Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

uh zip zoom posted:

Okay, my first PC has become the king of Norway and Sweden, and controls three of the five Norse holy sites. I want to reform paganism, but I don't have the 50% church authority. How do I improve that?

You can rack up to 10% by looting Temple holdings, and successful Pagan Conquests & Prepared Invasions also work.

Otherwise, you can beeline for the final two sites and you'll be able to reform without the authority requirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

uh zip zoom posted:

Okay, my first PC has become the king of Norway and Sweden, and controls three of the five Norse holy sites. I want to reform paganism, but I don't have the 50% church authority. How do I improve that?

The norse capturing additional holy sites will increase it by 10% each, and you get boosts for winning holy wars - when I did it, I put four sites under the control of the norse and joined 3 holy wars against different english counties to get the boost. It seems that all holy wars count the same, so you can declare multiple against small states at the same time to get a big boost.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Reveilled posted:

Is the give_title debug command broken for everyone else?

Remember that Paradox made certain provinces change name depending on which culture owns it but the province name "in the game" is still the same as originally. So for example the duchy Svitjod is actually d_uppland if I am not totally mistaken.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Jaramin posted:

I think Paradox may have already chosen "Augustus" doing a little digging around the history files.

They're actually doing it right, by making it a trait (that, presumably, overrides his name to be Augustus). It should be Princeps Augustus is all.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Only really Augustus himself bothered with the Princeps charade.

Tank Sinatra
Dec 26, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

They're actually doing it right, by making it a trait (that, presumably, overrides his name to be Augustus). It should be Princeps Augustus is all.

Look again - that is Augustus. Dead since 24. The whole imperial history from Augustus to Titus is visible on the right.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Spiderfist Island posted:

I would just go with the default Christian CoA for now, unless you want to make your life difficult. Hopefully someone who isn't poo poo at graphical design can whip up some toga clothing for the portraits. Also, Roman culture is already in the game (with Mediterranean faces :barf:) and has a lot of names/etc. I can crap up some specific traits or shields if you want!

I'll be done with work in like 2 hours (yay Friday), so I'll start actually trying to learn this stuff then.

If you wanted to make an awesome shield for the Roman Empire, or for some relevant kingdom(s) I'm certainly not going to complain!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

uh zip zoom posted:

You also get 1% moral authority for each of those " I'm a norse and I want your land" CBs, so if Ireland is still fragmented with a ton of lords, you can declare war on each of them, and steamroll them to get a decent bonus to your Moral Authority.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

DrSunshine posted:

So I've managed to take over Norway as the jarls of Iceland, and scattered my dynasty all over the kingdom by revoking the various upstart vassals who dared to revolt against their new Icelandic kings. While the kingdom is now no longer in any danger of fracturing due to Gavelkind, my successor was a sort of weakling who had to abdicate the throne to his younger brother, and is now living out his days in the family's ancestral home in Vestisland, as a vassal of the High Chief of Iceland. The dynasty is safe as Kings of Norway, but I'd still like to work back up to being a king again.

How should I start? I've never actually stabbed my way to victory before, I'd always done it through declaring independence and working my way back through conquest.

I had that happen in my current game when one of my emperors had all of his adult sons die before him so when he died the title went to his 6 year old son. I pretty much just expanded my power base in the meantime and eventually a faction formed to restore me to the crown.

Note: the whole succession war got really flaky since I couldn't figure out how to join in on the war and had to first win an independence war before it would let me join their war.

On a different note, when is the "Become king of XYZ" ambition available? The only time I ever seem to see it is at the beginning of games.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
So I'm trying to deal with the cultural localization files for the hellenic mod I'm working on but will probably never finish. How do I override the pagan titles? My hellenic dudes will have all the titles I made if they're culturally roman and catholic or orthodox. But if I make them Hellenic they revert to High Chief.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Is the Vinland event a chain with a chance of success/failure, or is it a one time thing?

