Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J Bloo
Mar 20, 2009
So I've got back into Lego after winning a Hagrid's Hut in a raffle recently. I was hoping to start growing a collection of Harry Potter lego, but am I right in thinking most of it is discontinued or hard to find? If so I'm tempted by the Lord of the Rings series, particularly Helms Deep.

Is there a list anywhere that would show me what's discontinued now/soon or still generally available? For example I saw some series 6 minifigures in a shop today at £2 each, and had no idea if they were the current ones!

I'm not particularly into speculating (I didn't even know it was a thing until reading the thread!), I'd just hate to start a collection and find a set I really liked was reasonably available any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Just built the little bi-rotor Creator helicopter. The rest of 2013 looks just as good for Creator :)

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

J Bloo posted:

So I've got back into Lego after winning a Hagrid's Hut in a raffle recently. I was hoping to start growing a collection of Harry Potter lego, but am I right in thinking most of it is discontinued or hard to find? If so I'm tempted by the Lord of the Rings series, particularly Helms Deep.

Harry Potter is almost entirely discontinued now; http://shop.lego.com has two sets, one as 'retiring soon'. Luckily, Harry Potter doesn't seem to be in heavy demand and doesn't seem to go for much beyond retail used and complete. As a bonus, a lot of parents selling their kids' Lego these days tends to have a fair amount of HP mixed in.

quote:

Is there a list anywhere that would show me what's discontinued now/soon or still generally available? For example I saw some series 6 minifigures in a shop today at £2 each, and had no idea if they were the current ones!

http://shop.lego.com has filters for 'Retiring soon' and if it's not listed there, it's discontinued. Generally, if a set was introduced 2 years ago, it's out of production.
Minifigures usually last about 6 months, but they've been produced in huge numbers for the last several series. I haven't seen anything older than S7 on the shelves, but my local Fred Meyer still has like 11 largely-unmolested boxes of S7 on the shelf (which is probably why I haven't seen any S9 there yet).

Luminaflare posted:

Also I can see somewhere in each of those where he's cut bricks for the connection to work.

He's cut a harpoon gun in the first one and stuck it in to a set of binoculars to make the antenna and in the second the brick he's using for the main cannon has had the end cut off of it so he can slot all those technic pieces on to it.

Good catch; I didn't even notice that! Strange that he did it...the antenna thing could have avoided a cut by using a minifig screwdriver and it would hardly look different. The gun design would have required changing, though, since I don't think there are any 1-wide curved bricks with a stud or hole on the side like that.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

J Bloo posted:

I'm not particularly into speculating (I didn't even know it was a thing until reading the thread!), I'd just hate to start a collection and find a set I really liked was reasonably available any more.

There's a lot of discontinued Harry Potter LEGO, as the license has been around for quite a few years now. Unfortunately one of the very best HP sets, Diagon Alley, JUST went away and is already starting to go through the eBay price creep. LEGO hasn't announced any new sets for that license in 2013, so grab what you can.

All LOTR is still available though.

Series 6 minifigs? Wow. The current set is 9, so that's kind of amazing. Buy em up. In terms of a list of what's still around, I just tend to google things.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

:siren: Build-off Ended!:siren:
Allright, so the first round of the build off was a great succes, We got lots of participation and all kinds of racing vehicles and creatures! Santa and the holiday/christmas theme got completeley ignored wich made sense, since christmas was already dead and gone by the time we started!.

:siren: THe MOCs!:siren:

These are all the models that got made for this build-off, I axed some of the images to make sure that this post doesn't become super huge.

Pyroclastic posted:

imgur's being stupid and I don't feel like setting up a minus account, so I'll post from flickr. Click for more shots.

Racing Pinnace
All fuel and engine; without gravity and air to worry about, space racers can be pretty bare-bones!
Our intrepid pilot is laying down on top of the stack of fuel and engine so she doesn't black out. In the Unlimited Class, you can do whatever you want with your ship, balancing between mass, acceleration, and endurance.

