Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

thrawn527 posted:

The villain is Spock's half brother, whom he've never heard of before.
He has the power to "take away your pain". Somehow. Don't ask how, we won't be getting into it. He's just a really special half-Vulcan/half-human, with one very specific non-explained super power.

To be fair, Spock had a different random Vulcan psychic power each week on TOS. And Sybok was full-Vulcan, so him being a mind-melding Dr. Phil is more in line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
Star Trek V is bad because it was implemented badly by people who didn't have the budget or talent to match their ambitions but its heart is in the right place. Nemesis is bad because it's a boring cash-in on a dying franchise with contempt for its fanbase. It has no heart and no right place to put it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Tars Tarkas posted:

And Sybok was full-Vulcan, so him being a mind-melding Dr. Phil is more in line.

Well, this I did not know. But considering he looked more human than any vulcan I've ever seen, including the half-Vulcan Spock, I don't think I was too far off base assuming he was, at most, half.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Monkeyseesaw posted:

Star Trek V is bad because it was implemented badly by people who didn't have the budget or talent to match their ambitions but its heart is in the right place. Nemesis is bad because it's a boring cash-in on a dying franchise with contempt for its fanbase. It has no heart and no right place to put it.

What is this Nemesis? Everyone knows that Galaxy Quest was a great send-off to the franchise.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Monkeyseesaw posted:

This guy knows what's up. Say what you want about how lovely early TNG and Star Trek V were, they were clearly made by people who wanted to keep the franchise alive and respected the people who paid their sponsors. Around the time of Generations it was almost like the people managing the franchise had a backlash at all the success and were trying to see how much poo poo they could pass off as chocolate.

DFu4ever posted:

Insurrection's only real fault is that it had an astoundingly boring premise and was completely forgettable in every way.

Insurrection becomes much more loathsome the more you watch it and think about the premise, and becomes even more loathsome when you hear about the original pitch and how the story was neutered into a terrible and lovely romantic idea of "rural simplicity."

It was originally going to be more of a Heart of Darkness story with Picard finding his Kurtz on the planet with healing properties, then looked like it was going to be more of a "split the crew against each other" thing with the relocation plot, then somehow turned into a bland pile of horrible when all of those elements were stripped out. A shame too, either or both those movies sound awesome.

To top it off the Baku are selfish, unlikable shitheads with no redeeming qualities yet we're supposed to root for them. This becomes even more detestable when you realize that the Baku aren't even native to the planet and want to hog the healing properties for themselves. As if that weren't enough, all the Baku are white people and inadvertently play into the racism Star Trek stumbles into in the name of "progressiveness" when you consider that there was a notable TNG episode with a similar plot (including SPACE INDIANS) that ended with the natives (who were all SPACE INDIANS) being forced to leave.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 13, 2012

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

thrawn527 posted:

I'd say the best odd Star Trek film is The Search for Spock. It mainly suffers from a somewhat lackluster villain after having just gotten away from Khan, and has some strange moments. But it's fun when it needs to be, and has Kirk experiencing real loss, which is rare. (Yes, he had just lost Spock, but since he gets him back in this movie, losing David is one of the few instances of real loss that sticks with the character.)

Search for Spock also benefits greatly from being the bridge between Khan and Voyage Home.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

mind the walrus posted:

Insurrection becomes much more loathsome the more you watch it and think about the premise, and becomes even more loathsome when you hear about the original pitch and how the story was neutered into a terrible and lovely romantic idea of "rural simplicity."

It was originally going to be more of a Heart of Darkness story with Picard finding his Kurtz on the planet with healing properties, then looked like it was going to be more of a "split the crew against each other" thing with the relocation plot, then somehow turned into a bland pile of horrible when all of those elements were stripped out. A shame too, either or both those movies sound awesome.

I agree with your criticisms of Insurrection (though it's way too boring to be "loathsome") but having read Fade In my main takeaway was they never had a very good premise to start with and Michael Piller wasn't really up to writing a feature film. The Heart of Darkness aspect was hokey from the start and he was way too attached to a literal fountain of youth as the central set piece. The essay did illustrate how much bullshit you have to wade through to get a script written for a major studio film.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
If you didn't like Insurrection, you really should watch the version with the full commentary by Frakes and Sirtis. It is hilarious, revealing, informative, and also really, really sweet because Frakes knows the name of almost every supporting actor in every scene, and has nothing but nice stuff to say about them and the crew.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

computer parts posted:

The only good even numbered Treks are II and VI, which surprise are both directed by the same guy.

I think you forgot Voyage Home. If you didn't forget it then you're quite wrong

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Darko posted:

I at least like watching Nemesis now to figure out how Tom Hardy survived it. There's nothing at all watchable in 5 because it's so terrible from the cinematic angle. Like Insurrection, which I've seen once.

