Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
they had a father's day sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

JayKay posted:

With ICS finally rolling out to the Maxx, I have to admit I'm highly tempted to pick one up to replace/go with my Gnex.

Doing the very same. Stoked, Hoping to order tonight.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

EbolaIvory posted:

Doing the very same. Stoked, Hoping to order tonight.

I'm probably going to go the used Ebay/Craigslist route. We do have a upgrade left over on our account but I really don't want to renew a line since my contract is up in December and I'm really not sure if we're going to stick around with VZW after all the stuff with data.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

they had a father's day sale.

loving hell. Is it $100 better than the Razr? Or preordering a Galaxy (that still keeps unlimited data, right?)

Nannypea
Feb 20, 2006

Faster, you naughty little monkey!

Nannypea posted:

I've been reading/following and trying to figure out what everyone else is.

I can upgrade but want the Droid HD/Fighter but want to keep my unlimited data plan. So the options are:

1: Purchase an Iphone 4s and resell (new or used?)
2: Join Costco, upgrade there, and then return when the Droid HD/Fighter is released
3: Just suck it up and buy the SGS3 (sell or keep?)

Did I miss anything?

Any ideas when the Droid HD/Fighter will be released?

Which option is the way to go or are they all equal??? all this is too much for my little brain to figure out

joeshmoetogo posted:

1. iPhone retains more value new. Leave the shrink-wrap.
2. No guarantee Costco won't kick you off unlimited when you perform a device exchange.
3. Good option. Consider pre-ordering at Costco with this, noting the above.

Thank you for all the information.

Just to follow up. I'm going out of town and don't have time to drive into another town to sign up for CostCo so I just ordered a SGS3 through Verizon. Confirmed it has a 14 day trial period. Now just wait and see...

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

ElwoodCuse posted:

loving hell. Is it $100 better than the Razr? Or preordering a Galaxy (that still keeps unlimited data, right?)

$100 for incredible battery life for the next 20 months? I'd say it sure as poo poo is.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

pbpancho posted:

$100 for incredible battery life for the next 20 months? I'd say it sure as poo poo is.

Yeah it looks like it beats everything on battery life and that's huge for me. Oh well. The fighter was probably going to cost that anyway.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

JayKay posted:

I'm probably going to go the used Ebay/Craigslist route. We do have a upgrade left over on our account but I really don't want to renew a line since my contract is up in December and I'm really not sure if we're going to stick around with VZW after all the stuff with data.

Yeah but think about it this way, You'll keep your data for those 2 years so who cares. I've got the family educated about no more contracts and everyone says the same thing "ok, whatever, its cheaper than us losing unlimited".

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Is there a negative side to going through Amazon Wireless to add myself to an already existing Family Share Plan? Other than the large ETF. They have the Razr Maxx for $99.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

So if someone with an unlimited data plan preorders an S3 through Best Buy before the 28th but doesn't receive the phone until after the 28th is unlimited data still safe? Or does it only work if you order the S3 online?

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...
Will the fact that I rooted my phone and removed one of the bloatware programs have an effect on my ability to get the ICS update? I didn't load a new rom, just rooted the stock one.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

bigtom posted:

Will the fact that I rooted my phone and removed one of the bloatware programs have an effect on my ability to get the ICS update? I didn't load a new rom, just rooted the stock one.

99% of the time, removing bloatware wrecks OTA's. Your mileage may vary depending on how different manufacturers put together their updater scripts, though.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

ProjektorBoy posted:

99% of the time, removing bloatware wrecks OTA's. Your mileage may vary depending on how different manufacturers put together their updater scripts, though.

Thank you - hopefully my removing Madden NFL '12 doesn't screw things up. Why do carriers insist on loading phones will all this random software? Do they get kickbacks or something?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

bigtom posted:

Why do carriers insist on loading phones will all this random software? Do they get kickbacks or something?
Inconceivable!

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Verizon weird $30 'upgrade fee' is really arbitrary and dumb.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

td4guy posted:

Inconceivable!

Money is money I guess. Just annoying since most of them I will never use and take up space. Still love the phone and won't be giving it, or Verizon, up any time soon.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Aatrek posted:

Verizon weird $30 'upgrade fee' is really arbitrary and dumb.

