Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Buy this 80's UJM:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3119867&pagenumber=34#post407378172

I bought it as a rat, gradually turned it pretty. It's not mint but it catches plenty of attention.

It was my first bike. I passed the DMV test on it for my license a few weeks after I picked it up. It handles just fine for a bigger bike.

The 5 + overdrive gearing for easy expressway cruising and the bit of pep it has at wide open throttle from the stop light kept me from getting bored with it for 6 years.

It was down before I owned it - hasn't been since I've owned it. Runs just fine and I've already fixed all the damage from whatever fall or falls before I became it's Nth owner.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well I only had a half-hour ride on it and it really didn't feel like it would make it up to those sort of speeds (and you're right, it really does need a screen - the noise and buffeting at 70 was worse than on my Shiver at 100+ - or so I'm told, not being the sort of irresponsible person to ever do those sort of highly illegal speeds).

It's a pity because it just looks so loving good.

(Believe it or not the actual thing that pushed me to the Shiver, other than my inherent loyalty to the brand, was one tiny detail - those bar-end mirrors would last ten seconds in London traffic, although the 0% finance Aprilia were offering at the time helped)

Weird, I put rearsets and lower bars on my Bonneville and I've had it up to 90. :feelsgood:

I don't think 100 would be a problem. It's got the off road silencers and an air injection removal kit, plus I changed out the front springs and rear shocks.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Industrial posted:

I think you did something wrong here

Sagebrush posted:

Or something right, as the case may be

Wrong or right, it was a hell of a lot of fun

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

So I'm trying to get rid of an old computer (PDP-11, collector's stuff). It's not especially valuable, so I was asking $200 for it and mentioned I'd trade for an old bike. I got a response from someone with a 1979 Triumph T140E in his garage. He describes it as "a rolling frame with an engine in it", so god knows what it's missing--I asked for pictures. I've had a little experience working on bikes, because my first bike was an 82 Suzuki GS650 which needed some work to get working properly, but I haven't cracked into an engine or carbs yet.

I already have a bike, a 2010 Bonneville, so this would be a project. He also said some guy left it in his garage 10 years ago, no idea about the title. The title is my main concern. Can any Californians (or others) give me a little insight as to what this process might be like? I'm sure this guy didn't steal the bike or anything, so what's the situation if someone abandons a motorcycle in your garage?

I'll post pictures if/when I get them.
Dunno if you got any info on this, but I had to track down a title. It's all about your google-fu and what you know about the original owner. I started with a name and a city, and ended up with a name, son's name, wife's name, city, business operated by, what they did, receptionist's name, how long they had been in business, phone number and address.

So when I called, the guy was like "YOU HAVE MY MOTORCYCLE AND NO TITLE??? COME ON DOWN PAL", so I went. And he was a super badass old dude that has 2 landspeed records for supercharged Ford Model-As :psyboom:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

"as a Ducati owner,"

"I am on first-name terms with every taxi and bus driver in a 20-mile radius"

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

"as a Ducati owner,"

"I am on first-name terms with every taxi and bus driver in a 20-mile radius"

"I rarely actually ride my motorcycle because (choose one):

(1) the Starbucks is more than 5km away and it might get dirty;
(2) I've been waiting on insert part here to arrive from Italy for the past 8 weeks;
(3) the dealership has had it since February and won't give me a straight answer on when it will be ready;
(4) catastrophic mechanical and / or electrical failures occur every ride or three."

But really, as a Ducati owner, I'm broke. Welcome to the happy (but broke) club. Have you ordered any carbon fibre bits for it yet?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

sofullofhate posted:

"I rarely actually ride my motorcycle because (choose one):

(1) the Starbucks is more than 5km away and it might get dirty;
(2) I've been waiting on insert part here to arrive from Italy for the past 8 weeks;
(3) the dealership has had it since February and won't give me a straight answer on when it will be ready;
(4) catastrophic mechanical and / or electrical failures occur every ride or three."

But really, as a Ducati owner, I'm broke. Welcome to the happy (but broke) club. Have you ordered any carbon fibre bits for it yet?

