Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Witzapu-

Whatzepi-

Hootsopu-

Gesundheit.

You said it!

Next step, George Ledoux reading PTN's discussion of mechs designed in the thread, over a slideshow of T.G. Xarbala's art. Just in case anyone's still unclear about the meaning of the word "magnificent."

Awesome isn't just a mech...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeorgeLedoux
Aug 1, 2012

Yet again, any person foolish to face the Merc Man goes down in flames. He's the real deal, and he's just as good in the arena as he is in the field. He's even got his own fan club I hear.
You are all very welcome. PTN's the real creator behind this and did the heavy lifting so I'd do it cheap.

Well, except for finding the pronunciation for the Huitzilopochtli Assault Tank... that was a bitch to say correctly.

This is Duncan "has-been" Fisher... signing off!

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Yeah, they decided using Aztec names was a great idea for most of the clan tanks.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

GeorgeLedoux posted:

You are all very welcome. PTN's the real creator behind this and did the heavy lifting so I'd do it cheap.

Well, except for finding the pronunciation for the Huitzilopochtli Assault Tank... that was a bitch to say correctly.

Goony deeds, done dirt cheap

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Axe-man posted:

Yeah, they decided using Aztec names was a great idea for most of the clan tanks.

It's to punish vehicle drivers, since the Clans hate contractions. Imagine having to say all those names, in full, all the time.

This is just more evidence that Clanners absolutely loathe tankers.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

MJ12 posted:

It's to punish vehicle drivers, since the Clans hate contractions. Imagine having to say all those names, in full, all the time.

That and they rightly assumed that the number of players who bothered to use them would be minimal.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

GeorgeLedoux posted:

How many takes did you have to do to get through the Jenner part without laughing?

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

GeorgeLedoux posted:

You're a cool man, man.

I especially liked the part about the Mars being half as fast as a bunker.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

That was really great fun to listen to :)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

MJ12 posted:

The entry from 3060 says the Clans ACTUALLY use a shorthand name for this one, the "Huey."

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
George Ledoux just became my favorite voice actor of all time by being cool enough to record that, The fact that this thread just keeps reaching new heights of Awesomeocity is a wondrous thing to behold.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

This is the best thread.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I love this thread.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
This thread is half as good as a bunker.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, it's a rather handy system to prevent Battletechs 2% gently caress you rolls from ending the campaign in the first turn of fire. I've not really played AToW more than the odd pre-made game, so it really didn't come up much there. Usually we're just running a roster of pilots in mechs for Battletech.

I don't really like the newest version of the rules. I think the 2D10 with exploding dice was perfectly fine, now it's just 2d6 for almost everything.

That and it does a pretty fair job of doing future (modern) combat. Cover is king, if you're out in the open you will get murdered.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Oh my god, that Jenner description. How did he do it without laughing.

This thread. :allears:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Aww, the Jenner IIC. I love that mech.

I've been running a monthly Battletech free-for-all game with a bunch of friends, many of them new to the game. Since I mostly wanted to teach players for the first while, I took underweight mechs compared to everyone. Last time I took a Jenner IIC.

My plan was to run around and be annoying, and be a nearly harmless demonstration of various things. First turn of the game I try to cross a small stream. I roll 2 on my roll to enter water; I fall. I take a TAC on my centre torso, followed by three crits - gyro, engine, engine.

It was probably the most accurate representation of Battletech I could have hoped for.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Aww, the Jenner IIC. I love that mech.

I've been running a monthly Battletech free-for-all game with a bunch of friends, many of them new to the game. Since I mostly wanted to teach players for the first while, I took underweight mechs compared to everyone. Last time I took a Jenner IIC.

My plan was to run around and be annoying, and be a nearly harmless demonstration of various things. First turn of the game I try to cross a small stream. I roll 2 on my roll to enter water; I fall. I take a TAC on my centre torso, followed by three crits - gyro, engine, engine.

It was probably the most accurate representation of Battletech I could have hoped for.

Has the Oregon Trail fording joke been done to death yet? Because that is more than relevant here.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've been exceptional at showing how to lose in my games. So far, I've deliberately kept out weapons that can one-shot an enemy's head, except for the Hunchback with his AC/20. As hilarious as it would be, it wouldn't be a lot of fun for someone to sit out from an early gauss hit or the like.

Except that in the first game, I ran an IS Jenner, and didn't double check its head armour. I had mistakenly thought every mech had max. Took a PPC hit during my second round of combat, my only source of damage, and that was it for me.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

GeorgeLedoux posted:

That was a treat to hear, and you're clearly a class act for doing it.