They wanted to raise the price of a new phone without raising the price of a new phone. Easy way to do something like that.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Would this method of keeping unlimited data work?

We add my girlfriend to the account. She gets a Droid Razor Max, keeps it for a few days and decides she doesn't like it and wants to use my old Blackberry Tour.

She gives the phone to me, I take it to the Verizon store to activate it on my line, where I already have unlimited data. It's not using the official upgrade through Verizon, so it wouldn't disqualify me that way. I also don't have to spend $750 on a retail Droid Max, and she gets a phone she actually wants to use because it has a QWERTY keyboard.

My mother's line already upgraded and she is still eligible for the unlimited data, because her line would act as the anchor for my line's grandfather clause due to upgrading before the 28th.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

That'll work fine, but she'll be getting a 2GB data package on the Tour and adding her to your account is going to jump your bill by at least $60/month (more if you pay for text messaging) which is hilariously expensive for something as lovely as a BlackBerry.

A more cost-effective route would be to put your girlfriend on a prepaid carrier (Straight Talk, T-Mobile Prepaid, or Ting) and get her an inexpensive QWERTY phone. Preserving your unlimited LTE plan on Verizon is wise, but the market value of a RAZR Maxx is nowhere near $750 (even less if you're cool with a used one). Just buy the poo poo straight-up and deal your current phone on craigslist to defray the costs. By adding her to the account you're actually paying 150-200% of what her phone service is really worth for two years in exchange for the "discounted" RAZR Maxx. Trust me on this, the house always wins.

Unless she's dying to get Verizon service or whatever, I guess.

kbar fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 24, 2012

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

bigtom posted:

Thank you - hopefully my removing Madden NFL '12 doesn't screw things up. Why do carriers insist on loading phones will all this random software? Do they get kickbacks or something?

It almost absolutely will, just having TiBu on your system can keep it from loading.

I'm assuming you're on a Razr/Maxx; if that's the case and you didn't already load one of the leaked ICS files, you can just run Matt's Utility 1.7 and return to stock--it'll install all the bloat back and you'll be fine.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

kalibar posted:

That'll work fine, but she'll be getting a 2GB data package on the Tour and adding her to your account is going to jump your bill by at least $60/month (more if you pay for text messaging) which is hilariously expensive for something as lovely as a BlackBerry.

A more cost-effective route would be to put your girlfriend on a prepaid carrier (Straight Talk, T-Mobile Prepaid, or Ting) and get her an inexpensive QWERTY phone. Preserving your unlimited LTE plan on Verizon is wise, but the market value of a RAZR Maxx is nowhere near $750 (even less if you're cool with a used one). Just buy the poo poo straight-up and deal your current phone on craigslist to defray the costs. By adding her to the account you're actually paying 150-200% of what her phone service is really worth for two years in exchange for the "discounted" RAZR Maxx. Trust me on this, the house always wins.

Unless she's dying to get Verizon service or whatever, I guess.

She's currently paying a lot more for Sprint service, and my mother has a 24% discount on our bill through her company so it comes out to paying less. She's going to be paying her own bill and send my mother a check each month for her part, so she ends up saving about $25 a month. She's not worried about the 2 GB data limit because she has never had a smartphone before and is only getting one because her options for getting standard "dumb" phones are getting pretty low these days. She only really uses my phone for Internet browsing when we're doing something like looking up directions or a phone number when we're on the road, otherwise we use WiFi or the computer.

Also, Sprint has pretty bad coverage at her house while Verizon is about to expand the 4G network out to our area in south Georgia within the end of the year, last I heard. It's a pretty good time to upgrade for her part.

Edit: She's decided she wants a Droid 4 and will probably get one of those when we get me set up with my Razor Max. She found out about the keypad, I guess. Anyway, I'm glad to know this will work because I'm leaving for Europe on Wednesday and won't be back until July 28th, a month after the upgrade deadline so I'd be getting screwed out of a new phone unless I want to pay $750 retail. I'm also aware of the racketeering Verizon pulls off with their "discounted" phones. I don't want to play into their hands any more than I already have to, but I'm really worried about using Ebay for things that expensive. $540 seems to be the average, and that's a lot for a graduate student budget. I guess it's mitigated slightly because I've been with Verizon for almost 10 years and none of us are going to leave them because they offer the best coverage, and she was planning to abandon Sprint anyway and just get on my family plan because our discount makes it cheaper overall. The house always wins, true, but buying it close to retail, even at ~$540 is still really high. I'll stop bitching now because telecom companies can pretty much do whatever they want because we're stuck with the same four companies who either conduct business the same way or don't have the money available to offer comparable coverage. I hope Republic Wireless takes off when it comes out of beta because I like their way of doing business more, but they only offer one phone right now and it's not a very good one.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jun 24, 2012

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

It almost absolutely will, just having TiBu on your system can keep it from loading.

