Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Binary Logic posted:

Don't worry, most of the blood in that movie is obvious CGI. (Is this considered a spoiler?)

In 1989?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The MSJ posted:

Christopher Nolan will cast him in something, surely?
Is there a joke I'm not getting here? Because he was already in Batman Begins...

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Young Freud posted:

I think it has to do with Hauer being kinda old by the time he made it to Hollywood. He was 37 when he made Blade Runner.

Christoph Waltz was over 50 when Inglourious Basterds happened, and now he is working with pretty big-named directors. Bad comparison, I know, but I don't think age is the deciding factor here. Blade Runner wasn't that successful when it opened, unfortunately, and as such Rutger probably didn't get that much exposure right off the bat. He is totally awesome regardless, and I still envy his career.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Akuma posted:

Is there a joke I'm not getting here? Because he was already in Batman Begins...

Huh, he was! Been a while since I watched that movie.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
And it was like Nolan couldn't wait to get rid of him either :mad:

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Dillbag posted:

I was just about to post this. If you like Kitano films you will like Drive, and vice versa.

I know it's trying to convey motion, but the sword looks really weird in this poster. Then again, that's probably an accurate portrayal of the swordplay in that film. I liked that movie though. Now I'm gonna watch it again tonight.

Are Kitano's other movies similar? I've never gotten around to watching them.

Also, in response to people talking about Hausu, everyone please watch Hausu. You will not regret it. It's a Japanese horror film from an era when I don't think they knew how to make horror films yet, and that makes it disturbing in an entirely new way.

The cat's looking up, disturbed, at a miniature version of another poster for the same movie.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Hbomberguy posted:

It's a Japanese horror film from an era when I don't think they knew how to make horror films yet,

Watch Jigoku, Kwaidan, Onibaba, and Yotsuya Kaidan to see how wrong you are.

Hausu isn't accidental genius like The Room or whatever, that ridiculous insane tone is very intentional and very carefully crafted.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Please stop calling it Hausu.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 6, 2014

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Mister Chief posted:

Why? That's legitimately the name of the movie. It also serves to keep that movie and the 80s horrorfilm House apart.

It's not like calling Battle Royale 'Batoru Rowaiaru' or anything.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 11, 2012

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Mister Chief posted:

And while people are at it, stop with that Gojira poo poo! It's Godzilla!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Isn't that like a Japanese attempt just to say the English word house? Because if so you should just call it house.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

penismightier posted:

Please call them 'The Sinners of Hell', 'Ghost Stories', 'Devil Woman' and 'Yotsuya Ghost Story'.

e: 'Demon Hag' is such a great title, goddamn

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Why? That's legitimately the name of the movie. It also serves to keep that movie and the 80s horrorfilm House apart.

I call it Hausu because when I once said 'we should watch House, a Japanese horror film' to a friend, we ended up almost watching the totally-unrelated 80s one by accident. Also, I want to emulate the AMAZING way the guy in the trailer pronounces it.

penismightier posted:

Hausu isn't accidental genius like The Room or whatever, that ridiculous insane tone is very intentional and very carefully crafted.

I'll have to see those. Just to be clear, I don't think Hausu is anything like The Room, it IS finely-crafted genius, it just completely defied my expectations for how horror films tend to be set up, which was creepy in a new way for me.

So yeah, everyone watch Hausu. I can also recommend Batoru Rowaiaru, Gojira, Ringu and Washomon.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

kiimo posted:

Isn't that like a Japanese attempt just to say the English word house? Because if so you should just call it house.

Isn't the same basically true but in reverse for Gojira/Godzilla?

e:

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Please call them 'The Sinners of Hell', 'Ghost Stories', 'Devil Woman' and 'Yotsuya Ghost Story'.

e: 'Demon Hag' is such a great title, goddamn

I like the Akira Kurosawa classics To Live (1952), Clickety-clack (1970), Shadow Warrior (1980), Rebellion (1985).

Hbomberguy posted:

it just completely defied my expectations for how horror films tend to be set up, which was creepy in a new way for me.

I agree totally, but it's not because the Japanese didn't know how to make horror films, it's because Obayashi is a loving next level director.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

penismightier posted:

I like the Akira Kurosawa classics To Live (1952), Clickety-clack (1970), Shadow Warrior (1980), Rebellion (1985).

I had to look up which movie Clickety-clack referred to and I stumbled upon this still:

How have I not seen this movie? :psyduck:

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Uh, yeah it is. It's a Japanese film with English words for the title that they pronounce using Japanese syllables.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Noxville posted:

Uh, yeah it is. It's a Japanese film with English words for the title that they pronounce using Japanese syllables.

I realize that, but there's no other movie to confuse it with and Hausu isn't even close to being as annoying as someone going 'Batoru Rowaiaru' every time the movie is brought up.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Here is the original poster/DVD cover for European Vacation.

The Blu Ray looks like Chevy Chase is either a Giant or missing an arm!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Isn't the same basically true but in reverse for Gojira/Godzilla?

e:

Yeah but not really. It would be like Japanese people referring to the film as "Godzilla" and other Japanese people rightly getting annoyed at that.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I realize that, but there's no other movie to confuse it with and Hausu isn't even close to being as annoying as someone going 'Batoru Rowaiaru' every time the movie is brought up.

