Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

We have heaters that run on JP8? New Army motto: "If it doesn't run on jet fuel, it aint poo poo."

JP-8 is just a diesel-kerosene mix. There is a camp stove in my vehicle's SL-3 that runs off JP-8 and we got little JP-8 camp stoves at CIF before I deployed to Afghanistan.

vains fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

DoktorLoken posted:

DRASH tents are cool as hell, heat and air conditioning. Wonder how many hundreds of thousands they cost though.

A few pop up occasionally in surplus or on government liquidation.com . A friend picked up one that was a 8-12 man unit built into a M1102 look-a-like trailer. Never used, paid like $2000 bucks for it. He flipped it for $5000 to some expedition/offroad guys. I'm sure the government price tang was like $30,000 or so.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

DoktorLoken posted:

Pretty glad my job almost exclusively gets to work in one of these guys. I just need to figure out how to justify sleeping under a table or something instead of outside.

DRASH tents are cool as hell, heat and air conditioning. Wonder how many hundreds of thousands they cost though.

Depending on what you have going on in that facility, most of the time, you can make yourself indispensable to the operation going on.

I'm the Sat Com SME (not tooting my own horn, I'm just the only person that LIKES it) so I normally get myself a nice mat in the back of our shelters, so I can get asked weird questions about a problem in the dead of sleep, answer unconsciously, and fall back asleep.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Martello posted:

You from Upstate somewhere? I just went to Potsdam for the first time in my life last Saturday to watch my fiancee's mom's Masters graduation. Seems like a cool little campus.

Did my undergrad at Clarkson. It is a cool little campus, but there's fuckall to do unless you drive up to Montreal.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Veins McGee posted:

JP-8 is just a diesel-kerosene mix. There is a camp stove in my vehicle's SL-3 that runs off JP-8 and we got little JP-8 camp stoves at CIF before I deployed to Afghanistan.

I've burned JP-8 in my TDI before, cleaned the motor out

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Did my undergrad at Clarkson. It is a cool little campus, but there's fuckall to do unless you drive up to Montreal.

One of my brother-in-laws went there, but he's old as gently caress (46) so no way you guys ever met. Montreal is pretty awesome but yeah the North Country isn't super exciting. Good place to settle down though.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

Yeah they're all modular including the lights, power distribution, etc. The bigger tent sections come on a trailer (obviously the ones with the ducts coming off of them) that has an on board generator as well as the heat/AC unit. Normally we don't use the built in generators though, instead using dedicated 15k or whatever units as you can see in the picture. Really neat stuff I think.
I guess it is a DRASH tent. Their only heartbreak was that we probably could have gotten one of the trailer ones, but they didn't even think we would get the tent so they we conservative when asking for it.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 23, 2013

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CommieGIR posted:

I've burned JP-8 in my TDI before, cleaned the motor out

Isn't JP8 like, ridiculously high in sulfur, which would kill your emissions system?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Tents and heaters?

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013

Vasudus posted:

Being a mechanized combat engineer is the loving way to go. It still sucks, but we can make it suck less.

Word.

Best part is how amazed regular grunts are when they see what engineers dream and build up given enough time in place.

Had a dude in our platoon in Iraq make a "pool," out of thrown away fuel berm liner, a SEE truck, some gravel he scabbed from somewhere/someone, and a unattended water buffalo.

Command was okay with that, but drew the line when he started on a putting green.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Dammit_Carl! posted:

Command was okay with that, but drew the line when he started on a putting green.

They wanted it behind the TOC.

udgaards
Mar 20, 2010
Hi spritter that's loving random =) I'd love to hear from you. Say hi to mr. Icelance and Carey from me. Would love to hear form you my mail is udgaardssa at Hotmail dot com.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Dammit_Carl! posted:

Word.

Best part is how amazed regular grunts are when they see what engineers dream and build up given enough time in place.

Had a dude in our platoon in Iraq make a "pool," out of thrown away fuel berm liner, a SEE truck, some gravel he scabbed from somewhere/someone, and a unattended water buffalo.

In Yellowknife we built 3 massive igloos with snow carved polar bears guarding the entrances and a snowman manning a to scale wooden 50 cal made out of branches and random wood. We also made a 4 foot tall chicane coming into the camp out of snow blocks. We were really, really bored. When the infantry guys came back from doing their lovely infantry stuff their commanders made them set up tents in the snowbanks outside our camps and they froze their nuts off for a week while we hung out in heated tents.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Veins McGee posted:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

He wasn't that slow.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I felt someone getting shot in the buttocks was the appropriate response to that sniper

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
CMC getting fired because he was unable to keep his "women don't belong on combat ships" opinion to himself

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
The flight line stories made me think of a time (not the only time) where I was the idiot in question. I was in the back seat of a Prowler one night coming back for a night recovery. This usually involves about 20-30 minutes in the marshal stack before you start the approach. Its fairly common that the dudes in the backseat take a little power nap before starting the approach and I almost always availed myself of the opportunity. One night taking said nap my hand slipped off my leg and into the ejection seat handle which is basically just a loop. I had one of those moments when you sort of jerk when you come awake and I felt the loving handle actually move up. You have about a 1/2 inch of travel before you actually initiate the ejection sequence. I carefully took my hand out and pushed the block back down. I'm pretty sure I almost poo poo myself and my heart felt like it was about to come out of my chest. I can't even imagine standing in front of a board trying to explain exactly how I ejected myself from a perfectly good aircraft. Didnt stop the napping though, I just tucked my hands under the lap belts to avoid that particular occurrence from happening again.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

:stare:

Man I clenched reading that one. God drat.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551832

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Man I clenched reading that one. God drat.

Yeah my adrenaline got going a little bit just writing that. And now whenever I do that thing where you jerk awake I get that same panicky feeling. That wasnt the only time I almost mistakenly ejected myself; I'll write that one another day.

:stare: :wtc:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

vulturesrow posted:

The flight line stories made me think of a time (not the only time) where I was the idiot in question. I was in the back seat of a Prowler one night coming back for a night recovery. This usually involves about 20-30 minutes in the marshal stack before you start the approach. Its fairly common that the dudes in the backseat take a little power nap before starting the approach and I almost always availed myself of the opportunity. One night taking said nap my hand slipped off my leg and into the ejection seat handle which is basically just a loop. I had one of those moments when you sort of jerk when you come awake and I felt the loving handle actually move up. You have about a 1/2 inch of travel before you actually initiate the ejection sequence. I carefully took my hand out and pushed the block back down. I'm pretty sure I almost poo poo myself and my heart felt like it was about to come out of my chest. I can't even imagine standing in front of a board trying to explain exactly how I ejected myself from a perfectly good aircraft. Didnt stop the napping though, I just tucked my hands under the lap belts to avoid that particular occurrence from happening again.

Being in the back, would you have been the only one going for the ride, or would you be bringing all your friends with you?

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

Perfectly good airplane

Only a half inch before you rocket out? :stare:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Godholio posted:

Being in the back, would you have been the only one going for the ride, or would you be bringing all your friends with you?

Nope just me. Only the two guys in the front can initiate the entire command eject sequence.

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

Only a half inch before you rocket out? :stare:

Yeah. I wasnt able to sleep for a while after we landed.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Holy poo poo man.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Did you catch any poo poo back on the boat for being (or nearly being) a premature ejaculator? Or did you keep it to yourself?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
If you can keep a mistake a secret that isn't harmful to the jet or its occupants but only to you, you do.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

holocaust bloopers posted:

If you can keep a mistake a secret that isn't harmful to the jet or its occupants but only to you, you do.

Well I spread the word quietly. I didnt want someone else to do something similar. I took some ribbing but thats the name of the game.

Brittle Beard
Dec 10, 2012

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Man I clenched reading that one.

Yeah, I had a bead of sweat slowly trickling down my brow. I used to have to work around the ACES II occasionally and was always super paranoid that I would somehow activate it. Stupid, but I was still afraid.

Is there a name for fear of being ejected from a cockpit? Ejectaphobia?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Brittle Beard posted:

Yeah, I had a bead of sweat slowly trickling down my brow. I used to have to work around the ACES II occasionally and was always super paranoid that I would somehow activate it. Stupid, but I was still afraid.

Is there a name for fear of being ejected from a cockpit? Ejectaphobia?

I would call that being normal. ;) My real flight line phobia if you will is rotors and props; they scare the ever loving poo poo out of me. On the flight deck I would go to great lengths to stay the hell away from them. The times I've had to get in a turning helo were unpleasant for me to say the least.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

I would call that being normal. ;) My real flight line phobia if you will is rotors and props; they scare the ever loving poo poo out of me. On the flight deck I would go to great lengths to stay the hell away from them. The times I've had to get in a turning helo were unpleasant for me to say the least.
Time I was an idiot. I've never been properly trained in flight line etiquette, when something needs to be done people who are big sticklers for the rules tend to throw them right out the window. One time a few years back I was retrieving some stuff we'd left in a mechanical room and thought 75 feet back from a F-16 running up it's engines was OK to cross. Needless to say some crew chief came over right afterward with a friendly warning about what to do in the future, and said he was really surprised I didn't get knocked on my rear end.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Oh yeah, my idiot story. I was on det and was dared to do a cartwheel into the rotor arc to pull the chocks. So I did it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Casimir Radon posted:

Time I was an idiot. I've never been properly trained in flight line etiquette, when something needs to be done people who are big sticklers for the rules tend to throw them right out the window. One time a few years back I was retrieving some stuff we'd left in a mechanical room and thought 75 feet back from a F-16 running up it's engines was OK to cross. Needless to say some crew chief came over right afterward with a friendly warning about what to do in the future, and said he was really surprised I didn't get knocked on my rear end.

That's a nice crew chief, I know a few who would have been content to watch you get blown on your rear end and laugh.

Engine intakes always spooked me a little, I was always extra cautious around them. I blame my old man for telling a graphic story of when he saw a guy get ingested by a B-66 engine in Thailand.

He said they had to shovel bits of "hamburger" off the tarmac :gonk:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Reminds me of one of the luckiest guys ever to go to sea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF3Iz7b95-8

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

We had a ET that needed to drive onto the airfield and to the LSO shack at night. The ground controller who was busy watching Stargate or something isn't paying attention and just blindly approves the request. To get where the tech needed to go she had to cut close to the Helo hot-fueling site and decides that it'd be a good idea to turn off all the lights on the truck and the orange strobe and head straight for the 60 in the pit. One of the linemen sees her coming and waves her away and from their account she was inches away from driving a chop-top. Lost her airfield license for that (guy on ground got his qual pulled too). I still cant figure out why the hell you'd turn off all your lights before trying to cross next to a helo. Still makes me scratch my head.

This isn't about one person specifically. We had a guy get drunk pier-side at the beer tent and dragged to his rack. He gets naked and sneaks out of the berthing and its forcibly returned and someone is assigned to watch the door so it doesnt happen again. We leave port in the morning and about a day after that people come looking for him because he's missed his watch. Manoverboard is called and guy is nowhere to be found. The ship is searched top to bottom and its suggested that his chief had ripped his rear end open the day we left for his drunken naked antics and the dude might of jumped off the back of the ship. The ship is turned around and we are about 2 days into a search and rescue operation now, and guy hasnt been seen in over 3 days. This isn't about him either, dude had problems and what happened is sad and there is nothing good to be said for suicide.

Skipper gets on the 1MC and offers head of the line privileges for anyone who finds him. First in chow line, first off the boat at every port, first in line for EVERYTHING and anything you want. Again this is 3 days into dude missing, the chiefs have already inventoried and carted all his stuff from his locker and his rack. The search goes on for like a week before we are forced to give up (the water is warm enough that survival time was based on sharks, not hypothermia). I swear there was at least 10 people an hour til about when the search ended knocking on our berthing door asking if they could search there and check his rack. I get it, its a very nice reward if you find him. Seriously though, after 3 or 4 days of looking for this guy did people really think that everyone had been just too lazy to throw back the curtains on his rack? Like they'd find him curled up in there playing the ships best game of hide-n-seek?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I guess they never found him, huh?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Scratch Monkey posted:

I guess they never found him, huh?

Sadly no. We ran an extremely thorough search and rescue operation but out there was a ton of garbage, a fridge for example, and lots of livestock. Apparently if cows die while being shipped as cargo they just dump the carcasses off the side, thus the shark thing I mentioned... warm water and free food.

His rack was checked like 10 times before we started just slamming the door shut in people's faces. At first we let people check and acted like we were surprised nobody had thought to check there and welcomed them in, then we got sick of it because half of us were directly involved in the search effort and working long shifts and they were just waking us up at all hours.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Are suicides / overboards common at sea?

Beria
Nov 13, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Are suicides / overboards common at sea?

I heard of one on my first deployment on a small boy in our strike group. This girl, an OS, just went missing, then I guess they found her a day or two later in the water. They had to fly her off our boat. It was some really sad poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That can't be a good way to punch your ticket. At all.