Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ponzicar posted:

That's a common problem in a ton of pc games. I don't know if it's for technical reasons, or is part of a common design philosophy, but having to use the task manager or alt F4 to exit a program exactly when you want to is pretty stupid.

What? :psyduck: What other multiplayer game kicks you out of the menu due to something happening in game?

That seems a very specific :dice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

victrix posted:

What? :psyduck: What other multiplayer game kicks you out of the menu due to something happening in game?

That seems a very specific :dice:

If you change lobby states at all in Call of Duty you'll get kicked out of whatever menu (create a class, emblem editor, etc) you're in. Granted, this isn't during gameplay.

Getting forced out of menus to watch BF3's worthless "chase the guy that killed you for a few seconds" killcam was loving infuriating. Terrible design.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

They really need to test with griefers in mind.

Hell even when I was playing seriously I exploited the medic griefing. If a friendly got killed trying to breach a room, I would just keep reviving him from around the corner until the enemies in the room ran out of ammo and had to reload. Friendly would get 4-5 deaths, I would get 2-3 kills when I burst into the room.

It's a great mechanic, but I don't think they give much thought to just how game breaking it can be.

It turns out this works in Dust 514. Myself and a fine fellow named Moronic just spent the evening teamkilling our team mates with LAVs. I would drive, then he would hop out and revive the person I had just hit. Then I would plow full speed into the target as soon as he was on his feet again. We killed some of our team mates 5 or 6 times in the span of 30 seconds.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
This thing that Sammus says is the best thing in the world. If youre quick enough you can actually regive them before they have the chance to respawn.

Also i called in a jeep ontop of a large building and launched a pubbie off of it loving faaaaaaaaaar.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Some of these have probably been posted before, but a few videos from counter strike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISTzWUjgj9U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LORZn9pxMM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bN3hkwa0X8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYEyIGLRqW0 (this one definitely has been posted before, but here it is again anyways)

As for phoon, he obviously picked the music to fit the footage, but the fact that he did that and at the same time synced the awp shots perfectly with the music is just :psyboom:.

These were all filmed on servers run by a pay to play competitive service by the way, so everyone involved in these videos is paying $5 a month to play in serious competitive leagues, which makes it all so much better.

edit: As long as I'm doing a CS video dump, I might as well also post probably the best griefing video ever made. This has been posted before, but why not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSPAoe4GzFc

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 1, 2013

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
As long as we're posting those, does anyone have the CS griefing video with the team that did a bunch of ridiculous coordination stuff like running around as a tower? One of the best moments is when they defuse a bomb through the floor by standing on each other's heads. I thought it was the moNsterous one but they just both use Magic Carpet Ride.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCZn61K4pT8

This one? It's by the guy who made the first two I posted.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

I don't know if this quite counts as griefing, but once on SS13 I managed to make the other botanist really freaking mad by relocating all the botany machines and supplies to the chapel because the chaplain wanted to start a marijuana cult, it quickly grew until the majority of the station was just passed out drunk or high, including the traitors who just didn't give a drat, and the one botanist screaming about "NO GOD DAMMIT DONT TAKE THE WATERING CAN I NEED IT YOU rear end in a top hat!!!"

Best round ever.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

YellerBill posted:

I don't know if this quite counts as griefing, but once on SS13 I managed to make the other botanist really freaking mad by relocating all the botany machines and supplies to the chapel because the chaplain wanted to start a marijuana cult, it quickly grew until the majority of the station was just passed out drunk or high, including the traitors who just didn't give a drat, and the one botanist screaming about "NO GOD DAMMIT DONT TAKE THE WATERING CAN I NEED IT YOU rear end in a top hat!!!"

Best round ever.

Ok I officially have to go try this game now.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
One of the weeds that can grow in an unattended plant pot is the Slurrypod. Slurrypods are toxic and gross and terrible, and if you let them mature they burst, poisoning anyone nearby and making them hork up green barf for a while. Using a glass or beaker on a green barf puddle lets you scoop some of the stuff up, which makes everyone onscreen vomit at the disgusting sight. You can only scoop from an individual puddle once, but using the beaker on the floor pours out its contents, creating another green vomit puddle, which you can scoop from to make everyone puke again.

