Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ButterChugger
Oct 12, 2007

The Bible posted:

What happens to a kid that makes him like this? He immediately goes into insults and shrieking demands. It simply never occurs to him that some random griefer isn't going to obey him, especially if he goes more and more insane and enraged.

I would place a guess on being a spoiled brat because your parents get you everything you ask for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

Zaodai posted:

Tauren could get on one of the Mammoth mounts and do the same thing, and actually get so big it would block out the nameplate of some of the smaller NPCs. :pseudo:

You cant block nameplates. They show up over anything, and they dont even overlap each other; they will organize horizontally and vertically if there is several people standing in the same spot. A lot of people know that pressing 'V' will turn on enemy nameplates, but not as many know the Shift + 'V' will turn on friendly nameplates, so it works anyway.

I hate it when Taurens on big mounts cover mailboxes so you cant click them. There is no nameplate or anything for objects, so if someone does it right, the only way to click is to try wedge the camera up next to the mailbox so you can try and get the cursor to register.

Edit: vvvvvv I don't do that because I'm dumb.

FuzzyPickles fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 20, 2012

ButterChugger
Oct 12, 2007

Or you can zoom the camera in to first person view and walk into whoever is blocking what you want to interact with. Most people don't seem to realize that you can just walk right through other people, and even enemies and don't bother trying.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

FuzzyPickles posted:

You cant block nameplates. They show up over anything, and they dont even overlap each other; they will organize horizontally and vertically if there is several people standing in the same spot. A lot of people know that pressing 'V' will turn on enemy nameplates, but not as many know the Shift + 'V' will turn on friendly nameplates, so it works anyway.

This wasn't actually always the case. Particularly in enclosed areas where the nameplates have to deal with ceiling heights, you'd block neutral NPCs with your own nameplate, or with stacked people around you. For a few patches the mount itself would even be in "front" of nameplates that were decided to be on a separate rear row behind where you were standing.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Tauren could get on one of the Mammoth mounts and do the same thing, and actually get so big it would block out the nameplate of some of the smaller NPCs. :pseudo:

I did this whenever I had to go afk, just parked on an important npc somewhere.

No one knew that you could bind 'interact' to a key and just /tar <npc name> then hit the key.

Feats of Strength
Feb 9, 2012

Man, If god told me to sacrifice my son I'd tell
him to fuck off.
oh god just remembered Deerhunter 2005

In the multiplayer of that game it was almost impossible not to grief other player's even if you were trying to play normally.. Other player's would spend hours setting up elaborate deer bating zones, sat in little tents/proned in bushes dropping deer food, blowing deer callers, rattling antlers hoping the deer would come within a miles radius of them.

Basically, running around the map, shooting a gun, doing anything other than sitting in a hole or crawling along the floor looking for deer droppings made any deer in the vicinity hall rear end to the otherside of the map before you had a chance to get a shot off or even see them.

And for some unknown reason the developers added Quad-Bikes to the game, which of course had no use other than making a huge amount of noise. Naturally I teamed up with a friend and we went around on quad-bikes zooming around the "bating zones" more or less wrecking all of the effort people had put for some unknown reason into a virtual deer hunting game.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Peanut President posted:

z0mby, by complete coincedence, griefed the "DELETE THIS" kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RczKHUWyVb4 at 4:20.

I loving lost it at "willy's killing willy!" i am tearing up

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What is a deer call? As far as I was aware, deer sound like "aaaaacccccckkkkk"

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary

Cojawfee posted:

What is a deer call? As far as I was aware, deer sound like "aaaaacccccckkkkk"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTT71mKitYw&feature=fvwrel

I remember these things were everywhere in my high school.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why would a deer make that sound? I'm confused. This is just confirming my belief that deer are the worst creatures ever.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cojawfee posted:

Why would a deer make that sound? I'm confused. This is just confirming my belief that deer are the worst creatures ever.

There's a reason why people hunt them.