MaliciousOnion posted:

:siren:LEGOONS Build-off Entry:siren:

This is my first ever MOC. It's based on the Bugatti 39A:

Guzwar posted:

Anyway, here's a space racer!

AzMiLion posted:

:siren:Bi-Weekly build MOC:siren:
So I made a bunch of racecars in hotwheels style but I needed a backdrop for them. So I made this!

Week 52 - Futura Racetrack by AzMiLion, on Flickr

djfooboo posted:

I made a lovely thing trying to learn this program, enjoy.

Luminaflare posted:

Mine just finished rendering, it's a racing sub.

3 posted:

Basically someone put legs on a Formula One chassis and said "this is a good idea!"

Guzwar posted:

This is what happens when you spend the day listening to the F-Zero soundtrack: an Ice Planet-inspired colour scheme (no driver, the robots have entered the race) and Alien Conquest aliens who suddenly have a desire for a hawg.

I made sure that it spins all the way around, though I don't know what the best way to hold it would be if it were built.
Also, I may have been itching to watch Redline again, hence the giant engine in a dangerous position on a small ship.

Sockser posted:

Babby's first MOC :3:

rickiep00h posted:

I think this barely qualifies as a "racer", but I couldn't think of anything more dangerously, irresponsibly fast as a dinosaur strapped to a rocket.

MaliciousOnion posted:

Just whipped this up, trying to use as few elements as possible. Managed to get away with 14.

Fledgling Gulps posted:

I hadn't built anything in a long while so I went hog wild on this racing theme.

RodShaft posted:

SPACE DUNE BUGGY!

And it transforms for swooshability!

Like any real racer its awkward to get into it or out of it!

:siren: Goon bi-Weekly Build off 2: the AFOL Strikes back:siren:
The bi-weekly LEGOONS Build-off is a way to keep developing your skill with LEGO in whatever form you work with it, whether it’s real bricks, LDD, MLDCAD or some other way. Every two weeks there will be a theme posted in which you can participate and build MOCs fitting to that theme.

How do I participate?
Simple, state in a post that you are participating in one of the themes and post progress shots or a finished MOC once you are done.

Theme voting
At the start of each build-off I’ll be posting the current theme(s) and a list of options for the next themes, if you prefer a theme you can cast a vote for the next theme!

Is it a :toxx:
No, toxxes are unfun.

Themes for these two weeks!
-Wild Wild West!
-Mecha

:siren:Deadline:siren:
The deadline for this build-off is January 27th!
The deadline for voting is January 26th (i need to prepare a new list of themes and do a vote count and stuff)

Next period theme possibilities

-Planes
-Steampunk
-Space
-Movie pieces, things from movies that are recognizable!
-Architecture!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
My fiance just discovered the Death Star awesome set and now has tasked me to find it. Ugh. If only she could have asked like 6 months ago, the drat thing seems to be shooting up in price each day.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Are you outside the US? Because it's definitely still in regular circulation on LEGO@Home. Not sure why the price on Amazon spiked to $468. It's been around $370 until now.

EDIT: There's also a guy on Amazon selling one new for $379 with $20 shipping, so that's still definitely an option, AND cheaper than Lego's price.

ireladd fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 14, 2013

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
I didn't except the UCS Imperial Shuttle to be disappearing like it is. I thought for sure there would be enough for them to go on sale again. Anyone know of anywhere still selling them? or long shot anyone here who bought extras.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Knormal posted:

Whoever did that Great Pyramid did the worst job on the easiest building.

Seriously dude? You're going to enter that in a competition? And I don't remember the Great Pyramid having giant crystals of gold growing out of the top.

There's speculation that the tips were plated, maybe that was his half-assed way of doing so.

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010

Captain Duvel posted:

I didn't except the UCS Imperial Shuttle to be disappearing like it is. I thought for sure there would be enough for them to go on sale again. Anyone know of anywhere still selling them? or long shot anyone here who bought extras.