1) the nearest starbucks is 1km away
2 and 3) don't know where my nearest ducati dealer is... yet...
4) first order of business, fix the dodgy grip heater wiring repair
5) public transit is closer than starbucks

It came with a carbon hugger and belly pan. I guess that just leaves carbon hand guards ;)

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Wrong or right, it was a hell of a lot of fun

Dating a beard does that to you.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Updated with detail photos and youtube vid of me drag racing some kids on Schwinns: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3119867&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=34#post407415313

Any Q/A please post here, PM me, or comment on a youtube video. I'd rather not hog the whole sale thread. I will edit any Q/A into the posts there and update them when sold. It's a good bike and needs a good home, please don't subject me to Craigslist scum bags that will waste entire afternoons failing to nickel and dime me. If the posts are still up and not marked with a big SOLD then the bike is still for sale.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Mr. Onslaught posted:

I just today found out that other countries continued making the Ninja 900GPZR for many years after the US market had discontinued it. What are the odds of me ever finding an A16 Ninja 900 (2003 Final Edition) for sale in America? I'm guessing zero percent...

You could maybe grey import it via a japanese aucton site. Should be homologated already so not necessarily a fatal epa problem as with non homologated models. Depends how much you really have to have tom cruise's bike.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Saga posted:

You could maybe grey import it via a japanese aucton site. Should be homologated already so not necessarily a fatal epa problem as with non homologated models. Depends how much you really have to have tom cruise's bike.

right into the danger zone

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

There is an big rear end auction in NH involving cars and motorcycles.

Some of the motorcycles look in a decent enough condition.

:stare:
Too bad I am not going to be here...

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Friends don't let friends ride Duacti parallel twins.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Nerobro posted:

Friends don't let friends ride Duacti parallel twins.

I don't care about the Ducatis, but how can I say no to this???

If only I had a garage...
:negative:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That VF500F looks all there!

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.

Saga posted:

I had an '84, my first bike I ever bought with my own money...kinda miss it now and was intrigued to see that they made it until 2003. I like how that Final Edition looks.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Since I have been asked to do so, I'm putting down what I'm looking for and where I am as far as a bike.

I'm looking for a 250cc-300cc standard-style motorcycle that isn't going to take much to maintain and would work well for commuting within the city and to nearby (within 40-50 miles) of the city I am in. Also for riding around for the hell of it because there is nothing like just riding around exploring.

Where I am specifically is San Marcos, Texas. I'm not a fan of sports bikes in the slightest, and am kind of hooked on the sleek naked bike look a lot of the standards have, not to mention they just feel right to me when I have been on one.

The main problem right now is finances. I'm potentially starting a new job soon(key word on potentially) and have zero cash at the time of posting, which makes getting used iffy because anything I want to go for might be gone in a couple of weeks when I'd have the money.

That was actually one of the reasons I was looking at new. Monthly payments and all that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Well, San Antonio is a pretty big city and close by so there has got to be several small UJM to choose from there that should meet most of your wants.

I will strongly recommend you don't buy new, especially if payments are involved. Assuming you will get credit before you start your job, you will drop it. You will likely outgrow it and want to turf it all before you are done with your payments. You will probably need to keep full insurance on it too (including collision) by the lien holder, and rightfully so.

Save up and use cash up front. Keep your eyes open, but don't seriously shop until you have the cash. If you need to take the bus/bum rides for a few weeks, so be it.

Buying a brand new bike while a new rider and severely cash strapped is not a smart move.

Edit: Also remember cash for gear and MSF if you haven't already. It's a suckers game if you're already broke before you start.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 14, 2012

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
I wasn't going to buy until I had enough to cover that kind of situation, the initial questions were more towards getting a feel for what I should look for in regards to a starter bike once I get the finances for it.

Getting my bases covered for when the time comes and all that so I already know what I want and should be going for etc. figured this was the best place to do it. I've been hearing more and more that I should buy used for my first bike that I personally own.

Edit: First thing I'm doing is taking the MSF safety course. Gear I'm mostly set for. Used to ride alongside my dad when I was a bit younger but I never owned anything as far as the actual bikes went.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcd/3264893486.html

Save up a couple of K and buy something like this.

Or this if you want to work on the speedo gears.
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/3262894261.html

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Aw man I didn't realize the financial problem to go with it. It sort of kills the challenge if you can't buy anything new or used in the next 14 days...

