Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

ReelBigLizard posted:

I have a bottle of Nikwax rain-repellant which appears to be the same thing as Rain-X, seems to work pretty great. However, I find that when it's not raining any rain-repellent product usually turns out to also be dust-attractive. These days I just use rain gloves with a handy visor wiper on the finger.

Shimrod posted:

I use Rain-X, it's awesome.

When I can be bothered anyway, most of the time I just wipe rain off with my hand if it builds up more than I like and I can't just have it roll off by turning my head.

Thanks fellas! It sort of turns out that I was over thinking this. Just got back from riding around out there to see how my visor worked under moderate rain, and like you both say, either wiping with the glove or looking off to the side got the wind to blow a lot of it off whenever it got too much. I guess I convinced myself a product was required before I even tried.

Our great WA state roads are being drenched and it's thrown me into my car for work. Yet every time I go out there, I'm seeing someone on a bike roughing it. I've done wet riding locally so it's not something I'm unfamiliar with, but I suppose there's some part of my brain that's saying "riding a bike is risky enough, do you really want to deal with it when it's slippery?"

Man, my car eats so much gas..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Well, as one of those guys out there riding in the rain that you see (not that where I live where you do) I can say that it's still more fun for me to ride in the rain than it is to drive a car. I actually enjoy it at times more than in the dry, you have to focus and do everything perfectly otherwise you're going to faceplant.

I actually sold my car and have no regrets.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
In the middle-weight category (400-800cc), how would the CA hivemind rank Yamaha/Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki these days?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Rain repellents are best suited for Urban riding IMO. At speeds above ~45mph the wind will clear all but the heaviest blatter from a plain visor. In a built up, busy area where taking your hand off the bars every minute or so would be an unwelcome distraction/risk, it's nice to have a repellent to clear your visor.

I'm also a bike-only guy. I just can't justify two vehicles, so I chose to make do with the bike (and have fun) rather than waste the car and struggle with traffic/parking.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

epalm posted:

In the middle-weight category (400-800cc), how would the CA hivemind rank Yamaha/Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki these days?

Rank...what? Their cruisers, their standards, their sportbikes?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Z3n posted:

I was aiming at standards, but why not all three, if there is significant variance.

Edit: To clarify, what I'm really asking about is overall build quality. I should have stated this earlier. I'm wondering if all 4 manufacturers are pretty much neck and neck, or if these days one or two are pulling away from the others.

epswing fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 30, 2013

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Z3n posted:

Not my cruisers, standards or sportbikes.

Edit: to add something useful. None of the big 5 make bad bikes these days. Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Harley Davidson... They all make great products now.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
I've seen some interesting solutions posted before - how would I go about lifting the front in the air to work on it, without a centre stand?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
What bike? If it's a more modern bike you can use a triple tree attachment to a front stand. If not you can get creative with some ratchet straps and a ladder / roof rafters.

EDIT - Wait, work on what? For the front suspension you'll have to do the above. For just general maintenance stuff ie not taking off the forks or anything you can just buy a fork stand.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Build quality is pretty consistent between the big 4 these days. I'd say you get more variation between bikes and owners then you do bike makers.

Wootcannon posted:

I've seen some interesting solutions posted before - how would I go about lifting the front in the air to work on it, without a centre stand?

Jack under the collector at the headers with the bike on the sidestand.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

Working on the forks to try and fix the vibration (I lazily didn't do this even though the solution was given to me back at page 450-something of this thread.) Money's quite tight at the moment, so I'd rather not buy a separate part.

Z3n posted:

Jack under the collector at the headers with the bike on the sidestand.

And the collector at the headers would be the....? I'm not finding it at all on google or the Haynes.

e: This is what being brought up by a programmer father does to your children.

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 30, 2013

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

He means just put a block of wood on a jack and jack the bike up under the headers essentially. Make sure you stabilize the bike somehow if you use this method.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yup. Just make sure you're at a place on the headers where you're not putting all of the weight on one individual header.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
If you don't have a jack, you can also use a squeeze-grip clamp from the hardware shop to do the same thing (they flip to become a spreader). A steel spined one can easily hold up one end of a bike, I've even done it on a HD Sporty:

http://www.caulfieldindustrial.com/irwin-quickgrip--bar-clamps/p-122892pd.html

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I've got one of those "get a farmer, chicken, fox, and bag of grain across the river in a boat" kind of puzzle going on

- I have a Ninja 500 with a pinhole-leaking tank on my bike parked on the street
- I have a non-leaking, non-rusty tank off eBay for $75
- I have no car, and live in an apartment, so I have nowhere to store any gas-related thing safely, or even leave the tank sitting for more than a few hours without risking a fine for dumping and/or leaving flammables laying around in public.

Any suggestions on how to go about getting rid of the old tank? In current condition it can't be worth more than $20 or so, and I'm willing to lose that just to be rid of it.

I can't just throw it in a dumpster (ethically/safety-wise), can't just dump it in a vacant lot. I'd be tempted to just put it on the sidewalk with a sign saying "FREE/GRATIS" (or, it being DC, "PLEASE DON'T STEAL") but that probably risks some kind of fine too.

