Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
As requested, Lapierre going super sayan:

:ssj:

Edit: "Wih gun" :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Spacedad posted:

As requested, Lapierre going super sayan:

:ssj:

Edit: "Wih gun" :laugh:

bless you

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
I remember seeing a Good Guy with a gun once.

It didn't end well!

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

More Lapierre dissection, because he's the gift that just keeps on giving:

Lapoop posted:

A gun in the hands of a soldier protecting the United States isn't a bad word.

I am guessing our friend Lapierre still thinks Iraq totally had those WMDs.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Spacedad posted:

More Lapierre dissection, because he's the gift that just keeps on giving:

I am guessing our friend Lapierre still thinks Iraq totally had those WMDs.

Please tell me he is using "soldier protecting the United States" to refer to school security guards.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Watched too many Clint Eastwood movies, can't think in terms outside of westerns.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

This brings up some more dissection of Lapierre's bullshit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci7cUaJ80gs

I didn't even know this - but there actually WAS an ARMED SECURITY GUARD AT COLUMBINE. He actually got into a shootout with the two shooters too.

...And of course, yes to a registry for people with mental illness, but NO to a registry for gun owners. :allears:

I agree wholeheartedly with the comparison between this guy and David Duke.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Spacedad posted:

This brings up some more dissection of Lapierre's bullshit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci7cUaJ80gs

I didn't even know this - but there actually WAS an ARMED SECURITY GUARD AT COLUMBINE. He actually got into a shootout with the two shooters too.

Does anyone know if this was in Dave Cullens book? I do not remember reading about it, and it seems a pretty major event to just gloss over.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

B: As I said earlier, I would love to know how these small government conservatives would pay for the massive increase in spending that arming, training, and supplying 7.2 million teachers would cost.

The same way as usual, tax breaks for the rich to increase revenue.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

Does anyone know if this was in Dave Cullens book? I do not remember reading about it, and it seems a pretty major event to just gloss over.

Yeah, it was in the book. He was/is a cop and was assigned there. He briefly exchanged fire with Eric Harris but they both missed each other.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

folgore posted:

Yeah, it was in the book. He was/is a cop and was assigned there. He briefly exchanged fire with Eric Harris but they both missed each other.

Wow I totally forgot about that part. Great book though.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Do you think we can interpret this "press conference" to mean that the NRA's #1 lobbyist has been in all the major Republicans' offices trying to get them to say this poo poo for the last week? And that they all essentially told him "If you think that poo poo will fly, you go on TV and say it, we'll agree with you if everyone else does."

On a totally different note, I just realized Marilyn Manson and Eminem must be pretty offended that they got omitted from the copy/paste list of Columbine causes in the speech.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

wixard posted:

On a totally different note, I just realized Marilyn Manson and Eminem must be pretty offended that they got omitted from the copy/paste list of Columbine causes in the speech.

Marilyn Manson 1999 - "It is disgusting to associate my music with these heinous acts. I am offended as an artist and supporter of free speech"

Marilyn Manson 2012 - "Oh god yes blame me, I need to be relevant. I totally wrote 'shoot kids' backwards into my latest album I swear to god."

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

wixard posted:

Do you think we can interpret this "press conference" to mean that the NRA's #1 lobbyist has been in all the major Republicans' offices trying to get them to say this poo poo for the last week? And that they all essentially told him "If you think that poo poo will fly, you go on TV and say it, we'll agree with you if everyone else does."

That's a good point; apart from how poorly their candidates did in the election, there's no truer sign of how irrelevant the NRA is starting to become than how silent Republicans have been in regards to gun control in the wake of the most recent shootings. They might as well have argued for arming each individual student while they were at it today.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 22, 2012

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

A gun is in the hand of a secret serviceman to protect the president from the lone nut we sold a gun to.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Lord Lambeth posted:

Well there was that one mission in the airport

But you play as a dirty Communist, it's obviously a cautionary tale.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Away from guns for a moment, let's check in and see how our pals at News Corporation are doing:

New York Business Journal posted:

News Corp. said the publishing business that it plans to spin off next year had a $2.08 billion loss in its fiscal 2012, due to a decline in ad sales and the costs of its U.K. phone hacking scandal.

The division posted a profit of $678 million in 2011, News Corp. said in a filing Friday with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission to separate its publishing and entertainment businesses into two publicly traded companies.

The Rupert Murdoch-controlled company took a $224 million charge due to legal fees associated with the U.K. scandal and a $151 million restructuring charge, mostly from the closure of News of the World, the U.K. newspaper at the heart of the phone hacking scandal, reported Bloomberg News.

There are also still phone hacking-related trials looming for News Corp., so there may yet be further untold fallout (both legal and financial) still to come.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Phone posted:

Watched too many Clint Eastwood movies, can't think in terms outside of westerns.

Poor guy is brainwashed by violent media :ohdear:.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

At the very least they could watch the later Eastwood films, which are very anti-violence in their message.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

I can't believe I didn't notice that.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Spacedad posted:

And even then it still ends with a school shooting

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Spacedad posted:

Suddenly I am very behind the whole idea. But only if all the guards have a heavy Austrian accent.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Maddow said the NRA just Rickrolled everyone today. :laugh:

E: And now O'Donnell's delivering a very damning indictment of LaPierre and the NRA, pointing out how LaPierre hasn't called for armed guards in other shooting sites where kids were killed, like movie theaters or supermarket parking lots.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 22, 2012

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

A friend was wondering what is the source of the the narrative that you need your guns to protect yourself because society is teetering on the brink of disaster. A few days ago on the Diane Rehm show there was a series of callers which basically followed that logic and they were so near each other that it really seemed that they were too similar to not be all hearing the same set talking points. I figure it is just the standard AM radio suspects and echo chamber websites. Does that sound right?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

A friend was wondering what is the source of the the narrative that you need your guns to protect yourself because society is teetering on the brink of disaster. A few days ago on the Diane Rehm show there was a series of callers which basically followed that logic and they were so near each other that it really seemed that they were too similar to not be all hearing the same set talking points. I figure it is just the standard AM radio suspects and echo chamber websites. Does that sound right?

I think at least part of it is projected guilt from white Christians who've destroyed so many societies, communities, and cultures over the years that they are terrified the same thing they did is going to happen to them. For example, you will hear paranoia about blacks becoming the new slave owners of whites among these cretins - in fact, that came up a lot during Obama's two elections and first term. They really do presume everyone else is exactly as lovely as they are. (Which is a dunderheaded type of thinking that is a holdover from the game theory nonsense of the cold war.)

It's really just a fear-mongering racket to get more suckers to spend money on guns (thereby increasing the cancer-like bloat and power of the gun lobby and everyone they buy off) and vote how the gun-hugging pundit tells you to vote.

In terms of bald-faced lying to the public, not much different from the tobacco industry and this:

Or the medical insurance industry and this pack of lies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRdLpem-AAs

Incidentally - Ronald Reagan, after being a victim of an attempted assassination, was in favor of the assault weapons ban.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 22, 2012

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Not only does it still exist, the same episode gets shown twice in a three-hour span (once live at 5 PM, then a re-run of the 5PM edition at 7 PM), for those who just can't get their fill of Chris Matthews yelling at someone. :v:
It was a guest host, not Matthews, amazingly. Crooks and Liars has a video clip of the utterly surreal interview.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

It was a guest host, not Matthews, amazingly. Crooks and Liars has a video clip of the utterly surreal interview.

Oh yeah, I saw it earlier during the 7PM repeat. I was more referring to Chris Matthews yelling at people in general. :v:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

Oh no, FEMA soldiers!

Yeah I was loving to death that little high quality production montage of things every conspiracy nut talks about happening. loving FEMA riot police? When did these nutjobs start their whole FEMA death camps spiel? Was it something Alex Jones started, or did he just pick it up from somebody else and bring it to prominence? I don't think I've ever seen anything about FEMA from back in the mid/late 90s when militias were in vogue.

While we're on the subject of nutjob conspiracy theorists and poo poo, can anybody suggest a good book about them? Maybe in the vein of Jon Ronson.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 22, 2012

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sir Tonk posted:

But you play as a dirty Communist, it's obviously a cautionary tale.

Nah, you play as a patriotic American soldier CIA agent doing whatever it takes to stick it to the terrorist bastards. :patriot:

That mission is totally ok though because they're Russians, and we all know all Russians are secret Communists so you're doing a favor by killing them. :suicide:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Crasscrab posted:

Yeah I was loving to death that little high quality production montage of things every conspiracy nut talks about happening. loving FEMA riot police? When did these nutjobs start their whole FEMA death camps spiel? Was it something Alex Jones started, or did he just pick it up from somebody else and bring it to prominence? I don't think I've ever seen anything about FEMA from back in the mid/late 90s when militias were in vogue.

While we're on the subject of nutjob conspiracy theorists and poo poo, can anybody suggest a good book about them? Maybe in the vein of Jon Ronson.

They're all major fans of Deus Ex, obviously.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The whole FEMA DEATH CAMPS thing actually goes back to Oliver North.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Oh that Ollie! :allears:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

What I love about FEMA death camps is the idea that an organization that was the poster child for government incompetence six years ago is now all of a sudden the embodiment of the all-powerful government a single presidency later.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pope Guilty posted:

The whole FEMA DEATH CAMPS thing actually goes back to Oliver North.

Well in fairness if anyone knows about vast government conspiracies that involve treason...

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Glitterbomber posted:

Well in fairness if anyone knows about vast government conspiracies that involve treason...

I don't think its treason when the president orders you to do it :smug:

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

What I love about FEMA death camps is the idea that an organization that was the poster child for government incompetence six years ago is now all of a sudden the embodiment of the all-powerful government a single presidency later.

That ignores the entire Clinton administration and the Pre-Katrina era Bush for conspiracy. Besides, killing Americans is what FEMA does best according to the conspiracies.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

Marilyn Manson 1999 - "It is disgusting to associate my music with these heinous acts. I am offended as an artist and supporter of free speech"

Marilyn Manson 2012 - "Oh god yes blame me, I need to be relevant. I totally wrote 'shoot kids' backwards into my latest album I swear to god."

We used to have politicians speak out against misogyny and violence in rap music, now we have rappers speaking out against violence and misogyny in politics.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Oh, I really need to wander into D&D more often.

It seems as though a good 90% of the people I work with listen to and believe all the right wing media. All day long I get to listen to them talk about whatever talking points were on FOX News, Rush Limbaugh, The Drudge Report, and Alex Jones. The scary thing is they all believe it.

On Tuesday they all decided that they had to go buy guns before Obama could talk them away. Come Wednesday they were all talking about the guns they bought (or at least applied for thanks to the waiting period), all handguns, you know nothing that would be banned under an assault weapons ban. Yesterday they decided that they needed to go to the gun store for lunch.

I also had someone attempt to goad me into commenting on the state of the modern government by talking about how the Mayans fell because taxes were too high. Same guy was talking rather excitedly about how thanks to the Planned Parenthood abortion factory, that the percentage of black people in the US would be down to the single digit (prefaced by "I'm not a racist, but...)

This is all a giant change for me. The guy I used to work with was a registered Republican. Last time I talked to him was about two weeks before the election and even he had enough sense to know that Romney was a lovely candidate that he wouldn't be voting for. We used to listen to Coast 2 Coast together and laugh about the craziness of Alex Jones (after one Alex Jones rant about "Black Ops Physics" we picked that phrase up as our dogwhistle that someone was nuts, same with "puppy dogs, rainbows, and unicorns" when one was being a giant hippie).

Back to the current situation, there used to be a guy who was pretty reasonable, but he got a new job and was out of there with minimal words, and I can't say as I can blame him. They would literally gang up on him all day long about being a liberal. As for me, I can't quit until after I've been there a year, so I just keep my head down and stay out of it. We're supposed to get a new building in February, so I'm hoping I can just sit in a corner somewhere away from them.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Crasscrab posted:

This is from the wrong side of the looking glass, but for all your conspiracy theory needs, Jim Marrs' Rule by Secrecy. I'm sure his other works follow the same kitchen sink template, but I've never read them. In fact I barely remember this book; thankfully it's been quite some time since I whiled away the hours listening to Art Bell. I'll defer to Publishers Weekly:

they posted:

In this unconvincing potboiler, Marrs, who charged that conspiracies were behind the JFK assassination (Crossfire) and government cover-ups of the UFO phenomenon (Alien Agenda), now offers a sweeping view of world history through the warped prism of conspiracy theory. The world's richest and most powerful individuals, he opines, wield excessive influence over governments and news media through their control of multinational corporations and organizations he refers to as "secret societies," such as the Council on Foreign Relations, the international Trilateral Commission and the Bilderberg group (which holds annual closed-door conferences around the globe). The aim of these "secret societies," suggests Marrs, is one-world government and centralized social control, and in this respect, he adds, all these groups and their offshoots carry the imprint of older secret brotherhoods, including Freemasonry and the Illuminati. Conspiracy buffs will have a field day wading through this morass, but other readers will remain unpersuaded by a tract that proceeds by way of innuendo, quotation of other conspiracy researchers' extremist opinions and unsubstantiated statement. Marrs squeezes into his procrustean framework the origins of WWI and WWII, Nazis' occult dabblings, the Russian Revolution, the Morgan and Rothschild banking dynasties and the Knights Templar, and he uncritically entertains a host of maverick theories. His conspiracy trail winds up back in Mesopotamia, as he plies territory mined by Zecharia Sitchin, who believes that extraterrestrials founded the earth's earliest civilizations. Ultimately, this mishmash lacks the semblance of plausibility that helped make Alien Agenda a bestseller.

Seems legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

They were also supposed to be the vanguard of tyranny back in the 1990's. I remember breathless accounts of their supposed "emergency powers" and their secret evil factories, "The X Files" often used a FEMA stand-in as the goons of the evil conspiracy. A lot of the shine got taken off of that turd post-Katrina.