Also, I just found out you were Minute Man in Freedom Force, which is fantastic, because watching that dude yell about FREEDOM while throwing cars at supervillains was always a joy.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

The entry from 3060 says the Clans ACTUALLY use a shorthand name for this one, the "Huey."

And the Clans hate contractions so badly. Imagine how much the name must have pissed them off if they actually use one.

Also, remember, they're ridiculously slow and fragile!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Affi posted:

I stood still because it afforded me better to hits on the Warhammer and mechs had worse to hits on me in comparison. It worked out pretty well! (nobody actually shot at me)

Going to quote this to get things back on track. So what exactly is the criticism of my standing still? Hitting on 4s rather then 6s. If i'd moved I would've only moved into a better range bracket of the guass rifles I was expecting to come my way while making it harder for me to hit the whammy..

Yes I too want to get my Meds and SRMs into play.

I'm considering either advancing towards the warhammer or straight north into the ditch.(That would afford me cover right?) Either firing on the Warhammer or one of the heavy tanks. (Warhammer potentially has a lot more dudes firing at him ensuring his death, while I could potentially cripple a heavy tank)

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

MJ12 posted:

And the Clans hate contractions so badly.
That's why their 'comlang' is nothing but contractions. BT-writers! :argh:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The main concern is that you're the slowest unit in the group and by not moving you give those nasty fortifications just that much more time to get exactly where they want to be. It's also a minor miracle that they Athena and Mars didn't decide to take the easy shots you presented them.

E: I keep forgetting PTN loses init and posts the end of one turn and the beginning of the next. So it would have just been the Athena lobbing gauss slugs on great numbers.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Aug 9, 2012

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tarquinn posted:

That's why their 'comlang' is nothing but contractions. BT-writers! :argh:

That's just another reflection of their retarded culture, though. Makes perfect sense.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Affi posted:

Going to quote this to get things back on track. So what exactly is the criticism of my standing still? Hitting on 4s rather then 6s. If i'd moved I would've only moved into a better range bracket of the guass rifles I was expecting to come my way while making it harder for me to hit the whammy..

Yes I too want to get my Meds and SRMs into play.

I'm considering either advancing towards the warhammer or straight north into the ditch.(That would afford me cover right?) Either firing on the Warhammer or one of the heavy tanks. (Warhammer potentially has a lot more dudes firing at him ensuring his death, while I could potentially cripple a heavy tank)

My criticisms are that you failed to plan ahead and failed to support your teammate. Don't just think about the current turn, think about the next turn as well, and possibly the turn after. moving forward last turn would have let them shoot you easier, but you can absorb that kind of fire, and in return you would be able to get great shots on the whammy or athena this turn, and be able to support the battlemaster as well.

Arraxis
Jul 10, 2012
I see lots and lots of replies and assume that there's an update - come on and see that George Ledoux has recorded an awesome summary of the enemies. That was truly awesome, and I would love to see more if possible. I want to hear the man talk more about the robots.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Arraxis posted:

I see lots and lots of replies and assume that there's an update - come on and see that George Ledoux has recorded an awesome summary of the enemies. That was truly awesome, and I would love to see more if possible. I want to hear the man talk more about the robots.

http://nogutsnogalaxy.net/

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

MJ12 posted:

Also, remember, they're ridiculously slow and fragile!

And absolutely completely brokenly overpowered when it's not dice aiming but people. Hueys are crazy good in Living Legends.

Brandy Collins
Sep 17, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

My criticisms are that you failed to plan ahead and failed to support your teammate. Don't just think about the current turn, think about the next turn as well, and possibly the turn after. moving forward last turn would have let them shoot you easier, but you can absorb that kind of fire, and in return you would be able to get great shots on the whammy or athena this turn, and be able to support the battlemaster as well.

We're still having this discussion? People have explained why they did what they did and there is logic backing it. Others have explained why they disagree and there is logic backing that opinion as well.

How about we talk about suggestions for future turns rather than belaboring the previous turn? That would probably be more productive.

And ask the Flashman about being able to absorb a shot from a 15 damage weapon. :smugbert:

Brandy Collins fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 9, 2012

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Brandy Collins posted:

We're still having this discussion? People have explained why they did what they did and there is logic backing it. Others have explained why they disagree and there is logic backing that opinion as well.

How about we talk about suggestions for future turns rather than belaboring the previous turn? That would probably be more productive.

And ask the Flashman about being able to absorb a shot from a 15 damage weapon. :smugbert:

headcaps happen. And Affi asked what were the criticisms so I laid them out, we are think done with any criticisms and can move on to the next turn.

(Stalker should cross the ditch. and turn if it has any movement left so it can run 5 next turn and get some hot srm on tank action.)

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Can't cross the ditch, I can end up in the ditch though. (Does that provide me with cover?)

