Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
What I'd like to see is a full on remake of SMT1/2 that made them actually playable in this day and age. Better than then "Here's a port of a barely year old game with a teeny bit of extra content to what's effectively the same hardware platform $50 please".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

kirbysuperstar posted:

What I'd like to see is a full on remake of SMT1/2 that made them actually playable in this day and age. Better than then "Here's a port of a barely year old game with a teeny bit of extra content to what's effectively the same hardware platform $50 please".

Shin Megami Tensei 1 Re: Final Mix International Super Ultra Edition, now with voice acting and animated cutscenes! :v:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'd take total remakes from the ground up SMT 1 and 2 for modern consoles in lieu of new games, because they'd basically be new anyways.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Ports fund the development of those new games that you want. Making games is expensive stuff and only going to become more so in the coming years. :shrug:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Maybe if Catherine was more commercially successful, we'd all be playing p5 right now... :smith:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Maybe if Catherine was more commercially successful, we'd all be playing p5 right now... :smith:

I thought it was Atlus's most successful game thus far?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, to my knowledge Catherine was actually Atlus' biggest launch title, shipping about 200,000 copies if I remember correctly.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

tooooooo bad posted:

Ports fund the development of those new games that you want. Making games is expensive stuff and only going to become more so in the coming years. :shrug:

The handling of the Devil Survivor series is pretty ridiculous though, for real.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Oh, I heard that there's "visionary items" in the GBA versions of SMT 1 and 2 (I read the LP thread for SMT2).

Out of curiosity, has anyone translated all of them?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Maybe someone here can answer this question: Why are Shin Megami Tensei 1 and 2 on the itunes app store but only in japanese?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

They never got US releases.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

They never got US releases.

I know nothing about game localization so this is probably wrong as hell but how much text could there possibly be in a SNES rpg?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Len posted:

I know nothing about game localization so this is probably wrong as hell but how much text could there possibly be in a SNES rpg?

Uh, a fair bit?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Text is pretty small and easy to compress, especially Japanese text.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Len posted:

There's loads of text. Just play the fan translation, it is worth it.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Len posted:

Probably comparable to or slightly less than Nocturne. Each. They're not that different in length.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Len posted:

It's not like there was any technological limitation on the amount of text that could be stored. And SNES RPGs were up to the point in storytelling where there could be some really massive scripts.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Since the SNES version of SMTs 1 and 2 were fan translated, why not translate the GBA versions too? :confused:

Is it because of being busy?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The better question isn't 'why not' it's 'why', given that anyone who could run a GBA emulator could run an SNES one and it's seriously doubtful that all of the data in the GBA version is identical to the SNES one, meaning that they'd probably have to do coding on it as if it was an entirely new game.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Playable Jungo, make it happen, Atlus.

The cat

P3 got a playable dog, where is the playable cat Atlus?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, there's no simple way to do a romhack. There's a lot of really stupid bullshit you have to go through with cartridge based, low-res systems like SNES and GBA games just to get text in and displayed right. It would be a lot of work, and they'd rather spend that effort doing other games* than a port that is completely unnecessary. The only advantage to playing the GBA version is that you can play it on a DS Lite with some flash card combos.

* This would have been the reason back in the day. But now pretty much everyone who used to be involved in the fan translation boom of the early 2000s have pretty much moved on with their lives. The big SMT hacker, Gideon Zhi, is still active, but isn't nearly as prolific as he used to be, and still has a shitload of other projects to finish.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Yeah, there's no simple way to do a romhack. There's a lot of really stupid bullshit you have to go through with cartridge based, low-res systems like SNES and GBA games just to get text in and displayed right. It would be a lot of work, and they'd rather spend that effort doing other games* than a port that is completely unnecessary. The only advantage to playing the GBA version is that you can play it on a DS Lite with some flash card combos.

* This would have been the reason back in the day. But now pretty much everyone who used to be involved in the fan translation boom of the early 2000s have pretty much moved on with their lives. The big SMT hacker, Gideon Zhi, is still active, but isn't nearly as prolific as he used to be, and still has a shitload of other projects to finish.

Ohhh, ok. That makes a lot of sense. :)

Fan translating sounds really complicated! :stare:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Hacking in your own Word Wrap thing for the engine seems to be one of the hardest parts from what I've read.

At least with VN translations, but I'm sure the same applies to games.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

^^^^ PC game hacking is a lot easier, if only because the decompiled code is a lot easier to work with and there are more people familiar with PC code.

