Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

theperminator posted:

What is the point of a dipstick with a keylock on it? are people afraid their oil will be stolen?

People will steal anything. Someone stole the oil cap on my old jeep wrangler, and I didn't notice until the oil light came on after it finished spraying oil all over the under-hood area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Twisto, should only be an hour of shop labor plus the cost of the rebuild kit.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

this time of year shops are pretty empty too, so it shouldn't take too long either (barring waiting for parts to arrive from Italy or something).

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
So I've had a Honda Rebel 250 for 3.5 years because I pretty much haven't been able to afford a new bike. We'll I've got a fancy new job post grad school so I'm looking to upgrade. I can't decide if I should stick with a cruiser and get a HD Iron 883 (but I'm worried about reliability) or the new Honda CB500F (but I'm worried that it won't have enough power since they are still marketing it as a beginner bike). So my questions are, how reliable are Harleys and do you think the new Honda CB500F will have enough power to justify me getting a standard bike?

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
HD's have been plenty reliable for decades now. Their reputation has been stained from the 70's when they were owned by a bowling company. If you like their looks, sounds, and are OK with their performance the only legit reason that should keep you from buying one is that they cost an arm and a leg for what you get. Lots of people are OK paying the premium, and if you're one of them you should.

That said if you're going for a Sportster as anything but a starter bike the Iron is the only option. If I were I would consider going bigger even, lots of Dynas out there don't look as big as they are. The new Cross Bones is the best looking bike they've put out in awhile in my option, but they've discontinued it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

McLarenF1 posted:

So I've had a Honda Rebel 250 for 3.5 years because I pretty much haven't been able to afford a new bike. We'll I've got a fancy new job post grad school so I'm looking to upgrade. I can't decide if I should stick with a cruiser and get a HD Iron 883 (but I'm worried about reliability) or the new Honda CB500F (but I'm worried that it won't have enough power since they are still marketing it as a beginner bike). So my questions are, how reliable are Harleys and do you think the new Honda CB500F will have enough power to justify me getting a standard bike?

The CB500F and the Harley will probably be relatively comparable in performance. The harley makes about 50hp, the CB is supposed to make about the same. But the Harley will be much heavier.

If you're looking at standards, don't know why you wouldn't just buy an SV650 instead though. More power, same weight as the CB500, known good engine, good aftermarket, cheaper.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
I just don't like the SV650 styling not to mention that for some reason the number of them available around the DC metro area isn't as high as others. Plus I can afford a new bike for once in my life, so I'd rather not get a used one.

Thanks for the input guys. I guess I'll have to check out the CB500F at the motorcycle show in Jan and go test drive the Iron 883 whenever we get a decently warm day.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

There are plenty of other options out there that will fit your styling needs. A Street Triple and a Gladius are both in the same ballpark of styling as the newer CB's. Triumph standards are also pretty.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Xovaan posted:

Triumph standards are also pretty.

And don't forget the Bonneville, which makes more power than either the Sporty or the CB500F, at around 67HP.

(seriously, who is buying Sportster 883s when the Bonneville is all around a completely better bike in every subjective and objective way, for less money?)

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
He's right on that.
http://www.cycleworld.com/2010/09/16/harley-davidson-iron-883-vs-honda-shadow-rs-vs-triumph-bonneville-comparison-test/

If you're looking new and not shopping Craigslist deals there's also this sexy new thing from Honda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGcVpsqQlBM

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

HotCanadianChick posted:

And don't forget the Bonneville, which makes more power than either the Sporty or the CB500F, at around 67HP.

(seriously, who is buying Sportster 883s when the Bonneville is all around a completely better bike in every subjective and objective way, for less money?)

