Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
NWN2 OC is good... after Act 1. Act 1 is murder to get through, if you can make it past you're gold.

And yeah, Mask of the Betrayer is my favourite RPG in the last ten years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Downside of Mask of the Betrayer is that it's still high level D&D and that's only really interesting for a couple of classes. MotB addresses this by giving you some pretty unique characters with some various abilities and such.

All in all, it's a pretty good game but the actual gameplay is probably the second weakest part. The weakest probably is obviously your PC's face that you'll end up staring at forever if you play OC+MoTB - gadzooks those models!

Cirofren posted:

It picks up directly after the underwhelming NWN2 campaign.
It's mostly just Act 1. To expand: act 1 is basically this massive crawl because it's low level D&D, and they're trying to establish some pretty basic story stuff. But mostly the game is trying to level you with some Adventurer 101 poo poo. Once you punch through that, they throw some interesting segments at you and you do get a fairly novel story that's not a total "kill sarevok" railroad. There's also a few interesting gameplay things like building a town.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 20, 2012

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I bought NWN2 in a steam sale and every time I try to play it I get bogged down in character creation and never get into the game for more than the starting town before I turn it off and dont go back to it for weeks/months when I've already forgotten what little I've learned.

Making my way slowly through The Witcher 2 right now on my 360 and it is really good. I ran into one bug that was nearly game breaking but I got past it, and everything has been smooth since then. Except that time I thought a guy was lying about a demon and then later I found him eviscerated. The half of him I found :aaa:

Also I got a sweet tattoo in that game :)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Huh, I just noticed Steam pulled Neverwinter Nights 2? That kind of sucks, wish I had picked it up.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

Rascyc posted:

Huh, I just noticed Steam pulled Neverwinter Nights 2? That kind of sucks, wish I had picked it up.

I believe it got taken down from pretty much everywhere due to the Atari/Hasbro fight over who has the rights to make Dungeons and Dragons videogames. That got resolved, but NWN2 is still in limbo.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Extortionist posted:

Speaking of NWN2, is there anywhere to buy it online anymore? It vanished off Steam a while ago, the only place I've seen that still has it is gamersgate, and only as a complete set of both games and all the expansions for $30--I only really care about NWN2 and MotB.

Sadly, Gamersgate is really the only way of getting it digitally nowadays. The D&D Collection on there has gone on sale before for at least half off. It's possible it could go on sale at some point (been a while since it did), or at the very most it might get lumped in with holiday sales.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I've never actually played Mask of the Betrayer. Which is odd because I've beaten NWN2 twice...

I need to get on that.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Thanks everyone, I think I'll give the OC a go first. Is there anything I need to know in terms of character build? I.e. are there any classes/feats/etc I should definitely avoid or definitely take? Anything else I should be aware of so I don't screw myself later?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Thanks everyone, I think I'll give the OC a go first. Is there anything I need to know in terms of character build? I.e. are there any classes/feats/etc I should definitely avoid or definitely take? Anything else I should be aware of so I don't screw myself later?

Here's the goon thread on the game: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3378635&pagenumber=1
Here's a site where you can plan out your character and look at other people's ideas: http://nwn2db.com/

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Anyone know if the iOS version of FFT: WotL still has the hidden classes and characters?

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

If you like making your own magic armors and weapons though it's pretty fun. I'm not that big on most crafting systems but because of the way NWN2's one is set up, you can make stuff that's really yours. Well, yours as wide as the game's enchantment database is, at least.

But this could just be me saying "I like naming my weapons and poo poo"

You can name and enchant a weapon, but you can't change the description though. It's always, "Long swords are really common, they're usually 30-40 inches." Or, "This weapon is enchanted, but bears no mark of any specific maker."

It's adds another level when you can say something like, "This is The White Dragon's sword, he had it since he was inducted into the City Watch and has constantly been taking care of it and enchanting it. Also he loving hates orcs after a trek through two caves infested with them, so he paid a mage to make the blade give any orc-kind some extra hurting."