Terrible TF2 servers are usually pretty easy to grief. If they have HLDJ enabled then you could just load up some soundclips like this and micspam. Bad player tend not to know what the mute button does.

A Frosty Beverage
Sep 26, 2007

Full of vitamin chill
That's not what a deer sounds like.

This is what a deer sounds like.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Is it weird that one of my favorite things about it is that he uses Karma Police during the Gmod section?

Also, maybe i misunderstood what was going on, but does throwing back a grenade not mark any kills from that grenade to you? Or was he name-stealing the dude whose grenades he was throwing?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Feats of Strength posted:

oh god just remembered Deerhunter 2005

Wasn't there an absolutely hysterical thread about this game a long time ago? I don't think it was in this thread, I thought I remembered a thread dedicated to griefing this. I think I tried to buy the game after reading that thread but got busy and didn't, but the griefing sounded incredible.

Improbable Lobster posted:

There's a reason why people hunt them.

Oh hey, is that the source image for all those people who have avatars with those hands in them?

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
Yeah, I was wondering that too. Tineye has nothing, where's that from?

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

bucketmouse posted:

Yeah, I was wondering that too. Tineye has nothing, where's that from?

Adventure Time

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Some more World of Warcraft griefs I did, but they aren't as good as some of the other work that I and others have done.

As a hunter in the game you have a pet, a faithful animal companion that tanks and does extra damage. There was a glitch where you could make your pet "fly" over an area by using a spell to control the pet, have it jump over an edge, then cancel the spell. The pet would hover in air in the last place it was controlled. Kind of a fun little parlor trick....until you did it in raids near bosses, heh heh. Not a big deal, but kind of funny.

A favorite thing to do with the pet is if it dies you can keep "calling" the pet. To call the pet the hunter does a whistle animation accompanied by a whistling noise. Usually you whistle once, the pet comes back, all is well. However, if your pet is dead you just keep whistling. And whistling. And whistling. So of course Jastiger didn't know where his pet was so he had to keep whistling throughout entire raids because his pet is lost. The rage tears still taste good today; you can't mute one players emote sounds :haw:

Another one was an item called a "bundle of roses" or something. It was a valentines day item that I'm not sure exists anymore. What it did was shower the target with rose petals to show that you love them and was cute. It also worked on NPC's. It also scaled with their size. Que Best Hunter in the world Jastiger showering EVERY BOSS with rose petals. They get so huge you can't see anything as these massive rose petals obscure your vision while you're trying to take down this big beastie. A good example of this is using it on Gruul in Gruul's lair. Massive rose petals that make it very difficult to see his animations and the animations of your allies since the petals take up half the room. People would blame the petals for wiping since they can't see anything. I don't know if that is true or they were just bad, but I like to think its true:)

I also got suspended once for telling someone I'm going to ban them since rhyming is against the EULA. Still don't get that one.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
Any antics I have are comparably kind of tame. But I do have one I enjoyed. In world of warcraft, there's this item called Direbrew's Remote, or something like that. It spawns this drill machine right in front of you that takes you to a dungeon in the rear end-end of nowhere, to a spot about half way through it. In WotLK, it takes a good 30 minutes running to get from there to anywhere in Northrend if your hearthstone was on cooldown.

So naturally I had one of these, and I summoned it in every single raid I was ever in. Now, my regular group, we had a warlock and we could just easily summon in anyone we wanted. But most pubbie groups didn't. And the amount of rage this would generate is hilarious. I got kicked from more than one raid for it, but it was worth it.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Dr. Not A Doctor posted:

Any antics I have are comparably kind of tame. But I do have one I enjoyed. In world of warcraft, there's this item called Direbrew's Remote, or something like that. It spawns this drill machine right in front of you that takes you to a dungeon in the rear end-end of nowhere, to a spot about half way through it. In WotLK, it takes a good 30 minutes running to get from there to anywhere in Northrend if your hearthstone was on cooldown.

