Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Love the second one. Would be a cool band photo.

Had a composition concert today where two of the performers were kids who had won a scholarship. I asked them to stay afterwards to get some pictures of them. (got permission for public use as well)

DSC03216 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF3120 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

untitled by francography, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Just mucking around again with a LED panel.

Adam by alkanphel, on Flickr

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

2013-689 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Dr. Shockwave posted:

So last night there was this 'meet and greet' of local photographers. Really awesome concept. They hired a model and let like 20 of us take her picture all at the same time.

One model for TWENTY photographers? What the hell is the use? Even having three or four would have been infinitely better.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah it would work if you formed a line, but then it would look like you were running a train on her at a gang bang.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

That's the norm for a lot of Fashion/Glamour/Whatever photography groups around here. A bunch of guys bunching together to grab the same shot of a girl posing under CFL softboxes.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

rio posted:

Love the second one. Would be a cool band photo.

Had a composition concert today where two of the performers were kids who had won a scholarship. I asked them to stay afterwards to get some pictures of them. (got permission for public use as well)

DSC03216 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF3120 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

I love her expression on the harp, but I'd like to see the top of the harp and the bottom of her elbow. I think they may have worked better if the harp was portrait and the piano was landscape, so that the photo matched the orientation of the instrument.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

DSCF0854.jpg by Ashade76, on Flickr

efcso
Sep 11, 2001

I'm watching you!
Arse-sorted portrait shots.

I'm open to any and all feedback, especially when it comes to lighting & composition. I've only ever done one full portrait shoot in my life. I'm trying to incorporate as much of the assembled wisdom of the Dorkroom as I can, but I think I have a loooong way to go. :cripes:

Former Japanese International Shinji Ono.

20130417-IMG_7749 by efcso1, on Flickr

Current Icelandic International women's goalkeeper Thora Helgadottir

600D-5059 - Thora Helgadottir by efcso1, on Flickr

England U/19 Women's goalkeeper Lizzie Durack

600D-5050 by efcso1, on Flickr

My usual 'test subject' - Number 2 son

20130406-IMG_0141 by efcso1, on Flickr

20130419-IMG_0413 by efcso1, on Flickr

Number 1 son

20130405-IMG_9981 by efcso1, on Flickr

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Got the idea for a homemade light ring from a local photographer, The Photo Fiend, and decided to attempt my own. First two portraits with it.

105A7978_web by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

105A7957_web by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

efcso posted:

Arse-sorted portrait shots.
:sports:

These are all under by a stop or a stop and a half.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Some candids from this morning.

IMG_6179 by philip painter, on Flickr

IMG_6169 by philip painter, on Flickr

IMG_6158 by philip painter, on Flickr

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Amanda by xxyzx road, on Flickr

efcso
Sep 11, 2001

I'm watching you!

XTimmy posted:

These are all under by a stop or a stop and a half.

Cheers!

I think I have a bit of a tendency to under-expose when I'm shooting, especially in low light.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

CarrotFlowers posted:

Got the idea for a homemade light ring from a local photographer, The Photo Fiend, and decided to attempt my own. First two portraits with it.

How did you make the light ring?

relish_fetish
Jan 24, 2012

Really enjoy this shot, clean. Her hair maybe a bit awkward the way it is Falling between her legs.

I tried my hand at portraits a couple weeks back and these were the ones I was happy with. Not much of any processing as I am new to Lightroom and am very inferior with it.

Mitch 2

Mitch 3

I did a fish eye shot for fun too, and I know the reflector is a bit noticeable in the shades, will edit that out once I get better at Lightroom.

Mitch 1

Since this is my first go, please do offer advice so I can improve. Obviously a run through Lightroom with a person skilled would do them some good. Also they may all be too yellow due to the gold reflector, but wanted warm summer shots.

Thank you.
Relish

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Subyng posted:

How did you make the light ring?

8 incandescent lightbulbs screwed onto a wooden ring.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

relish_fetish posted:

Really enjoy this shot, clean. Her hair maybe a bit awkward the way it is Falling between her legs.

Thank you. Yeah, I was going back and forth on deciding on whether or not to clone out her hair. It's kind of interesting looking, but a bit distracting.

uber
Apr 13, 2009

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

relish_fetish posted:

I tried my hand at portraits a couple weeks back and these were the ones I was happy with. Not much of any processing as I am new to Lightroom and am very inferior with it.

Since this is my first go, please do offer advice so I can improve. Obviously a run through Lightroom with a person skilled would do them some good. Also they may all be too yellow due to the gold reflector, but wanted warm summer shots.

Thank you.
Relish

Shot #2 is a really unflattering angle, imo. You gotta be real careful when shooting from the side like that.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Took some friends to a cheap studio and made portraits.