I tried putting it on Craigslist in the motorcycle section, no dice. Tried CL in the "Free stuff" section, and no matter how clearly I indicated "GAS TANK for motorcycle" and put "I am not giving away a motorcycle, I am giving away a gas tank", I get multiple daily calls/texts/emails from morons saying "YES I WOULD LIKE THE FREE MOTORCYCLE!!!"

Any suggestions on how to be rid of this extra tank, safely and ethically?

My next bright idea is to put it back on CL Free Stuff, but label the ad "15 pounds of scrap steel" and see if anyone wants it for that. Dented/rusty Ninja tanks don't appear to be hard to find, so not sure how long it'd take to find someone with an actual desire for one.

If you have everything you need to do the tank swap, including a petcock on the new tank, then you should be able to transfer the fuel from old tank to new without a gas can. Otherwise, use a gas can to "escrow" the fuel between the tanks.

Once you have the old tank empty, you'll need to deal with the last bit of fuel that sloshes around the bottom. If you have an oil change tub (long flat plastic from AutoZone) you can shake out more fuel into that. Then put that gas into the new tank through some filter.

Anyway, you should get to a point where the old tank is virtually empty but not quite bone dry, so it's flammable, dangerous, etc. Remove the petcock and cap. Flush a bunch of water through it (outside hose, utility sink?). If you cannot do that move to the next step of airing out the empty tank. Without a garage, it may be tricky to air out the tank, but do as much airing as possible outside. You might be OK bringing it in to air out for a day or so. Stick it in the bathroom with the exhaust fan running, window open, etc. If you can, try to hang it over the tub/shower with a coat hanger so any drips fall into the drain (a few drips of petrol won't be enough to poison the sewer), and you get a good airflow. If you run the exhaust fan and keep the bathroom door closed, I don't think it will stink up the place, cause you to pass out etc.

Once the thing has aired out for a couple days, it's just a hunk of metal. Pitch it in the bin.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

Ah, I can see how my wording's caused confusion. Okay, when I said "at the collector under the headers would be...?" I should point out I was asking what the header or collector were in plain English. Google's implying it's just the manifold leading to the exhaust pipe but I'd rather not ruin the bike on a "looks like it".

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

So the headers are the pipes that come from the engine head and go to the muffler. The collector is the part of the exhaust where the multiple pipes from the engine head go into one larger exhaust pipe that leads to the muffler, typically.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
I am in the process of switching out the sprockets on the 2004 FZ6 I picked up in the Fall. It looks like one of the previous owners over-torqued the nuts on the rear sprocket. I was able to get all but one off. It's a lock nut that just spins around bolt. I can't seem get anything underneath it to lift it up in the hopes of catching some threads.

What are my best options at this point?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Angle grinder.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

How difficult is it to rebuild a brake master cylinder? I have reason to believe my rear master cylinder is done so I'd like to fix it up. I have an 04 SV650 and I'm having some trouble finding the correct kit online. It appears most of them are generic so it shouldn't really matter which one I get? How do I tell a good rebuild kit from a bad one? Halp.

e: I should say I'm happy to follow one of the many howto guides I can find online, my main issue is finding the appropriate rebuild kit to get.

bsamu fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 31, 2013

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Is that the two-stroke or the four-stroke? Either way it, er, it probably shouldn't be doing that. Have you recently serviced it?

It's the two. Pretty sure I messed something up while getting the clutch-side cover unglued from its gasket (a rubber mallet got involved).

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

RE: Lift up the front - put it on center stand, put a jerry can/large brick/whatever on the back to weigh it down.

Or use an engine crane if you have one handy. (Or one of the other methods posted here).

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

I've only got a wee kickstand, sadly!

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Eh, just put it on a crate or something. If you're worried about the exhaust or anything just take it off. I don't know how the one on your bike goes but I discovered the one on one of my bikes take a grand total of 5 minutes to take off and put back on.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

I should be fine, I've got a kickstand, a car jack and some wood for the fire to rest it on, should the weather ever calm down. It's one of those things (checking the rotor and forks) I figure I'm better learning myself.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

bsamu posted:

How difficult is it to rebuild a brake master cylinder? I have reason to believe my rear master cylinder is done so I'd like to fix it up. I have an 04 SV650 and I'm having some trouble finding the correct kit online. It appears most of them are generic so it shouldn't really matter which one I get? How do I tell a good rebuild kit from a bad one? Halp.

e: I should say I'm happy to follow one of the many howto guides I can find online, my main issue is finding the appropriate rebuild kit to get.

MC rebuilds are not too tough, the PITA is bleeding and filling the brake lines.

If your MC is particularly tricky to rebuild or you cannot find parts, look for a replacement MC on ebay. Still have bleed, etc., but MCs are pretty cheap IME.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

So there, down payment made. Now I just have to wait for the snow to go away so I can sell off my other three bikes. :(

Z3n posted:

Oh poo poo is that the model with the true 690cc engine? :neckbeard:
Another one of my friends just bought a 690 out here and he's going to bring it by this weekend. I've missed KTMs.

