Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Well I would have loved to have worked on this film. Three takes, no cuts!

Interesting poster idea, meh execution, way too much text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

His big work was The Wire and Prometheus.

I can't blame you for not watching the latter.

(oh, and the guard of the dimension portal thing in Thor)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRDB9R2_Jk4

Dillbag posted:

*Back in the days of shooting on film a normal camera roll was around 400 feet, so you could only shoot for 4-ish minutes before having to change mags. This gave the actors and crew time to reset, go over their lines, reapplyt etc. WIth the advent of digital recording to large format hard drives, you can shoot 4k 3D for almost an hour without turning the camera off. It can be very tempting for directors to be lazy and just leave the cameras running and go again and again and again, but it really fucks with your cast. Many actors lose their places, their performances get muddled, and they get burned out very quickly.

It's funny, because one of the big complaints with early RED cameras was the exact opposite: that the cameras were prone to crashing and the minute or two that everyone had to stand around waiting for it to reboot completely killed the flow and mood of all the actors and staff whereas with film that was never an issue and they could just keep shooting and shooting without interruption.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Dillbag posted:

Well I would have loved to have worked on this film. Three takes, no cuts!

Interesting poster idea, meh execution, way too much text.

Yeah the poster is kind of weak but it's one of my favorite movies to rewatch so I can't muster up much negativity. V :) V

I mean, it's a difficult movie to advertise so a poster showering it with praise is a good direction to take it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Farbtoner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRDB9R2_Jk4

It's funny, because one of the big complaints with early RED cameras was the exact opposite: that the cameras were prone to crashing and the minute or two that everyone had to stand around waiting for it to reboot completely killed the flow and mood of all the actors and staff whereas with film that was never an issue and they could just keep shooting and shooting without interruption.

Well having the camera die in the middle of a take and not knowing when it would be operation again is a little different from what he's talking about. The film equivalent would be something like shooting with rolls of unknown length leading to unpredictable roll-outs... and then not knowing where your other mags are.

But yes, the RED One was a poorly designed camera with frequent headaches.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Yeah the poster is kind of weak but it's one of my favorite movies to rewatch so I can't muster up much negativity. V :) V

I mean, it's a difficult movie to advertise so a poster showering it with praise is a good direction to take it.

Agreed. I still haven't seen it but I have been meaning to. I love the single-shot idea and am curious if it works well.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Here is an earlier sketch of the Mondo Return of The King poster which has much more legible text.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
That's much better, I wonder why they scrapped it?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Vaerai Archon posted:

That really looks like something out of Monster Hunter. It even has the same style of horns with their shape and placement of them.

It's a D&D Tarresque.

InVitro
Dec 23, 2008

I, Gary, the Scourge of Carpathia, the Sorrow of Moldavia, command you! Find me a child that I might live again!

Dillbag posted:

....cover for Dolph Lungren's terrible I Come In Peace

You...
Shut...
Your...
Goddamn...
Whore...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAVf_jsBqJk

... Everything about this rules. :colbert:

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Bugblatter posted:

Well having the camera die in the middle of a take and not knowing when it would be operation again is a little different from what he's talking about. The film equivalent would be something like shooting with rolls of unknown length leading to unpredictable roll-outs... and then not knowing where your other mags are.

But yes, the RED One was a poorly designed camera with frequent headaches.

The best thing about the RED One was when the fans would go beserk so you couldn't shoot sound. GREAT JOB GUYS.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

echoplex posted:

The best thing about the RED One was when the fans would go beserk so you couldn't shoot sound. GREAT JOB GUYS.

the fans stop when you hit record, i spent a year dealing with this camera, biggest problems were battery life and 90 second boot time

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!
A good 2nd ac would know when to power down and when to switch mag or battery.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Naw, the best part about the early REDs was when they recorded with the same camera roll number or forgot to increment at the beginning of the day and hosed post with identical file names for multiple masters.

:negative:

Thankfully, that poo poo's been fixed with the newer firmware and there should always be unique filenames.

Now, to make up for my negative comment about I Come In Peace, a movie co-starring Brian Benben that only exists because of the "and you go in pieces" punchline, how about a poster for a good Dolph Lungren movie?

And then there's this...

What the gently caress? You couldn't even be bothered to run a loving spell check?

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Jasta posted:

Agreed. I still haven't seen it but I have been meaning to. I love the single-shot idea and am curious if it works well.

It does. It's an absolutely astonishing film and I wish someone would hurry up and put out a blu ray of it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dillbag posted:

Naw, the best part about the early REDs was when they recorded with the same camera roll number or forgot to increment at the beginning of the day and hosed post with identical file names for multiple masters.

:negative:

Thankfully, that poo poo's been fixed with the newer firmware and there should always be unique filenames.

Now, to make up for my negative comment about I Come In Peace, a movie co-starring Brian Benben that only exists because of the "and you go in pieces" punchline, how about a poster for a good Dolph Lungren movie?

And then there's this...

What the gently caress? You couldn't even be bothered to run a loving spell check?

I know nothing about this movie, but is it possible he's Russian and they're going for a Russian spelling of detective? I also know nothing about the Russian spelling of detective so I might be wrong.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

zoux posted:

I know nothing about this movie, but is it possible he's Russian and they're going for a Russian spelling of detective? I also know nothing about the Russian spelling of detective so I might be wrong.

I also know little about how russians spell detective, but it probably looks nothing like the word detective.

edit:Детектив

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
There was a ... sequel :0 does Adkins complinent Dolph on his package in this one???

