Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Erik The Viking posted:

:stare:

I can't wait for someone to post it so I can spend hours failing to be able to do it.

Lightning loops are cool. TAC infinites are cool. Anything requiring good execution is cool to watch. I'm sorry you feel otherwise. Nobody at EVO who is competing for thousands of dollars is going to care how "boring" anyone thinks their combos are to watch.

LOL at these "requiring good execution"

umvc3 is a fisher price caliber fighting game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Even Taskmaster is getting in on the action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejavslGaMhA

e: hohohohoho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ4b7DMLB5w

Erik The Viking
Apr 12, 2012

by Fistgrrl

Cat Machine posted:

TAC infinites are really boring that have none of the interesting risk/reward or strategic elements that MVC2 infinites had, it's literally a loop of three or four moves in the corner x10 or whatever until death.

1.5 years after vanilla comes out and people are still doing the :qq: MVC3 is not MVC2 :qq: elitism. Nobody cares.

Remind me why it's OK for people to come into threads about specific games and poo poo all over it again?

Zand posted:

LOL at these "requiring good execution"

umvc3 is a fisher price caliber fighting game.

I know you're probably just trying to troll me but this is a dumb thing to say. I watched FChamp practice the Magneto TAC infinite on fgtv last night for hours and even he couldn't do it consistently. Also MarlinPie drops combos. Stop pretending everything is so easy.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I'm not making GBS threads on UMVC3; I'm just giving my opinion that TAC infinites are not good for the competitive health of the game. It's also not elitism to point out that MVC2 infinites added a lot of depth to the game.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Considering Niitsuma's response to the DHC glitch, it's not outside of the realm of possibility that they'd go back and implement some sort of quick fix to address this newfound issue, anyway.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I think it's too late for EVO, but I could see this getting the boot afterwards, depending on how much it affects coming major tournaments. There are other infinites in the game that have been given a stay of execution seemingly because nobody replicates them in real matches.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Cat Machine posted:

I think it's too late for EVO, but I could see this getting the boot afterwards, depending on how much it affects coming major tournaments.

Oh it's definitely too late to change anything for Evo, but I could see them doing something about it past that, if they determine it to be as much of a game-changer as DHC glitch was.

Erik The Viking
Apr 12, 2012

by Fistgrrl

Cat Machine posted:

I'm not making GBS threads on UMVC3; I'm just giving my opinion that TAC infinites are not good for the competitive health of the game.

I would agree that TAC infinites were bad if they were really easy to do. Maybe by EVO all the top players will have them down pat in their muscle memory and it'll be boring as poo poo. If that ends up being the case then I'm more than willing to say I was wrong. Otherwise I'll be waiting to see if someone can pull off one of these at the biggest FG tournament in the world in front of a huge audience where thousands of dollars hang in the balance.

Cat Machine posted:

I think it's too late for EVO, but I could see this getting the boot afterwards, depending on how much it affects coming major tournaments. There are other infinites in the game that have been given a stay of execution seemingly because nobody replicates them in real matches.

This is a really good point. TAC infinites might not actually be practical in major tournaments after all. In which case nothing is lost.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Erik The Viking posted:

1.5 years after vanilla comes out and people are still doing the :qq: MVC3 is not MVC2 :qq: elitism. Nobody cares.

Remind me why it's OK for people to come into threads about specific games and poo poo all over it again?

I know you're probably just trying to troll me but this is a dumb thing to say. I watched FChamp practice the Magneto TAC infinite on fgtv last night for hours and even he couldn't do it consistently. Also MarlinPie drops combos. Stop pretending everything is so easy.
I'm not trying to troll you, and the difficulties two people have doing combos mean literally nothing in regards to my original comment. If you can't see why UMVC3 is a baby game on your own, I don't know how to convince you otherwise, you likely just lack the experience to see something that is extremely obvious to most anyone who has been playing fighters for years.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
People can and have pulled off much more difficult combos in high-stakes situations, so I don't really see it as out of the question.