Maybe it's because I live mere miles outside the hipster fortresses of Silverlake and Eagle Rock, but Bonnies and indeed Triumphs in general cannot be found used for anything resembling a reasonable price. 883s were bad too but at least there are enough around that you can talk the owner down in price. This one is what, $1000 more than it retailed for? At least it's well maintained with low miles and not "cafe" style or bobber style (Oh god why? :aaa:)

I know Mclaren is looking at new bikes which is totally different, but I remember this pissing me off when I was looking at classic styled bikes in the Sportster pricerange (ended up with an 883R).

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Maybe it's because I live mere miles outside the hipster fortresses of Silverlake and Eagle Rock, but Bonnies and indeed Triumphs in general cannot be found used for anything resembling a reasonable price. 883s were bad too but at least there are enough around that you can talk the owner down in price. This one is what, $1000 more than it retailed for? At least it's well maintained with low miles and not "cafe" style or bobber style (Oh god why? :aaa:)

I know Mclaren is looking at new bikes which is totally different, but I remember this pissing me off when I was looking at classic styled bikes in the Sportster pricerange (ended up with an 883R).

That cafe isn't too bad but the bobber, Jesus Christ. What a waste of a good bonneville.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

The bike is an easy head turner. I'm frequently stopped and people comment on it.

Well, it's not an old Triumph where this would be normal, so I'm gonna go with "yuppie", Jim.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Dumb question. What is the stock tire pressure for a Bandit 1200 with PR3's? Everyone's-a tellin' me a different number and I don't know who to believe. :tinfoil:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Stock pressure on a Bandit 600 is 33/36 psi front/rear. Dunno if the 1200 is any different, though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That's hard to answer because PR3s aren't the stock tire. I usually do 2-5lbs under the tire's max rated pressure.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Xovaan posted:

Dumb question. What is the stock tire pressure for a Bandit 1200 with PR3's? Everyone's-a tellin' me a different number and I don't know who to believe. :tinfoil:

I'd run 38/40 or so for commute use.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Twisto, should only be an hour of shop labor plus the cost of the rebuild kit.

Pretty much spot-on, although they only charged me 45 minutes and for fresh fluid through the system. Turns out it was the slave cylinder rather than the master, which on reflection makes more sense given the problems I was seeing (and as you also predicted).

Still, I'm well happy with getting away with a £50 bill for what could have been a much nastier problem. Any east London goons, I can heartily recommend Pole Position for all your needs (they also did a really cheap caliper rebuild for me when they were putting on new tyres and brake pads for me earlier in the year).

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

Xovaan posted:

There are plenty of other options out there that will fit your styling needs. A Street Triple and a Gladius are both in the same ballpark of styling as the newer CB's. Triumph standards are also pretty.

Yeah, I wouldn't ever recommend a street triple to someone coming off a small cruiser. CB500f is probably a great bike, I'd go for that over the Harley any day.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I dunno. Bikes only go as fast as you twist the throttle. I started on an SV650 and moved onto my Bandit pretty early on with almost no issues at all. Really a Street Triple won't be that much different if you learned proper instrument control on a smaller cc bike. I felt my SV650 would have been perfect had it been a tad bit faster (SV800 please? ...please?) and anything less than that would just be anemic aside from the giggle-fun-factor of a 75cc race prepped scooter or a "beginner" bike like a Ninja 250 or a GS500.

A Speed Triple's ~100 horsepower is gonna be just as fast 0-60 as an SV or a CB500 to an amateur rider. All the bike are pretty comparable, but you have a lot more options for riding style/avoiding bad situations with more horsepower, at least from what I've seen. For example: Today I had two people merge into me mid-corner in traffic and my only option was pancaking the bike and hammering the throttle to avoid them. I'm a very conservative and safe rider, but power is one of those things I would rather have and not need than need and not have. If you ride a cruiser, you're already in a state of non-dong rider mindset, so bigger bikes shouldn't be an issue.

