Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Why aren't my meticulously tagged albums doing the color matching trick? All of mine have that greyish blue background and no album art in the popout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
For some reason they've removed the vertical column browser, which was more ergonomic for browsing Classical music by composers.

Are we Windows scrubs not entitled to a bit of Helvetica? The bold (I think) Lucida Grande in particular looks bad in the artist and playlist side panes.

beefnoodle posted:

Accidental discoveries:

While trying to figure out how to drag a video to my iPad (I manually manage stuff), I discovered that if you grab an item from the library and start dragging it, a sidebar will fly in giving you access to playlists and connected devices.

This is great.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Okay, so not only does this not fix the bug I've had where my iPhone doesn't start syncing right away when I plug it in via USB, but now there is no more menu option to force the sync. I have to click the device and then click the sync button, taking focus away from what I'm playing.

Man I'm hoping for a drastic 11.1 soon.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Decided to update anyway and was relieved that streaming works fine with Playback (am I the only person who uses this by the way?) Also despite all the new bells and whistles that are there, it's nice that with a few tiny tweaks and settings I could make iTunes look and work just like it did before, status bars and side bars included.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Also I noticed if you click the album art in the main play window (center of the top bar, it pops up a not-so-mini player.
Clicking on album art has done this for a while, actually. Didn't discover it myself until a few months ago. I don't like how tiny the album art is now in the main play window though and you can't get it to appear anywhere while in "songs" view, but nitpick nitpick.

Neon Bible
May 4, 2009

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

Why aren't my meticulously tagged albums doing the color matching trick? All of mine have that greyish blue background and no album art in the popout.
You need to check that box:

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Oh great! Thanks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The "In the Store" album menu looks universally bunk on all my albums.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I really wish there was a way to change the Played counter to half the song, 3/4 of a song or w/e ala last.fm. It'd largely negate the need to rate my music. I oftentimes bounce around from track to track, or skip to the next one when one is about to end or has a really long annoying outro. Is there a way to incorporate my last.fm plays into iTunes?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mu Zeta posted:

Appears to be for podcasts? I don't think you can edit that info.

You can... You just can't use iTunes to do so. :ssh:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Rinkles posted:

The "In the Store" album menu looks universally bunk on all my albums.

Don't worry. It looks like crap (and is equally useless) in OS X too.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

So how do I add MP3 clippings into the ringtones section? All I can find online is useless (and inaccurate) guff about loving about converting files to AAC and changing the file extension and whatever, and I refuse to believe that in 2012 such arcane bullshit is require just to make my phone play stupid tinkly tones when I get a call.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Gio posted:

I really wish there was a way to change the Played counter to half the song, 3/4 of a song or w/e ala last.fm. It'd largely negate the need to rate my music. I oftentimes bounce around from track to track, or skip to the next one when one is about to end or has a really long annoying outro. Is there a way to incorporate my last.fm plays into iTunes?

Get info on a song, and one of the tabs lets you select start and end times. I do this for songs that have a lot of blank filler at the end, or annoying intros that just meander on forever.

TACD posted:

So how do I add MP3 clippings into the ringtones section? All I can find online is useless (and inaccurate) guff about loving about converting files to AAC and changing the file extension and whatever, and I refuse to believe that in 2012 such arcane bullshit is require just to make my phone play stupid tinkly tones when I get a call.

Yup, this is the only way to do it. I just use Audacity to edit the MP3, export it as an AAC file, and then rename the extension and add to iTunes. I would do this anyways even if iTunes did handle mp3s though, because Audacity gives you a lot more control on how you edit stuff. (For example, I fade in and fade out the end of the clip so it just sounds more pleasant).

benisntfunny posted:

I can't speak to your bug issue because I've watched this work many times but your force sync button is certainly there.

Yeah, but you have to click to get to that page, taking focus off of your playlist, in order to sync. At least before it was the same number of clicks, but it was in a menu (so I guess one less click since I have to click back to the playlist after clicking sync).

IUG fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 30, 2012

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

IUG posted:

Okay, so not only does this not fix the bug I've had where my iPhone doesn't start syncing right away when I plug it in via USB, but now there is no more menu option to force the sync. I have to click the device and then click the sync button, taking focus away from what I'm playing.

Man I'm hoping for a drastic 11.1 soon.

I can't speak to your bug issue because I've watched this work many times but your force sync button is certainly there.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

TACD posted:

Then you might never get custom ringtones. If it's an MP3 file it needs to be converted to aac (native audio format for iPhone) and the file extension changed to m4r (r as in ringtone) so iTunes knows it's a ringtone and not a song.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Don't worry. It looks like crap (and is equally useless) in OS X too.

