Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hasters posted:

I hope so, it's about time the franchise made good on it's faux progressivism.

Star Trek called capitalism barbaric at the height of the cold war. A black guy disagrees with Spock and is right at the same time that racists are blowing up black churches in Mississippi.

Star Trek is hardcore, except for its hilariously over-the-top sexism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CPFortest posted:

Showing a white guy, even if he's an alien, in a romantic relationship with a black woman is pretty progressive for Hollywood.

To break the kinds of barriers that TOS did, it would've been a transgender Muslim and a Chinese man.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Yeah, everyone remembers the Kirk-Uhura kiss, but its easy to forget that it was shown on national prime-time television in an era where doing so could very easily get you killed in many parts of the US. There was also the one episode of DS9 with Dax's past wife that pissed off a lot of stupid people.

Jack Gladney posted:

Star Trek is hardcore, except for its hilariously over-the-top sexism.

On a related note, there's apparently an interview with Nichelle Nichols floating around somewhere where she reveals that - despite the common knowledge of Gene being a comically persistent lecher - the infamous barely-rear end-covering miniskirts were the female cast's idea, not his.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

McSpanky posted:

To break the kinds of barriers that TOS did, it would've been a transgender Muslim and a Chinese man.

Nah, just have Kirk be gay. A mainstream series gay protagonist -let alone one from a popular science fiction franchise - is something that still hasn't been done yet.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Guess you haven't seen Torchwood.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Guess you haven't seen Torchwood.

NO ONE SHOULD SEE TORCHWOOD

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Everyone should watch Torchwood: Children of Earth. But I've only watched that and a bit of Miracle Day, and I'm fine not voyaging further.

Seriously, though, Children of Earth is fantastic and works just fine as a standalone miniseries.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 24, 2013

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

That is perfect for 1960s Star Trek.

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory

I saw this and immediately burst out laughing.

Holy poo poo, who came up with that costume? That's like a bad online costume store's "sexy cyberman".

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Jack Gladney posted:

In the only episode of Smallville I've ever seen, Clark Kent drives somewhere while listening to the radio. He visibly rocks out to a song placed into the episode for cross-platform marketing. The song mentions Superman and Lois Lane by name repeatedly, and young Superman reacts not at all.

I hope that Spock listens to "Interplanetary" in the next one.
So when Kirk sings along to Sabotage, how does he pronounce "sabotage?"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ash1138 posted:

Though he loved the song as a boy, now that he's grown he can no longer stand to hear it...it sickens him.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Ash1138 posted:

Oh my god, I'd forgotten about that story. Now the song being in the movie just seems like an epic troll on Shatner.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Suddenly, I like the choice of song :)

Wrt. my previous controversial statements about the Beastie Boys: I dunno, I guess they're a decent band. But here, they're used as a Sign for Rebellious Music, and that doesn't suit any song.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

How sad for Sabotage not to make you feel rebellious.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The song by itself, a different beast. In the context of a film scene that to me screams "Rebellious Youth!" way too try-hard, nah.

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 24, 2013

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
http://www.totalfilm.com/news/mark-wahlberg-reveals-that-he-was-almost-cast-in-star-trek

"James...I was yo father...almost."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
"Say hi to your mother for me."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Instead we got Thor.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

You mean the Avengers recruited George Kirk, a true hero.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

bobkatt013 posted:

Instead we got Thor.

Ramming your ship into a giant space acorn to save dozens of people does seem like a surefire way of landing a spot in valhalla.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

AlternateAccount posted:

Oh my god, I'd forgotten about that story. Now the song being in the movie just seems like an epic troll on Shatner.

The choice was intentional. They (ILM crew) mentioned it at a SIGGRAPH panel on the movie; apparently everyone working on the film, including Abrams, knew about lots of really obscure Trek stuff.

Also, the panel began with a clip of the Gorn fight, which was great.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Goreld posted:

The choice was intentional. They (ILM crew) mentioned it at a SIGGRAPH panel on the movie; apparently everyone working on the film, including Abrams, knew about lots of really obscure Trek stuff.

So, for folks who aren't in the know, what's the deal with Shatner and Sabotage?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Error 404 posted:

So, for folks who aren't in the know, what's the deal with Shatner and Sabotage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I can see Mark Wahlberg doing a good Kirk Senior. Like his stuff in that last Oscar winning movie he did, I forgot, the Scorsese one. "Dive in head-first", yes.

Goreld posted:

Oh hell. That's just good.
I'm definitely on board with the choice of music now.

"It's Sawbotage!"

Also, Abrams being a Trek nerd is good and not unexpected when you consider the movie he made.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mr. stefan posted:

Ramming your ship into a giant space acorn to save dozens of people does seem like a surefire way of landing a spot in valhalla.

I guess we now know what God needed with a starship.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Cingulate posted:

Also, Abrams being a Trek nerd is good and not unexpected when you consider the movie he made.

Everything that I've heard is that Abrams wasn't a Trek nerd at all before he signed on to do the film. I'm sure he entrenched himself in the world after that, but I don't think you could call him a Trek nerd.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If he takes his work serious enough to only become a Trek nerd when he's called upon, that's probably even better. Cf. Nicholas Meyer

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
It took me forever to finally "get" this thread's title.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?
Is it bad that I want to see the gorn fight in a future Star Trek movie, provided there is one?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

SublimeDelusions posted:

Is it bad that I want to see the gorn fight in a future Star Trek movie, provided there is one?

Watch the Enterprise episode "In a Mirror, Darkly (Part 2)" if you wanna see a CGI Gorn kinda sorta fight Evil Captain Archer. That'll hold you over till then.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The new Star Trek game where you play as the reboot's Kirk and Spock has gorn as the main antagonist.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Star Trek Into Darkness UK release moved forward

This is becoming a really good marketing move. UK openings cost a pittance compared to US openings, but we speak english so the studios get a week of free internet publicity from a general viewing audience and increase hype for the US launch.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The MSJ posted:

The new Star Trek game where you play as the reboot's Kirk and Spock has gorn as the main antagonist.

So long as the final battle involves somehow fashioning a makeshift cannon out of bamboo I don't really care about anything leading up to it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

Everything that I've heard is that Abrams wasn't a Trek nerd at all before he signed on to do the film. I'm sure he entrenched himself in the world after that, but I don't think you could call him a Trek nerd.
Yeah. Everything I heard about this leading up to the flick was that he was a big Star Wars nerd, wasn't into Star Trek, and the way they finally convinced him was that he could fix what people didn't like about Trek by making it more like Wars.

It's Lindeloff who dug on Trek.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Some big spoilers from a partial preview screening in Brazil:

http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2013/03/earlier-release-dates-music-and-huge.html

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
I really like they they boot kirk down for loving up. Also more Pike is great.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Throb Robinson posted:

I really like they they boot kirk down for loving up. Also more Pike is great.

Oh man, that second sentence makes me so happy.

That website posted:

Spock beams in to chase Harrison; they then go through several buildings and eventually end up fighting on top of ships flying around the city.

What the gently caress? Nothing in that list of spoilers sounds very good except for the bit quoted above. :\

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 8, 2013

shdwdmg
May 16, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

Oh man, that second sentence makes me so happy.

What the gently caress? Nothing in that list of spoilers sounds very good except for the bit quoted above. :\

There is a strong possibility that what was screened is only 1/4th of the total movie. Which means there is so much more to be excited about. Except Peter Weller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah, I get that people like a good foot chase in their action movies, but how do they get around the fact that they have transporters, and foot chases make absolutely no sense at all in Star Trek?

• Locked thread