Erik The Viking
Apr 12, 2012

by Fistgrrl

Zand posted:

I'm not trying to troll you, and the difficulties two people have doing combos mean literally nothing in regards to my original comment. If you can't see why UMVC3 is a baby game on your own, I don't know how to convince you otherwise, you likely just lack the experience to see something that is extremely obvious to most anyone who has been playing fighters for years.

I played MVC2 (badly) for the entire 10 years it was around and yes I understand the countless reasons why it's a better game than MVC3. I still think MVC3 is fun and I still enjoy playing it and watching tournaments where people play it.

You can call this a babby game or whatever all you want but there are still many things in this game that require good execution. If that wasn't true then top players (especially people like MarlinPie who are known for their execution) would almost never drop combos. Clearly that's not the case.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Cat Machine posted:

Aside from Cap's Vanilla infinite which got patched I can't think of any others(That don't require meter.) Got a link?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Combo dropping in this game really isn't due to the difficulty as much as the nerves, I think. Pretty much every single BNB is ridiculously easy, but folks seem to drop 'em when it counts. I guess it might be because making any mistake at all can potentially cost you the entire game right there due to how few chances you have to regain control of a match once the opponent hits you.

Honestly as a competitive game, the game is pretty rear end. Regardless of what folks think about the differing mechanics from MVC2, X-Factor is pretty much indisputable proof of that. Outside of that there's also a ton of issues, whether it's systematic or character specific. (Assists still coming out when being hit, the hitboxes/hitstun, the damage)

However, despite all of that it's also ridiculously fun to play, simply because of how drat good the game feels (and how 'open' it feels). If they could maintain the feel of the game while eliminating all the idiotic aspects at the very least it would be a "decent" game, but since Capcom is Capcom that will never happen.

Of course, folks really love to go in on it and the folks who play it because of whatever vendetta they've got with it too, so I guess there's a slight defensive reaction to "this game is rear end" since so many people have spent so much time on it.

edit:
Actually, I'm curious why people go in so hard on MVC3 compared to other games.
I don't think even SFXT got this kind of hate- it just kinda died as an accepted bad game. Did old games garner this much hate back then when they came out while maintaining a somewhat healthy community, too? Or is it just the love of MVC2 being the best game ever or some poo poo

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 27, 2012

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
It's a combination of MvC2 dying pretty much completely when MvC3 came out, and literally every system change from mvc2 to mvc3 being a bad change.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I'd rather someone kill me with an infinite that needs you to gamble on a 1/3 (or 1/2 if it works on directions on then down) chance of droping your combo so you can do a combo that for most characters is corner only and gives me lots of meter then do the disgustingly easy OHKO combos in this game that take like a third of the button presses/time.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Fereydun posted:

edit:
Actually, I'm curious why people go in so hard on MVC3 compared to other games.
I don't think even SFXT got this kind of hate- it just kinda died as an accepted bad game. Did old games garner this much hate back then when they came out while maintaining a somewhat healthy community, too? Or is it just the love of MVC2 being the best game ever or some poo poo

despite being a bad game, umvc3 is a fun game. the two are not mutually exclusive. assists give you so much variety to the game that its hard not to have fun with it (unless you are taking it too seriously, in which case its easy to not have fun)

Most games that are hated are not really played much or have an extremely short tournament lifespan (capcom fighting evolution, sengoku basara x, svc chaos being some examples)

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Now basically the whole cast is viable, and all it took was a gamebreaking glitch :thumbsup:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Aesthetically I really enjoy this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuwmG44G79w

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Cat Machine posted:

TAC infinites are really boring that have none of the interesting risk/reward or strategic elements that MVC2 infinites had, it's literally a loop of three or four moves in the corner x10 or whatever until death.

It's like SFA3 V-ism all over again

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
I think people are overstating these infinites pretty greatly still. Some of them are actually pretty difficult compared to just doing a normal TOD with most characters, while giving you full meter they also almost certainly give your opponent full meter, and you still need to start them with a TAC. Also if you're not playing against a pad player, someone who sits on the ground or on a head-to-head setup, its actually pretty easy to just look at someone's stick when they do a TAC and react accordingly if you assume they're going to do it. I usually just do that when playing against anyone who's Frank West level up strategy involves a TAC.

