Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Machai posted:

Is a photo not the ultimate likeness?

Yeah, using a dead man to sell your product without permission is just wrong.

A reinvented fanny-pack, because a black sash goes with every outfit. They have said they will come out with more colors, but even then do sashes go with every outfit?

Why on earth is the phone pocket on the back of the sash?
Your phone is probably second only to your wallet in terms of value when you're estimating the value of your commonly held possessions, and they generally have good resale value.
Any sort of pick pocket who isn't rubbish at what they do is going to be able to sneak that out with little effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW

Aurain posted:

Why on earth is the phone pocket on the back of the sash?
Your phone is probably second only to your wallet in terms of value when you're estimating the value of your commonly held possessions, and they generally have good resale value.
Any sort of pick pocket who isn't rubbish at what they do is going to be able to sneak that out with little effort.

It's a sash, man. Whatever part of the sash you want to have in front, you put in front.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The buckle up sashes have a clear front and back though.
You could wear the buckle at the back if you want, but you'd look a bit silly.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Aurain posted:

but you'd look a bit silly.

You throw that away the minute you put on a utility sash

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Been done. Done better.

Scheme
Jul 31, 2005
Snatch up these flying butts before they fly away. :yosbutt:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1960086844/miniature-wargaming-flying-assault-butts?ref=recently_launched

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
I can hardly wait to file the flash out of my butt's crack and lovingly shade and hilight every soft curve. Will have to think of how to base it, right now thinking a cloud made of charmin and then clearcoat the hell out it.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

A man I can trust with my hard earned dollars.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Machai posted:

Yeah, using a dead man to sell your product without permission is just wrong.

It's wrong when they have permission too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs_T_cEoX6I

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

AnonSpore posted:

It's possible to think she was being a lovely person based solely on what she did without being misogynist or ignorant.

Well, her treatment has gotten insanely out of hand, and the way Destructoid thought it was totally cool to out her is beyond awful: http://quinnae.com/2013/05/14/at-the-edge-of-night-who-owns-a-womans-truth/

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Jefferoo posted:

Well, her treatment has gotten insanely out of hand, and the way Destructoid thought it was totally cool to out her is beyond awful: http://quinnae.com/2013/05/14/at-the-edge-of-night-who-owns-a-womans-truth/

Oh for gently caress's sake. She was a large-scale lying, cheating scam artist who got busted and then went out in an attention whore blaze of non-glory. Who really gives a gently caress.

The author needs to find a different martyr to flog, this one's a bit tarnished.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

AlternateAccount posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake. She was a large-scale lying, cheating scam artist who got busted and then went out in an attention whore blaze of non-glory. Who really gives a gently caress.

The author needs to find a different martyr to flog, this one's a bit tarnished.

Please stop being weird and creepy over how mad you get at women over the internet.

Some KickStarter goodness just broke into the mainstream news cycle: A 24 year-old raised over $300,000 on Kickstarter shilling for his dad's wool shirt company. And the shirt he was crowdfunding is already being made and sold.

...of SCIENCE! has a new favorite as of 05:01 on May 15, 2013

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

You know...I can't really hate on him for that. It's definitely a little dishonest, but he's delivering a real, working product and creating a lot of hype for it. Although I bet it doesn't cost $98 to buy normally.

edit: apparently I'm wrong on that last point
https://www.pendleton-usa.com/product/Men/WOVEN-SHIRTS/WOVEN-SHIRTS/SIR-PENDLETON-WOOL-SHIRT/166284/sc/1752/c/1752/pc/1814.uts

Xandu has a new favorite as of 05:10 on May 15, 2013

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Xandu posted:

You know...I can't really hate on him for that. It's definitely a little dishonest, but he's delivering a real, working product and creating a lot of hype for it. Although I bet it doesn't cost $98 to buy normally.

edit: apparently I'm wrong on that last point
https://www.pendleton-usa.com/product/Men/WOVEN-SHIRTS/WOVEN-SHIRTS/SIR-PENDLETON-WOOL-SHIRT/166284/sc/1752/c/1752/pc/1814.uts

Isn't this against their TOS though? Essentially treating KS like a store. Then again what KS isn't violating the TOS these days?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

These are legit awesome.

Jefferoo posted:

Is it appropriate to think she's a lying and manipulative piece of poo poo without being painted as some sort of bigot? Because while I have nothing against trans people, I think attempting to defraud people into paying for your non-life-threatening, elective surgery and threatening to kill yourself if anyone talks about it is scummy as hell. I can understand that it is a life-changing procedure but it is not a life saving procedure, and pretending you have a different, life-threatening ailment instead of being honest about her situation is a lovely thing to do.