It adds another level, endears you to it, and you may hold on to it even after it's passed it's usefulness. When they have generic descriptions, I feel, "That's a +1 sword, I'll sell when I get something better."

In Dragon Age, I kept the family long sword and used it to get revenge on a certain individual with it although I was specced to used two handed weapons and had no skills I could use with a one handed weapon.

Kieyen fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 21, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MockingQuantum posted:

Anyone know if the iOS version of FFT: WotL still has the hidden classes and characters?
Everything the PSP version had.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Everything the PSP version had.

Are the hidden characters worth getting? Or for that matter, is Cloud still pretty much useless?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

Are the hidden characters worth getting? Or for that matter, is Cloud still pretty much useless?

He's hardly useless in the original. Blade Beam, Climhazard and Finishing Touch are all super fast and can really gently caress people over. And some of the rest of his skills get pretty good with short charge.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

MockingQuantum posted:

Balthier is pretty much amazing and worth going through the trouble of picking up, and you literally cannot miss Luso. He's basically a clone of Ramza with innate Poach. Which, that has its uses.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

He's hardly useless in the original. Blade Beam, Climhazard and Finishing Touch are all super fast and can really gently caress people over. And some of the rest of his skills get pretty good with short charge.

He also starts at level one with barely any jobs unlocked three quarters of the way through the game and needs to equip a terrible weapon to use his unique abilities.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Concidering you have to go out of your way to unlock him why not use him.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

WrightOfWay posted:

He also starts at level one with barely any jobs unlocked three quarters of the way through the game and needs to equip a terrible weapon to use his unique abilities.

The former is unfortunate but the latter doesn't matter much since he doesn't actually hit things. Shame you can't slap a rune blade in the slot for the MA boost but them's the breaks. The low level doesn't matter a whole hell of a lot when you pick up finishing touch and just straight up murder anything that isn't immune to death or petrify and stop everything else. He's not amazing but he definitely has uses. The existence of the various swordskillers makes him a much harder sell than he otherwise would be, though.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

The former is unfortunate but the latter doesn't matter much since he doesn't actually hit things. Shame you can't slap a rune blade in the slot for the MA boost but them's the breaks. The low level doesn't matter a whole hell of a lot when you pick up finishing touch and just straight up murder anything that isn't immune to death or petrify and stop everything else. He's not amazing but he definitely has uses. The existence of the various swordskillers makes him a much harder sell than he otherwise would be, though.

That's all well and good, but I'm more curious about whether they've made him more usable/accessible in WotL. I know they rebalanced a ton of stuff, including some of the story characters, and I was curious if they did anything with Cloud along those lines.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

That's all well and good, but I'm more curious about whether they've made him more usable/accessible in WotL. I know they rebalanced a ton of stuff, including some of the story characters, and I was curious if they did anything with Cloud along those lines.

Some of his skills have slightly shorter charge times, I think. Other than that he hasn't changed.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I couldn't tell if there was much of a difference with the hidden characters but Balthier is very, very good. His default skillset is Mustadio+Upgraded Thief+A move that basically deals double damage. He can equip Javelin 2 and kill anything in a hit (he's also very fast) or use a gun and kill stuff across the map.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

For the two other people that care

This was at MIPCOM 2012. I was afraid that the localization for Danball Senki (Little Battlers eXperience) was dead in the water, so this is a welcome sight for me. Good to know it still exists.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I got The Last Remnant on PC (finally) the other day since I scored a deal that made it only cost about $1.50. What are the new things added/changed, and what should I keep in mind as I go?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

SpazmasterX posted:

I got The Last Remnant on PC (finally) the other day since I scored a deal that made it only cost about $1.50. What are the new things added/changed, and what should I keep in mind as I go?

