to work in a Django/Rails/Node.js shop. I'd like to work somewhere I can create elegant/modular/reusable solutions to software problems.

I'm also good at whipping up front-ends if you have any Photoshop documents you need converted.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
Okay, our recruiter isn't able to find someone we like so I turn to this thread.

We're a .NET shop in the Payment Services industry. We're located in Jacksonville, FL and we are looking for experienced developers. Our team is small, consisting of three developers on our core product with one more who currently maintains the legacy product. We have varying experience levels with one of us being the Senior/Lead developer.

Our core product is an ASP.NET WebForms app written in C#. We have plans to begin converting it and other internal management apps over to MVC as time goes on. We work in a team environment, though we don't do a lot of pair programming unfortunately. I've been working on changing that though.

Telecommuting isn't an option. While we are very flexible allowing you to work from home on occasion, this position requires a regular in office presence. Sorry, I'm not a policy maker. :(

Since I'm not doing the hiring I can't offer a lot of details on compensation but we do get 3 weeks paid vacation right off the bat with a permanent fourth week granted at your 5 year anniversary. I don't think know if there's money to relocate you either, but who knows. If my boss likes you enough...

All I will do is take your resume and read it and maybe ask you a couple softball questions to make sure I don't get made to look like an idiot by association. If it (and you) pass the smell test I'll hand it off to my boss who will handle setting up the interviews.

Either PM me or email me at heath@logic-bomb.com (this is not my professional email address).

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

Looking for an Amazing Web Designer with strong design skills for contract to hire work. Would like someone with at least 3 years of experience with HTML, CSS, Javascript/JQuery and a familiarity with A/B Testing. Some CMS, Social Media and Photoshop/Illustrator stuff would be required as well. I can send more if that sounds fun to you.

No PM, please email me your portfolio/resume a joelifer7 at gmail dot com and I'll do my best to get back to you ASAP.

edit: I can't spell :eng101:

Bearnt! fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 17, 2012

Morgan_
Dec 12, 2004
Languages: C#/VB.NET, JavaScript, and Java
Frameworks: Anything .NET, Android, Spring MVC
Availability: part-time or contract
Things you like to do: I prefer to write back-end software.

Morgan_ fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 12, 2014

Captain Lou
Jun 18, 2004

buenas tardes amigo
Languages: Obj-C
Frameworks: everything iOS
Things you like to do: iPhone / iPad
Availability: Full-time

Full listing: https://jobs.github.com/positions/bdddf0bc-0807-11e2-8332-f213bb5284a2

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Job Seeker

Location: Looking to move to Denver, CO. Have housing arrangements already.
Languages: C#, C++, JavaScript/AJAX, SQL (MS SQL/Postgres/MySQL in order of proficiency), Ruby/PHP I'd have to re-acquaint myself with them but have done a fair amount of work with each in the past. Have been programming professionally for 4 years, and since the 6th grade before that.
Frameworks: .NET, ASP.NET, nHibernate, StructureMap, Dojo.
Things you like to do: I like programming. I do it all day at work, and then I come home and do it some more for fun. Embedded development, I'd have to come up to speed on, 3-D graphics I'd be starting from square one, systems programming is mostly what I do at home in my spare time, if it's making a C# SQL app, that's what I do all day and I'd be productive from day one. I like making stuff with a UI, I love making stuff with an API.
Availability: Looking for direct-hire full-time employment only.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

My company, ripe is looking to increase the number of freelance web developers in our rolodex. Please note that we are not looking for novice level coders (sorry). We're specifically looking for folks with the following skills:

• Lots of experience with WordPress and Drupal (Drupal is not absolutely necessary, but it'd be nice)

• Ability to take an approved .psd and code it into pixel-perfect thing of beauty.

• Past experience working with obnoxious detail-oriented designers who will annoy you with things like "That div is two pixels too far to the left! That blue #54a7cd when it should be #54a7cf!"

• Write semantic, (nearly) standards compliant, well documented code in various web languages (we tend towards open source, modern languages – advanced understanding of PHP / HTML / CSS / JS are bare minimum requirements).

• Ability to customize and create new plugins and widgets when necessary. I can't tell you how much I hate hearing "but there's not a plugin that does that."

• Inane things that I shouldn't need to mention but will: ability to meet deadlines, manage yourself, converse intelligently and professionally with clients if necessary, provide accurate quotes for both time and budget, etc.

Shoot me an email with your info and whatnot at ian [at] ripe [a period] com. Please make sure to include your rates or I will ignore your email. We're probably going to have some projects in the new year that we'll need some help with, so I'm trying to get some folks lined up ahead of time. Thanks goons!

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've never worked at a coding job before but do have a couple years of college and the aptitude for it. Currently working on ProjectEuler problems and personal projects to get back into the swing of things and to teach/relearn some languages. I have a github account and lots of little code samples that are available by request.

Job Seeker

Location: Pittsburgh, PA. Am willing to telecommute for temp.
Languages: C++, Java, MIPS (people use this, right?) and I'm teaching myself C# and PHP fairly quickly.
Frameworks: No frameworks. I am a little familiar with OpenGL, especially GLut.
Things you like to do: I really like coding in general, with graphics work being something I rather fancy.
Availability: Full, part, temp, and freelance/contract work.

I'd love to get a full time job but really am expecting some freelancing or part-time work just to build up my experience level (and pay the bills).

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!
This is a total shot in the dark, but I'm personally looking for a freelance developer to help me create a platform I've been wanting to build for a while.

Must have experience with PHP or Ruby (or some kind of equivalent).
Preferably, I'd like someone who is also has experience with using the Facebook API.