I'm sure he started doing weights like Joe Piscipo, but instead, it actually led him to more work with Bronson instead of languishing in anonymity.

thrawn527 posted:

I'd say the best odd Star Trek film is The Search for Spock. It mainly suffers from a somewhat lackluster villain after having just gotten away from Khan, and has some strange moments. But it's fun when it needs to be, and has Kirk experiencing real loss, which is rare. (Yes, he had just lost Spock, but since he gets him back in this movie, losing David is one of the few instances of real loss that sticks with the character.)

Not just losing his son, but losing the Enterprise as well (which has it's own poignant "death" scene) and risking his career. It's only until the end of the fourth film that he's reinstated and the Enterprise rebuilt.

Also, it's got Doc Brown and Dan Fielding as Klingons. Seriously, Christopher Lloyd is the lead Klingon and John Laroquette is the surviving Klingon.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Young Freud posted:

losing the Enterprise as well (which has it's own poignant "death" scene)

How could the writers have looked at the destruction of the D in Generations, then looked back at how awesome the destruction of the original was handled in 3, and not thrown their script into the nearest fire?

I won't even bring up Kirk's death. poo poo, I just did. God, I hate Generations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Apollodorus posted:

If you didn't like Insurrection, you really should watch the version with the full commentary by Frakes and Sirtis. It is hilarious, revealing, informative, and also really, really sweet because Frakes knows the name of almost every supporting actor in every scene, and has nothing but nice stuff to say about them and the crew.

The Frakes and Sirtis commentary singlehandedly justified the movie. It's now a hilarious comedy duo piece.

Also, the Ba'ku are just Swedish.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

DFu4ever posted:

I won't even bring up Kirk's death. poo poo, I just did. God, I hate Generations.

The problem I always had with Kirk's death was how laughably offhanded, indirect and throwaway it all was. I literally said "wait, he's dead?!" when all was said and done. I wasn't expecting a giant, epic, massive sendoff to Kirk or anything but if they were going to write in a speech or eulogy that Picard had time to give to Kirk you'd think they would put more weight behind it.

What a terrible film.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Apollodorus posted:

Yep, Frakes seems so astonishingly down to earth and grateful for everyone involved. Everyone should watch this shitpile again with this commentary.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DFu4ever posted:

How could the writers have looked at the destruction of the D in Generations, then looked back at how awesome the destruction of the original was handled in 3, and not thrown their script into the nearest fire?

The crashing of the saucer was amazing and I'll hear no words to the contrary.

The battle itself was so lame because ILM had no money whatsoever to spend outside of the crash. The film was budgeted at $35 million, only $5 million more than The Undiscovered Country, yet they had to afford the entire cast of TNG (all of whom were making pretty nice money after seven years on the show) plus the paychecks for Shatner, Koenig and Doohan (it was a studio mandate that the movie "bridge the gap" between the generations). Plus the location shooting and the rushed schedule -- the TNG cast started shooting the movie something like a week after they wrapped on All Good Things... in April, when the movie had to make its November release date -- something had to give in the budget, and it wound up being the script. It didn't help that Moore and Braga were outright exhausted after working on TNG for years, and then after writing such an amazing series finale they then had to find a way to unite Kirk and Picard. :suicide:

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
What you think happened:

What really happened:

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

thrawn527 posted:

The villain is Spock's half brother, whom he've never heard of before.
He has the power to "take away your pain". Somehow. Don't ask how, we won't be getting into it. He's just a really special half-Vulcan/half-human, with one very specific non-explained super power.
The secondary villain is an incredibly boring Klingon. Who wants to kill Kirk. Because that's what Klingons do. But don't worry, he'll never be seen as an actual threat.
Rocket boots.
Row Row Row Your Boat.
Uhura fan dance.
"Hold onto your horse."
A barrier into the center of the galaxy. That no one can go into. Or they'll die. Which they go through. In literally two seconds. With no damage to anything. The lights don't even flicker. Why did they think they couldn't go in there? Has the federation never even sent a probe into there? Did they just stay away because it had scary looking purple clouds?
Finale where they meet God. Who isn't God. And, after being asked to "show yourself", shows up looking exactly like our villain. Which freaks the villain out.
They shoot it with torpedoes. It's fine. They shoot it with one laser blast. It's dead.
And finish is all out with a reprise of Row Row Row Your Boat.

I'll give it that it has some good interactions. I especially love, "Don't you know a jail break when you see one?!" and the famous, "What does God need with a starship." And it does into some interesting themes. But the aforementioned bad far outweighs the good. At least First Contact was entertaining, and brought back the main enemies of TNG.

Your pain is great. Share it with me and gain strength for the sharing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Farecoal posted:

I think you forgot Voyage Home. If you didn't forget it then you're quite wrong

Voyage Home felt like -and was- a bad Back to the Future ripoff. It was also horribly jarring going from Wrath of Khan to that to Undiscovered Country.

I'm actually struggling to remember any moments that would seem interesting to someone who hadn't first seen it when they were 8 years old.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Voyage Home is schlocky junk food cinema but it's supported and carried almost entirely by the novelty of the TOS actors pretending to be their characters in then-contemporary San Fransisco. The fact that they didn't revisit that well in any other movie helps strengthen it as there's no other film in the series quite like it. It's definitely a case of tonal whiplash after II and III, but it holds up on its own unless you go in expecting II and III.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

computer parts posted:

Voyage Home felt like -and was- a bad Back to the Future ripoff. It was also horribly jarring going from Wrath of Khan to that to Undiscovered Country.

