Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Fluue posted:

Would I be crazy to consider purchasing a Razr HD right now? The DNA was a bit of a let down for me with the battery life, so I can't foresee any other phones I would want. The 8X is a possibility, but I'm not sure I want to hack solutions together for Google syncing on WP8.

I cannot believe the battery life I'm getting out of the HD MAXX. On weekdays I'll have it off the charger for 15-16 hours and it'll have 65-70% battery life left. I had hotspot mode on for 2 hours and it didn't even flinch.

So if it's crazy to buy that then I don't want to be sane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Hell my RAZR M has been off the charger for 11hrs and has 47 percent battery left, and that is with an hour of calls, lots of podcast streaming, and 2 hrs of screen on time. Love it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm certain now that Motorola is employing black magic with the HD MAXX. When I left work today it was a little over 9 hours off charge and the battery was sitting pretty at 96%. Yeah, I really wasn't using it during the day, but that kind of idle drain on LTE is beyond insane. I had my galaxy nexus on over the weekend to update apps and I forgot to turn it off. With no SIM (and no LTE connection), idling on wifi, the thing was at 1% battery after little over a day with zero use. My Razr was off charge for longer and was sitting at 85% while being used.

It doesn't hurt either that the build quality is top notch, it's drat fast, has great signal, and has a great screen (shames the HELL out of my Galaxy Nexus in that department.)

I'm honestly afraid to get JB at this point as I don't want anything to mess up the perfect experience I've been having with the phone so far.

The DNA is another one-of monstrosity that HTC has shitted out for Verizon that's sure to leave buyers wondering "Why the hell did I go with this?" in about 6 months. The phone just doesn't make sense. Small battery for the specs and size of the device, non-removable at that, no micro-SD card slot while pairing it with only 16gb of internal storage. The screen may be the most amazing thing ever, but all I see is yet ANOTHER unique HTC device that adds to the ever growing pile of phones that need individual attention when it comes to updates.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978
I'm thinking (hoping) that the Snapdragon S4 is a pretty power efficient device as is integrating the LTE circuitry into the CPU. Additionally, using SLCD3 is supposed to have some pretty beefy power savings.

The lack of SD slot I'm willing to bet a LOT of money was carrier dictated. Make no mistake, Verizon WANTS people to have to use cloud storage so that they'll burn up their data using it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The quad core S4 does NOT integrate the baseband on the SoC like the dual core. It is an add on baseband.

Now, it is a current generation baseband on a smaller process, so it should be pretty efficient. It just won't be quite as efficient as the dual core.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
My only real gripe about the razr maxx is the less than stellar camera. However, that's not at all why I opted for this beast on the second go around. I charge it every 1.5 - 2 days. The form factor, in my opinion is rather boring, but that's irrelevant to performance. The HD MAXX is appealing in that it has a larger screen. I'm simply unable to see past anything after having the note 2 in my hand.

I'm also not the average male. I'm knocking on 6'7" and have bear paws for hands. The note 2 just feels...perfect. The HD maxx feels good too, but its just not the same. Nor the GS3.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Man, did I get a dud Razr Maxx HD? I brought it home yesterday and it was at around 40% brand new, ran it down and then charged it over night. Today is my first full day of use.

Screen on time is 5.5 hours, connected to wifi all day in a crowded office.

I was expecting to not have to charge today.

negativeneil fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 14, 2012

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

cuedotnet posted:

So the note 2 is coming out at the end of the month and I honestly can't wait to get my grubby paws all over it.

The note 2 has a 3100 mAh battery.

If the Verizon version is anything like the international (unlocked) one, you will love it. I have it with two batteries and I can abuse the gently caress out of it all day long and I MIGHT need the second battery.

It's pretty incredible. I don't have LTE so unless it chugs juice like no other, you will be way good to go with two batteries (hell maybe even one - I have only needed my spare once).

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Fluue posted:

Would I be crazy to consider purchasing a Razr HD right now? The DNA was a bit of a let down for me with the battery life, so I can't foresee any other phones I would want. The 8X is a possibility, but I'm not sure I want to hack solutions together for Google syncing on WP8.

What type of Google syncing are you planning?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

negativeneil posted:

Man, did I get a dud Razr Maxx HD? I brought it home yesterday and it was at around 40% brand new, ran it down and then charged it over night. Today is my first full day of use.

Screen on time is 5.5 hours, connected to wifi all day in a crowded office.

I was expecting to not have to charge today.

Your screen WAS on for 5 and a half hours dude....seems pretty drat good to me.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

hotsauce posted:

If the Verizon version is anything like the international (unlocked) one, you will love it. I have it with two batteries and I can abuse the gently caress out of it all day long and I MIGHT need the second battery.