I know, I thought they were going to stop selling them around May 4th's sale. They also stopped production of them completely so your best chance would probably going to a local Lego store. Walmart, Target, Amazon, Lego and others are all sold out and won't be restocked(probably) unless you want to pay 350 for it on Amazon. Or you can buy some on Ebay for 300+Shipping. Price is probably only going to keep going up too. Thank goodness I bought one for myself back when it was only 209.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Just in case you guys were feeling OK about your mech building abilities, I found this bad boy a couple hours ago and still haven't been able to pick my jaw off the floor.

Atlas by zane_houston, on Flickr

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Fayez Butts posted:

Just in case you guys were feeling OK about your mech building abilities, I found this bad boy a couple hours ago and still haven't been able to pick my jaw off the floor.

Atlas by zane_houston, on Flickr

I'm not a Mech person but this is flawless.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Wal-Mart's finally getting around to stocking new sets and seems to be quietly clearancing some more sets. Got Weathertop for $40 and saw the Quinjet and the X-Wing for 33% off. They had a bunch of Goblin Kings in the clearance section, but they were $99 so I assume they just ran out of room in the normal Lego section.

Weathertop's such a dense build, but it's pretty neat. I've tolerated flick missiles until now, but I died a little bit when the final step added two of them to this. I'm not a huge LotR fan, but it came with a bunch of hinge pieces and most of the cool things about Lord of the Rings: two Ringwraiths (with new horses!), three One Rings, and Aragorn. I know "Weathertop owns bones" is conventional wisdom in this thread, but I definitely agree with what other people were saying a year ago: it feels like a $40 or $50 set, not a $60 one.

One thing I never realized about Lord of the Rings Lego is that almost everybody is wearing a cape. There were four capes for five minifigs in this set!

Edit: holy gently caress that mech two posts up :stare:

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
That mech is insane, I like the use of the technic turn tables for the joints. The liner actuators for the legs is nice as well.If instructions were available I would be bricklinking and building it.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Fayez Butts posted:

Amazing. I love how the thrusters light up.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

AllisonByProxy posted:

I will check what I have when I get home.

Where you able to find those few bricks I was looking for? If not I will just put in a order with Lego at their pick a brick or just order them off of brick link, if I can find a store that has no minimum purchase.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The thing I find craziest about Atlas there is that there's a total of like, less than 20 exposed studs. That's some serious craftsmanship.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Sockser posted:

The thing I find craziest about Atlas there is that there's a total of like, less than 20 exposed studs. That's some serious craftsmanship.

Somewhere between 52-56 by my count, but I'm glad he didn't cover up the 2x2 grouping on each disc he used.

A thing happened today. I've been moving into a new apartment and today a completely disassembled Tower Bridge came with me in a twice the size of a shoebox sized tub with a lid. As I was walking up to the door I shifted to holding the tub with one hand to retrieve my keys. And it was as I jingled them about to get the correct key to the keyhole that I heard the pop of the lid and the horrific sound of well over a thousand plastic pieces crashing to the ground, then bouncing, then scattering. I abandoned the rest of today's moving procedures to hunt them all down, carry them inside and then lay a sheet out in the living room to sort and count out each and every last piece to very I still had a complete set. (While watching Looper, War Horse, American Reunion, and 50/50)

4286 of 4287 pieces later, I was cursing an elusive 1x1 tan plate.

The plus side is that set is now INCREDIBLY well-sorted and bagged.

ireladd fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 14, 2013

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Rythe posted:

Where you able to find those few bricks I was looking for? If not I will just put in a order with Lego at their pick a brick or just order them off of brick link, if I can find a store that has no minimum purchase.

This is what you needed right? Let me know where to send them!

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Here's something I've been working on the past few days after seeing the modular buildings. It's just a facade right now but I'm going to work out some actual floors and probably get the parts together on pick-a-brick/bricklink.

I stole elements from the Fire Brigade building, such as above the windows and near the top. I always wondered how some people were able to make crazy MOC's, but after using LDD it seems obvious now!

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

AllisonByProxy posted:

This is what you needed right? Let me know where to send them!

