Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

TheSpiritFox posted:

This is the worst griefing story ever told. I had to look up your post history to realize you weren't talking about Second Life and when I realized what you were playing I somehow managed to lose even more respect for you as a human being than I already had.

Or maybe your post is a meta grief and you really are the master here. I'm not really sure at this point.

He was talking about the GMod RP servers, I'm pretty sure.

I thought it was funny, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

TheSpiritFox posted:

This is the worst griefing story ever told. I had to look up your post history to realize you weren't talking about Second Life and when I realized what you were playing I somehow managed to lose even more respect for you as a human being than I already had.

Or maybe your post is a meta grief and you really are the master here. I'm not really sure at this point.

Gmod RP servers?

Sorry I wasn't griefing the game of your choice I guess.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

TheSpiritFox posted:

Stop griefing the thread.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I have to side with TheSpiritFox on this one. MPB didn't even mention the name of the loving game he was doing his "griefing" in. I seriously have no idea what the gently caress the guy is talking about, it's more creepy than anything. Good job to both of you on griefing the thread, I guess.

It's an old gag, but I still get a lot of mileage out of glitching through the elevator floor in the No Mercy Hospital level of Left 4 Dead 2. Preface that with saying "I have to go now, my home planet needs me" makes for some fairly amusing reactions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iD-Qvj-at0

Not mine. This particular method of glitching through the elevator has long since been patched, but there are other ways.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

my pog boyfriend posted:

After changing my RP job in Garry's Mod to "#1 boxer"

Dillbag posted:

I have to side with TheSpiritFox on this one. MPB didn't even mention the name of the loving game he was doing his "griefing" in.
I believe that, despite all the evidence, you may be too stupid to post.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Ghostlight posted:

Did you miss the part at the bottom where he edited his post

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Ghostlight posted:

He edited that in later. I saw it before the edit and couldn't tell what the gently caress he was talking about.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yes I did. I was too busy reading his post further up the page that contains exactly the same information.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Having read this thread for a while I thought the whole 'guns dealer' and 'rp job' part of the post made it obvious enough, but it was even moreso considering that he mentions Garry's Mod RP and 'rp jobs' just a few posts previous.

Feelin' sorry for some reading comprehension today.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

I've been having a lot of fun charging up my Forge Gun (giant plasma cannon) behind a building when there is a tank on the field in Dust 514. It creates a giant blue glow and tends to scare the poo poo out of vehicle gunners, so they focus fire on the corner im about to come around.

Except I do it when there is a swarm of pubbies about to round the corner, so they run face first into a salvo of rockets and get gibbed

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
See, now THAT is funny. You'd think they'd learn to stay clear of things that instantly become primary targets on the battlefield.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I would never think that about pubbies.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
A rule of thumb with pubbies in team games is that they never pay attention to anything their team is doing.

It really raises the question of why team-based games are so popular when most people treat them like FFA games that just happen to have some people who aren't trying to kill them.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

President Ark posted:

A rule of thumb with pubbies in team games is that they never pay attention to anything their team is doing.

It really raises the question of why team-based games are so popular when most people treat them like FFA games that just happen to have some people who aren't trying to kill them.
I thought I was in the NS2 thread for a second there. Pretty much sums up the game.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Team games are popular because when you lose you can blame your teammates.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

BlueDestiny posted:

Team games are popular because when you lose you can blame your teammates.
And you don't have to be useful to win either.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
In Black Ops 2, you can equip a little gadget called the Black Hat. It allows you to hack enemy equipment, such as mines and claymores, and almost every scorestreak reward, such as a UAV or a placed turret. The best feature of the Black Hat however, is that it lets you steal Care Packages, a scorestreak that gives you another random scorestreak after a brief waiting period. You can steal care packages normally, but you have to be right up next to it and capture it slower than the person who called it in. Black Hats capture them much faster than manually doing it, and all you need is line of sight to the package to steal it.

If having some random dick on the enemy team steal it isn't enough, the Black Hat also booby traps the care package, causing it to explode and kill anyone in a ~3m radius when captured. Best of all, it works on your own teammate's Care Packages. Nothing harvests more tears than stealing a friendly care package and then teamkilling the person who called it in with their own sentry turret.

