Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

rotor posted:

eclipse is poo poo made by the unholy combination of academics, open sores shitheads and IBM

please stop tiny bu-- shagga-- rotor?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

HineyBorelTheorem posted:

esperanto is the platonic ideal of language, imo
in the sense that everyone who wants to learn it is asexual

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
eclipse is useful for StatET, not much else

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
there's places where eclipse is the least awful thing, but java developemt isn't one of them.

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

INTERGALACTIC CAN CHAMPION

Casao posted:

yeah it's really hard to beat cpan for this poo poo

"I want to use oauth to create an account on my web app from Facebook. Oh look, there's 3 free libraries that do this with simple commands and they're all obsessively documented and comparing why you'd use one vs the other."

i dunno, i want to try loving with ruby for a web app, but perl+cpan is so simple

i just did oauth for 5 different providers using the standard ruby gems and it was fairly painless as far as these things go

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i have the worst of eclipse every day.

its not eclipse.

its a house developed app that used eclipse in its entirety as a base and built upon that to make an app nothing like eclipse in function

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sniep posted:

its not eclipse.

its a house developed app that used eclipse in its entirety as a base and built upon that to make an app nothing like eclipse in function

there should be laws against making software like this

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
http://chaoscollective.org/projects/builtinspace.html
https://vimeo.com/45314708

looks cool

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

catchin' up.

tef posted:

linguistic prescriptivists :rolleyes:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Sniep posted:

its not eclipse.

i shudder to think what dark incantations were used in the development process.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

rotor posted:

there should be laws against making software like this

its like someone googled "what is a modular extensible multiplatform application +open source" and came up with eclipse and saw java and said "perfect! we got some people who know the java!"

and history of bad applications was written

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
eclipse is deffo the best ide. intellij sucks and you have to make up for its suckatude w/ terrible shell scripts.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
nuke maine + washington

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

"Who's cool and has two thumbs? This guy!"

Shaggar posted:

eclipse is deffo the best ide. intellij sucks and you have to make up for its suckatude w/ terrible shell scripts.

just look at this wrong post. IntelliJ is gods own IDE. (it's why the world is hosed [god is a programmer {programmers are awful}])

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

dang the github client for windows is actually pretty rad

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

Sulk posted:

in before "java owns --shagger" but based on the little bit of looking at them I've done, java's docs seem to be just so much loving better and more organized than pretty much everything else out there

the more you know
android's (downloadable) javadoc (http://developer.android.com/reference/packages.html - though i preferred their previous less flashy incarnation) is ace. the default javadoc generates unnavigable poo poo that looks like it was designed by an unimaginative monkey in ~1993, the android version where each class autocompletes at the top-right of the page is neat.

as to the ideas behind javadoc, im not a huge fan of it. it fills up your code with html-ridden usage-based documentation, if you're reading the source code you want to know what's going on with the internals, having the amount of stuff you can see on screen (assuming you're not autohiding all javadoc comments in your awesome ide) is severely reduced because each javadoc block is 50+ lines of shiiiiiiit. i want to see internal documentation that describes the implementation strategy and wtf the internal variables do, having to glaze over loving reams of html containing largely duplicated comments (where 5 variants of method doX() have almost word for word blurbs filling up the screen inflating your .java file sizes) is antithetical to code clarity.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

homercles posted:

android's (downloadable) javadoc (http://developer.android.com/reference/packages.html - though i preferred their previous less flashy incarnation) is ace. the default javadoc generates unnavigable poo poo that looks like it was designed by an unimaginative monkey in ~1993, the android version where each class autocompletes at the top-right of the page is neat.

as to the ideas behind javadoc, im not a huge fan of it. it fills up your code with html-ridden usage-based documentation, if you're reading the source code you want to know what's going on with the internals, having the amount of stuff you can see on screen (assuming you're not autohiding all javadoc comments in your awesome ide) is severely reduced because each javadoc block is 50+ lines of shiiiiiiit. i want to see internal documentation that describes the implementation strategy and wtf the internal variables do, having to glaze over loving reams of html containing largely duplicated comments (where 5 variants of method doX() have almost word for word blurbs filling up the screen inflating your .java file sizes) is antithetical to code clarity.
just give variables non-poo poo names

also javadoc makes you insert HTML instead of little tags like yard lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

javadoc was a loving revelation when it was first introduced

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

altho I guess that might have had more to do with widespread acceptance of html than anything special about javadoc

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
gently caress vim go emacs

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Gogey posted:

gently caress ... emacs

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

someone just mad they cant send mail while codin

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
i try to keep rms-derived software out of my life

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

rotor posted:

old geezer rotor "lemme tell ya bout the first javadocs..."

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

rotor posted:

only because sun went to the trouble of writing their docs which they would have done anyway, god the java libs i've seen with no-effort javadocs, why would someone even upload that poo poo

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

rotor posted:

keep using it until such time as you're actually making money off it then swap it out for something legal

being able to make money off it isn't the issue; it's just the principle of the thing

i just don't wanna use CC-NA-FARTS instead of the MIT license I always use :s

e: wow i need to not post before 7am
("i need to not post," etc)

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 17, 2012

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.

Gogey posted:

I'm curious how it feels being the worst kind of person.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Gogey posted:

Look at you with your hilarious 'edgy' opinions

we get it youre different

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Emacs is just superior, get over it.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

oh boy oh boy let's talk about text editors!!!

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

phpstorm is pretty cool too

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Anal Tributary posted:

oh boy oh boy let's talk about text editors!!!

vim or st2 in vintage mode

anyone have a printable cheat sheet for vim that doesn't look like this: http://tnerual.eriogerg.free.fr/vimqrc.pdf

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
there are no good linux text editors. they all suck. vim is poo poo and emacs is poo poo

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Shaggar posted:

there are no good linux text editors. they all suck. vim is poo poo and emacs is poo poo

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

fidel sarcastro posted:

anyone have a printable cheat sheet for vim that doesn't look like this: http://tnerual.eriogerg.free.fr/vimqrc.pdf

http://i.bf1c.us/vim-cheat-sheet.pdf

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

EDIT.COM

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

fidel sarcastro posted:

and yea ST2 in vintage mode is what I usually use.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i use the hell out of ST2 and i should probably switch it over to vintage mode

i don't really know how to chain vim commands together, but i know enough memorized shortcuts i can do stuff like usual, if occasionally slower

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
do vimtutor and poo poo, its worth it to learn how to do that stuff, makes a lot of repeated tasks way easier. ST2 vintage defaults to starting in insert mode anyway so you can pretend it isn't there for the most part if you are lame. I changed it to default to normal mode ofc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Vim is great. I tried to type in some text and now my whole computer is in Arabic.