PM you my address. Thanks a lot.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

If you guys had to choose between the haunted house and the Arkham Asylum, as coolest factor and also I guess increase in value in the future, what one would it be?

Would Arkham be worth more being a licensed item and mostly likely not produced as long as HH?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I am seeling some minifigs in SA Mart, mostly hobbit figs. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3528289

DrChud - I have no idea which will be more valuable, but I know I would certainly prefer Arkham over the haunted house.

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler

Lizard Combatant posted:

Cool, thanks I'll take look. What did you base it on out of interest?

I based it on the Jugendstil underground "Stadtbahn" stations by Otto Wagner in Vienna. Didin't really capture it, but I refused to check during the build.

I finalised my Gründerzeit building kit:

All 8x8 or 16x8, and fits nicely together. I kept the color pallette rather simple to make it easier to build.

One of the early attempts at an assembly, there were parts missing from LDD at the time:

Edit: Erroneously removed the download link for the lxf:

http://www.speedshare.org/download.php?id=4BBCA8FB1

pad thai hi-five fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 14, 2013

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Intoxication posted:

I based it on the Jugendstil underground "Stadtbahn" stations by Otto Wagner in Vienna. Didin't really capture it, but I refused to check during the build.

I finalised my Gründerzeit building kit:

All 8x8 or 16x8, and fits nicely together. I kept the color pallette rather simple to make it easier to build.

One of the early attempts at an assembly, there were parts missing from LDD at the time:

Edit: Erroneously removed the download link for the lxf:

http://www.speedshare.org/download.php?id=4BBCA8FB1

Holy smokes! I love the corner balconies on this.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I ordered my first Lego set last night. I'm planning on moving soon and won't have much space until then so I went with something little to start and picked Gandalf and his fireworks-cart. I figure once I move I can get Bag End and park him out front of it.

I'm kind of excited because I never really enjoyed Lego as a kid, since I only had assorted buckets, and due to a minor developmental disability have an absolutely horrific spatial sense. So I could make... like, a wall or a square house with a square window and no roof. With a proper kit and a set of instructions I'll be able to make something that looks like something, and I love tiny fiddly things so this should be fun. :shobon:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

ireladd posted:

4286 of 4287 pieces later, I was cursing an elusive 1x1 tan plate.

The plus side is that set is now INCREDIBLY well-sorted and bagged.

If that's the same tan that is used in the Brandenburg Gate lego, I'm pretty sure they gave me an extra 1x1 flat plate. I'll check tonight when I get home if you still need it.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
I've been browsing Cuusoo submissions lately, and well... I think we should all get behind this one:

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/21164

I especially like the MSpainted boobs on that profile shot. As we all know, there is a dire lack of Lego boobs and Chell simply wouldn't be complete without them.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

If that's the same tan that is used in the Brandenburg Gate lego, I'm pretty sure they gave me an extra 1x1 flat plate. I'll check tonight when I get home if you still need it.

Looking at the pic of the Brandenburg Gate they are indeed the same. That would be amazing! No worries if you don't have it but if you do I'll send you something fun in return. :)

Sair
May 11, 2007

The things some people get up to...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Brickvention is on again in Melbourne this weekend. Looks like they moved to a larger venue this time too.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

My western theme submission!

The Good Guys!

The Bad Guys!

Armored Stage Coach!

Look at all them barrels! For what could they need all of those built into a stagecoach?

BECAUSE ITS A FREAKIN SPIDER MECH STAGECOACH THING!

We're going straight to The Wild Wild West!

BONUS! Marty McFly from Back to the Future: Part 3!

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Rythe posted:

PM you my address. Thanks a lot.

Fyi, Just put this in the mail today so hopefully it won't take too long!

Picked up 4 of the new Creator sets yesterday. Really cool builds. I think I like the Construction Hauler the best.

AllisonByProxy fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 15, 2013

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

ireladd posted:

Looking at the pic of the Brandenburg Gate they are indeed the same. That would be amazing! No worries if you don't have it but if you do I'll send you something fun in return. :)

Found a 1x1 tan flat plate. Pm me your address and I'll mail it out tomorrow.

