Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

FlamingLiberal posted:

There was a rumor at one point of them doing an animated film set like 50-100 years after the end of Voyager, where the Federation is in shambles, but it doesn't seem like that ever got off the drawing board. I don't remember whether that was before the Abrams films or not.

I can't honestly recall anyone suggesting DS9, VOY, or ENT films. None of those shows were as popular as TNG, and TNG films were made until ENT's run, so it probably wasn't necessary.

Talk to Melgar in the TVIV thread. That was his show. I honestly wasn't thrilled by a lot of the ideas, and got the idea that he needed some more people to play ideas off of. I understand his trying to make the show more appetizing to a modern audience, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humanzee
Oct 5, 2005
Party all the time
The plot thickens: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/02...illain-mystery/

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

He's a Bynar, obviously, I dunno why there's all this speculatizing.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

FrensaGeran posted:

He's a Bynar, obviously, I dunno why there's all this speculatizing.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

berserker posted:

010100000110111101101111011100100110110001111001001000000110011001101111011100100110110101100001
011101000111010001100101011001000010000001100010011010010110111001100001011100100111100100111111

00111010011100100110111101101100011011000110010101111001011001010111001100111010

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 8, 2013

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

The Dark One posted:

010100000110111101101111011100100110110001111001001000000110011001101111011100100110110101100001
011101000111010001100101011001000010000001100010011010010110111001100001011100100111100100111111

00111010011100100110111101101100011011000110010101111001011001010111001100111010

It was in an alien language obviously GOD
:goonsay:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Ahem:

GrumbleGrumble
Jul 11, 2004

I like this humor quite a bit, it's based on two things I enjoy.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Can't remember if I've seen it in this thread yet or not, but my personal favorite speculation on Harrison's character is the theory that while he was on the SS Botany Bay, in this timeline the Federation simply opened a different suspended animation chamber than in the OS timeline and Harrison came out instead of Kahn. It makes the most sense, is an incredibly interesting take on the original story, and fits the whole "Cumberbatch plays a villain that's technically been on screen before but it isn't Marshall or Kahn or [all other potential villains]" thing that O&K have going.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

GrumbleGrumble posted:

I like this humor quite a bit, it's based on two things I enjoy.

It's amazing the way you *NOTICE TWO THINGS*

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

Can't remember if I've seen it in this thread yet or not, but my personal favorite speculation on Harrison's character is the theory that while he was on the SS Botany Bay, in this timeline the Federation simply opened a different suspended animation chamber than in the OS timeline and Harrison came out instead of Kahn. It makes the most sense, is an incredibly interesting take on the original story, and fits the whole "Cumberbatch plays a villain that's technically been on screen before but it isn't Marshall or Kahn or [all other potential villains]" thing that O&K have going.

That is actually a brilliant piece of speculation that I hope has some merit.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I like that idea better than attempting to have someone else play Khan, to be honest.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Then Kirk and Khan can TEAM UP. It's so silly I almost like it.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

AlternateAccount posted:

And Khan would be played by Vin Diesel. :colbert:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

AlternateAccount posted:

DFu4ever posted:

And Khan would be played by Vin Diesel. :colbert:

Great, now I'm going to be disappointed no matter what actually ends up happening in the movie.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Just locked in my May 15th tickets for the 8PM IMAX 3D show. This is happening.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AlternateAccount posted:

Is it lighting? I think maybe the later movies suffer more from 'movie lighting' and less trying to replicate the look of something functional. I think you've hit on something though.
I don't know, but it's sad to see the franchise's actually starting to look less real the more advanced the tech gets.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Cingulate posted:

Every other Trek suffers from comparatively lacking special effects and/or cartoon space monsters.
I don't know, but it's sad to see the franchise's actually starting to look less real the more advanced the tech gets.
Uhhhhh.... Didn't the first movie literally have cartoon space aliens from the animated series? Hell, your complaint is also rather dumb in that its space. If we were to encounter aliens they would be strange. They wouldn't be humans who have makeup on their faces. The technology we would use also looks foreign and weird. The reason why trek is becoming outdated is because quite honestly it really is to conservative.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 10, 2013

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What cartoon aliens do you mean?

