Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Don Lapre posted:

I still show as validated, does everyone need to revalidate?

My understanding that you only have to revalidate if you have been contacted to verify your employment. I did it anyway just to be sure, it doesn't change anything beyond "yeah, this guy still totally works here."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

JayKay posted:

Back when I had my Thunderbolt I rooted and tethered without issue.

I rooted without issue and did USB tethering via PDAnet without issue, but that was tethered to a Windows OS. I'm trying to find any way to successfully use my mobile data network as a wireless hotspot that will connect my TF700. Through both WiFi Tether and PDAnet's Bluetooth DUN I can get the tablet to connect to my phone as a router, but there's no actual data throughput.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

So i'm about to (hopefully sucessfully) trade my iphone 4 for a Samsung S3, I currently have unlimited data on my iphone 4, we're meeting at a Verizon store to make sure each others ESNs are all well and good, while i'm at the store I'm assuming i'll need to get a 4G Simcard correct? Will I be keeping my unlimited data since i'm not purchasing or updating my contract?

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Photex posted:

So i'm about to (hopefully sucessfully) trade my iphone 4 for a Samsung S3, I currently have unlimited data on my iphone 4, we're meeting at a Verizon store to make sure each others ESNs are all well and good, while i'm at the store I'm assuming i'll need to get a 4G Simcard correct? Will I be keeping my unlimited data since i'm not purchasing or updating my contract?

The sim card is free and you will not lose unlimited.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
A follow up to my google voice question.

I have the inbound redirecting to my phone already. Is there an easy way to make it so you can make calls on the google voice number for a call or two then switch back over?

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

Gothmog1065 posted:

I have the inbound redirecting to my phone already. Is there an easy way to make it so you can make calls on the google voice number for a call or two then switch back over?

Assuming you're trying to do so from your phone? Go into the Google Voice app -> Settings -> Making calls: Ask every time I make a call. Now whenever you make an outgoing call, you'll get a prompt asking if you want to use your Google Voice number, or your actual carrier number.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Gothmog1065 posted:

Open the Voice app, hit the menu button in the bottom right and hit "Settings." The "Making Calls" option in the settings menu is what you want.

e: f,b

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Is it smart to pick up a RAZR MAXX HD right now, or should I get something else (SGS 4?)?

Wife is due for an upgrade and wants:

Good camera
Newest OS (RAZR should be on 4.1+ right?)
Big screen
Good battery life

I dropped off VZW a few months back and haven't followed trends, but she's still on this carrier so I've got no idea what's on the horizon.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

BoyBlunder posted:

Is it smart to pick up a RAZR MAXX HD right now, or should I get something else (SGS 4?)?

Wife is due for an upgrade and wants:

Good camera
Newest OS (RAZR should be on 4.1+ right?)
Big screen
Good battery life

I dropped off VZW a few months back and haven't followed trends, but she's still on this carrier so I've got no idea what's on the horizon.

The RAZR maxx HD fulfills every category listed there except the camera. It's not terrible, just mediocre at best.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Edit: People want Verizon to also end contract subsidies... Moved to a more traffic friendly thread.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Can I go to a Verizon store and get an LTE sim card without having the actual LTE phone with me? My new phone is being delivered on Monday and I won't be able to get to a Verizon store for a few days afterwards, so I'd rather just go pick up the sim card this weekend.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Can I go to a Verizon store and get an LTE sim card without having the actual LTE phone with me? My new phone is being delivered on Monday and I won't be able to get to a Verizon store for a few days afterwards, so I'd rather just go pick up the sim card this weekend.

Did you purchase it from Verizon? If so, it should come with one.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

bull3964 posted:

Did you purchase it from Verizon? If so, it should come with one.

No, bought it used so I could retain unlimited.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

chupacabraTERROR posted:

No, bought it used so I could retain unlimited.
I don't work at a store location so I'm not 100% positive but they should be able to create the order putting the SIM on your line and then when you complete 4G OTA by putting the SIM into the device and powering it on it will report its own device ID to the network at that time. Probably best to call ahead to the store to make sure they can do this.

However as soon as they activate the SIM on your line whatever device was on that line will stop working.

Misfate
Apr 24, 2012
You can also get a SIM card mailed to you if you go to the "Activate or Switch Device" section after logging into the Verizon Wireless website.

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008
My Razr Maxx HD has started having radio issues in the past month.. as in it completely loses connection and goes to only voice/text, then slowly comes back to 4G. Sometimes I have to switch on airplane mode for a moment to get 4G back completely. Is this just me? Should I look into getting this replaced under warranty?

lox
Apr 24, 2006

coffin party
Is there any way to make a Verizon iPhone 5 work in Cancun? I need it primarily for calls.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

lox posted:

Is there any way to make a Verizon iPhone 5 work in Cancun? I need it primarily for calls.
Verizon iPhone 5 come SIM-unlocked. You can use a Mexican SIM card (and have a temporary Mexican phone #) when you can get there for cheaper calls and data. There are also some internet companies that will send you a Mexican SIM to you in the US before you go. Unfortunately, Mexico's anti-drug trafficking or antiterrorism laws make it difficult to get a SIM anonymously.