Now for the catch... I don't have substantial capital (I'm young and recently married if it puts things in perspective), so I likely won't pay the same as though you were working at a regular company. However, this is basically a moonlight/hobby gig so if you're up at odd hours, feel free to apply. I'd be happy to entertain pricing or feasibility estimates. PM me if you're interested.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

Wagoneer posted:

This is a total shot in the dark, but I'm personally looking for a freelance developer to help me create a platform I've been wanting to build for a while.

Hey wagoneer, shoot me an email on tristan@seditious-tech.com.

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
Although I've never met Martha Stewart, I'll probably never birth her child.
I'll just put this out there:

I'm a freelance web developer, and if you bring me a really interesting/challenging project, I may just give you 25 hours of free work on it.

I'm doing this to:

- Get some interest from new clients
- Find more of the types of projects that I'll actually enjoy working on
- Bring some crazy projects out of people (there are some people with great ideas, but they're hard, so they just put them on the back burner)
- Become less dependant on my current client base

Anyway, all the details are in the blog post linked above. A PM on here would also be sufficient (don't leave a project idea in the comments on my blog - I can't contact you from that, and I'm not about to try to track you down. Feel free to ask questions about it in the comments on the blog, though).

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

Wagoneer posted:

Must have experience with PHP or Ruby (or some kind of equivalent).
Preferably, I'd like someone who is also has experience with using the Facebook API.

Now for the catch... I don't have substantial capital (I'm young and recently married if it puts things in perspective), so I likely won't pay the same as though you were working at a regular company. However, this is basically a moonlight/hobby gig so if you're up at odd hours, feel free to apply. I'd be happy to entertain pricing or feasibility estimates. PM me if you're interested.

If you haven't found somebody for this already, I'd be up for it - you can get hold of me at joospotter (at) gmail.com. I've got about five years of experience with PHP, but somehow have never actually landed a project that's less than boring in that time so I'd be up for anything really.

Super Delegate
Jan 20, 2005

ƃɐlɟ ǝɥʇ
Languages: SQL, VBA, Python, PHP
Things you like to do:Database reporting,design,ETLs,and tuning
Availability:Freelance < 15 hours a week

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Give a hug - save a life.
Languages: PHP, JavaScript, HTML, CSS (I can work with Rails/Django/Node.js if needed)
Things you like to do: Building responsive design micro-sites with WordPress backend
Availability: up to 40 hours per week

I am looking for some web designers or agencies who want to offload some front-end web development. Just touch in with me and we can schedule it in. I do high quality work with recent projects to back that up. Thanks.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I've got a need for a UI/UX/HCI designer who has experience with principles of interactive data visualization to help put the finishing touches on an existing web-based dashboard with all sorts of datviz. It's built in D3/PHP/Postgres but the candidate doesn't need to know the code, they just need to have a firm understanding of design principles for presenting and interacting with complex datasets. This is in the Bay Area and so local is preferred but if you've got the right portfolio then that's more important. It's reasonably high profile if that's your thing.

Also, I didn't see a Design thread, so if this is too far afield, let me know and I'll repost in the right place.

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001
I bitch slap for a living - you want some?

TildeATH posted:

Also, I didn't see a Design thread, so if this is too far afield, let me know and I'll repost in the right place.

You may find some design overlap over in the CC Work for Hire thread.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.

BirdOfPlay posted:

I've never worked at a coding job before but do have a couple years of college and the aptitude for it. Currently working on ProjectEuler problems and personal projects to get back into the swing of things and to teach/relearn some languages. I have a github account and lots of little code samples that are available by request.

Job Seeker

Location: Pittsburgh, PA. Am willing to telecommute for temp.
Languages: C++, Java, MIPS (people use this, right?) and I'm teaching myself C# and PHP fairly quickly.
Frameworks: No frameworks. I am a little familiar with OpenGL, especially GLut.
Things you like to do: I really like coding in general, with graphics work being something I rather fancy.
Availability: Full, part, temp, and freelance/contract work.

I'd love to get a full time job but really am expecting some freelancing or part-time work just to build up my experience level (and pay the bills).
Not sure if this would work for you but I saw this today and remembered your post:
http://www.reddit.com/r/pittsburgh/comments/15697g/team_at_the_cmu_sei_hiring_software_developers/

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just wanted to say thanks for the heads up, even if nothing comes of it.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
May be a bit left field, but as not everyone who's into programming will be also a web developer (and might know people looking for services in that area) I figured I'd let everyone know.

I'm currently looking for casual salespeople for my webdev business, NetFactory - http://netfactory.co.nz/.

As advertised, if you forward somebody onto me and that turns into a contract, I'll give you 10% of the profit as commission.

(Also bear in mind I'm still going through the CSS and content for the site so it might be a bit plain in places at the time being.)

Depending on whether I close the contracts I am currently negotiating, I shall also possibly be looking for extra programmers on a contract basis.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Six years out of school working as a software developer and some electrical design.

Location: Currently in Minneapolis. Open to relocation to a major city. Already have living arrangement in Chicago if need be.
Languages: C#, C++, VB6
Want to learn: Ruby, Java
Frameworks: .NET
Things you like to do: Web apps, Client-side apps, Mobile apps

wide stance fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stochastastic
Jun 5, 2003
Looking for a job in Minneapolis. I have experience in large-scale high-performance computing and good software engineering skills.

Languages: C, C++
Things you like to do: High-performance computing / scientific applications / engineering, open to other things

stochastastic fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 14, 2013

• Locked thread