Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Ronald Raiden posted:

What's up wrong the that.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

haskell has the nicest syntax of any language i've seen but maybe i'm biased since i use it a lot

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

yaoi prophet posted:

how many people are out there that think cobol is the best language

My uncle has said this to me once with no hint of irony in his voice.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Dr. Honked posted:

WELCOME.. TO THE COBOL GOLDMINE

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

sorry I know that I just got excited cuz I got to see a once-in-a-lifetime event like Haley's comet

is your problem with me, or that other people like me, or that no-one pays attention to you?

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

yaoi prophet posted:

haskell has the nicest syntax of any language i've seen but maybe i'm biased since i use it a lot

the indentation gets a little screwy don't you think?
For example the state monad from LYAH:

code:
instance Monad (State s) where  
    return x = State $ \s -> (x,s)  
    (State h) >>= f = State $ \s -> let (a, newState) = h s  
                                        (State g) = f a  
                                    in  g newState  
it's kind of annoying that everything after the let block has to be indented way the gently caress out there, I don't know though I haven't done much haskell maybe you could clean that poo poo up by putting the let on a new line.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

yeah that works

code:
instance Monad (State s) where  
    return x = State $ \s -> (x,s)  
    (State h) >>= f = State $ \s ->
        let (a, newState) = h s  
            (State g) = f a  
        in  g newState  

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
if i wanted to read comments from butthurt programmers about me i'd check reddit

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

eh, all the ml family has decent syntax

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

yaoi prophet posted:

stuff like f Prelude.. g is a bit weird imo

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

ghci> data Prelude = Prelude Int deriving Show
ghci> Prelude . succ $ 42
Prelude 43
ghci> Prelude.succ $ 42

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

tef posted:

is your problem with me, or that other people like me, or that no-one pays attention to you?

you have to admit, you're not a funny-hat, clown-pants, wocka-wocka kind of guy

p.s. this is not an insult

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

rust has the best syntax imo

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Phone posted:

all of the people who make decisions at companies who currently hold your 401k or ira

the only thing worse than cobol is migrating away from cobol

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

I should check out rust but every time I try I get misdirected to some other PL with a short name that I can't remember right now

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

Vanadium posted:

ghci> data Prelude = Prelude Int deriving Show
ghci> Prelude . succ $ 42
Prelude 43
ghci> Prelude.succ $ 42

actually I'm curious how many people think this is a bad thing or confusing?

because there's a few other common ways people want this sort of thing. like to allow dash-in-identifiers, despite subtraction.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Win8 Hetro Experie posted:

I should check out rust but every time I try I get misdirected to some other PL with a short name that I can't remember right now

probably go, a c for the modern age

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

tef posted:

you're ugly and you smell funny

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011

dart? i can't even keep track of these new languages anymore.

(and yet somehow no-one has managed to make a decent c++ replacement even though c++ is shockingly terrible)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Police Academy III posted:

decent c++ replacement
:rolleyes:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
yes please lets talk about c++ for the next twenty pages that sounds like an excellent idea

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Police Academy III posted:

dart? i can't even keep track of these new languages anymore.

it's this most likely, both are 4 characters long and have 2 letters in common

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
lets argue about these p langs http://www.pltgames.com/

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

it's this most likely, both are 4 characters long and have 2 letters in common

maybe clay

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

tef posted:

if i wanted to read comments from butthurt programmers about me i'd check reddit

which one of you here submitted it

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
COBOL is a business-oriented language and was designed to facilitate the sorts of processes that you want to implement. People find COBOL easy to pick up. It's got relatively few constructs and is straight forward. Perhaps even more importantly, COBOL is a very efficient language. When you've got custodians running large numbers of transactions, performance throughput is important and Cobol fits the bill very well.

COBOL applications tend to be optimized for throughput. Batch processing large amounts of data is where COBOL really shines. Java applications are somewhat harder to optimize for throughput because of the tendency to have more infrastructure layers between the program and the "metal" which adds processing drag. Big business/government have a lot of data to push through their systems and throughput is essential.