Booky posted:

Ohhh, ok. That makes a lot of sense. :)

Fan translating sounds really complicated! :stare:

Just ask the Let's Play mod, Slowbeef. He was a major programmer for the Policenauts translation. He had to do a lot of custom coding in machine language to get the thing to work properly. Disassembling a console game's code and modifying it is no easy task. The only reason there's a billion romhacks for popular games like SMW is because some people did all the hard work and made easy to use level editors.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 3, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dorroile posted:

So from what I've been hearing, the epilogues in DS:O are either not necessary or actively detrimental to the plot, and P4G has a character more terrible than the other P4 characters, right? And then considering stuff like The Answer...

What I'm saying is that i'm actually kind of nervous about this because i know they're going to mess things up. When it comes to Atlus, new content is usually not a good thing.

P4G adds loads of good stuff though, and the msot annoying part of that character is entirely optional. Before it gets to that point her S.Links are your whole party chilling which is cool to see more of.

Also it straight up adds a lot of extra days with more character development. P4Golden is really good!!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Hacking in your own Word Wrap thing for the engine seems to be one of the hardest parts from what I've read.

At least with VN translations, but I'm sure the same applies to games.

I remember the Mother 3 translation blog (still there, still interesting) and yeah, the word wrap was one of the big parts. There was also the issue of replacing a Japanese counting voice with an English one, but that's not exactly typical.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Goddamn, finally finished my max links/compendium run of P4G. Missed Margaret's dungeon on accident, only encountered the Reaper in Yukiko's dungeon, so I guess I'll go back for those trophies in ... a year or so.

I had huge issues with the pacing of P4's ending, and Marie's stuff helped both to pad and to clarify a lot of major elements. It's more coherent now, and I actually like it quite a bit. After her second or third link event you get why she is how she is and she's much more likeable, so if you were holding off on P4G because of her, don't worry about it.

burntnorton
Mar 6, 2006

ChaosArgate posted:

I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but Raidou Kuzunoha 1 is currently going for less than $30 (not including shipping) on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Megami-Tensei...=devil+summoner

Thanks for posting this, I jumped on this. Now if only Raidou 2 would follow suit.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Man, that first game is not worth $28. It's mediocre at best.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Yeah, it's probably the most horribly boring SMT game I've played. Everything from the plot to the fighting to the characters and atmosphere was just so... boring.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Raidou needs to be in more games.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The second game is significantly better in every possible way, except gameplay can still be kinda repetitive, but nowhere near as bad as the first game. If you ever get a chance, buy Raidou 2 instead.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I've only played the first (since Raidou 2 was never released in Europe) and thought it was fine.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

But it's REALLY not worth Ebay prices

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...
The biggest issue with the Raidou games is that they had a serious lack of budget. They were still using 2D backgrounds in 2006 and no voiceovers. It just couldn't compete with other better action games. Even Raidou 2 is still a step below stuff like Dark Cloud 2 or DMC at the time. The standards were way too high, it's no wonder they sold terribly. The only way they could afford a serious entry is if they prefaced it with a decently popular anime to take a risk like that.

Or they could hire Platinum, alternatively.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Eh, I don't mind lack of voices. I read faster than most VAs talk, so not having to wait for some bored guy to finish reading his line before moving on is a plus for me. That and tons of style in the art makes up for a lot. ...or I'm just a total sucker for the setting.

But most gamers disagree with me, which is why I'm sitting over here talking about Atlus games instead of Halo :v:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

MarsDragon posted:

Eh, I don't mind lack of voices. I read faster than most VAs talk, so not having to wait for some bored guy to finish reading his line before moving on is a plus for me. That and tons of style in the art makes up for a lot. ...or I'm just a total sucker for the setting.

But most gamers disagree with me, which is why I'm sitting over here talking about Atlus games instead of Halo :v:

That's a pretty lovely attitude to have about video games, man. You can have tons of style in setting and art and also be designed like a video game made after the PSX.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That's a pretty lovely attitude to have about video games, man. You can have tons of style in setting and art and also be designed like a video game made after the PSX.

Agreed. Not caring about voice acting is a super lovely attitude to have about video games! Also, somehow, the only difference between the PSX era and the PS2 era was the addition of voice acting.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TurnipFritter posted:

Agreed. Not caring about voice acting is a super lovely attitude to have about video games! Also, somehow, the only difference between the PSX era and the PS2 era was the addition of voice acting.

Yep, that's exactly what I meant. Thanks for getting it!

But, maybe it would be cool if they put a decent amount of money into spinoffs like Raidou. I mean, they proved they can do that and make it work with DDS, which was a much better experience as a game than Nocturne (Though I prefer the style and setting of Nocturne). I mean, playing through the first Raidou game it just feels super loving bare-bones like very little effort put into parts of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I remember that when Raidou 2 was released, Atlus said that the lack of voice acting was a stylistic choice to give the game a feeling of a old time movie. Probably bullshit of course, but it's a good reason of any.