I'm assuming you're on a Razr/Maxx; if that's the case and you didn't already load one of the leaked ICS files, you can just run Matt's Utility 1.7 and return to stock--it'll install all the bloat back and you'll be fine.

This is one thing I like about my GNEX, no bloat. I forgot about all those crappy forced apps people deal with.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

HonorableTB posted:

She's currently paying a lot more for Sprint service, and my mother has a 24% discount on our bill through her company so it comes out to paying less. She's going to be paying her own bill and send my mother a check each month for her part, so she ends up saving about $25 a month. She's not worried about the 2 GB data limit because she has never had a smartphone before and is only getting one because her options for getting standard "dumb" phones are getting pretty low these days. She only really uses my phone for Internet browsing when we're doing something like looking up directions or a phone number when we're on the road, otherwise we use WiFi or the computer.

Also, Sprint has pretty bad coverage at her house while Verizon is about to expand the 4G network out to our area in south Georgia within the end of the year, last I heard. It's a pretty good time to upgrade for her part.

Edit: She's decided she wants a Droid 4 and will probably get one of those when we get me set up with my Razor Max. She found out about the keypad, I guess. Anyway, I'm glad to know this will work because I'm leaving for Europe on Wednesday and won't be back until July 28th, a month after the upgrade deadline so I'd be getting screwed out of a new phone unless I want to pay $750 retail. I'm also aware of the racketeering Verizon pulls off with their "discounted" phones. I don't want to play into their hands any more than I already have to, but I'm really worried about using Ebay for things that expensive. $540 seems to be the average, and that's a lot for a graduate student budget. I guess it's mitigated slightly because I've been with Verizon for almost 10 years and none of us are going to leave them because they offer the best coverage, and she was planning to abandon Sprint anyway and just get on my family plan because our discount makes it cheaper overall. The house always wins, true, but buying it close to retail, even at ~$540 is still really high. I'll stop bitching now because telecom companies can pretty much do whatever they want because we're stuck with the same four companies who either conduct business the same way or don't have the money available to offer comparable coverage. I hope Republic Wireless takes off when it comes out of beta because I like their way of doing business more, but they only offer one phone right now and it's not a very good one.

The Droid 4 doesn't seem to have great reviews, and honestly keyboard phones in general tend to be bastard children of non keyboard phones, especially support wise. I would look at only the Nexus or Razr Max android wise on Verizon. Regardless of what she says, how "little" she will use it or whatever, in the end when her phone has an issue its a huge headache for you.

I would only get her a Max, Nexus or iPhone honestly.

And for yourself just buy a used Razr Max on Craigslist, meet them locally at a verizon store, have a verizon rep check the phone (and if you do that before getting a new line through them, they will be inclined to help you more to boot. You provably would pay at most $300 if you look.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cojawfee posted:

This is one thing I like about my GNEX, no bloat. I forgot about all those crappy forced apps people deal with.

The thing is, you can uninstall Madden '12 on a stock Razr. You don't need to root or do anything funky to it. Many of the pre-installed apps can be uninstalled (Madden, Blockbuster, Let's Golf.)

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
So I have to chose my phone upgrade soon and I'm really thinking preordering the S3. Anyone here had a chance to try one out yet? The specs and reviews look great but I would like a goon opinion if one is available.

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008
My Droid 3 just kicked the bucket yesterday... only boots to a white static screen (like TV channel static). They're sending me a new/certified one :\ I wish I didn't have to send it back though. Rerooting and adding a ROM will be a pain.

Has anyone else had the static screen happen to them?

akurlej
Feb 17, 2011
So I would like to upgrade to a new phone before the 28th as I would like to keep my unlimited data plan. However, I'm torn between getting a solid 3G phone, upgrading to 4G phone right now (most likely the HTC Rezound), or switching to the capped data plan and eventually buying the new Incredible.

