Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Werent GBA games also coming? They're not featured either, unless I missed something.

That's just a launch window trailer, I presume. Japan got an explicit list of what will be available at launch, I dunno why they didn't do that for other regions, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'll be happy if they get Wario 4, Zero Mission and Minish Cap on there. I don't have the carts anymore.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Canned Panda posted:

The biggest thing bothering me right now is how many people are complaining that there isn't DLC for Wii U versions of games.

When did this happen? When did gamers, the people who have been so against the idea of DLC (ESPECIALLY the CoD DLC that's $15 a pop), suddenly start wanting it?

drat we're a fickle bunch.

I for one still don't like DLC. Oh, what's that? You are adding in stuff that should have been in your $60 game from the start? And you want me to pay another $10 for it? Screw that.

Which Wii U games dont have DLC that the other systems are getting?

If this beings A Thing, it sucks because the Wii U version will simply have less than the other versions of the game game. Even if that extra stuff that its missing ends up costing money, the Wii U players wouldnt even have a choice to blow the money or wait for a GOTY edition.

Edit: Injustice DLC not coming to Wii U? Wow they really dont give a gently caress.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 21, 2013

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Aw poo poo was that some motherfucking Kirby's Dream Course. Don't mind if I do.

I thought I saw that and was all "AWWWWW YEAH!!"

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Here's a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V5NJ9ZKfPo

Scheduled but not shown: N64 games

Not bad, is that their launch lineup?
I see Yoshi's Cookie in there, Nintendo, you know there's a superior SNES version, right?
Oh who am I kidding, they put the NES version of Wario's Woods on the WiiVC despite there being an SNES version.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Gutcruncher posted:

Edit: Injustice DLC not coming to Wii U? Wow they really dont give a gently caress.

Injustice is definitely getting DLC, but it didn't get any of the pre-order costumes for whatever reason.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Injustice is definitely getting DLC, but it didn't get any of the pre-order costumes for whatever reason.

Gamestop doesn't sell season passes for the Wii U version, either.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Alex WS posted:

I wish people would stop using that word. It's confusing as it doesn't really mean anything, and makes people uncertain if you mean upscaling or re-rendering at a higher resolution. I'm guessing the N64 games that supported 480 vertical lines of resolution were rendered in that resolution (or switchable, as the case was in some games: Episode 1 Racer, Duke Nukem Zero Hour), and the ones at 240 were upscaled to 480. On the Wii U I'm almost certain the same will be the case, except they will be further upscaled to whatever resolution you have set your console to. Just like in Wii mode in other words. I'm however certain that they will not re-render them at a higher resolution than what the game originally supported.
Actually I think people created that word because upscaling didn't specify one way or another, i.e. "uprezzing" is specifically for instances of rendering at higher resolution. And the Wii did exactly that with N64 games, the emulator rendered them at 480 rather than the original 240.

Gutcruncher posted:

Which Wii U games dont have DLC that the other systems are getting?

If this beings A Thing, it sucks because the Wii U version will simply have less than the other versions of the game game. Even if that extra stuff that its missing ends up costing money, the Wii U players wouldnt even have a choice to blow the money or wait for a GOTY edition.

I don't think the Wii U version of Black Ops 2 has any DLC, and NFS:MW doesn't have the Airport expansion thing.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Rake Arms posted:

Gamestop doesn't sell season passes for the Wii U version, either.

Neither does the eshop, although that could simply be Nintendo not pre-selling DLC. Can you usually pre-buy stuff on the eshop?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Alex WS posted:

I wish people would stop using that word. It's confusing as it doesn't really mean anything, and makes people uncertain if you mean upscaling or re-rendering at a higher resolution. I'm guessing the N64 games that supported 480 vertical lines of resolution were rendered in that resolution (or switchable, as the case was in some games: Episode 1 Racer, Duke Nukem Zero Hour), and the ones at 240 were upscaled to 480. On the Wii U I'm almost certain the same will be the case, except they will be further upscaled to whatever resolution you have set your console to. Just like in Wii mode in other words. I'm however certain that they will not re-render them at a higher resolution than what the game originally supported.

