Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Marv Hushman posted:

Are you unfamiliar with the concept of frivolous lawsuits?
I know that people seem to think they're rampant and reward irresponsible people but i never actually see it happen. Sometimes a sleazy lawyer will take on the case for a percent of the winnings but they don't often win.

You brought up some irresponsible person hurting themselves and suing the city, and I don't think that happens often, and if it did, i don't see them winning. Surely if these frivolous accident lawsuits are happening you could name one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
I hope someone says the Mcdonald's coffee suit so I can post a thousand links and a documentary proving them wrong.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah here's a pic cause this is gonna get dumb.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Yeah.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Here's a couple more from my folder

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Sagebrush posted:

Here's a couple more from my folder

:gizz:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Radio-Controlled
Mar 31, 2005
The man for the job.
So my neighbour across the street (a motorcycle mechanic) pulls into his driveway with these in the back of his truck.

This he says is a 1970 Norton Commando with different bars.

And this Ducati, freshly imported from New Zealand. I have no idea the of the model. Maybe one of you does.

Edited for table mercy.

Radio-Controlled fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 16, 2012

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Radio-Controlled posted:

So my neighbour across the street (a motorcycle mechanic) pulls into his driveway with these in the back of his truck.

This he says is a 1970 Norton Commando with different bars.

And this Ducati, freshly imported from New Zealand. I have no idea the of the model. Maybe one of you does.

There's no pictures.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

:wtc: This *is* a concept right? An electric concept I'm assuming? Or "performance art."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Boru posted:

:wtc: This *is* a concept right? An electric concept I'm assuming? Or "performance art."

It's...well...

quote:

nUCLEUS: SQUARE AGAINST AIR
We believe that a new breed of alternative fuel vehicles deserves a entirely new level of user experience. CHALLENGE: Why must motorcycles mimic each others DNA? Why motorcycles mirror ferocious animals from the wild, or have to grow from their deep brand imposed limitations? Are humans capable of doing it differently? With this in mind, and the desire to seek out inspiration elsewhere, nUCLEUS presented itself as the ideal, albeit uncommon, solution, away from the beaten path. It’s a motorcycle built on the antagonistic principle of square against air, The square side-view hides the fact that these interchangeable panels of lightweight – ultra strong composite material are simply blades from the front fierce blades that cut through air. nUCLEUS also boasts a thin comfortable saddle and animal-like behavior system – a new way to connect with your vehicle: it gets up on its hind legs (in action) and rests down squarely (while locked, at rest). nUCLEUS is an concept in development demonstrating what’s possible when the motivating idea is to push an entire product category to an uncharted territory. Contact us if you are interested in investing or supporting this project. There is a lot more to it. Do not copy, be inspired.

http://www.nonobject.com/nucleus/

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

nsaP posted:

I know that people seem to think they're rampant and reward irresponsible people but i never actually see it happen. Sometimes a sleazy lawyer will take on the case for a percent of the winnings but they don't often win.

You brought up some irresponsible person hurting themselves and suing the city, and I don't think that happens often, and if it did, i don't see them winning. Surely if these frivolous accident lawsuits are happening you could name one?

Municipalities get sued by motorcyclists all the time for poo poo as ridiculous as gravel being on a roadway. Are you suggesting that the presence of a legitimate license gives such a suit more merit, or that the absence of one lessens the likelihood one will be filed?

It's clear that you're driven less by curiosity here than by some attempt to paint me into a corner. In any event, some examples. And man, if I were a different sort of person, I'd be a millionaire right now.

http://www.cbdlaw.com/cm/results/motorcycle.asp

http://www.americanlawyeracademy.com/san-clemente-roadway-lawsuit

http://www.michiganautolaw.com/auto-lawyers-blog/2011/09/12/injured-motorcyclist-against-oakland-county/

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Marv Hushman posted:

Municipalities get sued by motorcyclists all the time for poo poo as ridiculous as gravel being on a roadway. Are you suggesting that the presence of a legitimate license gives such a suit more merit, or that the absence of one lessens the likelihood one will be filed?

It's clear that you're driven less by curiosity here than by some attempt to paint me into a corner. In any event, some examples. And man, if I were a different sort of person, I'd be a millionaire right now.

http://www.michiganautolaw.com/auto-lawyers-blog/2011/09/12/injured-motorcyclist-against-oakland-county/

Non of those are frivolous though. Especially the ones from the San Francisco page.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'd assume that an injury caused by neglect of a roadway during normal commuter/vehicle behavior is good grounds for a lawsuit.

In the Crash Test thread, my friend highsided from a terrible pothole going like 5 miles under the speed limit. Had he not been wearing his gear, he'd have likely been severely injured, but his bike was pretty messed up in the process. Should the city not be responsible for damage caused by their own road neglect?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Marv Hushman posted:

I was saying neither of those, I was saying exactly what I typed. That there are rants about frivolous lawsuits, but that frivolous lawsuits aren't as rampant as people think. The links you posted seem to agree with that, most of them seem like legitimate complaints on the rider's part. It's hard to tell with only small descriptions however.

I don't think we're going to see eye to eye on this so it's probably best to just disagree before the thread becomes crap. I shouldn't have brought it up.

edit: It's not just an attempt to paint you into a corner. I was curious about it at one time as well, so I went to find examples of irresponsible people winning bullshit lawsuits. I didn't find any I can remember. Judges aren't afraid to throw out bullshit.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 16, 2012

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
I know. Your points are valid. Many big payouts are actually urban legends. I just happen to be in a town right now that has been suing and counter-suing itself into oblivion for the last several years, and it has become a theater of the ridiculous. I often forget that it isn't this way everywhere.