So naturally I had one of these, and I summoned it in every single raid I was ever in. Now, my regular group, we had a warlock and we could just easily summon in anyone we wanted. But most pubbie groups didn't. And the amount of rage this would generate is hilarious. I got kicked from more than one raid for it, but it was worth it.

I've done this too. I will never understand the average idiot's need to click on anything that appears, even if they KNOW what it'll do, but I'll admit it can be damned hilarious.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
That's actually a reflex that came easily if you ever did anything with a group. Warlocks had summoning portals that required people to click it and hold for a couple of seconds for the summoned person/ soul well to appear, Mages had a table that gave you free food to refill your health and mana. So after a while when you joined a raid or battleground people expected Mages and Warlocks to summon tables or soul wells and when some circular thing appeared in mid air you didn't think about it you just clicked.

Mages also had portals that would send anybody who clicked on it to a destination of your choice so it wasn't at all uncommon for Mages just to summon a portal to a capitol city at the rear end end of nowhere and watch half the group just disappear. You'd do this once or twice maybe in guild raids since it loses something when you actually have to keep playing with the people you're loving with but there's this huge 40 PvP with base assault battlefield called Alterac Valley. Just placing a Portal between all the tables and soul wells was hilarious every time even more so since it triggered a deserter debuff that didn't let anyone who clicked it rejoin any PvP game for 15 minutes? Maybe 30, I don't remember.

To add insult to injury you'd always use the portal to the Night Elf or Draenei capitol since nobody ever went there and getting back to civilization took a long time in early WoW.

Another thing was portal stacking, if you had more than one Mage and placed portals over or next to one another it'd be pretty much up to chance where you ended up unless you were paying really close attention.

Oh yeah, they clicked on those things because otherwise buying food costs money, some people would even get borderline hostile if you didn't place a table for them which costs the Mage money in the form of reagents.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Similar to that, there's a similar WoW grief out there that popped up recently. In the most recent patch, Blizzard introduced a mechanic called "Looking For Raid," where you'll be matched up with 24 random people to do the most recent raid. There's one point in the raid where the group travels to a place called the "Eye of Eternity" and fights a single boss there. It usually takes a while to actually get there because you have to sit through a lot of NPC chatter before they open up a portal and let you go. Now, during that time, you can exit the raid instance, while staying in the raid group, and make your way to a different raid, called Eye of Eternity, set in the same location, which looks almost exactly the same. There's also a certain spell you can use that teleports everybody in your group to your location. They'll get a message that looks like "x wants to summon you to Eye of Eternity." Most of them will click it without even considering that the NPCs hadn't opened the portal yet so there's no way someone in their group could have made it inside and suddenly they'll all be face-to-face with a huge blue dragon that most of them probably don't know how to fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iogr0MPewhg
(starts around 1:20)

Given the way people like to leave when something goes wrong, this can really wreck a group, and it's right at the end of this section of the raid, too, so anyone who wanted loot from the last boss of dungeon would have to queue up (often for 10-20 minutes) again and fight three other bosses before getting to the one they need loot from.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 20, 2012

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Oh, I played WoW for years, I know all about the clickable summonings. I also know that it was incredibly difficult to actually get people to assist in creation of summoning portals for some reason. I even get clicking on a mage portal without checking the destination - not something I ever did, but that's because I already knew the guild mages loved to do that.

I just never got the whole 'Hey, it's the drill that goes to BRD *click* WHY THE gently caress AM I IN BRD!?!?' thing. People would KNOW what it does, click on it, and still get pissed that they ended up there.

Made it extra hilarious, in my opinion.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Morglon posted:

but there's this huge 40 PvP with base assault battlefield called Alterac Valley. Just placing a Portal between all the tables and soul wells was hilarious every time even more so since it triggered a deserter debuff that didn't let anyone who clicked it rejoin any PvP game for 15 minutes? Maybe 30, I don't remember.

Mage: HELP, X PLAYER IS STUCK IN THE WALL. I'M MAKING A SUMMON PORTAL, PLZ CLICK.