Or you can leave the Verizon SIM in there and pay Verizon's astronomical international roaming rates. Turn off data roaming unless work is paying for it. Probably ~$2/minute for voice calls.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

goku chewbacca posted:

Verizon iPhone 5 come SIM-unlocked. You can use a Mexican SIM card (and have a temporary Mexican phone #) when you can get there for cheaper calls and data. There are also some internet companies that will send you a Mexican SIM to you in the US before you go. Unfortunately, Mexico's anti-drug trafficking or antiterrorism laws make it difficult to get a SIM anonymously.

Or you can leave the Verizon SIM in there and pay Verizon's astronomical international roaming rates. Turn off data roaming unless work is paying for it. Probably ~$2/minute for voice calls.

Using your Verizon account isn't *too* terrible for Mexico. $0.99/minute for calls, $0.05 SMS receive, $0.50 SMS send, data is $5.12/MB, or you can add the $25 for 100MB option to your account temporarily.

Or get a local SIM.

edit: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/tripplanner/tripplannercontroller

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Verizon has a plus mexico plan that includes minutes instead of charging per minute. Look into that. Its generally $15 additional per month so you can add it for one bill cycle and then remove it.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
A question for the Verizon people about the PTT phones/service.

My company switched form Sprint's push to talk to Verizon's service and we are using the Casio Gzone ravine (what an awful name) phones for PTT. What I want to know, is it possible to set up some sort of speed dial to call the direct connect numbers? The current way we have to call out via PTT is to manually scroll through the entire list of available phone numbers till you find the one you wish to dial. I'd love to get it set up like the sprint phones, were you only had to dial a 1 or 2 digit number to get a specific phone. Verizon's service is better than Sprint's, but these phones are not good to use.

Rockker
Nov 17, 2010

Edit: NM...got a hold of the update, on 4.0.3 now

Rockker fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 6, 2013

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

My 3g mifi finally kicked the bucket, the battery died. Finally time to upgrade. Is this the best one?
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/device/mobile-hotspot/jetpack-hotspot-mifi-4620le

Not many options it seems. I had the first 4g device released and returned after 1 day since it was so awful. It couldn't handle switching from 3g to 4g and viceversa. Is that fixed on these devices?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Fluue posted:

My Razr Maxx HD has started having radio issues in the past month.. as in it completely loses connection and goes to only voice/text, then slowly comes back to 4G. Sometimes I have to switch on airplane mode for a moment to get 4G back completely. Is this just me? Should I look into getting this replaced under warranty?

If the Maxx HD is configured anything like a Razr M, then for some reason the device defaults to a global radio mode which makes the 4G connections skittish for some odd reason.

Go to the Dialer and input *#*#4636#*#* and you might find it's set to something like GSM/WCDMA/EvDO/LTE or some long string of network types. Set it to just LTE/CDMA/EVDO and see if things stabilize.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Rockker posted:

I had to go back to an old HTC Rezound

Hopefully with OTA's your Rezound made it to Android Version 4.0.3 like it should be.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ProjektorBoy posted:

If the Maxx HD is configured anything like a Razr M, then for some reason the device defaults to a global radio mode which makes the 4G connections skittish for some odd reason.

Go to the Dialer and input *#*#4636#*#* and you might find it's set to something like GSM/WCDMA/EvDO/LTE or some long string of network types. Set it to just LTE/CDMA/EVDO and see if things stabilize.

There's no setting like that in the dialer and from what I see messing with the Test Menus settings for the network can mess it up.

However, you can change from Global to CDMA/LTE from within the normal menus under the data options.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

DangerZoneDelux posted:

My 3g mifi finally kicked the bucket, the battery died. Finally time to upgrade. Is this the best one?
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/device/mobile-hotspot/jetpack-hotspot-mifi-4620le

Not many options it seems. I had the first 4g device released and returned after 1 day since it was so awful. It couldn't handle switching from 3g to 4g and viceversa. Is that fixed on these devices?

3g/4g hand offs are no longer a major issue for Verizons newer mobile broadband devices.

The 4620le is solid and has the best battery life, 10 hours. I've sold hundreds of the 4620L which is essentially the same device with a lesser battery life.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
Android app name: LTE OnOff

More info: http://market.android.com/details?id=net.andirc.lteonfoff
__

I've been using this app on my Razr Maxx HD since I had my Galaxy Nexus. It allows simple network switching.