Anyway, bears riding motorcycles. I am intrigued. I must know their secret.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Xovaan posted:

I'd assume that an injury caused by neglect of a roadway during normal commuter/vehicle behavior is good grounds for a lawsuit.

In the Crash Test thread, my friend highsided from a terrible pothole going like 5 miles under the speed limit. Had he not been wearing his gear, he'd have likely been severely injured, but his bike was pretty messed up in the process. Should the city not be responsible for damage caused by their own road neglect?

Potholes, gravel, and roads under construction with undulating surfaces and sharp edges are the rule rather than the exception in Michigan. Frontwing, I didn't read the entire suit, but I'm sorry, someone who can't handle roadway construction needs to just sit home. Same with gravel--pick up your damned bike and press on. Eat the cost of your own bent handlebars and boo boo on your elbow and you'll be less likely to do it again. Is there some expectation that we're going to have street sweepers riding up and down every mountain in this country 24x7? Chain gangs with brooms, maybe?

Xovaan, I'm glad your friend is OK, it had to be a monster if it took him down. I honestly don't know how a motorcycle wheel comes out the other side of some of the ones I've seen.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

gently caress all them angry lookin rocket machines, I'mma ride me a fridge.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

An observer posted:

gently caress all them angry lookin rocket machines, I'mma ride me a fridge.
Looks better than a Multistrada.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Looks better than a Multistrada.

For a BMW guy you have a lot of Ducati hate :v:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
"As a real Ducati owner, I'm allowed to hate the Multistrada"

(He has a Ducati too)

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Marv Hushman posted:

Potholes, gravel, and roads under construction with undulating surfaces and sharp edges are the rule rather than the exception in Michigan. Frontwing, I didn't read the entire suit, but I'm sorry, someone who can't handle roadway construction needs to just sit home. Same with gravel--pick up your damned bike and press on. Eat the cost of your own bent handlebars and boo boo on your elbow and you'll be less likely to do it again. Is there some expectation that we're going to have street sweepers riding up and down every mountain in this country 24x7? Chain gangs with brooms, maybe?

Xovaan, I'm glad your friend is OK, it had to be a monster if it took him down. I honestly don't know how a motorcycle wheel comes out the other side of some of the ones I've seen.

Yeah the pothole was huge and the shadow cast on it was extremely deceiving and made it look like a tar snake. Palomar Mountain sucks rear end really but the state of disrepair of California roads is abysmal.

With the amount of money we spend on gas and taxes I'd expect my roads encrusted with magic really

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Crazy Russian biker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZXgxolem_U&feature=related#t=1m6s

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

What is crazy about that other then that absolutely hideous motorcycle?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Valt posted:

What is crazy about that other then that absolutely hideous motorcycle?

Well, always fun to hear Black Sabbath covered in a Slavic language.

Something appropriate about starting this bike up in the middle of winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBwgV6Nc_2I

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Look at the "about us" page and bring out your bullshit bingo cards.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

Aw man. I saw the words "crazy Russian" and the word "Ural," and expected to see a great big bearded dude putting a knee down while popping the sidecar up in the air. Or driving through a flaming hoop which an accordion player in the sidecar. I guess stereotypes set up unattainable expectations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Xovaan posted:

Yeah the pothole was huge and the shadow cast on it was extremely deceiving and made it look like a tar snake. Palomar Mountain sucks rear end really but the state of disrepair of California roads is abysmal.

With the amount of money we spend on gas and taxes I'd expect my roads encrusted with magic really

What? Palomar is great. I've never seen a pothole there, just a single curve that always seems to have a lot of dirt and small rocks on it.

ReggieCelsius
Feb 1, 2007

snortsly
that awkward moment when the guy coming first celebrates one lap too early..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=6iwnnE12HCM

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Boru posted:

Aw man. I saw the words "crazy Russian" and the word "Ural," and expected to see a great big bearded dude putting a knee down while popping the sidecar up in the air. Or driving through a flaming hoop which an accordion player in the sidecar. I guess stereotypes set up unattainable expectations.

I immediately expected these guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zxxM9EYQzY

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ReggieCelsius posted:

that awkward moment when the guy coming first celebrates one lap too early..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=6iwnnE12HCM

and that awkward moment when you realize it's already been posted.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

YES! That's pretty much what I had in mind too when someone says "crazy Russian(s) riding a Ural." I love the laugh that the guy filming has going, he sounds like Axle Foley. "Hee Hee Hee!"

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

blue squares posted:

What? Palomar is great. I've never seen a pothole there, just a single curve that always seems to have a lot of dirt and small rocks on it.

The back end going down toward 79 is one of the worst roads I've ever driven/ridden on. Going up is totally fine though!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

urgh those poor bikes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I like how after you notice the size of the guy on the right, you realize that there's a second pair of legs and he's just the pillion rider :psyduck:

The maxi-scooter can probably handle her weight though. What is that, a Burgman? Silverwing?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

I like how after you notice the size of the guy on the right, you realize that there's a second pair of legs and he's just the pillion rider :psyduck:

The maxi-scooter can probably handle her weight though. What is that, a Burgman? Silverwing?

I'm not sure. A friend posted that pic on facespace.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Is he wearing a hockey helmet?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

I didn't even notice :psyboom:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I am enjoying the extra helmet on the back of his bike and her lack of a helmet.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Those shocks have got to be completely bottomed out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pope Mobile posted:

I am enjoying the extra helmet on the back of his bike and her lack of a helmet.

It's a scooter! You don't need a helmet, it's not like it's a motorcycle or something :downsgun: