Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rage at me
Mar 7, 2006

i can feel your anger

Cowboybot posted:

Are Thanes still terrible? I remember when I played back in the day (release) they were utterly terrible.

They've had a lot of improvements. I think they're pretty good now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Cowboybot posted:

Are Thanes still terrible? I remember when I played back in the day (release) they were utterly terrible.

Thanes defiantly have gotten some love. In non uthguard their great interrupters and the damage is there. I'm not sure where uthguard left off but I see them a lot more now

CactarHero
Jan 28, 2004
Your head smells like a puppy.

Twlight posted:

Thanes defiantly have gotten some love. In non uthguard their great interrupters and the damage is there. I'm not sure where uthguard left off but I see them a lot more now

For Uthgard, berserkers and warriors are what you want as much as possible in an 8 man. Running interrupts is what your group's skald is for.

Cnaiur
Jan 14, 2013
Edit; never mind, found it.

Uthgard is tremendous fun so far, great nostalgia trip. Anyone who wants to play this evening? (GMT +1)?

Cnaiur fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 27, 2013

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

I'm still on Uth on Mid side leveling my bonedancer.

It's making me want to kill myself and I can't get groups.

I should have just made another animist :(

Cnaiur
Jan 14, 2013
Rannison: if you want to I can invite you for the guild I'm in? Currently about 20 people with approx 8 low level people who are trying to level.

I'm normally playing from 8pm (GMT+1) and currently doing Nisse's Lair with a couple of low level guildies.

Cnaiur fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jan 28, 2013

CactarHero
Jan 28, 2004

Rannison posted:

I'm still on Uth on Mid side leveling my bonedancer.

It's making me want to kill myself and I can't get groups.

I should have just made another animist :(

But lifetap, over and over!

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

It's just so lonely and dark.

Midgard does little to ward off this chill, sadly. Frigid, nordic winters.

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

Cnaiur: I've actually got a really good guild currently, <North Star>, and was leveling with them on my shaman.

Then I rerolled to bonedancer when I realized we had 1 shaman for every 3 members.

Cnaiur
Jan 14, 2013
Alright, good to hear.

It's really funny to see the activity in an old-school dungeon like Nisse. Yesterday evening there were at least 2 FG's at the beginning of the dungeon, which remembered me of DaoC's early days.

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

Oh ya, it's great. I'm having a blast on this server though a fairly large part of me wishes I had done Hibernia but alas.

Lemme know when you get to 30ish as I'm apparently a Ranger-Beacon and get killed 2 minutes into every xp session

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I don't know how I played on Mid/Uthgard for years without bumping into other Goons. Figured I was the only one. Seyha/Emo Hunter.

Abandon All Hope
Apr 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't know if anyone's seen it yet, but:

http://citystateentertainment.com/camelotunchained/

Looks to be the spiritual successor to DAOC, being built by former DAOC devs.

I have one problem however:

"Michelle Davies was kicked out of Second Life for swarming other players with an army of self-replicating Daleks that transformed into bouncing penises. The upside is that Second Life is safer now. The downside is that she’s got nowhere left to send them but her first life."

This developers biography.

Sound familiar to any goons?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If there is a spiritual successor to DAoC I will be ecstatic. I played the hell out of this game back on release for a good... hmm, 2 years I think.

Loading up a basic 14 day trial - I have no idea what my old account was and could probably never retrieve anything off it.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
That sounds really cool but it'll be a long way off :(

I just logged in for the first time in years, got a Skald to level 20 in about an hour or two. Still lots of fun, some nice RvR in the battlegrounds whilst levelling and the game is so much more intuitive now. Great gear, cool questhubs and everything in general is more accessible.

Persuaded my brother to download the free trial so we're going to duo xp up tomorrow and see how we go :) Thinking of trying Albion or Hib..any good combos for xp + rvr? :)

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

Bloodbath posted:

I just logged in for the first time in years, got a Skald to level 20 in about an hour or two. Still lots of fun, some nice RvR in the battlegrounds whilst levelling and the game is so much more intuitive now. Great gear, cool questhubs and everything in general is more accessible.

Persuaded my brother to download the free trial so we're going to duo xp up tomorrow and see how we go :) Thinking of trying Albion or Hib..any good combos for xp + rvr? :)

For Hibernia: Bard + Melee DPS, usually.
For Albion: Minstrel + DPS, probably a Sorc.

You're definitely going to want speed and CC for leveling/RvR.

Also for the people on Mid/Uthgard, let me know a time and if you guys need it I can throw a few plat at you. I also have a couple on Hib as well.

Pretty burnt out on the server, otherwise I'd join up.

CactarHero
Jan 28, 2004

Bloodbath posted:

Bard + vamp can also be fun, given that they get stealth detection if you spec it a certain way. Lots of poor stealthers need to be killed and who is gonna do it if not you?!?

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004
Are castershades still a thing? Or have they been nerfed to oblivion?

CactarHero
Jan 28, 2004

Saveron_01 posted:

Are castershades still a thing? Or have they been nerfed to oblivion?

They got the bat at some point. Not as good as they used to be, better than they were before the buffs.

Daddar
Nov 13, 2003

What the fuck is the Internet?
Anyone playing Uthgard still? I am on Albion as a 12 theurgist. Have a blast, like it's old times again.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Abandon All Hope posted:

I don't know if anyone's seen it yet, but:

http://citystateentertainment.com/camelotunchained/

Looks to be the spiritual successor to DAOC, being built by former DAOC devs.

Oh, I really hope they make it. That sounds very ambitious but it would be so awesome to see a DAoC successor.

I want to update the early post with active players, but I don't see many of your in-game names. If it wouldn't be too much trouble, if you'd like to be listed as actively playing, could you go back and edit your most recent post to include your in-game name, realm, and whether you're on Uthgard or on the Ywain cluster?

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

I'm playing on Ywain as Mobiusss, almost level 50 Eldritch :)

So I'm close to 50 and having not played for years and years am wondering what you do when you get there? I'm guessing legendaries are not important any more. I figure I'll mostly be keep defending and stuff (I'm void/bolt and enjoying it) how do I go about getting better gear than the Cathal Valley bounty point equipment? Do people still do ToA stuff? Is Darkness Falls relevant at all? I quit after ToA so have no idea what Labyrinth and stuff are. Also what is Caledonia, is that an RvR zone? And do people still mainly use Emain Macha as the RvR zone?

Basically I'm guildless and have no idea how to make myself RvR ready :)

I recommend anyone thinking of returning give it a go though, I'm thoroughly enjoying myself and levelling at a really good pace through the battlegrounds with a bit of RvR here and there is great fun. The community is very nice and I've met quite a few beginners and returning players. People are friendly and helpful, and the game is much more intuitive and accessible than I ever remember before.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bloodbath posted:

I'm playing on Ywain as Mobiusss, almost level 50 Eldritch :)

So I'm close to 50 and having not played for years and years am wondering what you do when you get there? I'm guessing legendaries are not important any more. I figure I'll mostly be keep defending and stuff (I'm void/bolt and enjoying it) how do I go about getting better gear than the Cathal Valley bounty point equipment? Do people still do ToA stuff? Is Darkness Falls relevant at all? I quit after ToA so have no idea what Labyrinth and stuff are. Also what is Caledonia, is that an RvR zone? And do people still mainly use Emain Macha as the RvR zone?

Basically I'm guildless and have no idea how to make myself RvR ready :)

I recommend anyone thinking of returning give it a go though, I'm thoroughly enjoying myself and levelling at a really good pace through the battlegrounds with a bit of RvR here and there is great fun. The community is very nice and I've met quite a few beginners and returning players. People are friendly and helpful, and the game is much more intuitive and accessible than I ever remember before.

I'm playing on alb but I can definatly give you some pointers:

Most of the TOA stuff can now be bought with either Bounty Points or Atlantean Glass. This includes both the Master Levels as well as Artifacts. Once you cap out of Cathal Valley ( that is if you chose to but if you're enjoying it why stop) you should be around 4L9 have a decent grip of how your class is played as well as gold and bounty points you can begin to build a suit.

If you want to pay with glass there are repeatable quests in TOA that give you Glass every run, they're fairly quick look for people in /region spamming for a Glass Group or something similar go to their zone you should be able to get a group rather quickly. The gold rewards are also pretty good.

Surf the web for a decent Eld suit, unfortunately I'm not really sure as I've never played hib but i'd imagine you'd want to get your dex pretty high as its your casting stat, and toa bonuses ( you can find those by typing /bonuses, the cap is usually 10% for damage/speed/pierce and 25% for spell duration and healing effectiveness.

DF is still a decent place to RVR but I've found it over run with sneeks. At the entrance there should be a quest that after killing 15 albs/mids you get a 1500 rp's BP's some cash and XP. Not a bad quest to pick up as it's repeatable.

Caledonia is an rvr event running till the end of the week or so ( if it's not already stopped ) its just a battle ground they opened for level 50's nothing to worry about. There is no real "main rvr" zone any longer due to New Frontiers but you can get a good feel for things if you join a group and get started in a BattleGroup usually each realm has 3+ groups running around trying to do things a good way to get your feet wet. However I would work on finding a suit first then get money/items for that suit, then cap out of CV.

Apologize for the length of this I just kept typing.

nousername
Mar 1, 2005
mainliner
In on Antilash and Garbagetruck - hibernia (on ywain)

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

Thanks for all this, very helpful. :)

I'm 47.5 at the moment and xping through Cathal Valley is a struggle. Would it be worth me starting with ToA stuff now as I xp, or is there another way to xp? I've only used battlegrounds so far.

Also what is this pict camp in the frontier? I see high level and low level people standing around pulling mobs, is that viable for me or do you need a level 50 alt to get in?

Bloodbath fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Feb 21, 2013

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bloodbath posted:

Thanks for all this, very helpful. :)

I'm 47.5 at the moment and xping through Cathal Valley is a struggle. Would it be worth me starting with ToA stuff now as I xp, or is there another way to xp? I've only used battlegrounds so far.