I hope she gets the psychiatric help she needs but her behavior was reprehensible.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Please stop being weird and creepy over how mad you get at women over the internet.

You do realise that her being a woman isn't what people are getting narky about in this thread, right. I think my favourite response from that article is this one:

quote:

There’s nothing implicitly wrong about having that as her intent, if you can even prove that it was her intent. The act of actually taking the funds and using them for a purpose other than their stated purpose would be *actively wrong* but simply intending to do so is not wrong. People think about and even intend to do bad things all the time that they don’t do.

No guys she didn't actually do anything wrong, she was just going to. :downs:

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
She could have gotten the money if she had just been truthful with everyone :smith:

Wendell
May 11, 2003

poptart_fairy posted:

No guys she didn't actually do anything wrong, she was just going to. :downs:

If you try to rob someone but fail it's perfectly okay.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Alan Smithee posted:

Isn't this against their TOS though? Essentially treating KS like a store. Then again what KS isn't violating the TOS these days?

It might be. It probably is against their TOS to show a bunch of images of and use a different shirt in your 100-day demo than the one you're actually selling, even if it is from the same factory.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Sigma-X posted:

These are legit awesome.

Is it appropriate to think she's a lying and manipulative piece of poo poo without being painted as some sort of bigot?
Yes. Tell the story and replace Chloe Sagal with "Bob Sagat" and if you come to the same conclusion then you know gender isn't affecting your decision.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

He's got all that loving Full House money, he doesn't need a Kickstarter.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

People commit suicide over gender dysphoria. The lady screwed up how she went about things, but given the distress the condition causes and the toxic environment trans people already have to exist in I don't think any of this scorn or criticism is deserved. Rather, and bear she did attempt suicide over the shame and humiliation inflicted on her, this should be a lesson to cis-people in just how much poo poo trans people have to put up with and the desperate acts they're sometimes driven to.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

People commit suicide over gender dysphoria. The lady screwed up how she went about things, but given the distress the condition causes and the toxic environment trans people already have to exist in I don't think any of this scorn or criticism is deserved. Rather, and bear she did attempt suicide over the shame and humiliation inflicted on her, this should be a lesson to cis-people in just how much poo poo trans people have to put up with and the desperate acts they're sometimes driven to.

Yes because her trying to scam people has absolutely nothing to do with it. I guess im just cis-scum for not liking people that lie and cheat?

Edit:
Whatever sympathy I had for her went away after hearing what she did with the journalists.

Exmond has a new favorite as of 16:04 on May 15, 2013

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
It's loving stupid how bent out of shape some of you people get about kickstarters that you didn't even put any goddamn money towards. This poo poo has no effect on your life, I literally don't know how you can even care enough about it to get that worked up.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Carecat posted:

She could have gotten the money if she had just been truthful with everyone :smith:

It never would have gone viral, and it wouldn't have raised a tenth of what her life saving surgery campaign did.

^^ - This is the thread about terrible Kickstarters. Are we only allowed to post about terrible Kickstarters we've backed?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Modern Day Hercules posted:

It's loving stupid how bent out of shape some of you people get about kickstarters that you didn't even put any goddamn money towards. This poo poo has no effect on your life, I literally don't know how you can even care enough about it to get that worked up.
Yet here you are getting blatantly worked up yourself (your language is even more angry sounding than theirs) about their posting.

People get emotionally involved in stories whether it directly affects them or not, why is this hard for people to understand? It's not about whether they gave money to the kickstarter, it's about the idea of the scam itself, plus all the emotional heat that comes with any discussion about gender issues.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Remember when that one suburban teenager wanted several thousand dollars to buy a Macbook Pro just so he could write fantasy novels, even though he already had a regular laptop and had no actual previous writing to show off? And how the thread was full of Goons bragging about how they donated to him defending him became even though he didn't actually need it because they felt some sort of kinship towards this proto-Goon?

Good to know Goons have their priorities straight when it comes to what frivolous Kickstarters are worth defending and worthy demonizing :allears:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

So no one other than those scammed by Bernie Madoff should have given a poo poo?

