Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Some swimming pools don't allow you to wear short and you have to wear speedos, I think it's mostly a french thing, but why does that exist as a rule?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Crankit posted:

Some swimming pools don't allow you to wear short and you have to wear speedos, I think it's mostly a french thing, but why does that exist as a rule?

Shorts are sometimes very dirty because people wear them for all kinds of activities - sports, sitting on the ground, stuff like that. Sweat and grime from prolonged wearing are also an issue.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Is anyone else getting that "Woman is 53 but looks 27" ad on nearly every page? Not that matters much, I'm just curious I guess. It's got to be the most persistent banner ad I've seen around here.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

stubblyhead posted:

Try this. Pretty lovely of Microsoft to not have it on their site anymore though.
It works! Thank you

Rakins
Apr 6, 2009

Does anyone know of a goon or place that fixes ipod touches on the cheap? Can usually handle that stuff myself but this is a little out of my scope

Captain Payne
Sep 27, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I know that bananas release pheromones or whatever that make other nearby fruits ripen faster. But do the banana chemicals also make other bananas ripen faster? If I isolate bananas from each other, will they ripen slower than if they were in a bunch?

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

I think you might be thinking of the ethylene gas apples give off that cause bananas to ripen faster.

Edit: Looks like bananas give it off too, and yes, the effects are cumulative between bananas and isolating them will cause them to ripen slower. A ripenening fruit gives off ethylene which causes it to ripen faster and give off more ethylene. Any fruit around this one will also be effected by the ethylene and will produce more and more themselves in a positive feedback loop.

MrGreenShirt fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 20, 2012

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Captain Payne posted:

I know that bananas release pheromones or whatever that make other nearby fruits ripen faster. But do the banana chemicals also make other bananas ripen faster? If I isolate bananas from each other, will they ripen slower than if they were in a bunch?

That they should! :eng101:
http://lifehacker.com/5891257/separate-bananas-to-slow-down-their-ripening

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I want to buy a shitload of those streamline nerf darts, where's the cheapest place to buy them? Amazon has a 100 pack for $20 but because of it's weird nerd following there could easily be some third party darts

ZanderZ
Apr 7, 2011

by T. Mascis
What's the deal with the Washington Post Social Reader app on Facebook? Is it meant to be lovely in effort to drive comments/likes, or is it actually just that bad? I feel like they're targeting the braindead dregs of the internet and if they are, props to them. If not, god help society. I'm just curious as to whether they're a trollsource or remotely legitimate.

Are people just reading lovely stories and I'm seeing all trash on my newsfeed? Or is everything on that app basically trash?

ZanderZ fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 20, 2012

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Do wearable articulate plastic arms exist or will I have to build a pair? I want to do up some tech-y looking fake arms for my trans-humanist halloween costume, but if there's nothing I can use for a base then I might have to build them from scratch.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

CowGuy posted:

Does anyone know of a goon or place that fixes ipod touches on the cheap? Can usually handle that stuff myself but this is a little out of my scope
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3465338
This guy in SA-Mart buys them, not sure if he fixes them. Could have sworn there was a guy who had an avatar ad saying he fixed broken ip?ds somewhere.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Scaramouche posted:

Could have sworn there was a guy who had an avatar ad saying he fixed broken ip?ds somewhere.
That's yamdankee. The thread his avatar links to is closed, though.

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!
So I'm usually pretty aware of current slang/pop culture references, but I've been seeing people on Facebook say "lowkey" lately and it's bugging me that this is apparently a thing. I'm guessing it means sorta/kinda. There's an Urban Dictionary entry from 2010 that confirms this, and it even says it's from SoCal, but I'm from San Diego and have never heard this until today. Has this been around for awhile? I was out of the country last month, did some celeb start saying it lately? It's just so dumb and unnecessary, maybe that's what's getting to me.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
"Low-key" has been around for a long time, and it generally means something is understated or subdued. It apparently springs from a specific high-contrast lighting effect in cinematography, which was popular in horror and film noir.