Actually, N64 games on the virtual console were rendered at 640x480, even though most games were 320x240. It's much easier to emulate a simple 3D system like the N64 using high level emulation, where it interprets commands like "draw a polygon" for the graphics card to render. Low level emulation would be replicating every pixel, which is more accurate but also a lot slower, and cannot be used at a higher resolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BZAvdeS-5s

The video on the right is a tool-assisted speed run, but it's being done on a Wii. You can see things like the fence in the opening is a lot more distinct on the Wii version.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
The Wii U version of Black Ops 2 isn't getting any of the new maps?? Wh... Why?

That's, like, the easiest and most obvious kind of DLC to put up on the eshop, from a company who LOVES DLC. They shouldn't even have to do any special stuff for the Wii U version since it has parity with the other versions.

:psyduck:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They don't think they'd sell. That's what it keeps coming back to. The phrase "it gets worse before it gets better" exists for situations such as the Wii U's.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Scheduled but not shown: N64 games

Maybe they just weren't on the sizzle reel because they're not as iconically "retro" as NES and SNES games?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

Maybe they just weren't on the sizzle reel because they're not as iconically "retro" as NES and SNES games?

I want to bet its more along the lines of them not having their N64 Emulator working at the capacity they want it to, I mean we don't know when we're getting N64 games yet, just that they're coming.

I can't wait till they do get N64 games up and running though, having Restore Points at the least was sorely missed with their WiiVC N64 games, though I recall Neo-Geo games having the same issue.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I want to bet its more along the lines of them not having their N64 Emulator working at the capacity they want it to, I mean we don't know when we're getting N64 games yet, just that they're coming.

I can't wait till they do get N64 games up and running though, having Restore Points at the least was sorely missed with their WiiVC N64 games, though I recall Neo-Geo games having the same issue.

Not to mention rumble feedback.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

They don't think they'd sell. That's what it keeps coming back to. The phrase "it gets worse before it gets better" exists for situations such as the Wii U's.

They must hate money, as far as I know there is no quota before making cash on the eShop so the very first sale makes profit. Since the work is done, if they don't want to monetize it they could at least release it as a patch, as Nintendo doesn't charge publishers for patches.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Not to mention rumble feedback.

Yeah, but that's more of a minor issue considering rumble was optional to begin with.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Nintendo recently discussed their policy for indie devs: http://www.cubed3.com/news/18568/1/full-indie-summit-nintendo-renewed-indie-approach.html

This should really be the way everyone handles it.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Atomicated posted:

Nintendo recently discussed their policy for indie devs: http://www.cubed3.com/news/18568/1/full-indie-summit-nintendo-renewed-indie-approach.html

This should really be the way everyone handles it.

I really hope Nintendo is approaching developers about this.

From what I can see it's probably just as easy to develop for Nintendo now as it is to develop for Apple/Android.

Also, I'm really loving excited for this on the eShop: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/04/airship_combat_title_guns_of_icarus_online_could_be_flying_to_wii_u

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 21, 2013

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

zenintrude posted:

I'm fairly certain he's said in the past that he'd be willing to give the translation to Nintendo if they'd release the game officially.

I was right: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/04/21/m...q+%28Joystiq%29

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

That's a bit naive to think that would happen. Nintendo can't just take a fan produced translation and use it even if offered for free. Besides the legal issues, Nintendo can't trust modifications to their games from an outside source; even if we "know" that its harmless Nintendo has be absolutely certain of it and confirming that would require essentially the same effort as translating it again. But let's pretend that issue doesn't exist either. The quality assurance would be a nightmare and a half. The translation is only a fraction of the work needed to release Mother 3.

Basically, it's impossible for Nintendo to take that translation and use it.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Random Stranger posted:

That's a bit naive to think that would happen. Nintendo can't just take a fan produced translation and use it even if offered for free. Besides the legal issues, Nintendo can't trust modifications to their games from an outside source; even if we "know" that its harmless Nintendo has be absolutely certain of it and confirming that would require essentially the same effort as translating it again. But let's pretend that issue doesn't exist either. The quality assurance would be a nightmare and a half. The translation is only a fraction of the work needed to release Mother 3.

Basically, it's impossible for Nintendo to take that translation and use it.

I don't know where you got the idea that they would just slap it on. Even the article has the translator saying it could be used as a starting point or a way for official translators to cut down on their time.

I've heard of a company using an unofficial translation before to help them with speeding up a translation. Not sure what game it was but I think it was a Square Enix game.

Also, don't see where the legal issues are when the guy said he's giving it no questions asked.