I have done this in a packed bar to drive an irritable Janitor into a homicidal fury. After the dozenth round of it the floor was an unrecognizable mess of green and yellow puke and the Janitor was openly trying to murder me while I ran around using other people to block his path. The funniest part was that he himself would vomit each time I scooped up another cup of disgusting green poo poo, adding to the deafening wet splattering sound as the game processed ten or so barfing sound effects simultaneously.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

One of the weeds that can grow in an unattended plant pot is the Slurrypod. Slurrypods are toxic and gross and terrible, and if you let them mature they burst, poisoning anyone nearby and making them hork up green barf for a while. Using a glass or beaker on a green barf puddle lets you scoop some of the stuff up, which makes everyone onscreen vomit at the disgusting sight. You can only scoop from an individual puddle once, but using the beaker on the floor pours out its contents, creating another green vomit puddle, which you can scoop from to make everyone puke again.

I have done this in a packed bar to drive an irritable Janitor into a homicidal fury. After the dozenth round of it the floor was an unrecognizable mess of green and yellow puke and the Janitor was openly trying to murder me while I ran around using other people to block his path. The funniest part was that he himself would vomit each time I scooped up another cup of disgusting green poo poo, adding to the deafening wet splattering sound as the game processed ten or so barfing sound effects simultaneously.

The best part about this was(and I'm not sure if this is fixed) that it also made any ghosts(dead players who are observing the round) in the same room throw up, too. One round I did a Paranormal Vomit Investigator gimmick, locating ghosts by making them vomit and trying to communicate with them.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

icantfindaname posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCZn61K4pT8

This one? It's by the guy who made the first two I posted.

Yeah, that's the one I meant. I could never find it after googlevideo died.

SomniumObmutum
Jul 23, 2007

The more smug foxes the better I always say.

Come play Kung Fu Eve (Age of Wushu) with us. Open beta starts April 10th. Get "banned", drink tears.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
You should check in with that guy every day. Regale him with tales of your "exploits."

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I bet he is one of those idiots that starts huge complaint threads on MMO forums about how multi-boxing is a form of botting and should not be allowed. I love when it devolves into "but every keypress is sent through third-party software of some form (OS) to elicit a response from your character, therefore if key-cloning software for multiboxing is botting, using any sort of input is botting".

Machai fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 3, 2013

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Preechr posted:

You should check in with that guy every day. Regale him with tales of your "exploits."

the big suggestion I loved was to send him a PM every day for a week saying something like "Hi there still not banned yet!" Then, after around 10 days, roll a brand new character(or have a really low level alt or something) and PM him crying, saying you got banned, and how horrible he is for reporting him, etc etc. Just as he starts gloating, PM him from his main and go "Haha NOPE still not banned, rear end in a top hat!"

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Please do that--and post the results!

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

"Haha NOPE still not banned, rear end in a top hat!"

yesssssss

Not really a video game grief, but using two or three accounts on AIM to warn people to 100% was fantastic. Shut down accounts for over a day for the crime of saying "hi" back to someone.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

RNG posted:

yesssssss

Not really a video game grief, but using two or three accounts on AIM to warn people to 100% was fantastic. Shut down accounts for over a day for the crime of saying "hi" back to someone.

If that counts, you used to be able to crash AIM by using an incredibly old version of the client to connect, then using it to pass HTML formatting it wasn't supposed to use, at which point it would have no idea how to handle it and hard lock.

Good times.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Someone told me of command or something over aim that would force the users disk tray to open. Was he full of poo poo or did this really work?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

RNG posted:

yesssssss

Anyone mind clarifying this post? I know what AIM is.

Soulex posted:

Someone told me of command or something over aim that would force the users disk tray to open. Was he full of poo poo or did this really work?

This was definitely a thing though. It wasn't AIM specific, it was possible to have a webpage open the disk tray. I remember sending it to a friend who had the front of his PC behind some kind of thin fragile wall. He wasn't happy.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I remember a Dutch site called something akin to freebeertray.com that would open the disk tray. It was a pretty neat idea.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Didn't AIM also have an old rear end build that allowed you to change someones password without knowing it? I forget what had to be done but I think it was just something simple like putting their user name and hitting the 'forgot password' button which just let you change it without any security.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Foxhound posted:

Anyone mind clarifying this post? I know what AIM is.
Back in the day, AIM had a button called, "Warn" which you would click on if you were contacted by a spammer. It'd raise their warning meter by 30% or so, which ticks down slowly over time.

If enough people clicked "warn" then your account would be locked for 24 hours. This feature got abused alot.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
MSN Messenger had a specific string which, if typed into the chat box, would force lock your account. Not terribly good for your account, but if you could convince others to try it...

