Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

USS Enterprise JFAZW. It's the 4,201,337th ship to bear the name.

http://www.jfazw.com/comics.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008
In Star Trek 6 Captain Kirk is fighting a big monster. McCoy says "that's it Jim, you've got him where you want him" and then the monster throws Captain Kirk into a pile of burning trash.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Art Alexakis posted:

In Star Trek 6 Captain Kirk is fighting a big monster. McCoy says "that's it Jim, you've got him where you want him" and then the monster throws Captain Kirk into a pile of burning trash.

It's the bedside manner speaking.

MisterFusion
Mar 8, 2010
New image from the movie of Uhura http://i.imgur.com/aaaJg1O.jpg Is that a Klingon disruptor?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I would say so. It's got the right curves to it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I wonder if Benedict Cumberbatch is a Klingon disguised as human to infultrate Star Fleet. It would make him sort of like an Augment while not rehashing it, and bring the Klingon's back in a big way.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

bobkatt013 posted:

I wonder if Benedict Cumberbatch is a Klingon disguised as human to infultrate Star Fleet. It would make him sort of like an Augment while not rehashing it, and bring the Klingon's back in a big way.

That would be :krad: and better than just doing Khan again

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

bobkatt013 posted:

You aren't the only person thinking of that. So much so that I actually had a theory that its the guy from Trouble with Tribbles.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cellophane S posted:

That would be :krad: and better than just doing Khan again

Which means you know it's just going to be Khan again. Or maybe some weird hybrid of Khan and Gary Mitchell who is functionally identical to both just so they can say ":smug: see you thought we'd do Khan but we "didn't" :smug:"

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

No, no. The guy from Trouble with Tribbles is a Jew. Did you not see Trials and Tribbleations? He's no goy.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

mind the walrus posted:

Which means you know it's just going to be Khan again. Or maybe some weird hybrid of Khan and Gary Mitchell who is functionally identical to both just so they can say ":smug: see you thought we'd do Khan but we "didn't" :smug:"
Honestly the other leading theory I have is that he has more to do with Julian Bashir than Khan.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

No, no. The guy from Trouble with Tribbles is a Jew. Did you not see Trials and Tribbleations? He's no goy.

Finally, Jews in Space makes it back to the big screen.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Geekboy posted:

I would be fine with them blowing it up if they replaced it with the one from Star Trek 1-6. That is the bestest version of the Enterprise anyway . . .

Which one? The one from 1-3 or the one from 4-6?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I loved him in that episode but he is the Jewiest Klingon ever.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Barudak posted:

Finally, Jews in Space makes it back to the big screen.

Other space jews of note include Shatner, Nimoy. The new movies seem a lot WASP-ier in comparison. Khan has always been the only Mexican that the Man let into space.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Oh, there's plenty of Mexicans in space. They're just all undocumented :v:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

Which one? The one from 1-3 or the one from 4-6?

4-6 Naturally. Those Nacelles :allears:

I like the theory about augments, but honestly while I don't dislike JJTrek I have very little faith in JJ&Co. using the established Trek canon to good effect after ST09. They know enough to make the new movies fun and dynamic, so that's what I expect, but I do not expect anything clever or innovative like that. I would honestly bet money that if "John Harrison" or whatever really is just a new character made of slapped together Augment, Gary Mitchell, and Khan plotlines the people who came up with it thought they were being genuinely clever and that what they were doing was somehow new and unexpected.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MisterFusion posted:

New image from the movie of Uhura http://i.imgur.com/aaaJg1O.jpg Is that a Klingon disruptor?

So what is Uhura's role now? Judging by the trailers, she has some from someone who translates alien languages, to some sort of combat special ops role. Her character is so completely random.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I said come in! posted:

So what is Uhura's role now? Judging by the trailers, she has some from someone who translates alien languages, to some sort of combat special ops role. Her character is so completely random.