Anyway, translation jobs should always be rushed and done by Ted Woosley.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't think he's actually suggesting that they just take his ROM and throw that up on the shop.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Even if they were just gonna slap it on a ROM, they'd still have to fix the massive slowdown that occurs after character naming.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

So does the phrase "It gets worse before you realize you completely missed your window of opportunity."

Nintendo cannot just continue on their present course and expect the games industry to come to them. With the Ps4 and the 720 launching, their claim to third party games is gonna get even thinner.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Fulchrum posted:

So does the phrase "It gets worse before you realize you completely missed your window of opportunity."

Nintendo cannot just continue on their present course and expect the games industry to come to them. With the Ps4 and the 720 launching, their claim to third party games is gonna get even thinner.

Has anyone considered that AAA titles as a whole are going to get thinner?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Has anyone considered that AAA titles as a whole are going to get thinner?

Thats not a saving grace. If that happens, all three are screwed beyond belief, and the industry is likely to crash.

With very few exceptions for the absolute creme de la creme, the pinnacle of what the craft can do (Braid, Journey, and Minecraft being pretty much it) no-one puts down hundreds of dollars for indie games.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Fulchrum posted:

Thats not a saving grace. If that happens, all three are screwed beyond belief, and the industry is likely to crash.

With very few exceptions for the absolute creme de la creme, the pinnacle of what the craft can do (Braid, Journey, and Minecraft being pretty much it) no-one puts down hundreds of dollars for indie games.

I guess it is to me because I want the industry to crash and get smarter at game development and cost.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Even if they were just gonna slap it on a ROM, they'd still have to fix the massive slowdown that occurs after character naming.

That was fixed in version 1.1. It's pretty much indistinguishable from an official release now.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Fulchrum posted:

Yeah Nintendo really hosed up by not... developing their own DLC for Black Ops II somehow? Seriously it's like that "Thanks, Obama" comic but with Iwata instead.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Virtual Console To Do List
  • Button remapping
  • Rumble support
  • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
  • Star Fox
  • Earthbound
  • Donkey Kong 64
  • Super Mario All-Stars
  • Black and white Link's Awakening

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

• Black and white Link's Awakening

I wouldn't hold my breath.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

zenintrude posted:

I wouldn't hold my breath.

I know :smith:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Couldn't they just throw an update on GB games that let's you change the colour scheme?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Couldn't they just throw an update on GB games that let's you change the colour scheme?

Its a different game.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

AngryCaterpillar posted:

• Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
  • Star Fox

Considering they're planning on putting GBA games on the Wii U VC, my guess is that not being able to emulate the Super FX chip is one of the reasons they're doing that in the first place. Watch us get the GBA version of Yoshi's Island instead of the SNES version. On that same note, watch us not get Star Fox.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

That loving Sned posted:

I don't really mind about the Wii U's sales or release schedule, because the only reason I have it is to play Nintendo games. It's not something I'd like to have as my primary console, because despite being pretty hardcore into Nintendo when the Wii came out, I ended up buying all five PlayStation consoles to fill the time.

As long as I get to play The Wind Waker HD, then I'm happy with it. Unless it gets delayed in Europe, in which case gently caress it.

So many people today take this position, yet for some reason it's heresy to suggest that Nintendo exclusively become a software developer, as if it's a major defeat if Nintendo acknowledges that there's no reason anymore for them to be building their own home consoles.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Toady posted:

So many people today take this position, yet for some reason it's heresy to suggest that Nintendo exclusively become a software developer, as if it's a major defeat if Nintendo acknowledges that there's no reason anymore for them to be building their own home consoles.

God drat could you imagine how much a Smash Bros. Brawl HD Remake on X360+PS3 would make? But nope, gotta make you buy their wonky rear end consoles.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Mercury Crusader posted:

Considering they're planning on putting GBA games on the Wii U VC, my guess is that not being able to emulate the Super FX chip is one of the reasons they're doing that in the first place. Watch us get the GBA version of Yoshi's Island instead of the SNES version. On that same note, watch us not get Star Fox.

My naive assumption is that emulating early Super FX games should be possible on Wii U hardware since games like StarFox and Stunt Race FX were emulated on late 90s PCs. Perhaps there are other technical issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Mercury Crusader posted:

This was my theory as well.

• Locked thread