Looks correct here. :confused:

I've already used it to buy music too.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

After my handful of crashes yesterday, I haven't had one since.

I'm loving the new mini player, but I wish there was a minimize button on it, instead of having to go back to the normal-sized window to do it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Holy poo poo having my entire library on iCloud instead of my MacBook Air is a godsend.

Look at all those albums in the glorious ~*~*~*~CLOUD~*~*~*~

The interface is snazzy too.

Thanks to iTunes Match I'm thinking of dumping my old iPod and switching to a touch to have all my music available at work. It's amazing.

Yeah, this update is goddamned amazing overall. Not perfect but man this has been a much needed overhaul.

Green Eyed Loco-Man
Aug 27, 2008
I've seens screenshots of people using "Up Next" where it's autopopulating the list from the music library. Anybody know how to get it do that? Right now I have to "fake" iTunes DJ-functionality by adding large random playlists.

For reference, from the YOSPOS-thread:

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
No matter what I do I cannot get itunes to not show a single album as two separate albums. It has one track on the album as it's own album, and the rest on it's own album. I've tried doing the tricks like changing the album name or artist name to something else and change back, but no matter what I do I can't get these to sync up. Any ideas?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Make sure all the tags match - comments, sort fields, dates, everything.

Impact Damage
Mar 1, 2007

Try to avoid these conditions as much as possible.
So I'm manually working my way down my library and trying to set everything straight after years of mixed and redundant artists. I had a few duplicate tracks because one copy would say "Beastie Boys" while the other would say "The Beastie Boys". After eliminating redundant tracks, selecting all and relabeling both the Artist and Album Artist as "Beastie Boys" so they're all consistent, I'm having issue with this single album displaying redundant artist information beneath the tracks. Any thoughts? Is this some view setting I'm missing or something?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Same sort artist? Is it marked as a compilation?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

beefnoodle posted:

Make sure all the tags match - comments, sort fields, dates, everything.

To be more specific the tags in info need to match AND the ones in sorting.

Impact Damage
Mar 1, 2007

beefnoodle posted:

Same sort artist? Is it marked as a compilation?

Double checked and none of the tracks are marked as a compilation and I tried both deleting the "Sort Artist" entry and replacing it with a consistent Beastie Boys entry. Nothing seems to change, I haven't come across any other artists that have their name displayed beneath their track while sorting everything by Artist (granted I just got started and I'm still in the B's).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Impact Damage posted:

Double checked and none of the tracks are marked as a compilation and I tried both deleting the "Sort Artist" entry and replacing it with a consistent Beastie Boys entry. Nothing seems to change, I haven't come across any other artists that have their name displayed beneath their track while sorting everything by Artist (granted I just got started and I'm still in the B's).

At this point I usually just select the two "albums" and get info on them. I retype each field one by one, adding a space or deleting one, and then putting it back proper. Eventually I'll just blank out all the other fields, including sort, composer, genre, etc, until I get them together in one album.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Going to the sort fields and blanking everything always works for me when albums do silly things.

Impact Damage
Mar 1, 2007

IUG, perhaps you're mixing me up with a previous poster or I wasn't clear but the problem I'm having is that in addition to the usual artist, album and track labels, there is a redundant artist label beneath every individual track. The image I posted is that of the affected trouble album Check Your Head in comparison to the album Ill Communication which is how the rest of my tracks typically appear in the rest of my library. I'm not trying to combine the two as they are separate albums, it's just for sake of illustration. There's nothing functionally wrong here besides taking up additional visual space but it's bugging the hell out of me because not a single other track I've come across so far has this additional artist label beneath the tracks.

I've tried everyone's suggestions so far, none of the tracks are labeled as part of a compilation, I've tried relabeling and clearing Artist, Album and just tried Dead Goon's suggestion of clearing out all of the sorting fields which had no effect. I'm stumped. Is there a particular term for that secondary artist label beneath the track title? Under what circumstance does that usually pop up? I'm assuming you can do it intentionally so maybe finding the way to actively try to do it will help me find a way to disable it.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Dead Goon posted:

Going to the sort fields and blanking everything always works for me when albums do silly things.

Yeah, I've had stupid stuff like trailing spaces and god knows what else. This has always worked for me.

Edit: I'm getting this behavior in the new itunes when Artist and Album Artist don't match for at least one song in the album.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 30, 2012

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Ok how do I sort podcasts oldest to newest in podcasts view? This is ridiculous.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Impact Damage posted:

Is there a particular term for that secondary artist label beneath the track title? Under what circumstance does that usually pop up? I'm assuming you can do it intentionally so maybe finding the way to actively try to do it will help me find a way to disable it.

