Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

my stepdads beer posted:

so with all the erlang chat are there any open source pbx/telephone things actually written in erlang that are good?

I found this bad boy, yxa, but it appears no one actually uses it or it's very unpopular

Only one I know of is whistle, but it's more of a polyglot thing with some essential pieces of their stack built in Erlang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevergirls
Jul 4, 2004

It's not right living this way, not letting others know what's true and what's false.

fidel sarcastro posted:

what's so bad about it? seems like a reasonable way to cut down on code when you're using it for something obvious (not condoning dumb obfuscated perl, here)

For all of the boring things it does, you already have operators for that make your intent clear; for all of the cool things it does, you can write it as the equivalent grep to make your intent clear.

http://blogs.perl.org/users/brian_d_foy/2011/07/rethinking-smart-matching.html

Also, you can't tell what
code:
$x ~~ $y
does without knowing whether one or the other is a plain scalar, a reference to a hash/array/sub, or a blessed reference. At least perl6 gives you a fighting chance because no references

Even given/when only sort of works and is still marked as experimental in the docs three major releases on:

http://perldoc.perl.org/perlsyn.html#Experimental-Details-on-given-and-when

Nevergirls
Jul 4, 2004

It's not right living this way, not letting others know what's true and what's false.
obviously contrived example:

Perl code:
['a', 'b', 'aa', 'bb', 'ab', 'ba'] ~~ [qr/\w/, { a => 1, b => 2, c => 3 }, sub { $_[0] < 10 }, qr/b+/, 0, 'ba']
This evals to true (with two warnings)

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
Things that are different should look different.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I had a CGI class taught by that guy. He's pretty :coal:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Malcolm XML posted:

is there a good lens tutorial out there?

have you read https://github.com/ekmett/lens/wiki/Overview?

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Malcolm XML posted:

is there a good lens tutorial out there?

none that i found unfortunately aside from what AlsoD linked, but you can ask in #haskell-lens

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

i just wrote a euler solution in haskell, even if the problem was simple. i still know fuckall about the language though, might try to spend some time with it this weekend because doing too much rails is gonna break my brain (having to do frontend on my own for personal projects is getting on my nerves)

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
any f# people have a favourite guide?

too funktional in here

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
i should learn haskell after lazily abandoning erlang in a few months

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

if you're lazy then haskell will be great for you :haw:

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

yaoi prophet posted:

if you're lazy then haskell will be great for you :haw:

:razz:

i'm actually getting a growing list of ~super-concurrent~ things to build, statistically at least one of them will be finished

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

gucci void main posted:

because the people who use it know even less

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Jerry SanDisky posted:

i should learn haskell after lazily abandoning erlang in a few months

Learn golang

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

vapid cutlery posted:

Learn golang

golang seems neat and I was thinking about loving around with it a bit this weekend, but I don't know what I'd do

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

gucci void main posted:

golang seems neat and I was thinking about loving around with it a bit this weekend, but I don't know what I'd do

Do what I always do and write a solver or AI for a game and abandon it halfway through

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
I want to try its concurrency stuff still

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

vapid cutlery posted:

Learn golang

is it actually really novel? its another language that i know nothing about

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Jerry SanDisky posted:

I thought so. It's sort of a combination of C and python

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
it's nothing novel like erlang or anything but it does seem to be a worthwhile language though not used much outside of google/app engine yet

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

vapid cutlery posted:

I thought so. It's sort of a combination of C and python

this is the only way I could ever really describe it

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
One of the things I like about google go is that formatting is enforced by the compiler and it includes a code formatter

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
i really love the idea of using its goroutines and channels for something fun

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

tef posted:

Things that are different should look different.

420 overload operators every day

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Jerry SanDisky posted:

kinda, and not

it's c like in syntax, except for the type declarations, and the basic types, and semantic newlines.

it is python like, except for the object model, garbage collection, duck typing and module system.

go is really like writing in c, except with lightweight threads and pipes as the main concurrency primitive, in the style of limbo, alef and plan9 c.

with an object system tacked on. but there isn't really any exception handling, or metaprogramming.

they've added a module system, and a type system that's very forgiving. you can use ad-hoc interface types, and a class doesn't explicitly have to implement them to match it (just function signatures).

the novelty is more in the combination of features rather than the features themselves.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

tef posted:

kinda, and not

it's c like in syntax, except for the type declarations, and the basic types, and semantic newlines.

it is python like, except for the object model, garbage collection, duck typing and module system.

go is really like writing in c, except with lightweight threads and pipes as the main concurrency primitive, in the style of limbo, alef and plan9 c.

with an object system tacked on. but there isn't really any exception handling, or metaprogramming.

they've added a module system, and a type system that's very forgiving. you can use ad-hoc interface types, and a class doesn't explicitly have to implement them to match it (just function signatures).

the novelty is more in the combination of features rather than the features themselves.

I thought go was garbage collected

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
go has a tracing gc, python uses ref counting :v:

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

tef posted:

go has a tracing gc, python uses ref counting :v:

Ah cool

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

tef posted:

go is really like writing in c, except with lightweight threads and pipes as the main concurrency primitive

ah just what i wanted more preemptive multitasking to gently caress my poo poo up

why don't they have a language that enforces the share-nothing worker thread model

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

go is boring and a dead end imo. it's made too many concessions to convenience to ever be useful as a systems language and it pretends too hard it's a systems language to ever replace something like python or ruby

everyone should check out rust tho, it's making a serious run at being what go is pretending to be

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

the talent deficit posted:

go is boring and a dead end imo. it's made too many concessions to convenience to ever be useful as a systems language and it pretends too hard it's a systems language to ever replace something like python or ruby

everyone should check out rust tho, it's making a serious run at being what go is pretending to be

rust's cool, it's memory model is a step forward but the syntax is garbage

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

loving die

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Malcolm XML posted:

rust's cool, it's memory model is a step forward but the syntax is garbage

rust's syntax is about the least intuitive thing I've seen

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

my stepdads beer posted:

rust's syntax is about the least intuitive thing I've seen

the frontpage looks like ruby with more { }

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Suspicious Dish posted:

ah just what i wanted more preemptive multitasking to gently caress my poo poo up

why don't they have a language that enforces the share-nothing worker thread model

erlang

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

lol

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007

does erlang deal with immutable data not needing to be copied?

krisis
Oct 25, 2003

i have a light case of asparagus.
the features of go are pretty boring but they combine in a way that make a very nice language to use

one of my favorite features of go that noone mentions is that they fixed C arithmetic and got rid of the guessing game of which combination of extensions and truncations a particular expression would go through on its way to a result.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol at the idea of using a fad lang like go, let alone one developed by goog.

immaturity AND a guarantee of quick abandonment??? sign me up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

neither rust nor golang can be used to create c libraries, ergo neither one will ever be a serious contender as a systems programming language

it's ok not to be useful for systems programming, but you gotta bring something else to the table. scripting languages brought, well, scripting -- no compile step, trivial/stupid deployment. java and .net brought huge, useful libraries and powerful type safety.

what the gently caress do rust and golang bring?