What has to happen though is for the development community world-wide to realize what a valuable asset it has in all this COBOL code floating around the world and what a versatile language COBOL really is. Companies have invested billions of dollars in these systems. They’ve spent years tweaking, tuning, refining the logic to do just what they need. Then someone says “COBOL ain’t cool” and they look at getting rid of it. Why? Let’s wake up and realize the enormous economic investment that has been made of COBOL and instead of trying to replace it, let’s help make it do even more. Look at new platforms for performance gains, look at new frameworks such as .NET for interaction but let COBOL keep doing the job it’s been designed for…making money!

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
wake up and smell the.. eeegh

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
gonna say this again, someone pm duckmonster in here to talk about cobol, tell him to irony defend it if you want

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Toady posted:

which one of you here submitted it

sulk i bet

Bream
Feb 3, 2013

Farmer's Barket
Here is my impression of the PL thread:

OUR PLAYERS:
DENNIS, a research geologist working in Antarctica.
LARRY, an "in-house" developer who creates LoB/BL/dashboards for agribusiness in Oklahoma.
CLIFF, a 16-year old kid who wants to learn to mod FPSes in New Jersey.
SIMON, a CS postdoc in Northern California.
DAVID, a web developer in Seattle.

CLIFF: Guys wat do u recommend? The wether says its gonna be hot today, not sure if I should wear my uni blazer or just a shirt.
LARRY: I reckon that if you step out the front door without a good hat, that durn sun's gonna blind you lickety-split.
DAVID: Please, LARRY, nobody uses hats any more. They may have been fine for the stone age or whatever before people knew any better. Now we just leverage syncup and hold our hands over each other's eyes. Sometimes, if I want to be close to the fashion, I'll drop down to a visor. Besides, check my habhub for a pattern that proves that gloves are faster than hats.
CLIFF: So ur saying I should take a hat? My skool doesn't allow us to wear hats in uniform.
SIMON: Lockstitch rivet selvedge empire darting. Heat-fused synthetics seem kinda cool, but I haven't had that much time to get into it. Thinking about exploring nudism too. So sick of togas.
DENNIS: If you don't wear at least three layers every time you exit the compound, you will literally die. A leopard seal will rend the frozen flesh from your popsicle bones.
DAVID: Hey DENNIS, if you have to wear more than a slicker, you obviously don't know what you're doing.
LARRY: What's a slicker?
DAVID: The only garment anyone should ever need if they actually want to get things done while it's raining.
SIMON: Oh, I don't know. It doesn't rain here that often, and if it looks like it might, I can always just use an umbrella.
DAVID, LARRY: An umbrella? Why would anyone want to use a manual umbrella?
LARRY: Try holding on to an umbrella with one hand and ropin' a calf with the other, see if a dust devil don't pick you up and set you down face-first on a saguaro.
DAVID: I cannot imagine why anyone would ever use an umbrella. That's what the magic garment manufacturers are for. Do you sew together your furs with catgut and a whalebone needle too?
DENNIS: Actually, seal fur is pretty warm...
CLIFF: Guys its not even rainning this week.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Dr. Honked posted:

i don't know but they all smell bad
they chain smoke

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Phone posted:

just in case any of you were wondering, cobol has no intrinsic absolute value function
name a business activity where you would ever need one

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Gazpacho posted:

they chain smoke

yep. when i met rotor I held out on smoking around him for a few hours but eventually cracked and oh god i couldn't stop

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Gazpacho posted:

Companies have invested billions of dollars in these systems.

only reason why cobol is still around

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
YOSPOS: If you don't wear at least three layers every time you exit the compound, you will literally die. A leopard seal will rend the frozen flesh from your popsicle bones.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
just watched an hour of tef talking without realizing it was tef

thanks, reddit

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Bream posted:

LARRY: What's a slicker?
DAVID: The only garment anyone should ever need if they actually want to get things done while it's raining.
fake, nobody wears rain gear in seattle except paid outdoor workers and children

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

im writing a thing which as of right now utilizes rethinkdb. im gay.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

ymgve posted:

just watched an hour of tef talking without realizing it was tef

thanks, reddit

wait is that actually tef? i saw "Programming is terrible" as a reddit headline and decided there was no way it was actually anything worthwhile because reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bream
Feb 3, 2013

Farmer's Barket

ultramiraculous posted:

wait is that actually tef? i saw "Programming is terrible" as a reddit headline and decided there was no way it was actually anything worthwhile because reddit.

Oh man, that thread... tef, you deserve a medal for even attempting to be civil with that crowd.