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

efcso
Sep 11, 2001

I'm watching you!

thetzar posted:

Took some friends to a cheap studio and made portraits.

This.

I dunno why, but it caught my eye and kept it. The others are good, but this is the pick of the bunch for me visually, and I could imagine several different stories behind it.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Rules.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

relish_fetish posted:

Mitch 2

Mitch 3

I did a fish eye shot for fun too, and I know the reflector is a bit noticeable in the shades, will edit that out once I get better at Lightroom.

Mitch 1

Thank you.
Relish

Are you using the gold side of the reflector for these?

It's generally a bad idea to do this because you're taking the colour of the natural sunlight and changing it to a really unnatural colour. O would just go with a white one (or maybe a silver, iunno) but I tend to stay well away from the gold as it really messes up skin tones.

(also, if you sign your posts on SA you're gonna have a bad time)

It's school leaving time here in the UK so I took a good friend of mines daughter and her BFF out for a shoot as they're going on to different further education type places

relish_fetish
Jan 24, 2012

AceClown posted:

Are you using the gold side of the reflector for these?

It's generally a bad idea to do this because you're taking the colour of the natural sunlight and changing it to a really unnatural colour. O would just go with a white one (or maybe a silver, iunno) but I tend to stay well away from the gold as it really messes up skin tones.

(also, if you sign your posts on SA you're gonna have a bad time)

I did use the gold side, the silver seemed a bit too strong, will keep that in mind next go around. Thanks for the advice. Sorry about the poor etiquette with signing the post.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Gold in general is poor because it's a lot easier to add a gold/sun tone in PS than to take one out. I find it's best to stick to neutral reflectors like silver/white which gives you a better base image to process.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

My cousin and her friend sell hair, here's an image for the friends "bio page".

Jen by francography, on Flickr

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Not trying to Reichstag here but they look quite dead. Maybe selectively desaturate rather than just bringing the colour down everywhere.

somnambulist posted:

My cousin and her friend sell hair, here's an image for the friends "bio page".

Jen by francography, on Flickr

Get rid of that bunch of fly hairs on the top of the 'throw' of hair, then do your best to clean the rest up too. Otherwise this is solid.

relish_fetish posted:

I did use the gold side, the silver seemed a bit too strong, will keep that in mind next go around. Thanks for the advice. Sorry about the poor etiquette with signing the post.
Polyboard/foamcore or bust baby, silver reflectors for rimlights or direct light only. Get your $20 softbox on!

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 29, 2013

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

XTimmy posted:

Not trying to Reichstag here

:psyduck: what are you even saying?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

A couple of shots from a session with my friend a couple of weeks ago.

Untitled by geeves, on Flickr

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Where were these taken?

geeves posted:

I don't think the view of her nostrils in the first picture is very flattering and I'm not that keen on the super blown out background causing her forehead to go hazy. The second one is pretty solid though.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

geeves posted:

Yup, not a fan of #1. Really like #2. Consider cropping #2 a little tighter though.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

MrBlandAverage posted:

:psyduck: what are you even saying?

xenilk posted:

Tested Sue Bryce's vflat/natural light approach... pretty neat :)

IMG_2352 by avoyer, on Flickr

Reichstag posted:

If by nice you mean sickly, yes.

Is mentally filed away for me as "Reichstaggin'"

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

XTimmy posted:

Excuse me, but I don't believe Reichstag has an exclusive claim on valid criticism of post-processing. :confused:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

XTimmy posted:

I'm not sure we're friends anymore.

I mean not that we were before, but certainly not now.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

MrBlandAverage posted:

Excuse me, but I don't believe Reichstag has an exclusive claim on valid criticism of post-processing. :confused:
I like his work, just the whole brief, slightly acerbic reply thing he has going on :)

SoundMonkey posted:

I'm not sure we're friends anymore.

I mean not that we were before, but certainly not now.

Oh god I'll shutup now.

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 30, 2013

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

big scary monsters posted:

Where were these taken?

At the Celtic Games in Albuquerque, New Mexico. It was held at the Balloon Fiesta Park.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

XTimmy posted:

I like his work, just the whole brief, slightly acerbic reply thing he has going on :)

Oh god I'll shutup now.

I think there's enough people who come in and don't "get" what Reichstag is doing that mentioning him without context is often seen as uninformed criticism of his work (which I like very much).

I have been probated for this very thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Whitezombi posted:

At the Celtic Games in Albuquerque, New Mexico. It was held at the Balloon Fiesta Park.
Haha, I knew that despite all the classic British cars it couldn't be anywhere in the UK because of all the flags. Here flags are only flown at football matches, on government buildings, or by racists. :britain:

Some nice car pics, though. I also like this one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/natebol/8751584031/