That said, anyone wanna trade a KTM 690 SMC for a Bandit? :sun:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Xovaan posted:

Just ship your Bandit over to the east coast, I will take reaaal good care of it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Xovaan posted:

A Speed Triple's ~100 horsepower is gonna be just as fast 0-60 as an SV or a CB500 to an amateur rider. All the bike are pretty comparable, but you have a lot more options for riding style/avoiding bad situations with more horsepower, at least from what I've seen. For example: Today I had two people merge into me mid-corner in traffic and my only option was pancaking the bike and hammering the throttle to avoid them. I'm a very conservative and safe rider, but power is one of those things I would rather have and not need than need and not have. If you ride a cruiser, you're already in a state of non-dong rider mindset, so bigger bikes shouldn't be an issue.

This probably all goes in the 'what kind of bike should I get' thread, but

The reason you don't recommend a more powerful bike like an St3 to 'an amateur rider' is that if they panic or slip or something and whack that throttle open, that power can come up in a hurry. The SV's power delivery tapers off much more on the high end so it doesn't bite your rear end so hard if you get that inadvertent full throttle.

If I was looking at a cruiser at all I'd look at a midsize metric. A Harley 883 just runs out of steam quick and if you're doing any distance / two-up riding you'll probably want more power. Yes, people do it, people also do it on 250s and don't know what they're missing. For the Sportster you can move up to the 1200 (it's a lot less gutsy than it sounds) or go metric. This time of year the metric dealers have stock that you can basically name your price on, so save a bundle that you can spend on customizing it into your own. I'd look in the 800-950 range for viable distance/2-up capability without getting too massive and heavy.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

McLarenF1 posted:

I can't decide if I should stick with a cruiser and get a HD Iron 883 (but I'm worried about reliability) or the new Honda CB500F (but I'm worried that it won't have enough power since they are still marketing it as a beginner bike). So my questions are, how reliable are Harleys and do you think the new Honda CB500F will have enough power to justify me getting a standard bike?

You'd need to be the judge of it, but unless you've been asleep at the controls for the past 3.5 years, I suspect you can handle more bike than a wheezy little beginner 500.

For about half the price of a CB500F you could do a CB900F (or Hornet 919) - hell even the CB600F (Hornet 599) would be a way bigger kick in the pants than the new 500.

Cruiser-wise, unless you're still learning how to hold the bike up at stoplights I don't see much of a reason to go small. If you like the sporty, at least try out a 1200. The 1200 and the 883 weigh virtually the same and the power difference is almost negligible; 1200 pretty much means more torque.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Pretty much spot-on, although they only charged me 45 minutes and for fresh fluid through the system. Turns out it was the slave cylinder rather than the master, which on reflection makes more sense given the problems I was seeing (and as you also predicted).

Still, I'm well happy with getting away with a £50 bill for what could have been a much nastier problem. Any east London goons, I can heartily recommend Pole Position for all your needs (they also did a really cheap caliper rebuild for me when they were putting on new tyres and brake pads for me earlier in the year).

Always nice to find a good shop.

I'll throw out a recommendation here for bay area goons for ACS down in San Jose...they're the only shop I'd consider taking my bikes to if I needed some work done and couldn't do it myself.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
I've got a little Honda CBR125, 2007 model. Took a low speed spill on it and it landed on its right side a few weeks back, fixed the indicators, mirrors, clutch and gearshift (some dipshit decided to knock it over on is left not long after I'd fixed the right side), but it won't start unless it's in neutral (not really a dealbreaker, it's quite cold where I live so I need to rev + choke it anyway in the mornings). Any suggstions?

Also, since the spill, the handlebars shake under anything more than very light front braking. I'm going to try tightening the three bolts that link the handlebars to the wheel, but the only other thing I can think of is on the left fork there's a couple of rivulets of rust, almost like it leaked or something. Haven't noticed it before, and there's nothing on the right fork. Any suggestions?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Wootcannon posted:

I've got a little Honda CBR125, 2007 model. Took a low speed spill on it and it landed on its right side a few weeks back, fixed the indicators, mirrors, clutch and gearshift (some dipshit decided to knock it over on is left not long after I'd fixed the right side), but it won't start unless it's in neutral (not really a dealbreaker, it's quite cold where I live so I need to rev + choke it anyway in the mornings). Any suggstions?