Also what is this pict camp in the frontier? I see high level and low level people standing around pulling mobs, is that viable for me or do you need a level 50 alt to get in?

at 47.5 you should be running the glass quests you'll be able to xp up pretty quick to 49.8 ( remember if you want to stay in Cathal Valley to type /xp off before you hit 50! ) you'll still earn artifact xp but your level wont advance. you can continue to run the glass quests for a while ( or buy the glass off housing I'm not sure of hib prices but its around 1 - 1.5 p. per 5000 stack on alb. The pict camp is a part of the pictish invasion quest they drop some decent melee weapons. The quest might have ended or stopped I'm not 100% sure as to how its still running. Glad I Could help.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

Twlight posted:

at 47.5 you should be running the glass quests you'll be able to xp up pretty quick to 49.8 ( remember if you want to stay in Cathal Valley to type /xp off before you hit 50! ) you'll still earn artifact xp but your level wont advance. you can continue to run the glass quests for a while ( or buy the glass off housing I'm not sure of hib prices but its around 1 - 1.5 p. per 5000 stack on alb. The pict camp is a part of the pictish invasion quest they drop some decent melee weapons. The quest might have ended or stopped I'm not 100% sure as to how its still running. Glad I Could help.

Cool thanks. I've played around in Cathal Valley and started to discover that bolts aren't as great as I originally thought :( I think I might make a new character on Midgard as that's what I played years ago, and it always feels like home.

I'm wondering if perhaps I might be better off just getting to 39, as Molvik seems easier to gear for compared to Cathal or level 50. I remember Thidranki being hugely popular but it doesn't appear to be any more.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bloodbath posted:

Cool thanks. I've played around in Cathal Valley and started to discover that bolts aren't as great as I originally thought :( I think I might make a new character on Midgard as that's what I played years ago, and it always feels like home.

I'm wondering if perhaps I might be better off just getting to 39, as Molvik seems easier to gear for compared to Cathal or level 50. I remember Thidranki being hugely popular but it doesn't appear to be any more.

The eld bolts don't really have the damage as a wizard bolt due to most earth wizards being able to debuff their own damage. ( Matter for earth spec wizards ) I would give the other lines a shot I believe it's moon/sun spec would be better. You get a lot more utility ( Nearsight, AOE Disease, AOE Snare ) If you want to stay void, you can definitely work with another hib caster and debuff energy for them should help you drop things quicker.

The real key to RVR and successful RVR at that is having casters debuff damage types of other casters, using nearsight/disease, and interruption. CC at this point really isn't as "big" of a deal as it once was.

ggschmitty
Jan 26, 2006
calling all forest friends for a game of touch tail

nousername posted:

In on Antilash and Garbagetruck - hibernia (on ywain)

me and lash are running a hib stealther duo and everyone should make rangers/nightshades to join us!

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

"I WILL DEVOUR 100 GENERATIONS OF YOUR FAMILY!"

ggschmitty posted:

me and lash are running a hib stealther duo and everyone should make rangers/nightshades to join us!

50s or 39s?

ggschmitty
Jan 26, 2006
50s

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

What sites do you guys recommend for quest info, etc? I've got a Spiritmaster up to 37 and want to explore SI, Atlantis, Catacombs etc etc etc as I haven't seen a lot of them in the past, but the ingame maps are quite shite.

Also do people still use custom UIs?

nousername
Mar 1, 2005
mainliner

ggschmitty posted:

You all should do it it's super fun!

In regards to the post above mine:

http://www.postcount.net/forum/showthread.php?24-UI-s-Programs-And-More

try there I think those UI's are all updated and they have some other links to stuff you might be interested in under that.

matthew j
Nov 29, 2009

do work son.
I think I'm going to try out that free trial, based on what's being said here. I have some fantastic memories from playing this game 10 years ago. What're the hardware specifications like? I can run Rift on my laptop if the settings are set pretty low...how demanding is DAoC?

ggschmitty
Jan 26, 2006
I can't imagine that you would have any problems. you could always run classic models if you can't handle the catacombs ones

unrelated, here are some cult pictures! woo

i'm not sure I did anything other than die

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK

ggschmitty posted:

i'm not sure I did anything other than die

We ride together, we die together. Bad Hibs for life.

Snaxxor
Jan 18, 2005

cool giraffe with
cool sunglasses
Anyone still playing Hib? Thinking of reactivating, I have everything and a bot account....

Woodhouse
Aug 1, 2010

Tell me, Aldo, if I were sitting where you're sitting, would you show me mercy?
Er, I didnt see an Uthgard forum so I figure I'll post here.

I'm rolling an 8 man with some old Mordred friends and we need some fillers for Zerk/Aug Healer if anyone's is interested.

Here is the post on the forums if anyone is interested:

http://uthgard.net/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=29583

Who knows, maybe some of you goons are old DAoC friends and I'm taking a stab in the dark.

nousername
Mar 1, 2005
mainliner

Snaxxor posted:

Anyone still playing Hib? Thinking of reactivating, I have everything and a bot account....

Schepps and I are playing stealthers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK
Are they just never going to do that Come Back To Camelot free two weeks ever again? I used to be able to do that every couple months.

• Locked thread