Do you have an Album Artist different from the Artist set? You can have all the same artist, but if thats different, it'll show the extra artists. Otherwise PFlats is right, you probably got a trailing space or something.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Impact Damage posted:

IUG, perhaps you're mixing me up with a previous poster or I wasn't clear but the problem I'm having is that in addition to the usual artist, album and track labels, there is a redundant artist label beneath every individual track. The image I posted is that of the affected trouble album Check Your Head in comparison to the album Ill Communication which is how the rest of my tracks typically appear in the rest of my library. I'm not trying to combine the two as they are separate albums, it's just for sake of illustration. There's nothing functionally wrong here besides taking up additional visual space but it's bugging the hell out of me because not a single other track I've come across so far has this additional artist label beneath the tracks.

I've tried everyone's suggestions so far, none of the tracks are labeled as part of a compilation, I've tried relabeling and clearing Artist, Album and just tried Dead Goon's suggestion of clearing out all of the sorting fields which had no effect. I'm stumped. Is there a particular term for that secondary artist label beneath the track title? Under what circumstance does that usually pop up? I'm assuming you can do it intentionally so maybe finding the way to actively try to do it will help me find a way to disable it.

Maybe I was. Can you look at one of the tracks with the extra Beastie Boys and show it's info window? I figure it's probably something like Album Artist being filled in. Since I know on Hello Nasty you have "Dr. Lee, PhD" by Beatie Boys and Lee Perry. So I guess in theory you would have the artist be "Beastie Boys and Lee Perry", and the album artist as "Beastie Boys". Maybe that second line it to show you who the artist(s) on that song are if you have them filled in. Like all those tracks that are "Featuring " whoever, rather than putting it in the song title.

EDIT: Beaten, look at PFlats' post for what I mean, under Kanye's tracks.

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
In genre view any way to change the pic next to a genre in the sidebar?

Impact Damage
Mar 1, 2007

Wow that was maddening, okay, so I went through the Artist/Album Artist/Sort Artist/Sort Album Artist fields and cleared out each field. What had confused me was when those fields were already clear and trying to sort out whether they were actually clear or if the information was just inconsistent (for example each track has a different track number displayed but if you select all of the tracks within an album you won't see anything pop up for the track number since the information is different for each track). Anyway, this time around I cleared out all four variants on the "Artist" entry mentioned above, deleted them dead so the entire album was lost to the ether unless I searched by the album name and then reselected the whole album and re-entered "Beastie Boys" into the first "Artist" entry and now everything is good to go.

I still don't know why they showed up that way in the first place..

Thanks for help though everyone!

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Impact Damage posted:

Wow that was maddening, okay, so I went through the Artist/Album Artist/Sort Artist/Sort Album Artist fields and cleared out each field. What had confused me was when those fields were already clear and trying to sort out whether they were actually clear or if the information was just inconsistent (for example each track has a different track number displayed but if you select all of the tracks within an album you won't see anything pop up for the track number since the information is different for each track). Anyway, this time around I cleared out all four variants on the "Artist" entry mentioned above, deleted them dead so the entire album was lost to the ether unless I searched by the album name and then reselected the whole album and re-entered "Beastie Boys" into the first "Artist" entry and now everything is good to go.

I still don't know why they showed up that way in the first place..

Thanks for help though everyone!

To make sure a particular field is clear for every selected item, check the box next to the field.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Is there any way to make iTunes sort artists by their first name rather than last name? I had to turn off Musicbrainz from using the Sort Artist, Sort Album Artist, etc.. tags because it was far too annoying to look for Paul Simon in the S section than the P section.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

trilljester posted:

Is there any way to make iTunes sort artists by their first name rather than last name? I had to turn off Musicbrainz from using the Sort Artist, Sort Album Artist, etc.. tags because it was far too annoying to look for Paul Simon in the S section than the P section.

Just clear out the Sort tags. If they're empty and the Artist/Album Artist tags say "Paul Simon," it'll be in P.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

When you click on the small album cover in the mini player, a larger album picture pops up..... with another player laid over it? What?

e:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 30, 2012

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

When you click on the small album cover in the mini player, a larger album picture pops up..... with another player laid over it? What?

e:

Move your cursor off the artwork and it goes away.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yes, but why do I need a second player on the screen at the same time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yes, but why do I need a second player on the screen at the same time?

It's the same interface as if you clicked on the album artwork in iTunes full screen. Which would let you minimize iTunes and just display a giant artwork picture. Might be nice to have controls at that point. Is it really so hard to keep your cursor off the album artwork? Oh by the way this has always been this way.