I don't see how my idea is "dumb" because of ifs and fantasies. All Trek movies have Hollywood dudes with make-up, but the TOS movies feel real, and Nemesis looks like a bunch of CGI and dudes with make-up.
It's the same thing as Alien vs. Aliens. Both great movies, but Alien has aged a lot more gracefully, because it used the 2001 approach to the future. Mother seems to be a modded C64, but still, the movie feels real.
I love JJTrek, it's a really fun movie, it's a better movie than TMP by far. And yet, when I'm watching JJTrek, I'm thinking, "wow, nice special effects, and the actor is doing a good Kirk", but when I'm watching TMP, I'm thinking, "poo poo, it's a dude, in space! The future is amazing!".
Two more recent movies doing space realism nicely would be Sunshine and Moon.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I wouldn't say TMP is.... I do get that sense from TUC though. So is this guy Khan or not? I really hope he's not.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Cingulate posted:

It's the same thing as Alien vs. Aliens. Both great movies, but Alien has aged a lot more gracefully

I think you may be having a stroke. Alien still a great movie, but really, what would possibly make you think that the technology in Alien aged more gracefully than Aliens?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Aliens screams Eighties from the top of its lungs. Alien has a timeless retro quality that for sure has odd touches of Seventies, but isn't like Logan's Run.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Aliens screams Eighties from the top of its lungs. Alien has a timeless retro quality that for sure has odd touches of Seventies, but isn't like Logan's Run.

Aliens doesn't really "scream 80s" since its base aesthetic is used in every current first person shooter ever (including the ones set in the present day) and half of the science fiction films that contain guns. It's still the "expected look" for future-sci-fi-military.

Alien and Aliens have aged equally as gracefully because of two different approaches to "future tech" (retro - clean juxtaposed with blue collar vs. military and industrial). Neither attempts to create much "new" stuff at all. The Alien series is a really bad example to use for this, because none of them really age BECAUSE their "future" is always gritty and "just different enough" to know its not the present day (even Resurrection).

Darko fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 11, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Darko posted:

Aliens doesn't really "scream 80s" since its base aesthetic is used in every current first person shooter ever (including the ones set in the present day) and half of the science fiction films that contain guns. It's still the "expected look" for future-sci-fi-military.

To be frank, Aliens is pretty far from the "expected look" of military scifi nowadays. People take cues from it in overall direction, for sure, but Aliens is a Vietnam film set in space because the Vietnam war was still in people's minds, the US having pulled out only ten years earlier. "Vietnam" is all over every piece of military fiction in the 80's. A lot of modern military scifi tends to be Gulf War I/War on Terror/Gulf War II analogs now because that's what's relevant to the viewers.

I think we're arguing at crosspurposes on this point, to be fair.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

A lot of modern military scifi tends to be Gulf War I/War on Terror/Gulf War II analogs now because that's what's relevant to the viewers.

Which is basically Vietnam with even more explicit civil rights issues at play from a thematic standpoint. Drone strikes aren't really more dehumanizing than fields of napalm as far as the eye can see. poo poo, a lot of the weapons haven't even changed that much. And the basic feel of the threat is exactly the same. There is functionally no difference between Victor Charlie jumping out of the bushes to shove bamboo shoots up your dick and Akmed Jihadeo jumping off a camel and blowing your poo poo up with a suicide vest. It's still the same xenophobia directed at the faceless and inhuman threat from the dark attacking randomly with overwhelming terror and violence.