Unless you are referring specifically to lowkey as a single word? I don't know who the gently caress started that.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Is anyone familiar with what a background check when starting a new job actually entails? I know they check your criminal record and what not. But what else do they check? Are they able to get information on what business licenses you've received if you started your own business?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Charleston Jew posted:

So I'm usually pretty aware of current slang/pop culture references, but I've been seeing people on Facebook say "lowkey" lately and it's bugging me that this is apparently a thing. I'm guessing it means sorta/kinda. There's an Urban Dictionary entry from 2010 that confirms this, and it even says it's from SoCal, but I'm from San Diego and have never heard this until today. Has this been around for awhile? I was out of the country last month, did some celeb start saying it lately? It's just so dumb and unnecessary, maybe that's what's getting to me.

As noted above, this is usually written low key or low-key, and that phrase has been around forever, and is used in a huge variety of contexts (that is written for the non-native speakers mostly).

example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-key_lighting

Also a low key gathering= casual gathering etc etc.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
I apologize if this is something there is a thread on, I looked in the Business/careers forum and couldn't find it. Anyways.....

I'm working abroad and have a good, well paying job with good hours. However, I would love to continue studying and pick up my Masters. I've been trying to find information regarding online masters programs and have been able to find about 5 million websites that mention schools such as Heald or ITT Tech. Is there a thread here where I can get some information/first hand experience on the whole process of online masters programs and have people to talk about schools with? If not, does anyone here know of any places such information would be easily obtainable? I realize that online degrees from for-profit schools are going to be the name of the game, but I'd like to have a little more information before just blindly jumping in and wasting my time and money.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Busy Bee posted:

Is anyone familiar with what a background check when starting a new job actually entails? I know they check your criminal record and what not. But what else do they check? Are they able to get information on what business licenses you've received if you started your own business?

Credit check, criminal record checks, public record checks.

Anything in the public record (which includes just about everything financial) is potentialluy a part of it. If you have to be bonded, it will be a fairly exhaustive check, either by the company or the bonding agency.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Busy Bee posted:

Anything that is public record is possible: adult criminal record (depending on state and severity of crime and if the records are sealed or not,) credit rating, bankruptcies or lack thereof, military service and possibly security clearance, etc. I'm sure they could check for business licenses or registrations as well if they wanted, but I don't think many would unless it's relevant to the job (I.e. you said you're a licensed X or used to own business Y.) What kind of job is it?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

kapalama posted:

As noted above, this is usually written low key or low-key, and that phrase has been around forever, and is used in a huge variety of contexts (that is written for the non-native speakers mostly).

example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-key_lighting

Also a low key gathering= casual gathering etc etc.

This isn't what he's talking about though.

http://twitter.com/#!/search/?q=lowkey&src=typd

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

USMC_Karl posted:

I apologize if this is something there is a thread on, I looked in the Business/careers forum and couldn't find it. Anyways.....
In the Science, Academics and Languages subforum of A/T you can find the Online learning megathread, and The Grad School Admissions Megathread.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Xandu posted:

Based on context it means ... well I thought it was emphasis, like "really", but then I looked at Urbandictionary and there's an entry there for "kinda". "This summer lowkey sucked" -> "This summer kinda sucked."

How this eldritch horror came to pass, I do not know.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

USMC_Karl posted:

I'm working abroad and have a good, well paying job with good hours. However, I would love to continue studying and pick up my Masters. I've been trying to find information regarding online masters programs and have been able to find about 5 million websites that mention schools such as Heald or ITT Tech. Is there a thread here where I can get some information/first hand experience on the whole process of online masters programs and have people to talk about schools with? If not, does anyone here know of any places such information would be easily obtainable? I realize that online degrees from for-profit schools are going to be the name of the game, but I'd like to have a little more information before just blindly jumping in and wasting my time and money.

There are actually online masters degree programs from not-for-profit schools too, not just diploma mills. There's a grad school megathread in the academics subforum, someone there can probably give you more specific advice on how to find the right program for you.

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!

Xandu posted:

Yeah, I guess I should have mentioned that this isn't the typical definition that most everyone knows. It's one word.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Captain Payne posted:

Answering the last question first, yes.

Both tomatoes and bananas release a gas that makes them ripen, and also can be stimulated to be ripened by flooding them with that gas. Which is why you are not supposed to store tomatoes and bananas in the fridge (trapped gas) or in plastic. Which reason is also why they are also wrapped in plastic at the store (to make them ripen for sale).