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Schizotek posted:

So I'm trying to deal with the cultural localization files for the hellenic mod I'm working on but will probably never finish. How do I override the pagan titles? My hellenic dudes will have all the titles I made if they're culturally roman and catholic or orthodox. But if I make them Hellenic they revert to High Chief.

I know that Vikings have different titles than other pagans. Maybe check their code/localizations to see what's different with them?

Annath posted:

I'll be done with work in like 2 hours (yay Friday), so I'll start actually trying to learn this stuff then.

If you wanted to make an awesome shield for the Roman Empire, or for some relevant kingdom(s) I'm certainly not going to complain!

The Roman Empire already has a shield from Legacy of Rome. If you don't have that expansion yet I'd highly recommend getting that even though it's Byzantine-oriented since it also includes standing armies and the Augustus trait. "Augustus" is given to any character that holds the title of Roman Emperor and gives a minor prestige boost. (also, get the 1.10 beta patch if you have Steam since it includes a Roman culture and the Hellenic religion.)

Either way, the amount of modding that people are suddenly doing is giving me a kick in the pants to see if I can rebalance the Karlings and make the HRE form more often with a Carolingian-focused mod, while also making it fairly possible to reform Greater Francia. Would it be out of the question or redundant to make a Karling trait that functions like being a Sayyid or Mirza for events?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Qwo posted:

Is the Vinland event a chain with a chance of success/failure, or is it a one time thing?

I'm pretty sure it's just a flavor event that sets up the Aztec invasion.

e:So I found a thing looking around in the files. Did anyone mention this yet?

CelticUnitPackDLC;Celtic Unit Pack;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
CelticPortraitsDLC;Celtic Portraits;;;;;;;;;;;;;x

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 7, 2013

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Schizotek posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just a flavor event that sets up the Aztec invasion.

e:So I found a thing looking around in the files. Did anyone mention this yet?

CelticUnitPackDLC;Celtic Unit Pack;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
CelticPortraitsDLC;Celtic Portraits;;;;;;;;;;;;;x

GMG has it listed already:
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/de/en/pc/games/strategy/crusader-kings-ii-celtic-portraits/

And it actually looks good.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Jaramin posted:

I think Paradox may have already chosen "Augustus" doing a little digging around the history files.

Yeah, you get this when you restore the Roman Empire too.

And yes, my sons did all die in 'suspicious' accidents, until the genius sons from my newest wife were my heirs. :stare:

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

At this rate the only people with the default white guy faces will be the French, the Germans, and the Anglo-Saxons.

Am I the only person who hates that the post-norse Scandinavian units and characters are still wearing furs and viking poo poo even in like 1300 and that the Magyars start off wearing western European clothes? Also, that Republics still wear clothes in 1066 that haven't even been designed yet?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

At this rate the only people with the default white guy faces will be the French, the Germans, and the Anglo-Saxons.

Am I the only person who hates that the post-norse Scandinavian units and characters are still wearing furs and viking poo poo even in like 1300 and that the Magyars start off wearing western European clothes? Also, that Republics still wear clothes in 1066 that haven't even been designed yet?

Nah. I can barely notice that stuff compared to my seething blinding rage at everything that is wrong with Iceland. Hint:ALLOFIT

e: WHERE THE gently caress IS SNORRI YOU FUCKS!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

I know that Vikings have different titles than other pagans. Maybe check their code/localizations to see what's different.
The Roman Empire already has a shield from Legacy of Rome. If you don't have that expansion yet I'd highly recommend getting that even though it's Byzantine-oriented since it also includes standing armies and the Augustus trait. "Augustus" is given to any character that holds the title of Roman Emperor and gives a minor prestige boost. (also, get the 1.10 beta patch if you have Steam since it includes a Roman culture and the Hellenic religion.)

Does the Roman Empire have an actual set of requirements to form it like the others, or would I have to add it?

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Schizotek posted:

e: WHERE THE gently caress IS SNORRI YOU FUCKS!

...Doesn't he come after and before both the start dates?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Rejected Fate posted:

...Doesn't he come after and before both the start dates?