Full list, with important ones bolded:

Gyoru posted:

Battle
- Allies now have the option to cure a friendly union's curse status ailment via "Cure them even if it kills them!" command.
- Arcana require substantially more AP.
- Attributes required for formation upgrades are vastly different.
- Crimson Flare, a new arcana, is now available.
- Enemies hit considerably harder and have higher HP.
- Healing no longer raises morale.
- Morale increased by Critical Hits has been dramatically reduced.
- Linking additional enemies together does not increase your Battle Rank further than having fought them separately.
- New formations now available, such as Eremurus Rain.
- Special commands, such as the use of David's Gae Bolg, are no longer interrupted by being raidlocked by a different union or having targeted enemy union defeated by an ally.
- Turbo Mode is now available, which dramatically increases combat speed when enabled.
- Unique Arts now require AP.
- Remnant Arts can only be performed by union leader, Weapon Arts now require high union morale.
- Wards now affect the entire union.
- Rare Monsters have significantly higher HP than their XBOX 360 counterparts.

Items

- Components and consumables are now categorized.
- Creation or customization of some items require fewer components.
- Items are now color-coded based on their rarity.
- New items available via Blueprint 4.
- Weapon's model can be displayed when viewing its stats.
- Weapon's stats have changed.
- Some very rare monster specific drops can now be split from these monsters as well (Godwood Timber, Spiritwood Timber).

Leaders

- The leader limit is no longer imposed.
- The stat cap has been lifted for all characters to allow a maximum of 255 for each stat.
- Rush can now be removed from the active party.
- Khrynia learns a new Unique Art: Dual Snowpetal.
- Leaders' arts can be disabled, filtering which skills the unit may use in combat.
- Leaders' requested components are displayed when viewing their stats.
- Leaders' wield style can be changed depending on their weapon.
- Some classes will prevent wield style changes in battle now, as well as shields.
- The experience required to advance Wield Style skills has been reduced, and the experience required to advance Weapon Type skills has been increased.
- Three new classes are now available: Ataraxian, Cleric, and Ninja.
- The Guardian, Fencer, and Warrior classes now require non-sovani wield styles and are thus not available to Sovani.
- The Gladiator class now requires Power Grip and Wards.
- Hybrid classes can now be achieved by units who do not start in one.
- Some leaders now have a different weapon upgrade path, which caused some units to learn new Weapon Arts while others lost theirs.
- Some leaders request weapons that do not coincide with their weapon upgrade path.
- Some leaders have had their starting class, equipment, arts, and hiring wage changed.
- The Seven are recruitable after completing Union of the Golden Chalice Task #70: For Our Lord.

Sidequests

- At Hatred's End is no longer required in order to activate Things Unchangeable.
- Duke of Ghor now has a … when you speak with him between base battles.
- The Assistant's component requirements have lowered.
- The DLC content is now unlocked differently, with the majority requiring the completion of certain guild tasks.
- The Leader Extraordinaire guild tasks requiring three units of a single class now only require one.
- The Monsterslayer guild tasks require different enemies to be defeated.

New Game+

- New Game+ is an option available after having completed the game's storyline.
- The following are carried over to the new game: components, formations, magazines, maps, Mr. Diggs's status (including his Digs count), customization level, and items that unlock arts for Rush (effectively Rush gains the first tier of those arts). You will also begin with a certain amount of gold based on the number of quests you have completed.
- Additionally, Hard Mode is available in which monsters are considerably stronger than their counterparts in normal difficulty.
- Monsters have less HP in Hard Mode.

Miscellaneous

- Auto Save is now available, which automatically saves after having changed zones or having won a battle.
- Battle Rank viewable outside of combat in main menu.
- Characters with … are now identified with markers on the map.
- Enemies can no longer be respawned by saving and reloading in the next area.
- New saving opportunities are now available, such as before the base's boss.
- Units in reserve no longer gain skills.
- A warning message is now displayed if game progress is saved between subsequent boss fights.
- Mr Diggs's digging animations are now much quicker.
- The loading screens that explained some of the game's mechanics have been disabled.
- Many areas of the game have had their spawn tables altered or repopulated.
- Starting battle music now coincides with starting morale in most battles.
- "Turn the Tide" and "Beat the Odds" now play during the second half instead of after entering Elysion.
- Union highlighting during the selection phase has been toned down (ie: ally unions don't look quite as blue).
- Camera in battle doesn't swing around as wildly anymore.

