Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
5's almost a good design, except the hammer isn't integral to the plot, and the font for the title is horrible.

6 is decent, at least it's different than most Drive posters.

Rest are very very bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Noxville posted:

Pretty impressive to outpace a car like that, I guess the Driver took up speedwalking to make his getaways.

He's a wizard?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

FauxGateau posted:

I actually really dig #5 from this new batch. #8 is also pretty cool, but I think it's got too much happening on it. I'm still trying to figure out #9 myself...

It's a gear shift, turned sideways, made of a hammer.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Movie Posters - Drive and the rest

I really like this one, could work as a teaser I guess.

Or the next MBV album cover.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 10:49 on May 11, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

penismightier posted:

The Les Mis and Beasts ones aren't bad. I mean look at those loving Avenger posters, remind yourself those are about average, and then look at Beasts again.

I don't want to look at the Beasts poster again, on the basis that I may need my eyes at some future date. I'll take bland lack of talent over grotesquerie every time, thanks.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

I gotta admit, I think this one is pretty clever. I would never hang it on my wall though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The hammer appears in one scene that's about 3 minutes long, how did it become such a popular image for the movie? The worst posters are the ones that feature a toothpick, though.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Improbable Lobster posted:

The first post-legibility posters

A lot of these posters seem like stuff that people who grew up on David Carson, and got completely the wrong idea from it, would make.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
This one:

quote:

Has to be a joke. HAS to be.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Dissapointed Owl posted:

More. More. Feed the machine! :unsmigghh:

This... this looks like a joke. Did you make this? Is this the odd one out? This looks like a parody of drive posters. Did you just take a drive poster and draw a bunch of neon lines on it in paint?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Stare-Out posted:

The hammer appears in one scene that's about 3 minutes long, how did it become such a popular image for the movie?

Because if it weren't for the scene with the hammer and the scene in the lift, nobody would even remember that this movie existed.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Man. Olly Moss ruined a whole new generation of graphic designers.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Oh hey, I didn't know the Millenium Falcon was in Drive.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Stare-Out posted:

The hammer appears in one scene that's about 3 minutes long, how did it become such a popular image for the movie? The worst posters are the ones that feature a toothpick, though.

The hammer was on some of the official posters as far as I remember.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

More. More. Feed the machine! :unsmigghh:

Security Chief Odo was in Drive?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The hammer was on some of the official posters as far as I remember.

I didn't think it was on the poster but I thought it got photoshopped in for the home release. Same with that bloody scorpion on the jacket which suddenly appears on the front because it's 'iconic'.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It almost makes me want to make a movie where the main character prominently wears a shirt saying "I am a bad graphic designer" and see how many people bite.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
So why does everyone (everyone!) who saw Drive fancy themself to be a graphic designer? How did that happen?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Mr. Squishy posted:

So why does everyone (everyone!) who saw Drive fancy themself to be a graphic designer? How did that happen?

That's what was on my mind. There are an impossibly large number of fan posters for that movie, and yet all of them are focusing on the tiniest part of that movie.

The mind boggles.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
:smug:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

What the gently caress is this movie and holy poo poo those credits.

The cast list is because they spent something like 10 years making the movie and were hiring actors piecemeal as they got more money. Like how Anne Bancroft had been dead for 3 years before the movie finally came out.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Nestle's Crunch, the famously vital plot mcguffin of GhostBusters.

Would it have killed them to graphic design a packet of stay-puft marshmallows? C'mon people.

Mayor Defacto
Apr 21, 2010

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
:golfclap:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Red Bones posted:

Nestle's Crunch, the famously vital plot mcguffin of GhostBusters.

Would it have killed them to graphic design a packet of stay-puft marshmallows? C'mon people.

I would have gone with a giant twinkie. I cannot remember what crunch bars had to do with the movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I would have gone with a giant twinkie. I cannot remember what crunch bars had to do with the movie.

Doesn't Venkman give one to Egon at one point?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Nybble posted:

That's what was on my mind. There are an impossibly large number of fan posters for that movie, and yet all of them are focusing on the tiniest part of that movie.