We traded desert for jungle, and we are still having the same loving war.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
No, he's right, Aliens looks and feels way more dated than Alien and screams "80s". You can bring all sorts of historical and thematic reasons it doesn't, but the way it's shot, the way its acted, the production design, the cinematography, and the art direction are all super 80s. Alien feels much more timeless.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Let's not forget that this is the Star Trek thread. I'm sorry for kinda causing the derail, but my main point was that the TOS movies use the practical effects, 2001-style scifi look and feel more real than most space opera science fiction.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Aliens has aged really well. I don't know what some of you are smoking

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Cingulate posted:

Let's not forget that this is the Star Trek thread. I'm sorry for kinda causing the derail, but my main point was that the TOS movies use the practical effects, 2001-style scifi look and feel more real than most space opera science fiction.

It is interesting how prequels tend to fall into this pattern. I mean I know CGI in general trumps physical effects these days but it has a strong influence on the aesthetic. The Star Wars prequels go for a much cleaner aesthetic than that of the original trilogy, which had a similar lived in future to that of Alien. Prometheus did the same (though they did use more physical effects than is the norm these days) with the Prometheus ship being much less lived in than the Nostromo. TOS and its' movies always presented a cleaner sleeker view of the future that Alien and Starwars were an aesthetic reaction to but even then the reboot film makes everything cleaner and fancier.

A good example in all three reboots is the ships: In Alien the Nostromo is a grimy, aging, utterly utilitarian vessel crewed by working grunts whereas the Prometheus is top of the range brand new vessel crewed by highly skilled experts and the richest man ever. In Star Wars the most prominent vessel is a barely functional smuggling freighter, the star fighters are utilitarian aging or vulnerable vessels and even the Imperial vessels don't scream luxury. Then in the prequels we have royal star yachts, art deco fighters and shiny brand new top of the range capital ships. In Star Trek we go from the NCC-1701 being a powerful and noteworthy but far from unique vessel that by the films is seriously getting old to a brand new top of the line vessel crewed by the best the academy has to offer.

Given in a lot of ways our tech has surpassed what people thought the future would be like even 25 years ago it makes sense that things will look fancier and of course the general problem of everything has to be CGI will affect prequels too but that did not necessarily mean these prequels would need to focus on vessels and people much higher up the in-universe hierarchy. I wonder if it is a coincidence that in Lucas and Scott's case they are much higher up the film making hierarchy nowadays too.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ReV VAdAUL posted:

A good example in all three reboots is the ships: In Alien the Nostromo is a grimy, aging, utterly utilitarian vessel crewed by working grunts whereas the Prometheus is top of the range brand new vessel crewed by highly skilled experts and the richest man ever.

The Prometheus is not crewed by highly skilled experts.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

mind the walrus posted:

So is this guy Khan or not? I really hope he's not.

Do we know who Peter Weller is playing yet? A while ago I heard something about an old man either guiding or mentoring the main bad guy's character. Sounds like he could be Khan, but working from the shadows this time. Maybe someone woke him up earlier in this timeline, explaining his age difference.

Just a thought, and I don't actually know if what's in spoiler text here is a spoiler, as it's a vague recollection of something mentioned (probably in this thread) months ago.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Given in a lot of ways our tech has surpassed what people thought the future would be like even 25 years ago it makes sense that things will look fancier and of course the general problem of everything has to be CGI will affect prequels too but that did not necessarily mean these prequels would need to focus on vessels and people much higher up the in-universe hierarchy. I wonder if it is a coincidence that in Lucas and Scott's case they are much higher up the film making hierarchy nowadays too.
Didn't JJ want to make JJTrek look real and down to earth? Brewery room and all?
Because, it didn't work. It looks good, but it looks shiny and CGI. Even the brewery looks shiny and CGI. loving blues.

Firefly and BSG did the aged and used thing, too, especially Firefly. Firefly is al lot of CGI, too, but I think it works great. CGI shakey-cam!