Also, since the spill, the handlebars shake under anything more than very light front braking. I'm going to try tightening the three bolts that link the handlebars to the wheel, but the only other thing I can think of is on the left fork there's a couple of rivulets of rust, almost like it leaked or something. Haven't noticed it before, and there's nothing on the right fork. Any suggestions?

Probably lost the clutch safety switch or the kickstand switch on #1.

#2, you need to loosen the front end up and let things spring straight again. Dave moss explains it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFV7ZJrORWw

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Z3n posted:

Probably lost the clutch safety switch or the kickstand switch on #1.

#2, you need to loosen the front end up and let things spring straight again. Dave moss explains it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFV7ZJrORWw

Its the clutch switch, if it was the kickstand switch it wouldn't run in gear at all.

The braking vibes could be twisted forks like z3n said, that or a bent brake rotor or else you've blown a forkseal.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

echomadman posted:

Its the clutch switch, if it was the kickstand switch it wouldn't run in gear at all.

The braking vibes could be twisted forks like z3n said, that or a bent brake rotor or else you've blown a forkseal.

I'm clearly going to be spending this week with my face buried in a Haynes, aren't I. On that note, any other good resources for repairing bikes for plonkers/squiddy-as-all-get-out morons like myself?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Workshop manuals are pretty easy to follow.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Wootcannon posted:

I'm clearly going to be spending this week with my face buried in a Haynes, aren't I. On that note, any other good resources for repairing bikes for plonkers/squiddy-as-all-get-out morons like myself?

Google and model-specific message boards

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Wootcannon posted:

do the simplest things first, make sure the bars are straight in the triples.
the clutch switch could be broken in a few ways, either the wires to it have been pulled or the clutch lever isnt actuating the switch. have a look under the clutch for 2 wires leading to a microswitch. if its a broken/disconnected wire just reconnect it, if its the switch consult the haynes manual for specific troubleshooting info.

Check the brake disk by getting the front wheel off the ground a bit (get someone to heel it over on the kickstand and hold it up) put a screwdriver against the fork leg with the head close to, but not touching the brake disk and spin the wheel. watch the gap between the disk and the screwdriver tip, if it changes then the rotor is bent.

To check the forkseals clean the stanchions so they're dry then bounce the front end hard a few times and check for rings of fluid or grime on the stanchions.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

Cheers much, will give a more detailed reply later when I've had a better look at it, am pretty sure the clutch switch is fine, if that's the one at the clutch lever, popped those two wires in myself and triple-checked them.

e:

echomadman posted:

do the simplest things first, make sure the bars are straight in the triples.
Is that the 3 bolts? Because if so, yes, they appear to be.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

So this is kind of a continuation of something from "Tell me what bike to buy". I was looking at the first picture on http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/3403323929.html and it seems that the brake rod for the rear drum is funky... and sticking out weirdly. Looking online (not really familiar with drum brakes) I'm pretty sure the little lever linking the rod to the actual brake assembly should be on the bottom, which may explain why the rod is sticking out too far. Any thoughts on my analysis? I don't want to clutter up that thread with braketalk.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Wootcannon posted:

Is that the 3 bolts? Because if so, yes, they appear to be.

Which 3 bolts? What he is talking about Is the bolts that clamp the forks down in in the triple trees on each side.

With the front tire still in the air from checking your disk brake, loosen the bolts holding the fork tubes. Most bikes just have one bolt securing the bottom clamp on each side, and then one or two on the top. You just need to loosen them a bit, not so much you can slide the forks out. Stand over the front tire, gripping it with your thighs, then grab the handle bars and give them a slight twist to the left& right (like you are turning but holding the front tire straight). Then straighten the bars so they are pointing straight when the tire is and tighten everything back up. This is a pretty common fix to have to do after you drop one and then the bars don't point straight anymore (I've never had it cause shuddering but it's worth a shot).