The BR changes and the Leader limit removal basically mean that it's significantly harder to permanently screw your stats and army.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So I guess the Ys IV Vita remake came out last month? Has anyone played it yet?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
I dunno if there are any importers in this thread, but the importers I do know all loved the hell out of it. It's very, very good, easily on par with other recent Ys releases or better. And after how well Ys has done in various markets, I wouldn't be surprised if we get it brought over.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I just found this website: http://sf3trans.shiningforcecentral.com/progress/ and now I'm thinking of digging out my old discs to play it for real. Is anyone familiar with this? I'd like to give it a try but I want a more complete experience so I may wait if it's too rough.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I ordered the PC Engine (Japanese) versions of Wizardry 1/2 and 3/4 recently and while I was looking up some gameplay on youtube while waiting for them to get here, I'm surprised how much of those games is in English. There's still some screens here and there in Japanese, but stuff like the status screens, in-town menus and such are in English for the most part.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I've been playing that Inquisitor game for a while now and I find that I actually enjoy it, it has a very Divine Divinity feel to it. It's janky and shoddily made as all gently caress, but there's something engrossing about collecting witness accounts and searching for inconsistencies. It's mighty easy to shoot yourself in the foot, though. I did a quest for the astrologer guy in the hill town and now I can't buy a book from the herbalism lady that would've taught me a new path of magic.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Levantine posted:

I just found this website: http://sf3trans.shiningforcecentral.com/progress/ and now I'm thinking of digging out my old discs to play it for real. Is anyone familiar with this? I'd like to give it a try but I want a more complete experience so I may wait if it's too rough.

There are still 1 or 2 points in discs 2/3 that crash 100% so you will have to use the untranslated disc to get past that, but otherwise it is a great job.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Now, I dunno if Quovak brought this up in his LP 'cause I ain't read it, but I've been playing some Chrono Trigger lately and I never this until now, but Spekkio can run out of MP. I was fighting him, just surviving by the skin of my teeth, when suddenly, he just... stopped. He just walked in place and let me kill his poo poo.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Fenris13 posted:

There are still 1 or 2 points in discs 2/3 that crash 100% so you will have to use the untranslated disc to get past that, but otherwise it is a great job.

That shouldn't be a problem. Do you know what points they are by chance? I'm playing through their patched Disc 1 and it's been flawless on SSF so far, though I don't think they changes much there. Forgot how stressful the refugee battle was! Such a good game though. I hope Camelot has something planned for some console generation soon, either a new Shining Force or Golden Sun (console please!) or whatever. Just love their stuff.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

The Pier Solar guys just announced a kickstarter for a HD version.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
...Is it just me or do some of the HD assets look worse than the original ones?

Also, am I seeing/reading this right, they're gonna intentionally leave some assets in low-res? That's gonna clash against eachother!

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 5, 2012

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
Also keeping true to their idiotic pedigree, releasing for the Dreamcast.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
At least I can get a copy of the original genesis version for only 500 dollares

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Why is everyone so excited about that game, anyway? From all I've seen it's a pretty generic console RPG.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Why is everyone so excited about that game, anyway? From all I've seen it's a pretty generic console RPG.

because RETRO MAN :downs:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'm pretty sure someone posted about playing it in this thread and said it wasn't too great. Also there is like an hour long review on youtube that slams it for being generic and having some frustrating design issues.

That said, I'd try it out if it came to PC. At least the battle system looks interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Levantine posted:

That shouldn't be a problem. Do you know what points they are by chance? I'm playing through their patched Disc 1 and it's been flawless on SSF so far, though I don't think they changes much there. Forgot how stressful the refugee battle was! Such a good game though. I hope Camelot has something planned for some console generation soon, either a new Shining Force or Golden Sun (console please!) or whatever. Just love their stuff.

One of the crashes was at the end of the refugee battle, but theory on that is that there are two slightly different versions of the game and that crash only happens on one of them. The other one I remember for sure is the very last battle in the first chapter of disc 3, killing the boss leads to the game freezing.