It's pretty incredible. I don't have LTE so unless it chugs juice like no other, you will be way good to go with two batteries (hell maybe even one - I have only needed my spare once).

I'm really hoping it's consistent with the international one. It's supposed to be out on the 27th, on a Tuesday, so I figure give it until the weekend for people to try it out and see if anything major is wrong with the VZW one before picking it up.

I've stopped by a T-Mobile store twice now when cruising through malls just to play with it. It doesn't feel like a massive slab when I use it now. But then my hand from the base of my palm to fingertip is 8 inches. It fits pretty well.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'm going to be torn on whether or not to try the Note 2. Even with my small hands it still felt fine to hold (especially compared to the original), and using the S-Pen is just as convenient as your thumbs but doesn't smudge the drat screen!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah. 5 1/2 hours screen on time is something that most phones simply cannot do. With 20% battery remaining, the phone is probably good for another 60-90 minutes screen on time which is consistent with the 7hrs 15 min I've gotten before.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Does Verizon Nationwide Friends and Family still have an option to add a line for $9.99 and a 2GB data package for $30? I'm trying to add myself to a F&F plan and I don't see anyway to do it, and it seems pretty drat expensive to do it the way they push on the website.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Hughmoris posted:

Does Verizon Nationwide Friends and Family still have an option to add a line for $9.99 and a 2GB data package for $30? I'm trying to add myself to a F&F plan and I don't see anyway to do it, and it seems pretty drat expensive to do it the way they push on the website.
Yes I did it when I got my iPhone 5.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Decent amount of voice calling too it appears.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Any word on any Windows Phone 8 deals? I want a Windows Phone SO BAD, but Walmart offering the S3 for $30 after rebate for Black Friday is pretty much unbeatable...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Buy what you want, not what the subsidized price will be.

You're paying nearly $700 for the phone over the life of the contract, spending an extra $50-$100 is a drop in the bucket compared to that so it's far better to get what makes you happy.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
Didn't Amazon have all their phones for a penny last Black Friday? I'm hoping for something like that this year, although when I checked the other day I didn't see any of the new Windows phones.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

bull3964 posted:

Buy what you want, not what the subsidized price will be.

You're paying nearly $700 for the phone over the life of the contract, spending an extra $50-$100 is a drop in the bucket compared to that so it's far better to get what makes you happy.

Yeah, but that's the thing. I KNOW what I'm going to get with the S3. I have no idea what I am going to get with a Windows Phone (even though I have faith in the platform's success). Price parity would be enough for me to grab a Windows Phone... but I don't want to take a leap and pay more to do it.

You are right though, I do need to consider that more...

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Fluue posted:

I'd just go for the maxx. They're identical in almost every other way other than like .1mm thickness difference.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

abagofcheetos posted:

(even though I have faith in the platform's success).

I don't know why, they have half the marketshare RIM does, which is pathetic.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I'm probably going with the Razr HD because while the huge battery life is nice, I don't really see myself without some way to charge it, whether it's at work, home, or in the car. Even on my Galaxy Nexus I could get 2 days of use.

repugnant
Jun 29, 2005

You can only think of me.

I got a Razr M to replace my iPhone 4. I really like its size and battery life, but streaming music over bluetooth is terrible. I tried with headphones, speakers, and my car's audio system and there's so much static and noise no matter what I try. Phone calls all sound good, but music is unlistenable. My iPhone worked great with all of the same devices.

I just did a factory reset because I had played with a lot of settings and that didn't help. Is there something I should do? I'm thinking of taking it back to the store to see if it's just an issue with my particular handset.

mrchina
Sep 8, 2004
I have an extra line on my account that has unlimited data and is able to be transfered to anybody that wants it (it currently has a galaxy nexus on it)... Where is the best place to sell this line + phone? The line still has about 1.5 years left on contract.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

mrchina posted:

I have an extra line on my account that has unlimited data and is able to be transfered to anybody that wants it (it currently has a galaxy nexus on it)... where is the best place to sell this line + phone? still has about 1.5 years lefg on contract.

TOL will require a plan change. Unlimited doesn't survive it anymore.

mrchina
Sep 8, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

TOL will require a plan change. Unlimited doesn't survive it anymore.

I called and spoke with verizon, girl on phone didn't know and transfered me to a manager that said an assumption of liability would keep all service as is including unlimited data.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

mrchina posted:

I called and spoke with verizon, girl on phone didn't know and transfered me to a manager that said an assumption of liability would keep all service as is including unlimited data.

Generally, Customer Service doesn't know dick, so make sure you get any guarantees like that in writing. Go to a corporate store and ask them the same questions and see what answers you get.

You will get hosed on this, I almost guarantee it

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I just want to let anyone who has an HD MAXX know, the diztronic case is really well done.

