Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

SAHChandler posted:

In bad company 2, when a friendly was darted, an enemy could lock onto them with the Gustav or RPG. A better way to grief wookies in BC2 was to go Assault with the smoke grenade launcher, find your useless teammate and then start popping smoke forever (because assault was the ammo class). Sometimes they would get the hint and move up, most times they would type angrily into chat that you were literally worse than hitler.

My favorite is when they pull out the old "But you're being just as useless as me!" argument in an attempt to make you look like the rear end in a top hat. Then you just shoot a smoke grenade directly into their face.

Also, whenever lazy snipers were taking cover in buildings, I'd just run around with C4 and destroy the whole building. Even if the building didn't collapse, killing all the snipers inside, it would ruin their cover and make them really obviously exposed to enemy fire. Bad Company 2 was the best :allears:

Also, in Battlefield 3, walking around in front of snipers with a bigass flashlight pointing directly at their faces, blinding them, was super fun. Or just throwing ammunition boxes down in front of them so they can't see past it. Or shooting right over their head in hardcore mode, which suppresses them (and makes their aim suck).

One of my favorite things to do is, on servers with friendly fire enabled, you sit a ways away and just peg them in the rear end with a revolver. It will do a fair amount of damage (enough that any other shot from almost any other gun will kill them in one hit, now) and the only way for them to heal up is to find a medic. And since they are out in the middle of nowhere, that means they have to run for a long ways. Snipers will get super pissed at this and occasionally blame the guy nearest to them for friendly firing. If I say something like "Sniper X, I just saw Sniper Y shoot you in the rear end, wtf is going on stop FFing each other" they'll occasionally start killing each other, as I just watch and giggle. If I feel like being a hero, I'll run in with a shotgun and gun them both down, while shouting, "Come on you guys, the enemy is OUT THERE! We can't fight among ourselves, that's exactly what the Russians want us to do." Of course they just get madder and madder about this, until they start trying to kill me, and then I yell "WOAH, SNIPERS ARE TKING WATCH OUT GUYS" and then it's just a civil war of every non-sniper versus every sniper on the team. Guess who wins those fights :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SpookyLizard posted:

I meant specifically griefing. There's a recruitment n thread in MMO HMO regularly, but Games are public, so you can't necessarily post the best stories because you might reveal some critical info or something, or have a characters name get out and ruin their ability to run future scams and stuff.

It's a loving video game, what's the point of griefing if you can't even tell anyone about it?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

It's a loving video game, what's the point of griefing if you can't even tell anyone about it?

Because they do tell other people about. There's a whole subforum dedicated to scam stories and hatemails/killmails on the gsf forums. Maybe I'm just giving pubbies too much credit to hunt down free information but I'm the paranoid sort at times I guess?

Here's a story that got published up on The Mittani.com

From themittani.com posted:

In EVE Online, the female population makes up only five percent of all accounts (in theory). Some women hide their gender through voice modification or by simply not speaking on comms. Some are vocal about their gender. Some use their gender to their advantage. In EVE, with all the metagaming that goes on, any advantage you have over others can reap huge rewards.

Enter Tamzin. She has been having some fun running scams and corp thefts. On the heels of a low-sec corp takeover heist, where she was made CEO, kicked everyone, and took the assets, she broke into the big time. Kenshin, a fifty-person corp, from a minor alliance (Space Mongolians) in Geminate invited her to join their corporation. The CEO was clear with her that she would not be able to manipulate him and she would not be able to rob the corp.

More in the article itself. In short, after being explicitly told that this girl would try to scam him, some pubbie invites a girl to his corp because she's a girl and he's a nerd. Whereupon in short order she 'seduces' him and he gives her roles in his corp, she kicks everyone out, steals 50bn worth of poo poo .

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
It's been years since this EVE grief was posted so I think it's okay because

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I forget exactly why they decided to antagonize this one corp, but they found out one of the big guys within it had a death in the family. As the story went, his son ( Smokse, in game ) was high and decided that riding a scooter on the autobahn was a great idea. Unfortunately he failed to dodge the grill of a semi-truck. His father in turn named a space station after his dead son. A light clicked in Remedial and FNLN's head, and they waited until they saw his father idling in the space station named after his son.

They then undocked in a frigate and a large hauler ship. The hauler was named 'Truck Beep Beep' and the frigate was named 'Smokse fused with scooter'. Just outside the station, Remedial kept ramming the frigate over and over again while they chatted in local chat.

"OH GOD SAVE ME DAD OH HELP OH GOD THE BLOOD." FNLN would say.
"BEEP. BEEP BEEP BEEP. BEEEEEEEEP." Remedial would say as he rammed the ship over and over again.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Note that Remedial is no longer in Goonfleet, and last I heard he was facing a million dollar fine for unlicensed mortgage readjustments.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Handgun Harlot posted:

Apparently goons ran this into the ground and people were getting suspended or banned for even mentioning Smokse. But that guy and his dad were in BoB so gently caress 'em.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

SpookyLizard posted:

Apparently goons ran this into the ground and people were getting suspended or banned for even mentioning Smokse. But that guy and his dad were in BoB so gently caress 'em.