They have more than one start date for vanilla. He was born in 1179 so he falls well within the timeline of the game.
But the capital of Vestiland is a town that wasn't founded until the eighteenth century. And the capital of Autisland used to be an island with a population of <200 that has never held any political significance whatsoever. Iceland was sort of an afterthought in every regard. Which is understandable. But I like Iceland so it bothers me.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 7, 2013

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Annath posted:

Does the Roman Empire have an actual set of requirements to form it like the others, or would I have to add it?

It can only be created through a special event as it is but the title itself exists and can be used in scripting. You can try if it works in game by giving it to someone "give_title e_roman_empire <charid>".

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I keep getting CTDs when I get the prompt as, say, the Count of Gotland in 867, that the Norse religion can be reformed, but when I click the religion tab, I just get five black circles and a crash. It's actually preventing me from starting a Norse campaign.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Annath posted:

If the Byzantine Empire reconquers pretty much all of its old Territory then it can take a decision that turns it into the Roman Empire.

Thesoldier
Aug 15, 2004

Seek not greatness, but instead truth, and you shall find both.
Isn't there also a placeholder for a Roman Republic??

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Thesoldier posted:

Isn't there also a placeholder for a Roman Republic??

I'm pretty sure you get that in the event that, as a Merchant Republic, you restore the Roman Empire. IIRC, you even become the Consul, though that may be from CK2+.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I remember that there was a Roman Paganism thread in the modding forum on Paradox Plaza where the OP outlined a bunch of ideas and even made a new UI. Can't find it for the life of me, it was already an old thread when I saw it before the release of TOG.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Guildencrantz posted:

Roll with it, prepare to go into damage control mode, rebuild when you see an opportunity.

Dealing with disastrous successions is half the fun of this game, really.

Yeah I think I will.

I forgot the Icing on the cake though.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/wezlar/screenshots/?appid=203770&sort=newestfirst&browsefilter=myfiles&view=imagewall

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Reposting from last page - how do you get more then one province per war? Having a ten year treaty (or 350 gold assassin) after each war is slowing me down quite a bit. I have the armies to conquer Scotland, but apparently not the legal backing.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

LowellDND posted:

Reposting from last page - how do you get more then one province per war? Having a ten year treaty (or 350 gold assassin) after each war is slowing me down quite a bit. I have the armies to conquer Scotland, but apparently not the legal backing.

Well, you can holy war for Duchies, but otherwise unless you have a claim on the entire kingdom that's as fast as you can do it.

Or if you're the Fylkir then you can call a Great Holy War and just take the entire kingdom, which is great.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

LowellDND posted:

If your dude has a strong claim on multiple counties, or valid weak claims, he can press them all at once.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

LowellDND posted:

Get a claim on a duchy or the kingdom (or multiple personal province claims at once) and you can gain more than one province in a claim war.

edit: wow you guys are fast.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

It's actually amazing they haven't done the standard LOTR mod yet. Of course, now that looting and destruction is an actual thing, it becomes more and more likely.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Get a claim on a duchy or the kingdom (or multiple personal province claims at once) and you can gain more than one province in a claim war.

edit: wow you guys are fast.

Interesting. Where is the claim all button?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

LowellDND posted:

Interesting. Where is the claim all button?

Rules: The claimant must be from your dynasty or their claim part of your De Jure Empire if you are going for a kingdom claim. For a duchy they must be part of your de jure kingdom etc.

To get one, invite claimants to your court, matrilianially marry them with your daughters, then murder the claimant so their kid has a claim on the title. Then you can use that to declare war against someone, unless it's only a weak claim in which case you need to wait for a succession war/female ruler/regency before pressing it. Oh and if the claimant's claim 'cannot be passed on to successor unless pressed in war' just invade for the claimant, then kill him, then offer vassalisation to the kid.

It's actually pretty simple once you get your head around it and it makes consolidating an empire after you first form it very easy.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

TjyvTompa posted:

It can only be created through a special event as it is but the title itself exists and can be used in scripting. You can try if it works in game by giving it to someone "give_title e_roman_empire <charid>".