I'm usually a naked phone person, but I do like to have a TPU case on hand for certain occasions (if I know I'm going to be out and about in a setting that's increases the likelihood of phone damage.)

They toned down the lip a little compared to the galaxy nexus case so it has a dramatic effect on the perceived bulk of the case. It really doesn't feel like it adds much to the device at all. In all, it fits quite nicely.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 15, 2012

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

I just want to let anyone who has an HD MAXX know, the diztronic case is really well done.

I'm usually a naked phone person, but I do like to have a TPU case on hand for certain occasions (if I know I'm going to be out and about in a setting that's increases the likelihood of phone damage.)

They toned down the lip a little compared to the galaxy nexus case so it has a dramatic effect on the perceived bulk of the case. It really doesn't feel like it adds much to the device at all. in all, it fits quite nicely.

This one? http://www.amazon.com/Diztronic-Flexible-Motorola-Verizon-Packaging/dp/B009POO0DU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yup, that's it.

I actually made a mistake and ordered the non-MAXX one earlier. Well, it wasn't so much as a mistake as an assumption. They didn't have the MAXX version online at first (only went on sale this week) and I thought that they were similar enough in size that it wouldn't matter. I use the one with my galaxy nexus with both the extended and normal battery so I thought it wouldn't be a big deal.

Well, it was, the regular HD case just won't fit right on it. But the MAXX one fits perfectly.

At $10, it isn't worth the postage to return the non-MAXX one to amazon unfortunately.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
Is there anyway to import my dictionary from the normal Motorola keyboard to swype? I do a lot of one handed operation and swype is real 'handy'. But swypes dictionary is dreadful.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

repugnant posted:

I got a Razr M to replace my iPhone 4. I really like its size and battery life, but streaming music over bluetooth is terrible. I tried with headphones, speakers, and my car's audio system and there's so much static and noise no matter what I try. Phone calls all sound good, but music is unlistenable. My iPhone worked great with all of the same devices.

I just did a factory reset because I had played with a lot of settings and that didn't help. Is there something I should do? I'm thinking of taking it back to the store to see if it's just an issue with my particular handset.

Mine works fine streaming to my Pioneer Head unit.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

abagofcheetos posted:

Any word on any Windows Phone 8 deals? I want a Windows Phone SO BAD, but Walmart offering the S3 for $30 after rebate for Black Friday is pretty much unbeatable...

Trust me, if you went into a indirect and asked for the 822 for $30 after rebate, I'd be amazed if they said no.

My stores are thinking of doing them free after rebate to counter all the S3 black friday deals, which I don't get at all these stores doing silly deals on, since its one of the worst margin phones we have right now.

repugnant
Jun 29, 2005

You can only think of me.

Mighty Horse posted:

Mine works fine streaming to my Pioneer Head unit.

I took the phone back to the store along with my portable bluetooth speakers. We tried a fresh-from-the-box Razr M and it played perfectly. The guy replaced my phone, so yay for Verizon I guess.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

My Razr M made a funny noise at me Yesterday...

It was the "Hey, I need to be charged" tone. I had simply never heard it before.

Still at 18% left at this point too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Something is wrong with your phone though, it's waking up waaaaay too often (unless you are getting like a steady stream of push email or something.)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

bull3964 posted:

Yup, that's it.

I actually made a mistake and ordered the non-MAXX one earlier. Well, it wasn't so much as a mistake as an assumption. They didn't have the MAXX version online at first (only went on sale this week) and I thought that they were similar enough in size that it wouldn't matter. I use the one with my galaxy nexus with both the extended and normal battery so I thought it wouldn't be a big deal.

Well, it was, the regular HD case just won't fit right on it. But the MAXX one fits perfectly.

At $10, it isn't worth the postage to return the non-MAXX one to amazon unfortunately.

Amazon normally covers postage, and on something that cheap they may refund without having you return it too (I've had that happen before on something cheap.)

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Mighty Horse posted:

My Razr M made a funny noise at me Yesterday...

It was the "Hey, I need to be charged" tone. I had simply never heard it before.

Still at 18% left at this point too.

Holy poo poo look at that loving awake time! If it weren't for your minimal usage of screen-on time your battery life would be so much worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

ProjektorBoy posted:

Holy poo poo look at that loving awake time! If it weren't for your minimal usage of screen-on time your battery life would be so much worse.

bull3964 posted:

Something is wrong with your phone though, it's waking up waaaaay too often (unless you are getting like a steady stream of push email or something.)

I have exchange push email, so yep, lots of awake time, also I stream a lot in the car from the XM app.

When I ran the same setup on my Nexus, I think I got about 4 hours.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 16, 2012

• Locked thread