But, the TOS movies do necessarily not rely on the aged and used look. In TMP, we got the just-refit Enterprise that WAS a top of the line ship, and it looks real. They somehow make shiny WORK. Just like the stuff in 2001 is top of the line, and it works.
I'm not sure where I'd put Prometheus on this spectrum. It's a good movie, and it too tries hard to look real, what with the fire axe and all. But it still has some plastic, shiny quality. It's a bit like Enterprise in that regard.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

Alien feels much more timeless.

The sets (computers and such), hairstyles, and clothing date Alien far more than anything dates Aliens, IMO.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DFu4ever posted:

The sets (computers and such), hairstyles, and clothing date Alien far more than anything dates Aliens, IMO.

Yeah, seriously.

What universe are you in that Mother alone doesn't date the hell out of Alien. I mean I love the movie and I think it is timeless in that it will always be striking, but nobody's mistaking Alien as anything but a product of its time. Both it and Aliens are still really great though even if they're obviously dated in certain places.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
We all agree both Alien and Aliens look great, we all know computers aren't like Mother and people in the 70's had weird mustaches.
Now, let's talk about Star Trek?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

McCoy in the 70s had a fly-rear end beard.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
I think brand new ships should look decrepit and uninhabitable.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think the TMP Enterprise is the best, and most ... what's the word, real? The most real-looking ship in all of ST.
There's probably a more technical word. Naturalistic? I don't know.
And it's brand new and shiny, and looks like it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

MadScientistWorking posted:

Uhhhhh.... Didn't the first movie literally have cartoon space aliens from the animated series? Hell, your complaint is also rather dumb in that its space. If we were to encounter aliens they would be strange. They wouldn't be humans who have makeup on their faces. The technology we would use also looks foreign and weird. The reason why trek is becoming outdated is because quite honestly it really is to conservative.

I would also like to know what aliens from TAS showed up in TMP. I know the Catians showed up in STIV, but I don't remember any animated series aliens in the first movie whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

TMP had several awesome alien designs that were either never seen again, or only seen briefly during Star Trek 4.

Aaamazzarite - http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Aaamazzarite - Gold guys who make their clothes out of mouth secretions. Yeah.

Arcturian - http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Arcturian - Artichokes got admitted to the Federation and they are a bunch of clones that Starfleet supposedly used for wars, though we never saw them again.

Betelgeusian - http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Betelgeusian - Blue dudes with vagina mouths that predate Bolians (but post-date Andorians) No one knows what happens when you say their name three times.

K'normians - http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/K%27normian - Nothing normal about this freak with a goofy head. These jerks claim to have eight senses, which means a bigger brain doesn't mean you can count.

Kazarites - http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Kazarite - Yak Space Hippies who talk to the animals and talk to the plants, but eat yeast.

Megarites - http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Megarite - More like Megawrong, these weirdos are underwater aliens who inject themselves with drugs to live on the surface for a week at a time. Little known fact, Lance Armstrong once wanted to be a Megarite, but they just didn't do enough drugs...

Rhaandarites - http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Rhaandarite - aliens with big heads and glowy eyes. Not interesting.

Rigellians - http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Rigellian - These space turtles ARE turtley enough to get into the Turtle Club! Turtle turtle turtle. The big ones just lay eggs and the little ones control everything.

Saurian - http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Saurian_%28species%29 - You might of heard of these guys' brandy, the only thing anyone talks about. But no one knows the real Saurian. No one knows their hopes, their dreams, their disappointments at not getting into med school and being forced to work at your dad's family farm growing Brandy Berries under harsh conditions so Commander Riker can get that hot Ensign drunk enough for Beard Time. Four hearts just means that much more heartbreak...

Shamin - http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Shamin - More space creeps, these guys wear goofy gold masks with giant antlers. Discovered by some Irish guy who named their planet after him, and not the people who live there. Suck it, Paddy O'Ryan, you imperialist jizzstain!

Zaranites - http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Zaranite - These kickass mother fuckers needed more face time.

Also there were American Indians on the Enterprise - http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Unnamed_USS_Enterprise_%28NCC-1701%29_personnel#Native_American_officers

• Locked thread