Pham Nuwen posted:

So this is kind of a continuation of something from "Tell me what bike to buy". I was looking at the first picture on http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/3403323929.html and it seems that the brake rod for the rear drum is funky... and sticking out weirdly. Looking online (not really familiar with drum brakes) I'm pretty sure the little lever linking the rod to the actual brake assembly should be on the bottom, which may explain why the rod is sticking out too far. Any thoughts on my analysis? I don't want to clutter up that thread with braketalk.

That actuating arm can point either direction and it works the same. Some bikes have it pointing up, some down. The only thing that matters is there is clearance for the rod to pull it without binding or hitting something.

I'm not familiar with your particular market but I would try to get that bike for about half what he's asking.

obso fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 21, 2012

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

obso posted:

Does this sound like a wrist pin tick?

http://youtu.be/7Vcur_mmC-A

The video makes it sound way louder than it is. It sounds more like valvetrain noise but I've set the lash and checked the cam chain tension(er) with no difference. It definitely sounds like it's coming from the top end.

The bike is a 80 Yamaha SR250 with just over 7k miles (rescued from a field). Not that a picture makes a difference but here it is.

Well just an update. Whatever is making that tick is coming from the bottom end. So I'm guessing it's the rod bearing. Any idea how big of a job this is on a yamaha thumper? (not like their air-cooled design has changed any in the last 30 years) I've done plenty of top end rebuilds but never had to split the case on one.

And also what is the likelihood of this failing catastrophically? My roommate is having to ride it to work for the next couple weeks (a whole ~5min ride) while her truck is getting repaired. Right now I'm just trying to listen for it to get louder until I get the time to tear it down.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I noticed a couple things cleaning up my bike and they made me have questions.

First thing is I noticed that my seat cover is starting to tear and wear away at the corner. What can I do to fix this up before it gets worse? Stitch in time saves nine etc.

Second is my front brake lever has started to feel a little loose (assuming it's not in my head), but not at the joint where the lever is bolted into the bars, at the joint where the adjuster is. See pic:

Problem is, that's a rivet, obviously. Is there anything I can do about that?

edit; whoops big images

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

nsaP posted:

First thing is I noticed that my seat cover is starting to tear and wear away at the corner. What can I do to fix this up before it gets worse? Stitch in time saves nine etc.

Second is my front brake lever has started to feel a little loose (assuming it's not in my head), but not at the joint where the lever is bolted into the bars, at the joint where the adjuster is. See pic:

Problem is, that's a rivet, obviously. Is there anything I can do about that?

edit; whoops big images

What size rivet? If it's 3/8, drill it out an replace with a new pop rivet. If it's a non-standard size . . .

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

nsaP posted:

I would wait until you're sick of it and get a replacement from Renazco or what have you.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Can you explain what you mean by the "joint where the adjuster is"? What joint are you referring to? The adjuster should just regulate how far away from the bars the lever is.

Do you mean that open circle portion between the dial wheel and the mounting pivot point is another joint? If so, just go buy a chinese knockoff lever for 20 bucks or Pazzors, CRG, etc if you wanna get spendy.. Don't try to go crazy riveting the lever or something. That seems like more work than it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah, I mean that riveted joint closest to the adjuster, not the screw bolt joint closer to the bars. Here's a terrible gif of the play because I am bad at pictures and the sun was setting behind the bike.

Not huge, but more than it used to have. Enough wobble that I noticed. I have no rivets or gun so that's no problem, I was thinking more drilling and bolting that joint, but I figured if they used a rivet on it maybe there was a reason.

RE: the seat, waiting till it gets lovely then buying a new one is an option, but is there nothing I can do for a patch?