There's also a perk you can equip called Engineer. Engineer allows you to see where enemy equipment is placed, and also allows you to re-roll a care package into another random streak, with the odds titled even more in favor of the lower tier streaks. Converting a 1700 point reward into a 350 point one will always be hilarious.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Having a field of meatshields distracting and damaging the enemy players also handily disguises how completely terrible you actually are.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Vadun posted:

I've been having a lot of fun charging up my Forge Gun (giant plasma cannon) behind a building when there is a tank on the field in Dust 514. It creates a giant blue glow and tends to scare the poo poo out of vehicle gunners, so they focus fire on the corner im about to come around.

Except I do it when there is a swarm of pubbies about to round the corner, so they run face first into a salvo of rockets and get gibbed

You can do this in just about any FPS with a grenade launcher or explosive weapon, btw. Black ops, Halo, etc. When you see Sir Pubbie boldly striding off to do battle, just shoot some rockets or grenades near him, so every enemy in the area sees the explosion and realizes that there's someone nearby. Either the pubbie gets destroyed, or he kills the enemy, is probably wounded, and is that much more likely to get killed the next time you do it.

Bonus points if they ask why and you say "COVERING FIRE!"

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Kessel posted:

Yup, it turns out Cryptic games tend to attract a special sort!

We don't just collect bios in STO, we also fumigate major ERP hideouts and parties with fire extinguishers:

Collect the most indecipherable messages from people angry with us:

And make literal penis aliens with which to invade said hideouts:

It's pretty nifty! We discovered the other day that we had collectively racked up so many terms of service violations that a GM now sits full-time in our chat channel watching for violations.

Yes, let me say that again. Perfect World Entertainment is paying one of its GMs to spend all his working hours in our chat channel to watch for terms of service violations, because we accrue more of those than the rest of the playerbase combined.

Sorry to bring this one up again, but after catching up through a few pages of posts I cannot read this one without giggling like a crazed schoolgirl.

Bravo sir, bravo.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Edge wrote an article about the history of griefing and linked this thread.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/a-history-of-griefing-meet-the-gamers-who-if-youre-lucky-only-want-to-ruin-your-day-for-kicks

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
When I was younger I'd get on the Phantasy Star Universe Demo (360) and pretend I was a girl looking for cyber sex. When I'd get a player in my private room I'd have three of my friends run out of the corner of the room and start yelling. It was so much fun.

I had a video at one point, but it's long gone. :/

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Ha, I hadn't seen the DayZ grief they linked on the first page. That one's pretty good.

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
Haha another guy and I just convinced this shithead kid on Skate that his mic was broken and he'd have to format his hard drive to fix it.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's pretty lame trolling. Like Alt-F4 and system32 lame.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Wrong, that poo poo owns.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Tardcore posted:

Wrong, that poo poo owns.

F10 trolling in Source games was stupid fun when it still worked.

I still don't know why the default bind for F10 used to be "quit prompt" (as in, quit without prompt.)

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Manuel Calavera posted:

If the guy is an rear end in a top hat and your trolling works, it's always funny.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
People still play Skate?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Manuel Calavera posted:

If you pull something that stupid and obvious and then the person goes ahead and does it then it is hilarious.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Sorry about the length and the writing style. I wrote this for another site, but never got around to posting it.

