Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

n8r posted:

People that say cheap helmets work just as well as a high end helmet have never worn a nice helmet for long periods of time.

Cheap helmets work just as well as a high-end in a crash. High ends are going to be much nicer to rider around in (and or have fancier graphics.)

Helmets do wear out with age, so if you do decide to pick up a used helmet, pick up a recent one, one that's >5 years old is probably spent regardless of how it was used.

On that note if you want a cheap used helmet (or gear in general) ask around to any bros you know ride, they may have upgraded their gear and have some stuff lying around in a closet you can buy for cheap or just borrow for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/mcy/3060233292.html

Are these models decent? Is this a reasonable price? I'm looking at it for city riding, mostly.

*edit* I am a new rider.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Scope posted:

Are these models decent? Is this a reasonable price? I'm looking at it for city riding, mostly.

*edit* I am a new rider.
Great old bikes. But I'd run from that one. Dirty, crappy rattle can paint job, "Starts and runs but needs coils." If it starts and runs fine, why does it need coils? Very likely that it starts but runs like poo poo, which could be one of a dozen things, and could be expensive to fix, and you don't want that for a first bike. And if it doesn't run good, it's not worth $1000.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Snowdens Secret posted:

Cheap helmets work just as well as a high-end in a crash. High ends are going to be much nicer to rider around in (and or have fancier graphics.)

I don't think you can assume that a cheap helmet will do poorly in a crash or an expensive one will do well.
http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

These guys do certainly try to rate how well a helmet will do in a crash. No idea how much of a difference in safety a 1star helmet will protect you vs. a 5 star.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Scope posted:

*edit* I am a new rider.

In addition to what the Rev. Dr. said, that's not the stock seat (notice how it doesn't line up with the tank?), it's missing the side covers, and it'll certainly need new tires and chain -- 200-250 dollars + labor. If you could get it for half the asking price, it could be a decent restoration project if you're into that sort of thing.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

sofullofhate posted:

HJC something-or-other to Shoei RF-1100 to Shoei Qwest here. Just did 3,200km in 9 days with the Qwest in Spain; loving amazing lid. The solid colours are super affordable too. And extremely quiet.

My main complaint is that if you're not sweating, the top vent doesn't do much. Once it's hot enough that you're sweating, it's great - but until then it's all the chin vent, which isn't great for the top of your drat head.

I love my Qwest, but the chin vent is just... too good? My eyes dry up if I use it for longer than a few minutes at a time.

But the Bloodflow paint is just so goddamn good looking. As soon as I saw it I knew I had to have it. :shobon:

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

Thank you both for the advice. I may want to get into restoration in the future, but not yet.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Thanks for all the help you guys! I wound up picking up this guy today:

Arguably it's best (worst) feature:

It's an '85 Rebel with 10k miles. I picked it up for $840.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Two things:

1. Keep the artwork. Yes.

2. loving. Killer. Steal.

That looks way better than the newer rebels, too.

Please don't die!

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

My only concern is that he hasn't paid the registration on it for a long time. When I checked the vin and licence plate number on DMV's website it said I owed around ~$200, which I was totally cool with and went to buy the bike.

I also ran it through cartagz which said they would hit me with an email once they processed my request. Woke up to an email this morning saying the registration was $660... so we'll see how my trip to the DMV goes...

Either way, it's still a pretty good deal on a super clean, well running starter bike. It does need a new battery, confirmed by my mechanic, who said otherwise it was in fantastic condition.

LooksLikeABabyRat fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 18, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Woke up to an email this morning saying the registration was $660... so we'll see how my trip to the DMV goes...

Ouch. My guess is that $200 was your actual back-dated registration charges, and then there's an extra $460 in late penalties. Something like that.

If you show them a dated bill of sale, is there any chance of you getting out of it and the DMV going after the original owner? Or do those registration fees always follow the vehicle?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Ouch. My guess is that $200 was your actual back-dated registration charges, and then there's an extra $460 in late penalties. Something like that.

If you show them a dated bill of sale, is there any chance of you getting out of it and the DMV going after the original owner? Or do those registration fees always follow the vehicle?

I'm not up to date in any sense with my DMV legalese (so if anyone has any experience, let me know) but I have every bill of sale for the bike up to the original owner, and it hasn't been registered since the previous owner bought it back when the registration lapsed. So I'm hoping they'll cut me a break on that if I'm polite and explain everything fully, but it's the DMV so :iiam:

Pretty sure I'll be hosed though.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
What state/country are you in? Why are there registration charges for years the bike wasn't registered in, and why aren't they attached to the PO and the PO's credit history like a car? I'm used to paying registration fees at the time of registration for other vehicles and haven't registered a bike yet, so I'm wondering if this is waiting for me.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Splizwarf posted:

What state/country are you in? Why are there registration charges for years the bike wasn't registered in, and why aren't they attached to the PO and the PO's credit history like a car? I'm used to paying registration fees at the time of registration for other vehicles and haven't registered a bike yet, so I'm wondering if this is waiting for me.