The one recurrent action lead with a vagina. The rest are pesky details that merchandising and the script doctors sort out.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Hmm yeah that Star Trek has no history of putting their leads into combat situations. Sure never see a translator, or a navigator, or a counselor, or a scientist, or a doctor, or a captain, or an alien bartender, or a child, or a robot fighting bad guys. No sir. Not My Trek.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Well, that alien barber was actually also the human captain.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

NOT MY TREK.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Is that Jeffrey Combs in the sweet smoking jacket?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

What? No. Those are the Sons of Keldar! :black101:

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

NOT MY TREK.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Parachute posted:

Is that Jeffrey Combs in the sweet smoking jacket?

Nah. L-R: Max Grodenchik, Armin Shimerman, Aron Eisenberg.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Timby posted:

Nah. L-R: Max Grodenchik, Armin Shimerman, Aron Eisenberg.

You're wrong, Jeffrey Combs is such a talented actor, he was actually playing all three of them in that scene.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

penismightier posted:

NOT MY TREK.
To be fair, that's not really an action scene. There aren't any real shootouts in the TOS movies, aren't there? Just a bunch of mano a mano. Or rather, manomano a mano.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Cingulate posted:

To be fair, that's not really an action scene. There aren't any real shootouts in the TOS movies, aren't there? Just a bunch of mano a mano. Or rather, manomano a mano.

They never had good enough stunt choreography for shootouts.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My first instinct was to say I'm glad they didn't, but then I remembered the scene where Spock and Kirk buddy cop their way through Nero's Vagina Dentata is actually decent.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Cingulate posted:

My first instinct was to say I'm glad they didn't, but then I remembered the scene where Spock and Kirk buddy cop their way through Nero's Vagina Dentata is actually decent.

The phaser massacre in 6 is terrific too. Phaser fire in general was underused in the TOS films, and overused in the TNG ones which had those idiotic universal remote-looking guns.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

penismightier posted:

The phaser massacre in 6 is terrific too. Phaser fire in general was underused in the TOS films, and overused in the TNG ones which had those idiotic universal remote-looking guns.
Also the firefight in ST V. Well as an example of a firefight, not as a good one.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ash1138 posted:

Also the firefight in ST V. Well as an example of a firefight, not as a good one.

Spock neckpinched a horse, shut your blasphemous mouth.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

McSpanky posted:

Spock neckpinched a horse, shut your blasphemous mouth.
While the idiot rider did nothing.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
The speculation over in the other (better) Trek thread is that Cumberbatch's character might be a part of or even trying to root out Section 31. Mind you, these are the fevered imaginings of die hard fans who still rewatch the old shows regularly, so I'm not holding my breath, but it would be an amazing use of Star Trek history.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

bobkatt013 posted:

I was thinking this after seeing the new trailer. In particular, this part:
here

And wondering... what the hell is up with his eyebrows? At first glance it looked like botched botox stuff, but there's two or three sets of faint ridges near his eyebrows. If they went that direction it would even possibly tie in with the weird 'smooth brows are a Klingon disease' storyline from I think Enterprise?

Or maybe I'm seeing human facial muscles and wayyyyyy overthinking this.

Goreld fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 26, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

In the last movie Sulu pulled a future sword out of his rear end for an action scene and this is what bothers you? Someone going to/who graduated from military academy using a gun?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Goreld posted:

I was thinking this after seeing the new trailer. In particular, this part:
here

And wondering... what the hell is up with his eyebrows? At first glance it looked like botched botox stuff, but there's two or three sets of faint ridges near his eyebrows. If they went that direction it would even possibly tie in with the weird 'smooth brows are a Klingon disease' storyline from I think Enterprise?

Or maybe I'm seeing human facial muscles and wayyyyyy overthinking this.

Its also he just doesn't look human. There is just something off about him.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Maybe Klingons in this movie look like Klingons from TOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

Maybe Klingons in this movie look like Klingons from TOS.

No enough blackface.

• Locked thread