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

That's what I thought at first too, but his character's raised in Japan and there's really no connection to Russia at all in the first film. Haven't seen the sequel.

vvv I guess that explains why I've never heard of it until now.

Dillbag fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 10, 2012

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Sorry guys, the sequel poster is a pretty bad fake. Detective is spelled differently because the person making it spelt it wrong. The person who made it mentions it here http://www.mosquito.net/dolphforum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1079 and stated they did it for some Adkins contest.

Having said that, I hope Adkins gets a higher profile now. He's pretty great in the (Sadly underseen) 'Undisputed 3'.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

kaujot posted:

It does. It's an absolutely astonishing film and I wish someone would hurry up and put out a blu ray of it.

Amen to that. We'll be watching 4k/5k discs before some of the films I've been begging for on blu-ray ever surface. :smith:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

InVitro posted:

You...
Shut...
Your...
Goddamn...
Whore...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAVf_jsBqJk

... Everything about this rules. :colbert:

Haha, I saw this in the theater and this trailer contains every memory I have of the film. I simply can't think of anything else.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Wasn't Russian Ark shot in SD? I don't think there's any reason to wait for a bluray.

[Edit: Whoops. Nope, it was one of the early F900 features.]

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

Wasn't Russian Ark shot in SD? I don't think there's any reason to wait for a bluray.

[Edit: Whoops. Nope, it was one of the early F900 features.]

I've caught myself thinking the same thing with movies/shows before. I wish all TV had been shot on film. I have the original Star Trek on blu-ray and except for it being in 4:3, it looks amazing.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Actually, just about all narrative television was shot on 35mm prior to the most recent years. It's still fairly common on larger productions (Although the Alexa has been changing that rather rapidly over the last year).

I thought Russian Ark was shot in SD because I knew the single shot could only be achieved digitally, and 2K cinema cameras like the F900 weren't exactly widely available in '02.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

kiimo posted:

Haha, I saw this in the theater and this trailer contains every memory I have of the film. I simply can't think of anything else.

"YOU GO IN PIECES!" *BLAM*

So good... also, as a monstrously heterosexual male, I have to admit, there's just something about Brian Benben. God, I miss seeing him in movies.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

IMAX poster for The Dark Knight Rises

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Has there been an explanation for the goofy mask, or do I need to wait 12 more days?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Has there been an explanation for the goofy mask, or do I need to wait 12 more days?

It's a mask that disperses an painkiller inhalant. Apparently Bane suffered injuries in his younger days that are so painful that without the mask, he'd be in constant agony and might even die.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Bane wears the mask because it provides him with a painkilling medication, to help him with a serious injury he got in the past.

^^^^^^^^^
e:f,b

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

It's a mask that disperses an painkiller inhalant. Apparently Bane suffered injuries in his younger days that are so painful that without the mask, he'd be in constant agony and might even die.

Maybe Bane was a in the day care room of that ninja monastery that Bruce burned down?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Maarak posted:

Maybe Bane was a in the day care room of that ninja monastery that Bruce burned down?

Bruce goes to Gotham right after that, and the rest of the events of Begins take place in six or so months. Then there is about six months between Begins and Dark Knight, and eight years are beween that and TDKR. It's not unreasonable that Bane was in the Monastery as a fellow Ninja student.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Vagabundo posted:

IMAX poster for The Dark Knight Rises

I'm sorry, movie, it's impossible, you can't do it. Bane's mask still looks poorly-weighted and unbalanced.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Cons:

-Bane looks stupid.
-He doesn't look scary.
-I can't understand a word he says.
-That mask looks just...silly.
-I've never seen Tom Hardy in anything so he doesn't strike a chord with me in any way.
-Anne Hathaway rubs me the wrong way in most things, as Catwoman especially.
-There are football players blowing up. "Ain't life a bitch?" comes to mind.
-The Pittsburgh Steelers ruin everything.
-3rd films are terrible, see Spiderman, X-Men, Jurassic Park, etc.
-Nolan kind of appears worn out by the whole thing.
-I'm not fond of the print campaign at all.
-Heath Ledger is still dead.

Pros:

-Everybody who has seen it, people I trust, unilaterally declare it phantasmagorically awesome.

I am quite literally seeing this based on word of mouth. Ironic because those very mouths are working on a multi-million dollar campaign.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

kiimo posted:

Cons:

-I've never seen Tom Hardy in anything so he doesn't strike a chord with me in any way.

You whine about the dumbest poo poo sometimes.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I'd let Anne Hathaway rub me the wrong way.

Tsssss.

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you, I love you,
I love you, I love you
Night Man
Bane's breather looks like a rotated Goatse.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

kiimo posted:

Cons:

-Bane looks stupid.
-He doesn't look scary.
-I can't understand a word he says.
-That mask looks just...silly.
-3rd films are terrible, see Spiderman, X-Men, Jurassic Park, etc.
-Nolan kind of appears worn out by the whole thing.
-I'm not fond of the print campaign at all.
-Heath Ledger is still dead.

Most of the poo poo you're whining about is stupid and does not have any justification if someone says "so loving what?"

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Never seen Tom Hardy in anything? You sir, need to watch some more movies. He's very good and has been in some loving fantastic films.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008
Bane poster looks great, I love the old school horror vibe. It reminds of the TDK poster with Joker behind the frosted glass - very stark and menacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

You whine about the dumbest poo poo sometimes.

All I'm saying is that I don't think the campaign has been spectacular and it has a lot going against it for me personally. I'm not trying to convince anyone not to see it or anything or even to agree with my views on it.