Bananas are picked when they are green and packed in evacuated containers for shipping, and then ripened at produce warehouses in big rooms especially designed to ripen them (and tomatoes). When the green bananas are gassed drunk tarantulas come staggering out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripening

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
This lowkey business, could it be some kind of iPhone auto-correct mistake?
I looked at some of those tweets and something about themmade me think it's a word being misspelt and then the spell checker loving it up.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I'm pretty sure 'lowkey' in this context is supposed to mean 'secretly.' Look at the Twitter feed:

-i lowkey wana go back to school
-I like this guy LOWKEY but he got a GF. Im tryna chill but the chemistry a1 lol ima POST!!! Im no HOME WRECKER
-I feel like guys lowkey hate when their girlfriends screenshot & post their simp texts on social networks lol
-Ppl Love Lies. They Lowkey Hate the Truth!
-My mommy bought me a apron & cooking utensils she lowkey like my cooking.

Replace it with 'secretly' and those all make sense. There are also a bunch of tweets using it as 'really' but I'm not convinced that those people aren't just really dumb.

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!

TheGame posted:

I'm pretty sure 'lowkey' in this context is supposed to mean 'secretly.' Look at the Twitter feed:

-i lowkey wana go back to school
-I like this guy LOWKEY but he got a GF. Im tryna chill but the chemistry a1 lol ima POST!!! Im no HOME WRECKER
-I feel like guys lowkey hate when their girlfriends screenshot & post their simp texts on social networks lol
-Ppl Love Lies. They Lowkey Hate the Truth!
-My mommy bought me a apron & cooking utensils she lowkey like my cooking.

Replace it with 'secretly' and those all make sense. There are also a bunch of tweets using it as 'really' but I'm not convinced that those people aren't just really dumb.

I think you're right, that makes it seem a little less awful now. But still, ugh. And I'm not even a person that normally gets uppity about the kids and their newfangled way of speaking.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Just imagine that they're talking about Loki instead. Implying a sense of secrecy and malice.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Gravity Pike posted:

Just imagine that they're talking about Loki instead. Implying a sense of secrecy and malice.

In American Gods Loki masquerades as a convict by the name of Low-Key Lyesmith.

Odin goes by Mr. Wednesday.

And I seriously hope that this is an auto-correct problem because it might be the first time I'm having a :corsair: moment for language changes.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Are there any sorts of household objects that are made for relaxation? I've been looking at some of those little tabletop indoor fountains, and I'm wondering if there's other stuff that gives off pretty colors or chill sounds.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why does a bottle of Ibuprofen smell like farts?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Rollofthedice posted:

Are there any sorts of household objects that are made for relaxation? I've been looking at some of those little tabletop indoor fountains, and I'm wondering if there's other stuff that gives off pretty colors or chill sounds.

I've always been a big fan of Japanese wind chimes.

There are also various kinds of vaporizers with different aromas/oils that you could look into, if that's your thing.

Maybe a vibrator?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Well I don't want sexual relaxation

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Why are microwave ovens measured by volume? If I'm looking to get a new microwave, I want to know whether it will fit on my bench and how big of a thing I can fit inside it, and knowing that it's 3 litres doesn't tell me either of those things. So why not give the dimensions instead of the volume?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tiggum posted:

Why are microwave ovens measured by volume? If I'm looking to get a new microwave, I want to know whether it will fit on my bench and how big of a thing I can fit inside it, and knowing that it's 3 litres doesn't tell me either of those things. So why not give the dimensions instead of the volume?

What? Knowing that it's 3 liters inside tells you exactly how much you can fit inside it.

Also, in America at least, microwaves will be marked in the store or online both with the volume of the cooking compartment and the overall size of the microwave as a whole, for example:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Install Gentoo posted:

What? Knowing that it's 3 liters inside tells you exactly how much you can fit inside it.

Well, it would tell me how much liquid I could fit inside it. Most things I put in a microwave though have a particular height and width.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tiggum posted:

Well, it would tell me how much liquid I could fit inside it. Most things I put in a microwave though have a particular height and width.

If you have a chunk of meat to cook, and it's 50 cm by 40 cm by 10 cm that's 20 liters, and should fit in say a 30 liter microwave.

Seriously, did you forget basic measures so easily? Height times width times depth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
How is this an argument?