San Francisco, CA. I think the fees and fines SHOULD be tacked to the other person's history, but here I think it comes/goes with the vehicle.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
So registration for anything you own is mandatory yearly?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Some states make the assumption that your vehicle is always on the road, so if it was unregistered, it wasn't because you weren't using it -- you were just driving it illegally. You are automatically charged late fees if you don't pay the renewal on time, even if you weren't driving the car while it was lapsed. You can occasionally get out of paying the extra fees by showing that you have not operated it on any roads in the state in question while the registration was bad, but unless you sold it or exported it you there's hardly any way for you to prove that in the first place.

Bad news for people with seasonal vehicles, low-use vehicles, vehicles that are constantly breaking down or lots of ongoing projects.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

There's a way around it in CA where you have to file a form with the DMV saying that the vehicle is non-op, which I guess means it's either non-operational or not being operated, and they don't charge you fees. You can't drive it legally, of course, but you can just pay the amount for one year when you take it off non-op status. I have no idea why the guy I bought the bike from didn't do that.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

You can occasionally get out of paying the extra fees by showing that you have not operated it on any roads in the state in question while the registration was bad, but unless you sold it or exported it you there's hardly any way for you to prove that in the first place.

I'm hoping this will be my out.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
poo poo, I had a pricey Volvo in a coma for two years in the parking lot, that would've been really irritating. Guilty until proven innocent; oh, California. :allears:

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

I'll post a trip report tomorrow if I can manage to get anything accomplished at the DMV. I made an appointment to get my learner's permit, so I don't know if they'll let me take care of the registration/title transfer at the same time.

CA: where getting a root canal is a preferable alternative to dealing with the DMV.

Update Edit: Cartagz now says the total to transfer the title and register it for a year is $315, so I'm going to see where that takes me.

LooksLikeABabyRat fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 18, 2012

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
For long distance 2-up riding over a mix of highway, paved, potholed, gravel, muddy roads what bikes should I be looking at?
I can't afford to go full retard with the BMW 1200 GSA apocalypse special. The wee strom/DL650 is more in my price range (5-6k) for < 5 year old examples with less than 10-15k miles.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

I'll post a trip report tomorrow if I can manage to get anything accomplished at the DMV. I made an appointment to get my learner's permit, so I don't know if they'll let me take care of the registration/title transfer at the same time.

CA: where getting a root canal is a preferable alternative to dealing with the DMV.

Update Edit: Cartagz now says the total to transfer the title and register it for a year is $315, so I'm going to see where that takes me.

Show up, play dumb, say the bike hasn't been ridden or out of the garage yet and that you're a poor student buying a cheap bike. Be nice and polite to the DMV people, ask if you can sign a statement of facts to say that it hasn't been ridden, and usually they'll cut you a break on the fees. The golden rule of the CA DMV: Treat them like real people and they will be good to you.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

GanjamonII posted:

For long distance 2-up riding over a mix of highway, paved, potholed, gravel, muddy roads what bikes should I be looking at?

Buell Ulysses. They have like an acre on the pillion for your passenger.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Can't go wrong with the vstrom 650/1000. General consensus is that the 650 is the more fun bike, but the 1k might be better for 2 up. I'd probably go with the 650 though.

More boring than the Buell, but will get the job done for sure.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Z3n posted:

The golden rule of the CA DMV: Treat them like real people and they will be good to you.

That's pretty much the golden rule everywhere and one I try to live by anyway. I'm just hoping they'll reciprocate.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Xovaan posted:

Two things:

1. Keep the artwork. Yes.

2. loving. Killer. Steal.

That looks way better than the newer rebels, too.

Please don't die!

Seconded.

I suppose the back reg fee thing breaks that way in Cali because you theoretically could run the thing year-round, whereas in Michigan, you're lucky to get six months a year (not counting the outliers who ride on a freak day in February, including me once upon a time). Here, if it's lapsed, the clock restarts when you re-register.

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.
A few days ago I posted this.

Dzus posted:

My uncle has a VF500 that he's willing to give me, it doesn't run and he doesn't have a working engine for it. We're pretty mechanically-minded in my family but I really just want to have a motorcycle. It would need a total overhaul/restoration including paint from what I've heard.

