Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

vapid cutlery posted:

it's cool how tihs always happens. some company or govt body that has been doing things successfully for over 50 years shares some insight into how they do things, and goons come out of everywhere to tell them they're wrong
adaz isn't a JPL developer thank god and it's his "explanation" i'm dismissing not the jpl document that he's using as an authority, come on ahhh spiders there's no way you are this dense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

Gazpacho posted:

adaz isn't a JPL developer thank god and it's his "explanation" i'm dismissing not the jpl document that he's using as an authority, come on ahhh spiders there's no way you are this dense

you didn't link to the quote so i assumed it was from the document

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
so yea that guys a dumbass

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
2012: year of lua in space

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Rule 14 (checking return values)
The return value of non-void functions shall be checked or used by each
calling function, or explicitly cast to (void) if irrelevant. [MISRA-C:2004 Rule
16.10; Power of Ten Rule 7]

Rule 15 (checking parameter values)
The validity of function parameters shall be checked at the start of each
public function. The validity of function parameters to other functions shall
be checked by either the function called or by the calling function. [MISRAC:2004 Rule 20.3; Power of Ten Rule 7]

This is consistent with the principle that the use of total functions is preferable over non-total functions. A total function is setup to handle all possible input values, not just those parameter values that are expected when the software functions normally.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Rule 14 (checking return values)
The return value of non-void functions shall be checked or used by each
calling function, or explicitly cast to (void) if irrelevant. [MISRA-C:2004 Rule
16.10; Power of Ten Rule 7]

Rule 15 (checking parameter values)
The validity of function parameters shall be checked at the start of each
public function. The validity of function parameters to other functions shall
be checked by either the function called or by the calling function. [MISRAC:2004 Rule 20.3; Power of Ten Rule 7]

This is consistent with the principle that the use of total functions is preferable over non-total functions. A total function is setup to handle all possible input values, not just those parameter values that are expected when the software functions normally.

So, justifying these with Therac-25:

14: "Is the return value sane? If we don't care, make it explicit." Some compilers actually enforce/bitch if you get values but never use them. If you get a return value but never use it, why are you calling the function? If it's for the side effects, is the return value telling you something you need to know and you're just ignoring it? If so, this section of code needs to be reviewed for "why."

quote:

The engineer had reused software from older models. These models had hardware interlocks that masked their software defects. Those hardware safeties had no way of reporting that they had been triggered, so there was no indication of the existence of faulty software commands.

The hardware provided no way for the software to verify that sensors were working correctly (see open-loop controller). The table-position system was the first implicated in Therac-25's failures; the manufacturer revised it with redundant switches to cross-check their operation.

If the hardware was returning values and the software wasn't checking it, beep boop you just rape rayed somebody into oblivion.

15: "Make sure functions are called with valid arguments."

quote:

The software set a flag variable by incrementing it. Occasionally an arithmetic overflow occurred, causing the software to bypass safety checks.

JPL's rules are borne out of studying critical software systems: i.e. ones where lives or expensive poo poo are at risk and not just nudie videos or xml bullshit.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

i know crazy poo poo happens in space but if you cant even trust your ALU then you better shield that poo poo until you can

Attack of the Cosmic Rays!

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

i am a cowboy coder

a SPACE cowboy coder

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

it's actually a 32-bit powerpc just like my olde ibook
serious question: why do NASA and defense contractors love these CPUs so much?

i seem to recall the F-22 and F-35 using powerpc CPUs as well.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~bianca/papers/sigmetrics09.pdf

quote:

Our data covers the majority of machines in Google’s fleet and spans nearly 2.5 years, from January 2006 to June 2008. Each machine comprises a motherboard with some proces- sors and memory DIMMs. We study 6 different hardware platforms, where a platform is defined by the motherboard and memory generation.