Edit: Put it in the mail. I taped the edges of the envelope since it's so small it could possibly sneak out of one of the corners.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 15, 2013

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

So my local Fred Meyer got in 7 or 8 cases of Series 9 and my random pull of 10 somehow gave me 5x Knight 2x Chicken Man and 1 of each Judge, Cop, and Caesar. Anyone want to trade for 4 Knights and a Chicken Man?

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
This is pretty neat: http://www.flickr.com/photos/eilonwy77/8386327957/in/pool-afol16

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
A box containing my childhood arrived last night. . .

I have no idea how heavy it is or how many pieces, but I can say that is one of the few items that has made forced me to stop multiple times while climbing my stairs.

I spent almost all morning sorting, prior to the sort the box would barely shut all the way. Those are 6qt containers to give you an idea of their size. I was originally sorting into one bucket for each color black, white, yellow, red, blue, and green. The first problem I realized was red, black, white and blue all filled up really fast, they yellow box is pathetically empty (which really doesn't bother me much at all) and I started throwing brown and grey into the green box.

I need to find a good way to clean a ton of Lego, I think most of my pieces have had coke spilled on them. The good is that the cola rinses off really quick with hot water (gonna go through a ton of hot water) but I really don't want to wash five million bricks by hand. I think a google search said something about putting bricks in either a dish washer or clothes washer? I suppose I could also fill my tub with hot water and let them soak forever.

Good news is for the most part, it looks like my parts have not yellowed much - I imagine most of the parts were purchased in the 90s or later and Lego must have solved that problem by then? None the less, some of my white bricks look kinda nasty.

While sorting, I also hunted down some of my minifigs:

These guys are like my ghetto version of storm troopers or something: (these look like 20x better if I replace the torso with white zippered jackets, see next photo)

These guys are my "classic astronauts" - I like this look enough I have a shipment of about 8-10 each red, blue and black torsos coming from the netherlands (seller didn't have white torsos).

Next I have my "engineering crew" - I really wish there were more colors of the jacket with the zipper straight up and down.

Last minifig pic, I am trying to create something that looks kinda like a space soldier. I am choosing to use Spyrius or Unitron torsos because that is what I have to work with, and I think they both kinda look like futuristic armor, especially the upper part of the Spyrius torso. But overall, I just like the Unitron fig (outfitted as pictured) best. I am not yet sure if I prefer the aquashark headgear (it looks like armor to me) or the standard air tank and helmet.

So, before I have to resort to bricklink, does anyone have some some Unitron or white with diagonal zipper torsos they would like to trade? I am also in need of grey arms w/ black hands (or black hands in general) and grey legs with black hips (also need a few pairs of red hips/legs). I am also interested in red and blue helmets and airtanks. Broke down and ordered from Bricklink.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 17, 2013

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

SO, my 8043 Excavator arrived today, and it's one of the ones with the old actuators. :(
No worries, I can just call and get the service pack, right?

Maybe not...

quote:

Call Us

Customer Service
1-800-838-9647*

Shop At Home
1-800-835-4386*

* Our free number might be blocked by some telecom providers; contact your provider for more details.

And of course, Verizon Wireless blocks the Customer Service line... and I work at home, so it's the only phone I have.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Maybe via email?

Where did you pick it up that it has the old ones, I thought all the unsold ones were recalled and had them replaced? Do you also have the V1 PF receivers in it as well then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Actually, the Sales line worked, and after a long hold they were able to get me through to the right place. They are sending me the repair kit (from Denmark!), should take 4-8 weeks.

I bought it through Bricklink, and after I ordered it I noticed that it said "FIRST EDITION" right on it. I haven't actually opened it yet, I just assumed that it was the older one. I didn't know that the receivers were different, just the linear actuators. How do I check?

EDIT:
The Bricklink entry for the actuator details how you can tell the two versions apart, but no note on the Receiver:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=61927c01

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 17, 2013