Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeventhSeven
Jun 28, 2009
Reminds me of the (IMHO) dated and cheesy analog clock found on Lexuses... What are the
Dashboard designers thinking -- or smoking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

CornHolio posted:

I didn't mind the center-mounted speedo in our '03, but it was easy to read at a glance. Between the glare, tiny font and tiny amount of visible needle, that doesn't seem to be the case with the newer ones. What the hell, Mini?
I have this and it's plenty readable, but nobody actually uses the center speedo. The current cars have a larger digital speedo than the old model.

The new model MINI will be out within a year anyway, and that doesn't have the center mount speedo. There's still a huge circle in the middle, it's just housing the radio/nav. You can sort of see it here: http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/2013-mini-cooper-s-spy-shots_100394924_l.jpg

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Residency Evil posted:

I dunno, they definitely "decontented" the current MK6, previous MK5s, etc. I can definitely see things like LED tails getting omitted again.

I meant like "cheaper interior" and "cheaper suspension" stuff not the usual "we don't get exactly the same features"

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I actually forget that I have the huge-rear end center one sometimes since I have a digital speed readout on the tac. The only major gripe I have about my Mini's interior is that I can't easily put the windows up or down if I have a large drink in the cupholders.

Very true. It's truly a German car. Every German car I've ever been in has had useless cup holders.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Then where the hell do they put their big gulps when they're applying makeup and texting on the autobahn? I'll never understand those crazy Germans.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Aurune posted:

Very true. It's truly a German car. Every German car I've ever been in has had useless cup holders.

I thought this was just my car. Jesus Christ. I honestly would rather have had them just block off the cupholder tray than put that trash in.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

My 1-series has two cupholders. They are both way too small, and the second one is blocked off by the armrest so you can't actually fit anything in them.

I heard a good story about one of Ze Germans - their American product planning team had been clamoring for cupholders for years. Finally, the Germans caved and put a cupholder in. They were very proud and excited and sent over lots of pictures of the one (1) cupholder with a can of soda in it. Product planning asks them "what about bottles and Big Gulps and things like that?" which is received with completely blank stares. So the product planning team just started fedexing containers that they found back to Germany with the note "This has to fit in your cupholder."

It evidently didn't work that well, Germans still can't do cupholders.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I took the cupholders OUT of my BMW E46 330 and replaced it with a eurotray because I pretty much only drink out of bottles with caps on them that can easily be tossed into a backpack....and yeah, they sucked anyway and if you have a MT, anything taller than a half can will get in your way. There are also insulated travel bottles with screwtops on them as well that you can put coffee in.

If you feel an overwhelming need to drink 128 oz. big gulps in your "car" go buy a lifted F250 with custom tribal paint to match your collection of Affliction shirts already.

:colbert:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 4, 2012

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Aurune posted:

It's got two in the front that block the window controls (and sit in a way that you smash your knuckles into the lids if you're shifting into 1st or 5th). There's a third bigger one for your big gulps and crap at the back of the center console, but it it's really shallow with no grips so it's really easy to knock a drink out of it. The front ones are nicely sized for a bottle of water though, which is what I suspect they were designed for.

I've stopped going through drive-thrus as often, because American drive-thru windows are designed for huge-rear end SUVs and trucks, and I've actually been forgotten at drive-thrus before because only a few inches of the roof of my car can be seen from the drive-thru window :saddowns:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mk4 Golf/GTI cupholders were awesome because they popped out and blocked the radio.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Bovril Delight posted:

Mk4 Golf/GTI cupholders were awesome because they popped out and blocked the radio.

Must not have been all years. My '03 did not.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My mk6 Golfs cupholders don't hold my 52oz iced teas from Quik Trip all that well but they're passable. My focus didn't deal with them very well either.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bovril Delight posted:

Old Subarus blocked the climate control, at least on the Impreza.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Keyser S0ze posted:

I took the cupholders OUT of my BMW E46 330 and replaced it with a eurotray because I pretty much only drink out of bottles with caps on them that can easily be tossed into a backpack....and yeah, they sucked anyway and if you have a MT, anything taller than a half can will get in your way. There are also insulated travel bottles with screwtops on them as well that you can put coffee in.