Many months ago, I ran into a problem. Minecraft was no longer fun. Playing alone was getting depressing, and finding reliable servers that appealed to my tastes was tough. At this point, I pretty much stopped playing entirely. However, as I was looking for something else to play, I thought of EVE Online. The meta-gaming aspects of that MMO had always intrigued me, and I realized that it might be interesting to see if I could accomplish something big, much bigger than the standard TNT and lava griefs.
One of the servers I frequented had a perfect setup for what I intended. The server used an economy system which allowed you to purchase plots of land, making them ungriefable to anyone not on your list, as well as own shops and run towns. As with any game that has an economy, most of the wealth was controlled by very few players, five in this case. Between their various towns, private projects, and shops, you would be hard pressed to spend more than a few minutes on the server without interacting with something of theirs. I knew that the best way to impart as much damage as possible in one move would be to go after them. More specifically, go after their money.
An important thing to note about this server was the state of the economy at the time. The shops set prices for all materials, and due to the addition of a constantly regenerating area of the map, pretty much all materials that are mined out of the ground were incredibly devalued. This led to an interesting situation in which the value of a particular material, in this case wool, was unreasonably high when compared to traditionally rarer materials such as diamonds.
With that in mind, I set to work. I sold all of my buildings and assorted projects, netting myself a tidy profit. I bought several chunks way out on the edge of the map, farther than most people would ever venture. With the money I made, I would be able to pay the in-game taxes for far longer than it would take to execute my plan, leaving me to do nothing but work on my project. From there, I began construction on a massive automated sheep farm, allowing me to let my world run for hours on end with little input. With this farm constructed, and some anti-AFK measures in place, I was soon filling dozens of chests with stacks upon stacks of wool. During this time, I was watching the member list carefully, identifying the playing patterns of each of my targets.
A few weeks later, I finally had all the wool I was ever going to need. At around 10:30 of the night of the attack, all of the five players were logged off, and my plan was set in to motion. I sent out an open call to all players, telling them where to find my massive cache of wool, and inviting them to take whatever they wished. Within minutes, players were streaming into my chest room, trying desperately to get a hold of my precious wool before it was all gone. I watched from behind a pane of glass, watched as players cleaned me out of nearly 200 thousand blocks of wool. After what seemed like forever, the first report of my success came in. "The stores aren't working," it read. At that moment, I realized I had succeeded, and it was better than I had planned. Turns out, several of the players I had targeted had made large land purchases in the couple days leading up to my attack, meaning their bank accounts were uncharacteristically low. I quickly discovered that my attack had not only bankrupted all five players with stores in the spawn area, but three other players with nearby stores as well. When the clock struck midnight, all eight of these players instantly lost all of their properties. Stores, statues, towns, etc, they were all suddenly unprotected, open to griefing by any player in the game. It only took a few minutes for people to figure this out, and then all hell broke loose. For the next hour, I walked the map, watching the violence rain down around me. Massive wool sculptures were going up in flames. Castles were being TNTed into oblivion as players ransacked formerly hidden caches of precious materials. Towns were torn apart as people searched for the valuable resources hidden within, and fights broke out between the people fighting to save their chests and the mobs intent on robbing them. Satisfied with my work, I went to sleep.
The next day, I came back to find that the carnage had not stopped. More players had been bankrupted due to the influx of items, and battles were raging over the control of their property. I logged on periodically, watching the drama unfold. As everything being done was legal, the mods were helpless to stop the destruction. My original five targets had come back to see their work destroyed, and had learned that I was the one who was ultimately behind it. I received the obligatory death threats, which to this day I regret not saving. It took until the next day, almost 36 hours after the drama started, for the the admin to come back and see the hell that had unfolded. A massive fight unfolded over what to do about it. The formerly rich targets (most of whom were monthly donors) wanted a reset, while the people who had spent a day fighting over resources pointed out that no rules were broken. The owner eventually agreed to give resources to the players who had lost them, effectively doubling the number of resources in the game, and ban me from the server. However, he adamantly refused to reset the map. This proved to be a poor decision, and the money lost from donors pulling their support ultimately led to the closing of the server.
Was my dedication to a game of virtual legos ridiculously spergy? Absolutely. However, managing to set in motion a series of events that led to real world consequences, not to mention watching an entire server rip itself to shreds, was incredibly satisfying.

e: Apparently I can't finish sentences.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 15, 2013

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

codenameFANGIO posted:

If you pull something that stupid and obvious and then the person goes ahead and does it then it is hilarious.

fair enough :v:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
That's pretty amazing. Were sheep farms banned on the server? If not I'm surprised you were the first to do that.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

JohnSherman posted:

Sorry about the length and the writing style. I wrote this for another site, but never got around to posting it.

I'm really glad I check this thread from time to time because this is a post of the year.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

How did giving people a bunch of free wool cause those 5 dudes to lose ownership of their stuff?

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Ariong posted:

How did giving people a bunch of free wool cause those 5 dudes to lose ownership of their stuff?

Because those people sold all their suddenly abundant wool to the player's shops that were still taking them at the inflated price.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ariong posted:

The shops were owned by the wealthy players, and were set up to automatically buy materials sold to them. When the wool freeloaders bumrushed the shops and sold all the wool, it completely depleted their stocks of $$$. You have to pay daily or something to continue owning land, and because these people were broke as a joke, they couldn't pay for the land and lost it.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Ariong posted:

Sorry, I guess I didn't explain that. People came and took the wool, then brought it to the various stores to sell. In this server, when you sell something to someone's shop, it pays you from their personal bank account. Since you have to pay "taxes" on chunks to own and protect them, if you go bankrupt then you lose all of your land.

e:fb

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Ooooooh, wow. That's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ariong posted:

I think it's that the people then sold it all to the stores at their high prices which cleaned out their bank accounts right before they had to pay some kind of fee using the in game economy to keep their properties protected. Basically, he started a bank run the day before the bank's income taxes were due and whoever set up their economics simulator for the server didn't have a good grasp of economic history.

• Locked thread