You can guess how that went. :v:

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Morglon posted:

Another thing was portal stacking, if you had more than one Mage and placed portals over or next to one another it'd be pretty much up to chance where you ended up unless you were paying really close attention.

This is a time-honored tradition amongst Mages called "Portal Roulette." It is a fun game for the whole family.

A single Mage can go through his entire list of Portal spells and cast them without moving, so that the portals all spawn in the same exact spot. Clicking there will take you to any one seemingly at random.

The best part about portal roulette is that it's very difficult to tell that you're playing!

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2yjntzAcoE

Guys from myg0t coerce a kid into RDMing (random deathmatching, i.e. killing someone for no reason) in a gmod custom gamemode called Trouble in Terrorist Town. Then it just snowballs from there.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
Hahah, that kid just begs for it. But what's with this guys wallhack or something? It's been a long time since I've played TTT, but you usually can't see people through walls can you...?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Darval posted:

Hahah, that kid just begs for it. But what's with this guys wallhack or something? It's been a long time since I've played TTT, but you usually can't see people through walls can you...?
No, he's wallhacking. Myg0t videos feature hacks of whatever kind so often that I kind of end up not seeing them when I watch their grief videos

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Segmentation Fault posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2yjntzAcoE

Guys from myg0t coerce a kid into RDMing (random deathmatching, i.e. killing someone for no reason) in a gmod custom gamemode called Trouble in Terrorist Town. Then it just snowballs from there.

Need more TTT stories in this thread. Seems like a game so ripe for griefing.

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009
Really just gmod in general. It's a terrible game for terrible people, and it's only worth is as an engine for griefing (And it's helped a ton by terrible server owners who enforce rules based on say-so, and not controlled by any settings ("No spawning guns" for instance, but the weapon spawning controls are left completely unrestricted for instance)). There used to be a pretty common mod called gcombat for instance, let you strap various weapons onto equipment and such. People would usually just put a machinegun or two on cars or whatever, with the 'heavy' weapons simply being forbidden (but not really).

This would frequently end with the server crashing after rigging some doom cannon or another to a sentry turret and killing every living thing forever.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Just a quick question. As I don't play FPS games as a general rule, could someone please enlighten me as to what precisely RDM'ing and freekilling are? They've been used in a number of the videos, and all I've gotten from context is that they're some form of teamkilling.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Taliesyn posted:

Just a quick question. As I don't play FPS games as a general rule, could someone please enlighten me as to what precisely RDM'ing and freekilling are? They've been used in a number of the videos, and all I've gotten from context is that they're some form of teamkilling.

For games like Trouble in Terrorist Town, players are supposed to "roleplay" instead of just randomly killing other players. RDMing means Random DeathMatching.

Broand
Oct 13, 2011

Taliesyn posted:

Just a quick question. As I don't play FPS games as a general rule, could someone please enlighten me as to what precisely RDM'ing and freekilling are? They've been used in a number of the videos, and all I've gotten is that they're some form of teamkilling.

Basically, games like say TTT rely on a certain team being the target. RDMing is Random Deathmatching, which is killing people regardless of any evidence towards them and playing certain game modes as if they were a deathmatch.

Ogianres
Oct 21, 2008

Taliesyn posted:

Not realy. RDMing (Random Death Match-ing) is only relevant to games where you're goals is something other than [USE] [GUN] on [ENEMY].

In Trouble in Terrorist Town, where an uninformed majority is supposed to locate and eliminate an informed minority, you're are supposed to have reasonable suspicion before shooting at somebody (unless you're a traitor). Of course in practice people expect you to just not fire guns at all unless you and other people directly witness a murder, and inference and logic are banned.

EFB holy poo poo

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
I have only heard "freekilling" in CS:S Jailbreak videos, which basically means trying to play the map as designed instead of roleplaying pretend prison guards like idiot spergs.