I don't know anything about EVE except what I read here, which is why I like this story: it's not really about EVE, it could happen in any game. It's the total lack of mercy that we have for anyone who opposes us. :allears:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Tulip posted:

It's not really about OPSEC, it's about the fact that it would completely take over everything about the thread. Like here's a classic from James315's history. It's a little long but it's kind of an amazing payoff. His ongoing griefing involves hundreds of people in dedicated griefer squads and an entire website documenting it.

So did he give it all back? The link is dead.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Phobophilia posted:

Note that Remedial is no longer in Goonfleet, and last I heard he was facing a million dollar fine for unlicensed mortgage readjustments.

He thumbed his nose at the court, said ""It's not going to happen [paying the fine]" "Number one, I don't have a half a million dollars or whatever to pay" and joined the Army. I hear he posts in GiP now.

Spooky: What's next, you're going to tell Mittani he can't post his supercap scams on TheMittani.com? I get the feeling you're just a line-member making up rules on your own. Stop that. There's nothing OPSEC about posting completed scams.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Handgun Harlot posted:

I don't know anything about EVE except what I read here, which is why I like this story: it's not really about EVE, it could happen in any game. It's the total lack of mercy that we have for anyone who opposes us. :allears:

It's also from the time the Goons were the uppity underdog of EVE and EVE was dominated by Band of Brothers. In the end, after years of space war, we managed to turn the CEO of BoB and he defected with a pile of poo poo and disbanded BoB, which basically dismantled all of their space stations and poo poo and caused some serious havoc and grief.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Is the goonswarm using masses of Dust 514-playing goons to further its objectives? I probably don't have the patience for EVE but I like the idea of shooting at other people's precious stuff and winning planets for goon glory.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Chamale posted:

Is the goonswarm using masses of Dust 514-playing goons to further its objectives? I probably don't have the patience for EVE but I like the idea of shooting at other people's precious stuff and winning planets for goon glory.

Dust has sweet gently caress all impact on Eve at the moment, so no. There is a goon group playing though that you can find in the thread in games.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Soulex posted:

So did he give it all back? The link is dead.

Hm i forgot to check that, i just went with the most readable version of that story i could find. This work links.

Though if you want to understand the true depth of the trolling this man caused, i found these links via bitcoiners. His story strikes fear into the hearts of all who work with fake currencies.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

SAHChandler posted:

In bad company 2, when a friendly was darted, an enemy could lock onto them with the Gustav or RPG. A better way to grief wookies in BC2 was to go Assault with the smoke grenade launcher, find your useless teammate and then start popping smoke forever (because assault was the ammo class). Sometimes they would get the hint and move up, most times they would type angrily into chat that you were literally worse than hitler.

I won several games of BC2 by doing this. Some of the collection of half a dozen (or more) useless wookies would ragequit and open up slots for useful players. Sometimes it was enough to turn the round around and win.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
I love wookies. I would go wook and just lay in front of them, facing them. STARING CONTEST

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Theres another Goon corp made in Dust 514, Immobile Infantry. Theyve been running ads on SA. Right now there isnt anything really tied to EVE. Dust is in Beta and theyre slowly integrating it into EVE. Eventually its supposed to be fully connected and planetary battles will be influenced by space stuff and vice versa, and eventually Dust's economy will be just like Eves. There is no real knowledge as to how muh a corp in space can affect ground battles, though i think it will mostly be limited to Corp Battles (there are also regular, randoms vs randoms battles). With any luck goons will be able to use our massive wealth to commit more clones to a battle, lettin us win through our usual war of attrition tactics.

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD

Handgun Harlot posted:

It wasn't remedial, it was dungar, and also it was 'smoskefusedwithbike'

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Since we're on EVE I guess this would be a good time to ask for a certain story that I can't find anymore. It obviously involved a guy and some big, long con and at one point another player asked to phone him for some reason. Instead of giving away his house/mobile number he gave the number of his local library or some poo poo and had to sprint down there to answer the call in order to keep the con going.

Any help with this one?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I remember that one and I think I read it on some other site rather than in this thread. Beyond that I can't help- it was great though. It was the first EVE scam I ever read, I think.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Lugaloco posted:

Since we're on EVE I guess this would be a good time to ask for a certain story that I can't find anymore. It obviously involved a guy and some big, long con and at one point another player asked to phone him for some reason. Instead of giving away his house/mobile number he gave the number of his local library or some poo poo and had to sprint down there to answer the call in order to keep the con going.

Any help with this one?