250cc is too small for a cruiser for anything other than getting started. My wife has a Honda Shadow VLX 600 and while it's a fine bike it absolutely blows over 60 mph. In Texas you can't get anywhere without expressway miles. You don't want a 250 cruiser when you plan to do a significant amount of expressway miles. You will hate yourself for it. When I move up to 70-80 to pass on the above 600 I have to go wide open throttle and then sort of wait around for the bike to gradually get up to speed. I can't imagine what a 4 speed 250 would be like, and I don't ever want to find out.

Here's some solid starter cruisers in your area right now. When you have the cash ones just like them will still be there, and they may be even cheaper though I doubt nearly as much in San Antonio since it's pretty well year round.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/3263921867.html 2005 Aero 750 which is a perfect starting cruiser ($4000 and don't take his lovely used helmets)

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/3269816652.html 1996 Vulcan 500 ($1600)

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/3268800197.html 2004 Vulcan 750 ($2600)

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/3268463681.html 2003 Ace 750 ($2750)

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/3267983936.html 1982 rough as poo poo Nighthawk 450 with mechanic lean against it???? for $1000

That's just poo poo posted today.

slidebite posted:

Or this if you want to work on the speedo gears.
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/3262894261.html

slidebite looked in Austin instead and found a way better 82 nighthawk. :( You could ebay the gauges for cheap I'm sure.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 14, 2012

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm with Halo on this one. I rode a 2007 Shadow VLX 600 for a year to learn on and it was fine (sold it last October), but the lack of a 5th gear really killed it for highway traveling. I would definitely recommend at least a Shadow 750 if you want a Shadow and want to travel any sort of distance. I've heard good things about VStars but haven't personally ridden one smaller than a 1300. Haven't ridden a Vulcan by my neighbor has one and seems to really like it when I've spoken to him about motorcycles.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Speaking of Shadows, I've been doing my hardest to educate myself on all the different bikes out there but the only one I've managed to sit on is a Honda Shadow. Turns out, there's a 2003 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 not too far from me.

This is quite literally my first time doing this sort of thing. Though I had a really beat up project I played with ('72 honda scrambler - I didn't put much money in it, just took apart what I could and looked around), I eventually sold it to my uncle as a parts bike. I still have to take the course and get the license as well as proper gear, but I shot him an email asking for what details I could think of (if he had the title, what kind of maintenance has been done recently, if it's been dropped or damaged, a lot of the things I've read about over the last couple months in this forum). I made it clear I'm more window shopping than looking to buy immediately.

I've heard Honda Shadows are an OK choice for starting, but I fear I'm pushing it a bit with a 750. I'm hoping I can get away with it being a cruiser, since I won't be doing accidental wheelies if I panic on the throttle or something. It's smarter to take the course before actually getting a bike, but if this guy response is a good one (nothing wrong with the bike, has title, etc), would it be a good deal at the price he's asking? 2003, as much as I don't like to think about it, is 9 years ago and it sounds like there's some miles on the thing.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
It's a 40hp bike and weighs about 500 lbs. You're not pushing anything as a starter bike goes - except maybe the bike itself if it hasn't run in forever. Actual displacement means very little. $3k for mid 2000's bike with <20k miles is about par. You could find cheaper, but you're not getting ripped off. Always bicker on the price with CL most people expect it and list higher than they actually want for the bike.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I currently ride a '82 Xj750J Maxim and plan to get a different bike next year, plan is to sell if for around 1k and use that to get another bike hopefully 2-3k.

I would like to get a dual/sport bike, my main complain about this bike is it a bit on the heavy side so turning and such can feel a little sluggish to me.

Bikes I'm considering are the SV650 and other bikes in the 600cc range.

Any suggestions on other bikes to look at?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
You wanted a dual-sport type thing? DRZ400, KLR650.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

KLRs are out of my price range in my area :( I do want one in the future though. This would be 80% used for commuting too. Are both street legal or would I end up doing some work to make it so?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Ashex posted:

KLRs are out of my price range in my area :( I do want one in the future though. This would be 80% used for commuting too. Are both street legal or would I end up doing some work to make it so?

I'm selling my KLR650 for $2500 or so. Of course, I don't know what your price range is, but you can usually find some nice examples from the early '00s for under $3K.