23 Flavors
Sep 13, 2011

what a talentless looking goon

A Steampunk Gent posted:

You mean the shame and humiliation she inflicted upon herself when she lied about the nature of the operation instead of being up front about it. If she had admitted from the beginning she needed money for a gender-reassignment surgery she would've received a lot of support from the LGBT community and its sympathizers, which would have no doubt exploded if she was being harassed by "cis-people." There are tons of tolerant people out there who would have supported her. Even if it didn't go viral (which this campaign only went because of how shady it seemed), she would've still received some money as well as emotional support. Her scam "life saving surgery" Kickstarter yielded her exactly $0 so no matter what she raised by being honest it would've been more than she receives now. If there was a lot of harassment and she was honest this could have been a great moment to bring attention to what the trans community has to cope with. By committing fraud she only reinforces negative stereotypes of the trans community in general, however unjustified those generalizations may be, and is just setting back real progress from being made.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

It never would have gone viral, and it wouldn't have raised a tenth of what her life saving surgery campaign did.

^^ - This is the thread about terrible Kickstarters. Are we only allowed to post about terrible Kickstarters we've backed?

Her campaign raised $0 because it was all revoked. So I'm pretty sure literally anything else would raise more (for example, she's an indie game dev, why not try to fund a new game and use the money for surgery?).

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Good to know Goons have their priorities straight when it comes to what frivolous Kickstarters are worth defending and worthy demonizing :allears:

If that first teenager had actively lied about what they wanted the money for you'd see similarly negative responses to it. Goons aren't flipping out because it's a transperson here, Goons are flipping out because it's someone who actively lied and mislead to try and get money for something not even mentioned in their original pitch.

Yeah, a lot of us know what's involved when it comes to gender dysphoria - I went through a rough couple of years when I believed myself to be suffering from it - so those trying to bury it under phobias, or attempting to spin Chloe as the real victim because she suffered backlash over her lying (note how nobody in this thread has supported the "fuckin' tranny" stuff...). Imagine anyone else had tried to spin a Kickstarter for ends other than the one about "life saving surgery" they were trying to push.

Jick Magger
Dec 27, 2005
Grimey Drawer

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Remember when that one suburban teenager wanted several thousand dollars to buy a Macbook Pro just so he could write fantasy novels, even though he already had a regular laptop and had no actual previous writing to show off? And how the thread was full of Goons bragging about how they donated to him defending him became even though he didn't actually need it because they felt some sort of kinship towards this proto-Goon?

That little poo poo never wrote me my god-damned short story >:C

Wet Bandits Copycat
Apr 18, 2004

I don't know about you, but I like looking at terrible kickstarters for the same reason I enjoy finding horrible clothes at a consignment store: it's fun.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The difference being that it was a really obvious scam that no-one here fell for and was clearly done by a desperate and unstable person. Denis Dyack asking for $1.5m to 'develop' a 'game' is worthy of outrage and ridicule, the dude who ran Lore was Dunning-Krueger effect incarnate and arrogant enough he deserved most of the crap he got, with this lady, it's was a stupid and ill-conceived idea yes, but it was also just to raise cash for what was clearly going to be a life-saving operation considering her subsequent suicide attempt. This lining up to judge her and loudly announce that she's lost your oh-so-valuable 'sympathy' is really nasty and callous, sure she nearly died and is stuck in a loathsomely miserable situation but she deceived me on a subject I had no interest in and had intention to donate to, so she can rot in hell for all I care. This is a sad and nearly tragic mess of a situation and I'd hope people would be more concerned with supporting this woman and helping her avoid another suicide attempt than pillorying her for attempting to raise money for what is evidently vital surgery.

23 Flavors posted:

You mean the shame and humiliation she inflicted upon herself when she lied about the nature of the operation instead of being up front about it. If she had admitted from the beginning she needed money for a gender-reassignment surgery she would've received a lot of support from the LGBT community and its sympathizers, which would have no doubt exploded if she was being harassed by "cis-people." There are tons of tolerant people out there who would have supported her. Even if it didn't go viral (which this campaign only went because of how shady it seemed), she would've still received some money as well as emotional support. Her scam "life saving surgery" Kickstarter yielded her exactly $0 so no matter what she raised by being honest it would've been more than she receives now. If there was a lot of harassment and she was honest this could have been a great moment to bring attention to what the trans community has to cope with. By committing fraud she only reinforces negative stereotypes of the trans community in general, however unjustified those generalizations may be, and is just setting back real progress from being made.

23 Flavors posted:

If there was a lot of harassment and she was honest this could have been a great moment to bring attention to what the black community has to cope with. By committing fraud she only reinforces negative stereotypes of the black community in general, however unjustified those generalizations may be, and is just setting back real progress from being made.

Are you sure this concern troll isn't a tiny bit prejudiced?