If you feel an overwhelming need to drink 128 oz. big gulps in your "car" go buy a lifted F250 with custom tribal paint to match your collection of Affliction shirts already.

Huh, I wonder if I could get that for the 1.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

fknlo posted:

My mk6 Golfs cupholders don't hold my 52oz iced teas from Quik Trip all that well but they're passable. My focus didn't deal with them very well either.

I can't tell if you're serious or not. :negative:

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

BMW E39 cupholders are the best:

Blocks the climate control and makes it difficult to shift into odd numbered gears. They also broke all the time.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

I can't tell if you're serious or not. :negative:

Somewhat. I love iced tea and 52oz of it means less trips to the gas station!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

SouthLAnd posted:

This reviewer in this video that showed up in my youtube homepage swears the ST is better than the current GTI. Plus it sounds good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL2Oe_KyqUk&t=406s
(time-advanced to fun part)

Why are there so many terrific cars available today? Back in the 80's and 90's, it was so easy to choose the best car for your money. Now every company seems to make terrific stuff for almost every segment.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

angryhampster posted:

Must not have been all years. My '03 did not.

They revised them and put them in the centre console in 2003. We actually bought an 03 console and put it in our 01 TDI.

Also b5 Audi A4s have the best worst cup holders. If I was on my computer I'd link a picture. Ther are about an inch wide that hold a small cup or can on two sides.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Sir Tonk posted:

Why are there so many terrific cars available today? Back in the 80's and 90's, it was so easy to choose the best car for your money. Now every company seems to make terrific stuff for almost every segment.

I was at the dealership on Saturday and they had a loaded '13 Focus there for $24k. It seriously has one of the best looking interiors I've ever seen. The differences between it and the previous Focus are astounding.

discstickers posted:

BMW E39 cupholders are the best:

Blocks the climate control and makes it difficult to shift into odd numbered gears. They also broke all the time.

I've never had a problem shifting into odd-numbered gears in mine, but yeah, they're useful for a 12oz can only and then they block the entire HVAC control. I enjoy a can of mountian dew in the morning, and my passengers usually like to have drinks (especially on longer trips) and it's kind of annoying to tell them they have to hold their drink the entire time.

My E36 had the shallow ones in the middle, same as a E46 posted above, and it was far superior. It couldn't break and it could hold bottles, though they would impede shifting quite a bit.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 1, 2012

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Anything taller than a soda can in my front cup holder prevents me from shifting into 2nd or 4th. In a Mustang. WHAT THE gently caress AMERICA?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Anything taller than a soda can in my front cup holder prevents me from shifting into 2nd or 4th. In a Mustang. WHAT THE gently caress AMERICA?
What year? The ones in my 2012 make it awkward to shift and take up valuable armrest room if I have anything taller than one of those half-height coke cans.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
someone start a blog dedicated to reviewing cup holders in cars. This is information you just cant get from mainstream sources.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
I just had to go do a Google Image Search for both of our vehicles to see what the cup holders look like, and I regularly use the one in the Jeep in the mornings for my tea. I can't imagine anyone who cares so much about cup holders but I'm sure they're out there.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I've always found the German disdain for cupholders to be strange. Do they really expect people to pull over any time they want to take a drink of water?

Race cars have Camelbak style hydration systems with drink tubes, so I don't see the problem with having somewhere to stick your water bottle where it won't roll into a footwell and then under a brake pedal or something.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Cocoa Crispies posted:

What year? The ones in my 2012 make it awkward to shift and take up valuable armrest room if I have anything taller than one of those half-height coke cans.

2000. Right after I got it I went and got some dinner and popped the lid off a milkshake when I grabbed 2nd. Thankfully I wasn't being a retard and didn't spill it everywhere. From then on, the front holder has been relegated to a key/change holder.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

someone start a blog dedicated to reviewing cup holders in cars. This is information you just cant get from mainstream sources.