I'm actually struggling to remember any moments that would seem interesting to someone who hadn't first seen it when they were 8 years old.

It's well directed, still humorous, paced well, and has good performances from the cast. Why wouldn't you like it?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Aatrek posted:

What you think happened:

What really happened:

Practical model effects :allears:

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

computer parts posted:

And yet in my experience The Voyage Home seems to be, by far, the most popular of the Star Trek films with people who aren't into Star Trek. It's 'the whale one' and even non-nerds can quote some of the memorable moments from it.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

FrensaGeran posted:

So if I'm parsing this correctly, non-trekkers won't care, and trekkers won't care. So no one cares. Except...this guy.

I dunno, looks like people are caring to me.

Acid Jerk
Nov 7, 2009

Monkeyseesaw posted:

and to think Nicholas Meyer was almost going to direct Nemesis.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Darko posted:

It's well directed, still humorous, paced well, and has good performances from the cast. Why wouldn't you like it?

The entire premise seems a bit silly, even for space pulp. It has an environmental theme which seems horribly dated today, and really a lot of it seemed to just bring the typical Trek status quo back instead of what Khan had given us.

Plus like I said, I didn't see it until about a year or so ago and I had seen it (mostly) before seeing TOS itself.

e:

DFu4ever posted:

And yet in my experience The Voyage Home seems to be, by far, the most popular of the Star Trek films with people who aren't into Star Trek. It's 'the whale one' and even non-nerds can quote some of the memorable moments from it.

That might be true in the 80's/90's but now I doubt you'd get the same reaction. It's a new ball game.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 14, 2012

Acid Jerk
Nov 7, 2009
Rather then zooming around the sun, they should have just done what the Borg did in First Contact "time travel made easy"

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Zoe posted:

People on Bing.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
So the trailer is 9 minutes at certain places? :psyduck:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Acid Jerk posted:

and to think Nicholas Meyer was almost going to direct Nemesis.

Not quite "almost." Berman went to him and asked if he'd be willing to direct; Meyer said that he'd love to consider it, but the script needed a major rewrite. Berman had already told Logan that he wouldn't be rewritten, so Meyer walked away.

Similar thing happened on Generations. Once the script called for Kirk, Spock and McCoy on the Enterprise-B, Berman approached Nimoy about starring and directing. Nimoy took a look at the script and said he would need to have significant changes made to it, and Berman told him that he'd be directing the script as written, so Nimoy walked. Honestly, that was probably for the better; Generations' problems were with its script, but David Carson and John Alonzo did their best to make that movie look great.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Since we're just arguing about Trek movies, I'll weigh in with V being the worst of the TOS movies. Frankly, I thought TMP was brilliantly crafted despite its slow pacing and 2001-wannabe story and III was underrated as well. I thought V was still watchable and held together by the Kirk-Spock-Bones chemistry, and if someone plans to watch the other five TOS films, they might as well watch V anyway.

Although general opinion of First Contact has gotten a bit worse over the years, it's still the only good TNG movie and is still a pretty fun sci-fi action/adventure. Generations is just as lovely as V, but it would have been "forgivably" bad like V if all the other TNG movies were good... which they weren't. Insurrection was an awful movie that professed the awful politics of the time (much worse than being an "average two-parter" that some defenders claim it is). Nemesis in unredeemable in almost every way, particularly how it's the sendoff for the TNG crew.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 14, 2012

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Aatrek posted:

What really happened:

For a second, I thought there was a person running under the saucer.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Zoe posted:

I guess I should replace "not care" with "not so up in arms about it they'll write a lengthy article about how angry they are about not knowing a certain thing about a film that's half a year away". Except that guy.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

PaganGoatPants posted:

So the trailer is 9 minutes at certain places? :psyduck:

No, 9 minutes are being shown before some screenings of The Hobbit (which is the only reason I'm going to see that movie tomorrow).

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

For a second, I thought there was a person running under the saucer.

So did I on the first couple of passes. I'm guessing it's motorized unicycle or motorcycle, or it's on a concealed track.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Young Freud posted:

So did I on the first couple of passes. I'm guessing it's motorized unicycle or motorcycle, or it's on a concealed track.

Pretty sure that's the saucer off the six-footer model, so it's only a couple feet across. It'd be on a track.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

A 12-foot saucer was built for the crash.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Dammit, this IMAX doesn't have the Trek preview. Le sigh.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aatrek posted:

Dammit, this IMAX doesn't have the Trek preview. Le sigh.

That sucks. May as well go home then?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
List of theaters showing it is here: http://www.startrekmovie.com/imax/

Early word is that it's a great sequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Practical model effects :allears:

I always loved those shots, really well done in my opinion

• Locked thread