Exmond posted:

Yes because her trying to scam people has absolutely nothing to do with it. I guess im just cis-scum for not liking people that lie and cheat?

Edit:
Whatever sympathy I had for her went away after hearing what she did with the journalists.

yes, die cis scum, etc

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
The sheer amount of people naively claiming if she was just up front about it she would have gotten it all, no problem, have absolutely zero idea how transphobic the internet is - when this story blew up on Twitter, a trans friend of mine spoke up and received an endless amount of bigotry and hatred her way. A games journalist proceeded to sit on the knowledge of her trans status and her threats of suicide instead of getting her help, then proceeded to out her trans status without her consent, because, "well, she already tried to kill herself, so gently caress it, and THE GAMING PUBLIC NEEDS TO KNOW."

The fact that the focus is on her instead of the sheer amount of bigotry, hate, and vitriol that she has constantly received because she wasn't comfortable publicly stating her trans status and unfortunately wasn't 100% honest about the money she was asking for really goes to show how utterly awful the Internet is. Instead of practicing a bit of empathy and listening to trans people when they've explained that yes, it is a life saving surgery, especially in a society that kills trans people for having the "wrong parts," it's way easier to practice the Two Minutes Hate and demonize this desperate, clearly ill person and join the crowd that decides, hey, it's totally okay to out a trans person without their consent. Because Gamers need to know man, gamers need to know, and it's my job, as Features Editor at Destructoid.com to free the truth!

Chloe's actions are sad, dishonest, and ultimately the desperate attempt of someone in a world that actively hates and kills trans individuals for being trans trying to survive. Her story will probably not end well. Her treatment has gone totally way over the line and is beyond defensible.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Jick Magger posted:

That little poo poo never wrote me my god-damned short story >:C

Yeah that whole campaign was pretty dumb. I'm a writer, and I think it's awesome if other people want to try it as well, but one of the best things about writing as a hobby was that YOU DON'T NEED TO INVEST MONEY IN IT. If that kid had really wanted to write something, he would have used the laptop that he already had to write with.

I've been participating in the weekly Thunderdome thread over in CC for around a month in a half, and I'm writing more than I have in a long while. If I could message that kid I would suggest a writing group or some other community- for me, it's made me accountable for putting out something and thus more motivated to work and get/give feedback. It also costs ZERO DOLLARS (well except for :10bux: if you do what I did, which you hardly need to Kickstart).

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
I think the Chloe Sagal thing was a shitstorm smashing into a manure processing plant. Everything just came together at the worst time, in the worst ways, and exploded into this mess.

Not being able to live in the right body does send people into wanting to commit suicide, so technically gender reassignment surgery is a life saving operation. Lying about having metal poisoning, having gone through 2 legal battles over it in a year and posting obviously faked short videos of yourself pretend coughing to raise the money is a red flag. It didn't help that the one guy that was rallying for her and supporting her the entire time was lied to as well.

On the other hand, if she had asked for the money honestly she'd probably be called a disgusting loving tranny and laughed at by the internet anyway. The only way she might have gotten that money is if it blew up like the "Send my daughter to RPG camp!" and even then, not a lot of people will want to donate money since trans people are treated like poo poo most of the time.

I really doubt she wanted to scam people out of money but felt there was no other way to raise it. Sucks for everyone in this situation.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Jefferoo posted:

...and unfortunately wasn't 100% honest about the money she was asking for...
Haha, cute. I mean, technically, 0% isn't 100%.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Actually no, do you have a link to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The difference being that it was a really obvious scam that no-one here fell for and was clearly done by a desperate and unstable person. Denis Dyack asking for $1.5m to 'develop' a 'game' is worthy of outrage and ridicule, the dude who ran Lore was Dunning-Krueger effect incarnate and arrogant enough he deserved most of the crap he got, with this lady, it's was a stupid and ill-conceived idea yes, but it was also just to raise cash for what was clearly going to be a life-saving operation considering her subsequent suicide attempt. This lining up to judge her and loudly announce that she's lost your oh-so-valuable 'sympathy' is really nasty and callous, sure she nearly died and is stuck in a loathsomely miserable situation but she deceived me on a subject I had no interest in and had intention to donate to, so she can rot in hell for all I care. This is a sad and nearly tragic mess of a situation and I'd hope people would be more concerned with supporting this woman and helping her avoid another suicide attempt than pillorying her for attempting to raise money for what is evidently vital surgery.

"I watched that one episode of South Park so I'm fully qualified to say that SRS is an elective, unnecessary surgery people undertake because they think that changing their gender will just magically fix all their problems."

-The Internet