Agreed. I get just as annoyed as anyone when somebody calls an English-titled Japanese thing by it's romanized name instead of just calling it what it is in English (the most frustrating examples I can think of were the Hellsing "IT'S ARUCARD" sticklers, and the people who insisted the homonculi from Fullmetal Alchemist were named Rusto, Enbi, Grido, and Rasu), but Hausu is perfectly acceptable as it avoids people butting in to your conversations thinking you're talking about a Doctor drama on Fox.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

kiimo posted:

Yeah but not really. It would be like Japanese people referring to the film as "Godzilla" and other Japanese people rightly getting annoyed at that.

Fair enough.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Slasherfan posted:

Whoever is behind this should be the first against the wall. Just gently caress them.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Is the same reasoning people used when calling the original Japanese version of The Ring "Ringu"? I know that always bothered me.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Nate RFB posted:

Is the same reasoning people used when calling the original Japanese version of The Ring "Ringu"? I know that always bothered me.

See, I guess I'm just the weird one. I always called the Japanese version 'Ringu' and the American version 'The Ring' because a) it differentiates b) that's what the movie was called on my dvd cover and c) when in conversation about the two movies or the series in general it is much easier to discuss, instead of saying 'in the original version' or 'in the Japanese version'.

But then again, there was zero stigma or fear of 'japanophile' behaviour where I came from, so calling the movie as it said on the DVD cover wasn't a problem v :) v

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Dissapointed Owl posted:

See, I guess I'm just the weird one. I always called the Japanese version 'Ringu' and the American version 'The Ring' because a) it differentiates b) that's what the movie was called on my dvd cover and c) when in conversation about the two movies or the series in general it is much easier to discuss, instead of saying 'in the original version' or 'in the Japanese version'.

But then again, there was zero stigma or fear of 'japanophile' behaviour where I came from, so calling the movie as it said on the DVD cover wasn't a problem v :) v

Well my DVDs call the Japanese one "Ring" and the American one "The Ring" so :colbert:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Forktoss posted:

Well my DVDs call the Japanese one "Ring" and the American one "The Ring" so :colbert:

Well, I guess it's all subjective :colbert:

Seriously, you say 'Hausu' and everyone knows exactly what movie you're talking about.

Why am I even arguing? I don't think anyone involved even has strong feelings about this one way or the other.

On that note, I've always loved the poster for The Ring.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
House/Hausu is a weird case, since the movie was officially titled in English so it would seem creepily foreign to Japanese audiences.

Calling it 'Hausu' in an English context is kinda true to that basic spirit, but misses the broader point that the film is very much about Japan and is presented from that POV. 'Hausu' shifts it so that the Japanese people are the foreigners, not us.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Slasherfan posted:

I love that you can just tell they blew up Chevy Chase's part of the family picture, and in the original he's just right alongside the rest of the family at the same size. So lazy as to be almost admirable.

EDIT: VVVV You may be right, and they just pasted a bigger Chevy over the smaller, differently-dressed Chevy. Still lazy.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 11, 2012

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Hewlett posted:

I love that you can just tell they blew up Chevy Chase's part of the family picture, and in the original he's just right alongside the rest of the family at the same size. So lazy as to be almost admirable.

Is Chevys picture even from that same scene? I seem to recall they where all dressed the same for that part.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
I'm probably alone on this, but I really dig the poster art for Toys.

Then again I think the whole movie looks gorgeous so I might be biased.

Kikka fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 11, 2012

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Kikka posted:

I'm probably alone on this, but I really dig the poster art for Toys.

Then again I think the whole movie looks gorgeous so I might be biased.

I agree. Love 'Toys'.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

I have an irrational hatred for the actress in it. Otherwise it's a kickin' rad piece of cinema with a unique aesthetic.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011
I never actually saw the movie, but with that blue, cloudy sky behind Williams and the hat, (not to mention the 'image into infinity' thing) it's clearly a reference to the art of Rene Magritte and he's my favorite surrealist, so I've always liked the poster too.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Slasherfan posted:

Motherfuck... not only is that absolutely atrocious, it breaks up the continuity with the first film's poster art, which was equally excellent:

Also is there where we all admit to liking the movie "Toys", because I liked the movie "Toys".

VV The irony there is that I so closely associate Chevy Chase with that role that when I see Chevy Chase anywhere else... I'm not thinking Chevy Chase. I'm thinking Clark Griswold.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 12, 2012

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's funny how things change. You'd never say "Every year Chevy Chase takes his family on a little trip. This year he went too far."

If you want to highlight the actor there are a bunch of ways but you don't confuse actor/character. At least you shouldn't.

That painting has always been one of my favorites though, even since I was little.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

What is the origin of that pose?
I see it all over the place and I'm sure it references some famous painting but the reference has always been lost.

Or did Vacation start it?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Sockser posted:

What is the origin of that pose?
I see it all over the place and I'm sure it references some famous painting but the reference has always been lost.

Or did Vacation start it?

I always linked it to the Star Wars poster but, looking now, the stance is fairly different.

EDIT: You can see similar ideas expressed if you image search "Conan the Barbarian."

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I always thought this riff on that idea was really funny.