Brandy Collins
Sep 17, 2009

Affi posted:

Can't cross the ditch, I can end up in the ditch though. (Does that provide me with cover?)

Looks like you can only end up in the ditch going to hex 0523. You won't get cover there.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Brandy Collins posted:

OK. Here's some thoughts to spur discussion (probably about how dumb these thoughts are):
Make some reasonable guesses about where those two big tanks are going to go and try to get some mechs into a position to take shots at their sides. Easier said than done in the current situation, of course. The Phoenix Hawk might be able to manage but only with lots of luck, and it's in bad shape already.

I think it's reached the point where the players natural inclination not to get their mechs shot up so badly that they're out for the next mission is hurting their ability to win quickly. If the clanners are going to focus fire, they can probably take out two mechs or more before the fight is done. But if they do, you can afford to give them good shots on all of your mechs in exchange for killing them faster.

Offer enough high-priority targets and the lower-priority targets will be safe.

I'd also consider offering the Thresher some back shots in order to get back shots on the Incubi. That forces the Thresher to choose between vulnerable rear armor on heavy mechs or shots at the Raven and Po 1. In effect, you can protect your lighter mechs by making your heavier mechs better targets. (OTOH, I have a feeling the Thresher is acting as a distraction to keep you from getting into position to deal with the Mars and Athena...)

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Narsham posted:

OK. Here's some thoughts to spur discussion (probably about how dumb these thoughts are):
Make some reasonable guesses about where those two big tanks are going to go and try to get some mechs into a position to take shots at their sides. Easier said than done in the current situation, of course. The Phoenix Hawk might be able to manage but only with lots of luck, and it's in bad shape already.

I think it's reached the point where the players natural inclination not to get their mechs shot up so badly that they're out for the next mission is hurting their ability to win quickly. If the clanners are going to focus fire, they can probably take out two mechs or more before the fight is done. But if they do, you can afford to give them good shots on all of your mechs in exchange for killing them faster.

Offer enough high-priority targets and the lower-priority targets will be safe.

I'd also consider offering the Thresher some back shots in order to get back shots on the Incubi. That forces the Thresher to choose between vulnerable rear armor on heavy mechs or shots at the Raven and Po 1. In effect, you can protect your lighter mechs by making your heavier mechs better targets. (OTOH, I have a feeling the Thresher is acting as a distraction to keep you from getting into position to deal with the Mars and Athena...)

Don't ever offer your back to an enemy. It's asking for bad things to happen. And it is drat sure asking Battletech to be peak Battletech. Fight hard, fight fast, coordinate fire, and know your mech's limits.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, the Thresher has a Clan UAC/10. Those things are fantastic at getting crits anyway, so offering it a backshot especially within its medium range (12 hexes) is suicide. One hit to a rear location will very likely kill any of our Lance 3 mechs.

I do not think it's worth losing a Po, Raven, or (especially) Phoenix Hawk, just to maybe take out one Incubus.

Moreover, the Incubus II (H4) has less frontal armor than it has rear armor now, so getting into its rear arc is not at all a priority. It's missing its main armament, too. The best shot at taking it out currently is any hit on the front center torso, which is at 0 armor remaining. RT is at 4 and LT is at 5, so hits there are good too, especially since it has an XL engine.

It is a tricky situation. We need to keep that Thresher off our backs, but the third lance is not well equipped at taking it on. Which is why it was very smart for the thresher to come down the right side of the map like that, and why I've been encouraging L3 to move northwest throughout the battle: I want it to close with the entire Goon company and get within range of our heavies so we can direct heavy long-range fire at it while the third lance picks on things we can more safely close with (and also keep our move mods up). We've broken with that with the Phoenix Hawk because he has jump capability and was able to get backshots on the thresher last round (which worked, but not well enough), and now he can do it again (but is overheating and therefore probably shouldn't alpha).

But the PHX is now isolated and is very much at risk, so if he tries for those backshots again, the thresher can easily turn and put him down with that drat UAC. He'd be inside close range so even with the move mods, the thresher's got two shots at decent to-hits and either one will likely kill the PHX. Hell, a CT hit with anything will likely kill him. Sux.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Assault Lance is very close to beating Heavy Lance for the promptness prize this time!

VVV It means more people need to send in orders.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 10, 2012

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Assault Lance is very close to beating Heavy Lance for the promptness prize this time!

I hope thats a good sign.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'm moving to 0924 and firing LLs and LRMs at T2 Athena Combat Vehicle.

I can change my orders if someone recommends me new ones. I could for example use my close range arsenal on targets nearer. But as far as I can see T2 and T1 are the only ones that aren't in cover from the trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I don't really have that many options, but I'll send my orders in a few hours when I'm not at work.

• Locked thread