[…]

Conclusion 1: We found the incidence of memory errors and the range of error rates across different DIMMs to be much higher than previously reported.
About a third of machines and over 8% of DIMMs in our fleet saw at least one correctable error per year. Our per-DIMM rates of correctable errors translate to an aver- age of 25,000–75,000 FIT (failures in time per billion hours of operation) per Mbit and a median FIT range of 778 – 25,000 per Mbit (median for DIMMs with errors), while pre- vious studies report 200-5,000 FIT per Mbit. The number of correctable errors per DIMM is highly variable, with some DIMMs experiencing a huge number of errors, compared to others. The annual incidence of uncorrectable errors was 1.3% per machine and 0.22% per DIMM.

these machines have an atmosphere, magnetosphere, buildings, and heavy cases to protect them

spacecraft don't

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

the f-22 was born from the advanced tactical fighter program which started in 1990 or so, when the power architecture was hot poo poo

the f-35 is also made by lockheed and probably had some engineers overlapping

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

because they love 'em, know they work well, know vxworks for ppc works well, and know that their engineers work with all of the above well

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
hey what i was sayin early about adaz and jpl, that was just :spergin: pay it no mind

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Nice!

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

they know about the megahertz myth

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

hm, I thought they might somehow be more reliable/resilient in adverse conditions

i guess it just has more to do with the fact that these projects take decades to finish

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

because they love 'em, know they work well, know vxworks for ppc works well, and know that their engineers work with all of the above well

also the only rad-hardened x86 cpu intel produced until recently was a 386 variant

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

non-commodity hardware is more expensive which makes padding budgets easier. "we gotta have these arcane procs because of magic so no price is too much"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hm, I thought they might somehow be more reliable/resilient in adverse conditions

i guess it just has more to do with the fact that these projects take decades to finish
they are, because they can get radiation hardened ones, because nobody bought anyone else's radiation hardened chips

Nomnom Cookie posted:

also the only rad-hardened x86 cpu intel produced until recently was a 386 variant

and then they quit making 386 variants and now don't make any or didn't make any when these projects were started

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

they are, because they can get radiation hardened ones, because nobody bought anyone else's radiation hardened chips

and then they quit making 386 variants and now don't make any or didn't make any when these projects were started

nah they've made 386s for fuckin ever and just stopped a couple years ago. now there's a new one that's probably sandy bridge or something

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

they use radiation hardened chips

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
my motherboard is military grade

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
http://www.baesystems.com/product/BAES_028145/rad750-family-of-products

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

i spray painted camo onto my keyboard so that should count for something

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

tef posted:

they use radiation hardened chips
neat

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Nomnom Cookie posted:

nah they've made 386s for fuckin ever and just stopped a couple years ago. now there's a new one that's probably sandy bridge or something

yeah that's what i said

but sandy bridge wasn't around when they started curiosity and you don't switch CPUs in the middle of a project especially if it's a new unproven one and your project is already hella over budget

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

can i get a rad hardened billy bass?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
my keyboard is black so its already space camo

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

rad-hardened parts are going to be the next crazy in high end gaming rigs

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah that's what i said

but sandy bridge wasn't around when they started curiosity and you don't switch CPUs in the middle of a project especially if it's a new unproven one and your project is already hella over budget

ah i thought you meant the f-22 and f-35. yeah i expect it'll be a little while before anyone thinks about shooting sandy bridge into space

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Otto Skorzeny posted:

good luck not doing any dynamic allocation in java!

here's some java that does very little dynamic allocation:

Java code:
package no.dynamic;
public class Allocation {
  public static void main(String[] args) {
    int a = Complex.create(1, 0);
    int b = Complex.create(0, 1);
    int c = Complex.add(a, b);
    System.out.print("Result is ");
    System.out.print(Complex.getReal(c));
    System.out.print(",");
    System.out.println(Complex.getImag(c));
  }

static class Complex {
    static int create(int real, int imag) {
      int thiz = allocate(2);
      setReal(thiz, real);
      setImag(thiz, imag);
      return thiz;
    }

private static void setReal(int thiz, int real) { set(thiz, 0, real); }
    private static void setImag(int thiz, int imag) { set(thiz, 1, imag); }
    static int getReal(int thiz) { return get(thiz, 0); }
    static int getImag(int thiz) { return get(thiz, 1); }