The mind boggles.

It's because Drive was all about the tone generated by its cinematic techniques. And there's a lot of stillness in the film, giving people time to think (and in this case, time to think about the wrong stuff). Folks saw Ryan Gosling raising a hammer and it made them feel funny inside, and they attributed that feeling to the hammer itself. It's basic fetishism.

You'll note that people have not picked up on the sun/shadow themes, the focus on motors, and the play with cinematic archetypes and identity. It's all hammers.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Does a good Drive poster even exist?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You'll note that people have not picked up on the sun/shadow themes, the focus on motors, and the play with cinematic archetypes and identity. It's all hammers.

Hammers are easier to draw than nuance.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

muscles like this? posted:

Doesn't Venkman give one to Egon at one point?

Was it a Crunch bar? Because whatever he waves at Egon, whatever Egon "earned" wasn't even shot in close-up or lingered on. It was product placement, no doubt, but since I can't for the life of me even call up what brand it was it couldn't have been emphasized.

There are a ton of other things wrong with that poster, but the central problem is that most people wouldn't have even remembered that moment, let alone what candy bar Venkman was holding.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Here's a question: Why don't the posters focus on anything that might be more recognizably iconic? Like the mask scene, which is far more drawn-out and which more people will remember. I mean, even the Mondo poster had the decency to focus on him actually driving a car.

Also, does he even kill anybody with that hammer? I know he uses it to force Nino to eat a bullet, but I could've sworn he mostly used his hands to kill people. This

Never happened, as far as I remember.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Waffleman_ posted:

Hammers are easier to draw than nuance.

It's not a question of laziness, like they were going to try to draw nuance but didn't bother. Folks are just straight-up visually illiterate.

The hammer scene in Drive is nothing without Driveman struggling to hold himself still while he burns with rage. The hammer is just adds to the real content that is the bodily self-mastery. (Hence the strippers in the background, as it happens.)

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Tewratomeh posted:

Was it a Crunch bar? Because whatever he waves at Egon, whatever Egon "earned" wasn't even shot in close-up or lingered on. It was product placement, no doubt, but since I can't for the life of me even call up what brand it was it couldn't have been emphasized.

Yeah it was a Crunch bar. Some people thought it was changed to a PayDay at one point but that's just poor resolution VHS.

Mister Chief posted:

I know I've seen one. I'm pretty sure it just used a photo from the movie that was a great shot and then they didn't obsess over colours for the text.

EDIT: This is the best Drive poster

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Mister Chief posted:

Well, the official ones are pretty good.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I'd totally watch that movie.

cis_eraser_420 fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 11, 2013

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's not a question of laziness, like they were going to try to draw nuance but didn't bother. Folks are just straight-up visually illiterate.

The hammer scene in Drive is nothing without Driveman struggling to hold himself still while he burns with rage. The hammer is just adds to the real content that is the bodily self-mastery. (Hence the strippers in the background, as it happens.)

So fan movie posters are basically the new TV tropes

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

come the gently caress on

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Somebody please 'shop a Ghostbusters DVD case onto a filthy rag with, up in the corner, "Nestlé Crunch: A Nestlé Product".

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

This is great, but wouldn't Nicolas Ray be a better choice for a director for 50's Drive than John Ford?

Anyway, this was the first poster I saw for Drive and I do think it's my favorite:

I am getting Cronenberg associations from this, especially to Crash. We are basically looking at the Driver's beating heart, with the car being an extension of himself. He drives. That's what he does, but it's also all he can do.

It's just a nice poster that is thematically appropriate and an intriguing image that hints to us that there is more going on under the surface of the film than those Mondo atrocities would have you to believe. I didn't even notice that the iconic pink font was gone before I took a second look at it.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

I don't like it because it has the problem a lot of Drive's promotional material had, in that it paints it as a gritty fast action film. That is what I immediately thought of when I saw that poster, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Drive poster above isn't bad but has the unfortunately misleading phrase "From the Producer of Wanted".