What you will see is players that already do a lot of TACs into certain characters to get kills (RayRay and Fanatiq come to mind in particular) start adding this to their bag of tricks. Forming a team around it is silly.

e: Marlinpie just said on the break stream he definitely wont be using it because it's far too hard with his characters. He did say that there's basically no reason not to do it with Magneto though, but he still thinks the risk/reward isn't that good for infinites vs normal combos.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 27, 2012

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006
Frank TAC fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO_FoduKvJs

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cat Machine posted:

What MvC2 infinite wasn't 4 attacks in a corner until someone died?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Liku posted:

What MvC2 infinite wasn't 4 attacks in a corner until someone died?

The one where the game has a hard limit that ended those combos early (in addition to giving Cable 5 meters while generating only half that).

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Didn't that only kick in after like 50+ hits?

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
Damage scaling in Marvel 2 is extremely harsh. The only infinite that generally killed in one combo was Iron Man's. Most of the big damage combos come off DHCs (Storm-Sent being the prime example) not infinites, which are usually used for the ability to go into a tricky reset at any point.

Here's a great example, a maximum length ROM:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRPQWxkpnwA, barely does half.

A five fierce (exactly what it sounds like) which does about 30%, followed up by a standing Sent infinte which does basically the same damage:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0_EE1gMZ5g

Rollie the Guar fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 27, 2012

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Even Iron Man needs to DHC at the end to kill a character from 100% with his infinite.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Brett824 posted:

e: Marlinpie just said on the break stream he definitely wont be using it because it's far too hard with his characters. He did say that there's basically no reason not to do it with Magneto though, but he still thinks the risk/reward isn't that good for infinites vs normal combos.

I guess he just has fisher price babby execution :smug:

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJS0FswTJtE

Good match, but I lost it at the power rangers.

Doom xfactor activation: "MAKE MY DOOM GROW!" :repulsa:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Danke found a practical Iron Man infinite. I am excited to lab these I just haven't had any time.

I tried the Sent down one a little last night and it was pretty easy to do a few reps.

Oh, and the Frank West one is cool. Instant level 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO_FoduKvJ

Dren fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 27, 2012

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Suddenly Wesker doesn't seem so broken anymore

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Sestze posted:

There's going to be a way for him to do it, he has the gun loop to finish it.

He's not really that broken either

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBN7fmwf2l4 Beyonzo!!!

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnu4DxEpqvI i really like nova's just for how simple it is after the set up, and for lots and lots of rocket punch.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Dren posted:

Danke found a practical Iron Man infinite. I am excited to lab these I just haven't had any time.

I tried the Sent down one a little last night and it was pretty easy to do a few reps.

Oh, and the Frank West one is cool. Instant level 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO_FoduKvJ

The link here...Youtube is complaining that 'an error occurred during validation'. Any ideas?

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
The worst thing about all these infinite videos is the people who think they have to make a mini-combo video before doing the TAC.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Bloodly posted:

The link here...Youtube is complaining that 'an error occurred during validation'. Any ideas?

I might've screwed it up.. here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO_FoduKvJs

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Brett824 posted:

The worst thing about all these infinite videos is the people who think they have to make a mini-combo video before doing the TAC.

I think that's to show that hitstun deterioration isn't kicking in x loops later. Adds a bunch of hits fast before going into a supposed infinite. Good example is zero can link j.mmh a few times normally on a jumping character.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Brett824 posted:

I like this, because they could've almost always just killed them with a DHC they built the meter for with that mini combo instead of doing an infinite.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Sestze posted:

He hasn't since like month 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Dren posted:

I might've screwed it up.. here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO_FoduKvJs

Is it strange that I like the fact that Frank's floating almost like a platform game character?(Hell, it reminds me of Viewtiful Joe.)

• Locked thread