static int add(int thiz, int that) {
      return create(getReal(thiz) + getReal(that), getImag(thiz) + getImag(that));
    }
  }

public static int get(int thiz, int index) { return ints[objects[thiz] + index]; }
  public static void set(int thiz, int index, int value) { ints[objects[thiz] + index] = value; }

public static int allocate(int amount) {
    objects[objectsOffset] = intsOffset;
    intsOffset += amount;
    return objectsOffset++;
  }

private static int[] objects = new int[1000];
  private static int[] ints = new int[10000];
  private static int objectsOffset;
  private static int intsOffset;
}

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
fwiw, yeah the coding standards are mostly about having total coverage from static analysis. reminds me of what a PhD told me in passing "turing complete is overrated".

there are some other notes about how they do failure handling in software and hardware elsewhere.

and how much code is auto generated from specifications of state machines apparently depends on the flight director.

as much as I think the jpl standards are neat for lifting C into a mission critical language, I think in the future, languages like 'rust' could be a better tool for these sorts of systems.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Win8 Hetro Experie posted:

here's some java that does very little dynamic allocation:

Java code:
package no.dynamic;
public class Allocation {
  public static void main(String[] args) {
    int a = Complex.create(1, 0);
    int b = Complex.create(0, 1);
    int c = Complex.add(a, b);
    System.out.print("Result is ");
    System.out.print(Complex.getReal(c));
    System.out.print(",");
    System.out.println(Complex.getImag(c));
  }

static class Complex {
    static int create(int real, int imag) {
      int thiz = allocate(2);
      setReal(thiz, real);
      setImag(thiz, imag);
      return thiz;
    }

private static void setReal(int thiz, int real) { set(thiz, 0, real); }
    private static void setImag(int thiz, int imag) { set(thiz, 1, imag); }
    static int getReal(int thiz) { return get(thiz, 0); }
    static int getImag(int thiz) { return get(thiz, 1); }

static int add(int thiz, int that) {
      return create(getReal(thiz) + getReal(that), getImag(thiz) + getImag(that));
    }
  }

public static int get(int thiz, int index) { return ints[objects[thiz] + index]; }
  public static void set(int thiz, int index, int value) { ints[objects[thiz] + index] = value; }

public static int allocate(int amount) {
    objects[objectsOffset] = intsOffset;
    intsOffset += amount;
    return objectsOffset++;
  }

private static int[] objects = new int[1000];
  private static int[] ints = new int[10000];
  private static int objectsOffset;
  private static int intsOffset;
}

get real

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

tef posted:

fwiw, yeah the coding standards are mostly about having total coverage from static analysis. reminds me of what a PhD told me in passing "turing complete is overrated".

there are some other notes about how they do failure handling in software and hardware elsewhere.

and how much code is auto generated from specifications of state machines apparently depends on the flight director.

as much as I think the jpl standards are neat for lifting C into a mission critical language, I think in the future, languages like 'rust' could be a better tool for these sorts of systems.

do you think it's realistic for any language that's not C to be adopted by aerospace types? maybe once the olds die off

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Panic! At The cisco posted:

can i get a rad hardened billy bass?

rad hardened tofu bass

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

tef posted:

i doubt anyone is going to bother porting rust to whatever janky isa satellite cpus use and going through the hell of getting their compiler certified to generate Space Binaries

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

vapid cutlery posted:

rad-hardened parts are going to be the next crazy in high end gaming rigs

lol you think gamers can afford that

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lol you think gamers can afford that

it will just be some fake bullshit like my military grade motherboard

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

vapid cutlery posted:

do you think it's realistic for any language that's not C to be adopted by aerospace types? maybe once the olds die off

:( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_(programming_language)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

vapid cutlery posted:

it will just be some fake bullshit like my military grade motherboard

that't not "rad-hardened" and you can see how well ECC rams have taken off with gamers