Oh yeah. Probably wont feel too much difference from the DRZ though, right? :v:

Spiffness posted:

Wonderful. I can't wait till it comes state side so I can do the same. Post everything.

Edit: Ex-owner protips
Really securely fashion your license plate
Those rear turn signals will break soon, and the exhaust side one will melt. Get some short LED ones and they'll last
Watch for the header on your riding pants, it'll melt everything you wear
Might be different for the new ones but there is a 2nd gear mod you can do, really simple, just pulling a wire, that livens it up a lot
Have a play with the engine map settings switch under the seat (Refer to manual). Makes a big difference.

Valve checks are easy, they use expensive oil but its worth it. The engines are lovely and bulletproof and stand up to endless abuse. Enjoy it.

Thanks, I'll make sure to fashion my license plate really securely.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Nidhg00670000 posted:

So there, down payment made. Now I just have to wait for the snow to go away so I can sell off my other three bikes. :(

Oh yeah. Probably wont feel too much difference from the DRZ though, right? :v:

Thanks, I'll make sure to fashion my license plate really securely.

Rhinestones or sparkly glitter paint?

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

With regards to propping up my 125, the exhaust runs directly under the main engine bit, the headers appear to be up top (my bike's the same, obviously. I've removed the bottom fairing, any suggestions, I was thinking of running a plank between the bottom engine bit and the exhaust pipe, and lifting it up on a jack that way. edit: Crap, the gap between the exhaust and the engine, as well as the position of the clutch cable, means I can only run one piddly plank through the middle.

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Feb 1, 2013

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
If there's no good flat spots on the bottom, try suspending it from an A-frame ladder with some ratchet or pull straps. Just use the grips or top triples or whatever's convenient. Should be easy with a bike that light.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Wootcannon posted:

With regards to propping up my 125, the exhaust runs directly under the main engine bit, the headers appear to be up top (my bike's the same, obviously. I've removed the bottom fairing, any suggestions, I was thinking of running a plank between the bottom engine bit and the exhaust pipe, and lifting it up on a jack that way. edit: Crap, the gap between the exhaust and the engine, as well as the position of the clutch cable, means I can only run one piddly plank through the middle.

You're over thinking this.

If you're fairing-less just jack it up on the bottom right hand side of the engine, you only need a small piece of wood to stop it scuffing the casings. You don't even need a jack to do it, a piece of two-by-four/pipe/prosthetic leg/ming vase of the right length will do the job.

Go to the side stand side of the bike, pull the bike towards you so the front wheel comes off the ground, like this guy does, but lifting the front off the ground:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWWnf0niufk

Get a second person to wedge your chosen 18-inch dildo/acetylene bottle/breeze block under the right-hand side of the engine, thus making a tripod with the side stand and rear wheel while your front wheel is lifted off the ground. Done.

EDIT: I had to go home at lunch anyway:
Take your suitably sized thingymagig, in my case this is a piece of scrap aluminium pipe that does double duty as a leverage bar in my tool box, it's got an old bit of innertube wrapped around the end dso it doesn't scratch poo poo up:

1)Lift front of biek
2)Wedge thing under biek:

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 1, 2013

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

Well I've got the jack, so I can just pump it up that side. Cheers for reassuring me, I was worried I'd somehow crack the casing.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
What is a reasonable torque setting for the nuts on a rear sprocket on a 2004 FZ6? The manual has 100nm (73 ft lbs) listed, but I've seen a number of websites say this is a horrible misprint, which seems likely for a 14mm nut on a 10mm bolt. However, the suggestions for correct torque range from 25 to 65 ft lbs. Any suggestions?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
In my owners manual the torque spec for M10's ranges from 40-60Nm. I'd go with 50Nm.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zool posted:

In my owners manual the torque spec for M10's ranges from 40-60Nm. I'd go with 50Nm.

Yeah, that seems about right to me.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone know where I can get a Bell Star Hess in XS at a non-retard price? Can't find one anywhere. A local shop has my second graphics choice for the Star but wants $700 for it, wtf.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

So last night I was fooling around with the CM400T. Had it up on the centerstand so I gave the rear wheel a spin. Then I noticed that once per revolution I heard a rubbing noise and the wheel slowed down. Is this just an effect of drum brakes, like the gentle whispering sound you get from disk brakes? Or is something hosed and I need to start digging?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Means that your drum is slightly out of round. You could probably take it somewhere to get re-trued ($$$$) or you could adjust the rear brake setpoint a turn or two so that it doesn't bind at all, and just have a little more play in the pedal from now on. I did the latter on mine and haven't had any problems -- drum brakes are always going to be a little funkier than discs, and as the rear it's not your primary brake anyway.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Does anyone here have one of the Harbor Freight foldable trailers?
http://www.harborfreight.com/950-lb-capacity-foldable-4-ft-x-8-ft-utility-trailer-with-8-inch-wheels-and-tires-42709.html

They're pretty popular on ADVrider and a few other places as motorcycle trailers with the addition of a wheel chock. I need a way of getting my Ducati from Ohio to North Carolina a few times and they seem to be the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
No, but I've been eyeing one.