(Almost) all KLR650s are street legal, to my knowledge. I know DRZ400s came in street legal and dirt only varieties. If you're shopping used, just look for bikes that are already plated.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

I'm selling my KLR650 for $2500 or so. Of course, I don't know what your price range is, but you can usually find some nice examples from the early '00s for under $3K.

(Almost) all KLR650s are street legal, to my knowledge. I know DRZ400s came in street legal and dirt only varieties. If you're shopping used, just look for bikes that are already plated.

My range is 2-3k, Around Seattle/PNW KLRs tend to start at 3.5k. I found one guy selling a '02 DRZ400S for $2.5k so that's a promising lead, the only problem is I'm planning to buy a bike at the beginning of next year!

For sport bikes, I've found a couple in my range:

'06 Hyosung gt650r
'02 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

There are a couple more but they're track bikes so I would have to get new tires then wire up lights and such.

Edit: Other criteria I have are: Easy to work on, reliable, parts easily available/cheap.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 17, 2012

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
If you're looking at Katanas, also look at Bandits - they're similar but naked or half-faired. You can find 750 Katanas for about the same price as 600s, as well.

Might also consider tube frame Buells like M3 Cyclone or the X1 Lightning. Can definitely find good options for those around 3k. They are really good at turning. Mechanical bits are all pretty standard Harley stuff so parts are easy (even aftermarket - you can put a Baker 6-speed and other upgrades for a Sporty on one). Power-wise on par with a 600cc four.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 17, 2012

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Buying a used Kawasaki 125 Eliminator for my wife and I to practice basic motorcycle riding skills, and eventually riding through lightly trafficked residential areas: good idea or bad? We just took an MSF course and are complete newbies otherwise who want to get a lot more practice in. (My wife rode one for the MSF course, so she knows she's comfortable with it. I rode some sort of Suzuki dual-purpose bike, which I hated.)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Good idea: getting a bike to ride.

Bad idea: getting a bike for two people to ride.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

clutchpuck posted:

Good idea: getting a bike to ride.

Bad idea: getting a bike for two people to ride.

This one speaks the truth

Two cannot drive the same bike simultaneously. Prepare for much tension and frustration in that household.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Wulframn posted:

This one speaks the truth

Two cannot drive the same bike simultaneously. Prepare for much tension and frustration in that household.

I'm all for getting two bikes, but I think that will be a hard sell with my wife. Well, unless we get the one and she feels this keen frustration of which you two speak... then maybe this will become a two bike household. (Well, I mean, it will anyway at some point, but we didn't think two starter bikes would be a good idea.)

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Is she really that interested in riding? Then get her her own bike. Otherwise just get something for you. Also at least get a 250, the power difference isn't that extreme except for the fact the 250 can do something approaching 70mph if it needs to.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ashex posted:

For sport bikes, I've found a couple in my range:
'06 Hyosung gt650r
'02 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

Neither of those are sportsbikes fwiw, just tarted up standards.
Hyosungs arent up to the same standards as Japanese bikes yet, the gt650 is just a copy of the sv650, the katana is a big heavy oil/air cooled bandit with fairings.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Is she really that interested in riding? Then get her her own bike.

Yes, she is, to the point that she hopes to eventually commute to work in San Francisco once she's comfortable with highway driving. But we always envisioned getting a more powerful bike by that stage.

Also at least get a 250, the power difference isn't that extreme except for the fact the 250 can do something approaching 70mph if it needs to.

We're still thinking about a Honda CBR or Kawasaki Ninja, but we just don't know yet if we're going to enjoy a sportbike, standard, or cruiser more, or even whether either of us will wind up using the bike as primary transportation as opposed to riding as a hobby.

Incidentally, does anyone start out with 125cc bikes these days or are 250 bikes the norm?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
All depends on the bike. I think 50-125 is fine for suburban pootling but anything more and a 250 is a much more practical bike. A 250 four stroke twin like the Ninja and CBR is perfectly fine for the novice, and will stay practical when you need to go faster for longer, say on highways.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

get her her own bike

Can she not do this on her own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

epalm posted:

Can she not do this on her own?

...the duality of sexism on something awful.