So that works, some tiny little earl in England is the Roman Emperor now.

How would I go about making a trigger to form the Empire for non-byzantines? It could use the same list of territories, but instead of an event it would be the standard "create title" function.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

LowellDND posted:

If you have a claim on a duchy you can grab that duchy and the duke's vassals in the area in a single war. If you have multiple personal claims, you can press these in a single war*. If you and the King of Scotland are both catholic, you might be able to request an invasion to take the whole kingdom if you are smaller than Scotland and the Pope likes you more. If you are of different religions and you are not an unreformed pagan, you can declare holy wars to take a duchy at a time, and if you happen to be the reformed head of the Norse church, you can declare a Great Holy War after 1100 to take the whole kingdom.

But since you're talking about a county at a time I assume you're unreformed norse using County Conquest CBs. In which case my suggestion would be to wait for Scotland to fall into a civil war, and attempt to ninja counties off of rebelling vassals. You have to be quick because if they lose to scotland before you win then your war just ends, but if Scotland were to completely break down you could, for example, declare five wars at once and try to steal one county off each rebelling vassal.

That, or park your chancellor in Scottish provinces and fabricate claims for you.

* EDIT: related, you asked where the button for this is, so just to be clear you need to have multiple claims in your own right (that is to say, they appear in the claims row under the titles row on your character screen). De jure claims don't count, conquests don't count, holy wars don't count, family members' claims don't count. Nothing counts for "press all claims" except the claims that you personally have. But if you personally have multiple pressable claims on a single realm, you get a special "press all claims" CB when you declare war.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 7, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Reveilled posted:

But since you're talking about a county at a time I assume you're unreformed norse using County Conquest CBs. In which case my suggestion would be to wait for Scotland to fall into a civil war, and attempt to ninja counties off of rebelling vassals. You have to be quick because if they lose to scotland before you win then your war just ends, but if Scotland were to completely break down you could, for example, declare five wars at once and try to steal one county off each rebelling vassal.

If you go with this method, if you have enough men to compete and preferably after they take losses against the rebels, try to engage the main Scottish army. By doing this you'll prolong the war since the Scottish stack will then have to replenish in order to siege down the rebels. If you get lucky, you might even inspire more vassals to rebel since the Scottish King will have diminished manpower and they'll take advantage of it if they have beef with him. Thus, you'll get even more potential snipes off the war.

As a bonus, during succession crises, if you can gently caress everyone up enough but keep the loyalists down at the same time so that the rebels win, you'll be able to declare war on the new King if he wasn't a participant in the civil war and his levies should still be depleted compared to yours.

This also works as general advice when your target is big but prone to civil war, like Byzantium and the HRE if a young and/or terrible Emperor takes over.

vvv: True, I have noticed that the AI does tend to make peace deals that screw you out of potential snipes. Though it did happen even before 1.10 came out so it might just be an AI quirk designed to keep us filthy humans down.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jun 8, 2013

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

If you go with this method, if you have enough men to compete and preferably after they take losses against the rebels, to engage the main Scottish army. By doing this you'll prolong the war since the Scottish stack will then have to replenish in order to siege down the rebels. If you get lucky, you might even inspire more vassals to rebel since the Scottish King will have diminished manpower and they'll take advantage of it if they have beef with him. Thus, you'll get even more potential snipes off the war.

This also works as general advice when your target is big but prone to civil war, like Byzantium and the HRE if a young and/or terrible Emperor takes over.

This doesn't work as well any more in 1.10 as the AI seems much more likely to white peace, even against rebels, if they have no army left.

Might just be my imagination though...

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Is anyone else running Girl Power, and finding that you have to enable it every single time you play? CK2+ seemed to save which modules I had turned on, but Girl Power doesn't seem to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
I sailed an army of 25,000 men to the Holy Land all the way from Ireland on a crusade, but it won't let me disembark them and start killing heathens :black101:. What gives?

• Locked thread