I think I know what one you're talking about. You'll need to dig back some/use google, as I'm fairly certain it was a guy who ended up scamming a shitload of investors out of one of he first BPOs for some new class of ship/never before built class of ships. He ends up stealing their money/ or selling it/something for billions and billions of isk or something like that. He ended up sneakily creating a new character and setting it up with his ill gotten gains and immediately lost interest in the game because he 'won' it.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Pretty sure it's this one.

http://www.wirm.net/nightfreeze/part1.html

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It's the one I'm thinking of.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
If we're talking EVE scams, I once scammed a guy out of 80 billion isk, worth around $2500. Here is a thread about it: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=18037

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Good Lord. A guy in my area is possibly going to be jailed for stealing a 300$ runescape hat, albeit they met IRL and he hit the dude in the face and ran. Im mobile and not able to read the whole thread, but did the scamee post in there?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Good Lord. A guy in my area is possibly going to be jailed for stealing a 300$ runescape hat, albeit they met IRL and he hit the dude in the face and ran. Im mobile and not able to read the whole thread, but did the scamee post in there?

I imagine that he's probably going to jail more for the assault and battery than for stealing the virtual item

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

QuarkJets posted:

I imagine that he's probably going to jail more for the assault and battery than for stealing the virtual item

At least no one will mess with him in prison when they find out he's in for virtual hat theft.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Good Lord. A guy in my area is possibly going to be jailed for stealing a 300$ runescape hat, albeit they met IRL and he hit the dude in the face and ran.

How do you steal a virtual hat by punching a dude and running away?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

You have to punch really hard, and hope RNG gives you the item drop.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Lutha Mahtin posted:

You gotta make sure he attacks you first so he gets flagged for PVP so all his items drop when he goes down.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
This is word of mouth info, so no guarantee this is real Apparently they met in an internet cafe. The guy traded the hat and was asking for cash, then the other guy just packs up and leaves. The scamee follows, the guy clocks him and bails.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zaodai posted:

At least no one will mess with him in prison when they find out he's in for virtual hat theft.

Valve would have to run some kind of Johnny English style prison, if this were a real crime.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Orv posted:

Valve would have to run some kind of Johnny English style prison, if this were a real crime.

All those hours of playing Jailbreak will finally pay off!

SneakySnake
Feb 5, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It's ok to make fun of dead people except for Vilerat that's crossing the line.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."
^^^Can't say that wasn't deserved. I just wonder what the gently caress you were thinking when you hit that submit button.

QuarkJets posted:

Is there an article on this somewhere? This whole situation sounds hilarious.

Nerolus fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 27, 2013

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Nerolus posted:

^^^Can't say that wasn't deserved. I just wonder what the gently caress you were thinking when you hit that submit button.

That being said, I've always thought "making fun of dead relatives" kind of crosses some sort of line when trolling. I personally cringed when I read the story about how they griefed the dad about his dead son.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

robodex posted:

That being said, I've always thought "making fun of dead relatives" kind of crosses some sort of line when trolling. I personally cringed when I read the story about how they griefed the dad about his dead son.

Agreed. Like someone could say "Oh well it was their fault for doing Xyz in a game like this" but that just makes it sound worse for the side saying that.

This person we don't like in a game might have done something not entirely thought-out after their son was killed in an accident, we should go and be assholes about it. :confused:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I've only played Eve sparingly, but is it possible to "steal" money back? Like say I give you 1 billion Isk and you run off with it. Can I kill you and get it back or hack your bank or whatever? Or is there no way for me to legitimately get the money back other than blowing up your poo poo and making you pay to replace it?

I'm not saying there should be kid gloves on scams, but there should be SOME way to track down a thief and get it back.

Also these Eve scams with the ponzi schemes...how are those any different than real legitimate businesses int he real world>?:)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jastiger posted:

Also these Eve scams with the ponzi schemes...how are those any different than real legitimate businesses int he real world>?:)

They're not. There's actually some places where the executives play EVE when they have some spare time and use it as job credentials later.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Jastiger posted:

I've only played Eve sparingly, but is it possible to "steal" money back? Like say I give you 1 billion Isk and you run off with it. Can I kill you and get it back or hack your bank or whatever? Or is there no way for me to legitimately get the money back other than blowing up your poo poo and making you pay to replace it?

I'm not saying there should be kid gloves on scams, but there should be SOME way to track down a thief and get it back.

Destroy a ship, and half of it becomes ruins and the other half drops as salvage. But no, there's no way to beat money out of people--just as well. Imagine trying to get started in the game if a larger guild could roll in, use it's superior numbers/equipment to win a confrontation, and simply take all of your money. There would be one guild and a server full of victims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Mystic Mongol posted:

Destroy a ship, and half of it becomes ruins and the other half drops as salvage. But no, there's no way to beat money out of people--just as well. Imagine trying to get started in the game if a larger guild could roll in, use it's superior numbers/equipment to win a confrontation, and simply take all of your money. There would be one guild and a server full of victims.

You hean EVE vs. Goonswarm?

• Locked thread