RDMing (Random DeathMatch -ing) is in gametypes like TTT, where you're not really supposed to randomly shoot people and play like it's a deathmatch gametype. It's supposed to play out more like a murder mystery game, where a team of traitors are hidden within the group and need to kill everyone else to win, while the other players need to figure out who they are and kill them. If you shoot people without reasonable suspicion (or whatever the guys who play TTT think is "reasonable") or kill everyone randomly, that would be RDMing.

e. wow way 2 go

e2. One thing I liked to try and do when playing TTT by myself instead of with other goons was tell everyone (as the "Detective") that the quickest way to cleanse the group of traitors was to make it so that there wasn't a group anymore, and then kill everyone and win the round. Instantly permanently banned from 3 separate servers for this suggestion. I'm only trying to help, guys :( I also seem to have been banned on all Convict Gaming servers across every Source game for reasons I don't know or understand. Maybe TTT stuff, I don't know!

Smarmy Coworker fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 20, 2012

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Man TF2 players get pissed over the dumbest things. I went into a server and jokingly asked for some free junk items and they flipped out on me. I then spent the entire time just asking for free stuff and they just got angrier and angrier. They threatened me, my family and everything else you can think of. I didn't expect that to happen.

Edit: Oh, I was playing on a Furry server apparently, didn't know that. The guy who got pissed at me and threatened me and my family also was a Brony. I thought those guys were about free love and poo poo :v:

Cowman fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 20, 2012

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
The best part about TTT is that the player base has absolutely ludicrous ideas about when you're "allowed" to kill people. Unless you know about these convoluted leaps of logic then just playing normally will make people absolutely flip out.

To explain how TTT works, everyone appears friendly ("innocent") to each other during each round but about 25% of players are traitors, who win the round if they kill all the innocent players. You'd think this would make for a fairly nuanced and interesting game where people work out the traitors' identities through clues, suspicious actions and generally odd behaviour, but no! Instead, the playerbase consists of painfully stupid people and considers it a bannable offence to kill anyone you suspect of being a traitor unless you:
* see them kill someone else
That's pretty much it. So if someone follows you into a room away from the other players and points a gun at your head, you're not allowed to shoot them. Instead, you have to run away and tell everyone or let them shoot and kill you.

People will genuinely get apoplectic with rage if they are clearly a traitor and you kill them. Then you'll get banned :psyduck:

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Thanks for the clarifications, all!

The Supreme Court posted:

The best part about TTT is that the player base has absolutely ludicrous ideas about when you're "allowed" to kill people. Unless you know about these convoluted leaps of logic then just playing normally will make people absolutely flip out.

To explain how TTT works, everyone appears friendly ("innocent") to each other during each round but about 25% of players are traitors, who win the round if they kill all the innocent players. You'd think this would make for a fairly nuanced and interesting game where people work out the traitors' identities through clues, suspicious actions and generally odd behaviour, but no! Instead, the playerbase consists of painfully stupid people and considers it a bannable offence to kill anyone you suspect of being a traitor unless you:
That's pretty much it. So if someone follows you into a room away from the other players and points a gun at your head, you're not allowed to shoot them. Instead, you have to run away and tell everyone or let them shoot and kill you.

People will genuinely get apoplectic with rage if they are clearly a traitor and you kill them. Then you'll get banned :psyduck:

:psyduck:

Yeah, that just makes my head hurt. I think I'd rapidly wind up in the 'if I kill everyone who's not me, my team wins by default' crowd.

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
The first and only time I played I just had a feeling and shot this guy. loving banned in an instant.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Makes me sad that nobody plays The Ship anymore but apparently they play some lovely half assed gmod imitation of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

The Supreme Court posted:

This is simultaneously why I've liked the TTT stories I've read in this thread, and why I make it about ten minutes every time I join any sort of gmod server before shutting it back off.

Dicky B posted:

Makes me sad that nobody plays The Ship anymore but apparently they play some lovely half assed gmod imitation of it

Amen. Bought it when it came out, but it seemed to die pretty quick. During the last Steam sale everyone that owned it was given two extra copies to gift to people. No idea if that spiked the numbers playing it or not.

• Locked thread