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

RNG posted:

yesssssss

You monster! How dare you cut off teenagers from their friends for a WHOLE DAY!? That's like a decade in teenager years!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

AOL's popularity led to custom-made hacking and "griefing" tools. I never had AOL, but I remember reading about AOHell and some of the other tools.

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

Magres posted:

You monster! How dare you cut off teenagers from their friends for a WHOLE DAY!? That's like a decade in teenager years!

Hell, we used to play 'warning chicken,' where the person who could warn the other closest to 100% without going over won. Everyone had a couple backup accounts anyhow, although I can't for the life of me remember why.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
This thread is really old so maybe it's actually in here, but what was that moon game with all the great griefing videos? The goal was to assemble life saving space gear, and goons were disconnecting airhoses, throwing vital parts of cliffs and hitting people with the moon buggy.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Dr_Amazing posted:

This thread is really old so maybe it's actually in here, but what was that moon game with all the great griefing videos? The goal was to assemble life saving space gear, and goons were disconnecting airhoses, throwing vital parts of cliffs and hitting people with the moon buggy.

That would be Moonbase Alpha.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Which basically was (is) 24/7 griefing and shenanigans after people found out about the text-to-speech function.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yardbomb posted:

Which basically was (is) 24/7 griefing and shenanigans after people found out about the text-to-speech function.
As seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv6RbEOlqRo

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
That's like the only thing Mumble is good for, there's always at least a few Goons you can drive up the wall with text-to-speech shenanigans. It's so fun to do on Troll's mumble

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

This is the eventual fate of all programs given a text-to-speech option and I couldn't be happier about it.

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

If someone had told me, prior to seeing that video, that there would be a specific intonation of the phrase "question mark, exclamation point" that would make me lose my poo poo with laughter, I would have called them a liar.

HOLLER HOLLER GET DOLLAR coming from the little robot is what always gets me. :v:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Apr 5, 2013

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
If someone had told me, prior to seeing that video, that there would be a specific intonation of the phrase "question mark, exclamation point" that would make me lose my poo poo with laughter, I would have called them a liar.

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
It's pretty impressive how complex and exploitable the text-to-speech system in Moonbase Alpha is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8Z1xszumk0

You can make the voice synth sing songs. :awesome:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

See also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8uLT_EIJjs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnTludRdZDw

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I don't know what it is about those god drat robot voices that make me giggle so much

In Dark Souls there are a few different ways to mess with people. Here's one: you can get the equipment set of a certain type of enemy, and then if you stand perfectly still at specific spots then invading players will just assume that you're a regular enemy and walk right by you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywyll7GUG5Q

I like to play games with a spell called Chameleon. When you cast Chameleon, you'll turn into an inanimate object appropriate to the zone; this might be a box, or maybe a tree if you're in the forest. You can still move around slowly while you're this inanimate object, so sometimes it's just fun to slowly creep towards players as a tree and creep them out. This can also be somewhat like Hush; break a normal pot somewhere in the game, disguise self as pot, sit in a single spot while invaders come and go, completely confused as to why they can't find you. This isn't particularly great griefing as it's not like they're stuck with you, but some people find it really upsetting anyway.

In one particular zone, Chameleon will turn you into a fat floating demon statue, which is actually an enemy type for that area that moves slowly and is very easy to kill. So you can float around pretending to be a normal enemy and then surprise players with a massive unexpected spell or the like. Many spells are incredibly powerful if you can hit with it, so you could easily be one-shotting someone simply through surprise.

Normally if you take any action while Chameleoning then you'll break the spell and appear as a normal person again. However, there's also a flamethrower-like spell that you can cast while you're disguised as the fire-breathing demon statue. Naturally your version of the spell is much, much more powerful than the standard enemy's version, and you'll be a lot better at hitting with it than the normal enemies, so you can pretty easily surprise players and kill them in this fashion. Here's a good example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W75lPYzAqUg

(normally the statues have a long windup time before they breathe fire, and they stop moving once they start doing it. Being able to instantly cast the fire spell and continue moving while doing so is pretty surprising to most players who don't know about the demon statue chameleon trick. Actually, to be honest, I don't know if it's even possible to do this anymore)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yardbomb posted:

This is the eventual fate of all programs given a text-to-speech option and I couldn't be happier about it.

HOLLER HOLLER GET DOLLAR coming from the little robot is what always gets me. :v:
I prefer "Holla holla get pound" from a later video the guy did. That flatluigi just linked, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
JOHN MADDEN. JOHN MADDEN. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

• Locked thread