My biggest question, is 4G really worth it? The area I live in doesn't have 4G coverage yet, and the most data intensive apps I use are probably Spotify or Facebook. So, what option would you guys recommend most?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

akurlej posted:

So I would like to upgrade to a new phone before the 28th as I would like to keep my unlimited data plan. However, I'm torn between getting a solid 3G phone, upgrading to 4G phone right now (most likely the HTC Rezound), or switching to the capped data plan and eventually buying the new Incredible.

My biggest question, is 4G really worth it? The area I live in doesn't have 4G coverage yet, and the most data intensive apps I use are probably Spotify or Facebook. So, what option would you guys recommend most?

I don't think any of the 3g phones are really any more solid than the 4g phones (apart from the iphone 4s). If you ever travel, 4g would be nice, and they're pushing out 4g all over the place, so I don't see any reason not to get a good 4g phone instead.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

akurlej posted:

It's probably more of a question of what kind of phone do you want. The iPhone 4S is the only worthwhile 3G-only option at this point, the others are of the free-on-contract garbage variety. If you want Android, then go buy a MAXX or a Nexus.

If you don't want a 4S, and you don't like the 4G lineup now but want to burn your upgrade before the 28th, then your best bet is still to upgrade to the 4S and sell it. Then go buy the Incredible at full price when it comes out and keep your unlimited data.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Someone said unlimited 3G may be different from 4G unlim when you lock in. Can anyone comment on this?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

TenaciousTomato posted:

Someone said unlimited 3G may be different from 4G unlim when you lock in. Can anyone comment on this?

Data is data. It's just like the express lane on the highway - it's the same road, it just gets you there faster.

akurlej
Feb 17, 2011
Hmm, I'll have to think things over, but your guys' advice was helpful. Thanks!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Fluue posted:

My Droid 3 just kicked the bucket yesterday... only boots to a white static screen (like TV channel static). They're sending me a new/certified one :\ I wish I didn't have to send it back though. Rerooting and adding a ROM will be a pain.

Has anyone else had the static screen happen to them?

I have a Droid 3 and haven't seen that happen. Although the keys on my keyboard are starting to skip again...

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today
Is there any way to get a Droid Razr for $100 before June 28? Best Buy had them last week, but were back up to $200 today. Amazon Wireless lists it for $100, but I need to do an upgrade transfer, and that is not possible through their site.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aatrek posted:

Data is data. It's just like the express lane on the highway - it's the same road, it just gets you there faster.

Right now that is true, but I'm pretty sure they can tell which network you are using.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Right now that is true, but I'm pretty sure they can tell which network you are using.
And?

4g simply saves them money vs the cost of 3g, basically. It's why limiting usage is kinda ridiculous.

The Catalyst
Jan 29, 2003

I'm Mister Hundred and One.

akurlej posted:

My biggest question, is 4G really worth it? The area I live in doesn't have 4G coverage yet, and the most data intensive apps I use are probably Spotify or Facebook ...

Absofrickinlutely. I was running an iPhone4 for the last year+, and I just recently upgraded to a Razr Maxx. The difference in speed was night & day, almost makes me wonder why I waited so long to take the leap.

The Catalyst fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 25, 2012

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

The Catalyst posted:

Absofrickinlutely. I was running an iPhone4 for the last year+, and I just recently upgraded to a Razr Maxx. The difference in speed was night & day, almost makes me wonder why I waited so long to take the leap.

It's not just the speed, it's the capacity. I went to a Radiohead concert a couple weeks ago, meaning 10,000+ Verizon subscribers under the same tower. My friends all had their iPhones, I had my Razr. They couldn't even send a single tweet, let alone post pictures, etc. My Razr worked perfectly fine.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
My boss wants to get a mobile hotspot through Verizon when he upgrades to a smartphone this month, he is going with Android, wouldn't tethering work better in this case or should he go with the hotspot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

notwithoutmyanus posted:

And?

4g simply saves them money vs the cost of 3g, basically. It's why limiting usage is kinda ridiculous.

I agree, I actually meant they could start capping 3G speeds on unlimited customers first. AT&T does (or did) a form of that already.

• Locked thread