My Optima has a ludicrous amount of cupholders. There are the two main ones which are so huge they're almost useless because a normal can will just roll around inside them if you start making sharp turns, two in the back center armrest, then all 4 doors have a perfect 12oz can holder molded into the lower part. And of course the glove box has the air conditioning vent to keep more drinks cooled. Why do they think people drink this much?

Jezrael
May 1, 2005
the bagel is an adequate vessel of nutrition
Because they are right

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I actually really like the cupholders in my Sonic.

Just the right amount of hold to keep my coffee thermos still but still have room for some 7-11 monstrosity.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Cupholders. :smug:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Looks about as flimsy as a NASA o-ring.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

davebo posted:

My Optima has a ludicrous amount of cupholders. There are the two main ones which are so huge they're almost useless because a normal can will just roll around inside them if you start making sharp turns, two in the back center armrest, then all 4 doors have a perfect 12oz can holder molded into the lower part. And of course the glove box has the air conditioning vent to keep more drinks cooled. Why do they think people drink this much?

The more giant ones probably are meant to double as miscellaneous junk and change holders with an option to hold an enormous 96 oz soda tub. Just like if your door already has to be super thick and you have big door pockets, might as well add a detent for cups and water bottles, because why not?

Also, it's surprising how many people (especially with kids or something) base their buying on stuff like number of cupholders.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
^- How did we both decide to use the 96oz'er as a reference? :monocle:

Thwomp posted:

Looks about as flimsy as a NASA o-ring.

Both last produced in 1986, right? :haw:

They got flack for not having any in the US market, so they decided to do the usual and completely go overboard on design. They work great, but I don't think I'd try to jam a 96ozer into one.

I don't usually need 6 POUNDS of soda at once.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
The 2013 Ford Escape has about 16 cupholders and you can change the lighting of some with MyFordTouch.

Personally, I'm holding out for when automakers install one of those bar soda guns and the car can order fast food for you (~MY2015.)

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

MATLAB 1988 posted:

The 2013 Ford Escape has about 16 cupholders and you can change the lighting of some with MyFordTouch.

Personally, I'm holding out for when automakers install one of those bar soda guns and the car can order fast food for you (~MY2015.)

It's not so far fetched as you may think.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Not only this, but some of the new infotainment systems can install apps and poo poo, I'm pretty sure in less than 3 years you could install a Pizza Hut App into your My Ford Touch system and just tell it to "order my regular pizza for delivery" on the way home.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

http://i.imgur.com/F3hrH.jpg

Option on a Rolls-Royce in 1959.

Yummers
Mar 5, 2011

if you like my car STEP OFF BITCH I HAVE NO TIME FOR YOU

also ask me about shapnel wounds

Keyser S0ze posted:

So true. If you love your car and you worked hard to own it, then cup holders aren't for "cups". Water bottles only in my IS F. Over the weekend, on my way to a tailgater, some douche magouche who I barely know, and who obviously doesn't appreciate nice things, was riding in my back seat and desperately wanted to crack a beer open in my cabin. He even asked a third time after I told him "gently caress! no!" twice (strike 1). And at the tailgater he sat on my bumper (strike 2). Then he pops the lid of a beer bottle with a lighter and splashes beer on my bumper (strike 3). Needless to say he didn't get a ride back home. That classless fool can take the bus next time.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

CornHolio posted:

I've never had a problem shifting into odd-numbered gears in mine, but yeah, they're useful for a 12oz can only and then they block the entire HVAC control.

Have you considered the possibility that this is a feature? When it's hot out and you're blasting AC, it keeps your drink cold.

When it's cold out and you're running the heater, it keeps your drink warm!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Steve French posted:

Have you considered the possibility that this is a feature? When it's hot out and you're blasting AC, it keeps your drink cold.

When it's cold out and you're running the heater, it keeps your drink warm!

The vents aren't in front of the beverages, only the controls. Otherwise... well, it'd still be pretty stupid, but at least I have other vents. I only have those controls!