My question is divided into three parts:

Is 'free' worth it for the headaches the V4 causes?
Am I asking too much to find a running engine?
What kind of pricerange would I be looking at to restore it? Should I even bother?

I admit I'm quite tempted to take him up on it but I want something to ride this summer/fall, not a project.

E: I just finished the MSF course and looking for a bike is way, way harder than any of the tests that have been thrown my way.

Yesterday, I bought this.

And this came with it!

Along with a ton of spare parts, including front and rear wheels.

gently caress. I'm an idiot. An excited, anxious, happy, idiot.

Project thread to follow once I take possession of the bike.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
You are doing the right thing. :hfive:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dzus posted:

A few days ago I posted this.

Yesterday, I bought this.

And this came with it!

Along with a ton of spare parts, including front and rear wheels.

gently caress. I'm an idiot. An excited, anxious, happy, idiot.

Project thread to follow once I take possession of the bike.

This is going to be AWESOME. I'm sorry in advance for all the bullshit you're about to go through, but it'll only make your accomplishment that much sweeter.
For the love of god check the cams and oiling.

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.
It was my uncle's race bike, so he claims to be able to do anything on it with his eyes closed. I think he's as excited as I am to start working on it, and see it running again. The price on the engine was right, and the cams are good on his engine if we need to replace them. Well, so he says.

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006
So I whinged enough about the contemptible Bandit for the loan bike company to agree to change the bike. They have offered me a Honda CBF 600 or a YZF600R.

Which one is the most wixkedsik? I'm pretty sure both of them are duller than political debate but which one has more beans?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Keep the bandit.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
C'mon, which would you rather have, a Bandit, a Hornet, or a Thundercat

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Trip report: registration was $213. No faux surprise necessary.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Trip report: registration was $213. No faux surprise necessary.

gently caress yes. Enjoy your $1013 bike! Remember to always wear your gear, too. That is important. :ohdear:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

mootmoot posted:

So I whinged enough about the contemptible Bandit for the loan bike company to agree to change the bike. They have offered me a Honda CBF 600 or a YZF600R.

Which one is the most wixkedsik? I'm pretty sure both of them are duller than political debate but which one has more beans?

Google says the GSF600 (Bandit) is good for ~22,100 beans. The CBF600 is good for ~36,500 beans, but the YZF600R leads the pack at a whopping ~107,000 beans.

The choice is obvious. The Yamaha will get you killed the fastest.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Xovaan posted:

gently caress yes. Enjoy your $1013 bike! Remember to always wear your gear, too. That is important. :ohdear:

For sure! If we're going to be nitpicky, it technically was $1093 since I had to order a battery for it, but I'm far from complaining. As for gear, I got a Joe Rocket padded jacket, a sturdy new helmet fitted at the local shop and ordered Joe Rocket gloves. I'll be buying boots next time I get paid, but I won't be riding anywhere other than just up and down my street for awhile anyway.

Edit:
Anyone looking for gear in SF: the guys at Motojava sell Joe Rocket jackets for $150. My friend who has been riding for awhile was really impressed and went to go get one the next day.

LooksLikeABabyRat fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 19, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

GET THE THUNDERCAT

For sure! I got a Joe Rocket padded jacket, a sturdy new helmet fitted at the local shop and ordered Joe Rocket gloves. I'll be buying boots next time I get paid, but I won't be riding anywhere other than just up and down my street for awhile anyway.

Edit:
Anyone looking for gear in SF: the guys at Motojava sell Joe Rocket jackets for $150. My friend who has been riding for awhile was really impressed and went to go get one the next day.

If you want, we should meet up at some point and I'll give the bike a solid once over for ya.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Z3n posted:

GET THE THUNDERCAT

If you want, we should meet up at some point and I'll give the bike a solid once over for ya.

We can do that if you'd like, or even just go for a ride in a couple of months when I'm more comfortable! I brought my friend along for the purchase who's been working on his bikes for several years and he said aside from the battery all I need to do is get the chain lubed up and loosed (it was on too tight) and I should be good to go. He said in 6 months I should get the brake pads changed. The fact that I only referred to him as my "mechanic" and never my "friend" was part of the reason that they took us seriously and gave us such a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

We can do that if you'd like, or even just go for a ride in a couple of months when I'm more comfortable! I brought my friend along for the purchase who's been working on his bikes for several years and he said aside from the battery all I need to do is get the chain lubed up and loosed (it was on too tight) and I should be good to go. He said in 6 months I should get the brake pads changed. The fact that I only referred to him as my "mechanic" and never my "friend" was part of the reason that they took us seriously and gave us such a deal.

Doh, totally forgot that you mentioned bringing a mechanically inclined buddy to get the bike. We can definitely do a ride when you feel comfortable with it :)