I use personally:

CDMA auto (PRL) - this mode puts the phone on auto 3G and it will remain on 3G through a restart, indefinitely until the mode is switched off. This mode is also super handy when battery life becomes a problem, as 3G eats through battery less severely as 4G. (Mainly for those of you without a Maxx/Maxx HD or if you need to stretch that 20% battery as long as possible)

LTE/CDMA/EvDo - this mode puts the phone on auto switching between 4G/3G, but will attempt to connect to 4G first. Basically if you are in a 4G coverage area it will connect to that network. If you fall out of 4G or if the network gets wonky, it will auto switch to 3G until the issue is resolved, then switch back. This mode also allows voice/data simultaneously.

LTE only - pretty self explanatory. I usually just use this when I tether. Being a Google Voice user, texts get pushed to the app so I don't miss texts, and will get notifications concerning the arrival of voice mail.

The app also all has modes for GSM and WCDMA. As I'm on vzw and always stateside, I have no need to use them.

There are also a few other features such as network pinging and ram dump. As I use my unlimited data habitually, this app is pretty handy to cycle through 3G/4G as I get throttled/encounter a congested tower. Regardless of Verizon's "network optimization" concerning data, calls come through like butter.

cuedotcom fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 3, 2013

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

kstatix posted:

3g/4g hand offs are no longer a major issue for Verizons newer mobile broadband devices.

The 4620le is solid and has the best battery life, 10 hours. I've sold hundreds of the 4620L which is essentially the same device with a lesser battery life.

I'm considering getting one of these myself. However, I'd only use it to connect a tablet or occasionally a laptop. I'm primarily interested in it because it would make the whole process of choosing and buying a tablet a lot easier and would give me a better range of options. Is it worth it for the extra :10bux: a month plus the extra $100 upfront?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

dpbjinc posted:

I'm considering getting one of these myself. However, I'd only use it to connect a tablet or occasionally a laptop. I'm primarily interested in it because it would make the whole process of choosing and buying a tablet a lot easier and would give me a better range of options. Is it worth it for the extra :10bux: a month plus the extra $100 upfront?

If you already have a smartphone then just use tethering.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Don Lapre posted:

If you already have a smartphone then just use tethering.

I don't have one already. I'm in the dark ages right now. :ohdear:

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

dpbjinc posted:

In my opinion, if you will be tethering on a daily basis, get the jetpack. If not, then use a smartphone to tether. If you don't have a smart phone then get the jetpack. I personally think it's worth the extra cash as you can just buy WiFi only tablets moving forward.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

dpbjinc posted:

Radioshack has the 4620LE for free, Costco has the 5510L for :10bux:x2

Edit: also fyi the jetpacks are $20/mo to add-on to a Share Everything, not $10. Tablets are :10bux: to add.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I wouldn't sign a contract to get a free mifi. You should be able to get someones used one for $100.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

kstatix posted:

You were spot on. This thing is solid. Way better than the first 4g mifi I used awhile back. Verizon however can go gently caress themselves with the $30 activation fee and mail in rebate for store purchases. If this wasn't a paid business line those policies would make me switch carriers

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

DangerZoneDelux posted:

You were spot on. This thing is solid. Way better than the first 4g mifi I used awhile back. Verizon however can go gently caress themselves with the $30 activation fee and mail in rebate for store purchases. If this wasn't a paid business line those policies would make me switch carriers

To who?
Sprint 36 activation + MIR
AT&T same
T-Mobile? Hope you have awesome coverage.

Major wireless is the same. Everyone charges activation and has mail in rebates.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

EbolaIvory posted:

To who?
AT&T same

Major wireless is the same. Everyone charges activation and has mail in rebates.

He's right. gently caress verizon, but gently caress all the others too. I was surprised they added a rebate to the s4. Its garbage. Yes I'm an employee but I'm just as sick of all the bullshit as everyone else is. Big red is greedy.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

EbolaIvory posted:

To who?
AT&T same

To Cricket. I am serious. I would get a burner in a heartbeat. I only have a smart phone and a hot spot because work requires it. I don't need to be tweeting or facebooking when I am dropping a duece in the wilderness so network coverage be damned

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

DangerZoneDelux posted:

To Cricket. I am serious. I would get a burner in a heartbeat. I only have a smart phone and a hot spot because work requires it. I don't need to be tweeting or facebooking when I am dropping a duece in the wilderness so network coverage be damned

TMo would work for you (roam to ATT for call/text) but Cricket doesn't even get calls/texts in the wilderness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Anyone else here have a RAZR maxx HD and have issues with music skipping? I'm running stock everything and using Google music. Even in airplane mode it skips regularly. Its infuriating and my s4 can't come soon enough.

• Locked thread