Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Here's an old guide to FFT Calculators that's still relevant, it explains the basic class mechanics and a few other things.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197339-final-fantasy-tactics/faqs/3877

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Apocron posted:

Any advice for collecting JP on a calculator in FFT? They're so slow! At the moment I just have Ramza keep trying to speed her up and have her cast haste on herself then on everyone else.
That's how I do it. Haste yourself, then start hasting other people. Do not ever move your calculator. (Not moving starts your Time gauge at 20/100 rather than 0/100, which adds up.) Give her as much speed gear as you can. (Thief Hat, Hermes Shoes, Hydrascale Bag, Mirage Vest or Ninja Gear.)

In Chapter 3, you get another character with Ramza's skillset, which means 2 people with Tailwind. (He's new to the PSP/iOS version; he has a slightly better base class but worse magic stats.)

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 14, 2013

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I played FFT on Playstation and like half way through on Gameboy and none of this poo poo seems familiar at all, like totally some moon language. Is this a different game entirely?

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

bunnielab posted:

I played FFT on Playstation and like half way through on Gameboy and none of this poo poo seems familiar at all, like totally some moon language. Is this a different game entirely?

...Shakespearean English? It's just a different script. The Gameboy ones are totally separate though.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
FFT: One if the easier way to level JP is to have their secondary ability be the squire's fundamentals and simply have them cast focus every turn. Haste and plus speed on them when you can for extra turns. Might not be all that effective with regard to the fight, but it will rack up points easy enough.

edit:

bunnielab posted:

I went from FFT on PSX to FFT on iOS. It's like 95% the same game. I'm fairly sure most of the changes happened in the PSP version though.

Some of the story dialogue is a little different. Many of the skills and abilities have new names (eg, Blade Grasp -> Shirahadori). They added the Dark Knight and Onion Knight classes. But all of the mechanics and such are the exact same.

Voodoo fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 14, 2013

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Goddamn it.

So evidently the Sword & Glory developers had an indiegogo fundraiser for their next project that failed.

It was titled 'The Beast in the Cave' after the HP Lovecraft short story, and from what I can gather it was going to be a survival horror with roguelike elements.

Granted this was planned to be a Windows and Mac release so this is not strictly iOS related. However, like many of you I can't put Sword & Glory down, so I would have liked to have kicked them a couple bucks for their next endeavor and seen what magic they cooked up.

Particularly since they describe The Beast in the Cave this way...

quote:

The game in short: you are lost in a cave, and must find a way out. But before you see sunlight again, you must fight hunger, exhaustion, loss of sanity and deal with the pale abominations that lurk in the unyielding darkness. You will encounter mysteries and horror, and learn to abhor the sunless dark of the rocky depths.

quote:

Main Features:

Survivalism - you have to eat and rest to keep your strength up
Permadeath - death is a serious business
Sanity - you can experience temporary Shock, and can gradually descent in to full blown Madness (which does not come without its perks...)
Light - Manage your light sources carefully, or be forced to toil in darkness
Procedural Caves - no googling of maps, and you can never know for sure what lies behind the next corner

quote:

The Beast in the Cave is a horror-survival game based on a fascinating story by H.P. Lovecraft called The Beast in the Cave. The player is a tourist who is lost in a massive cave, and needs to get out before he succumbs to hunger, fatigue and many dangers that lurk in the cave. As the player advances, he begins to unravel the mystery behind a colony of consumptives that lived in the cave many years earlier. The game is played from a top-down perspective and includes light puzzles, exploration, chases, combat and survival.

Lovecraft's original story, written in 1905 and first published in 1918, can be read and listened to at http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Beast_in_the_Cave. We also highly recommend Nick Gisburne's reading of the story. The game follows the premise of the story, and expands on many elements that are only hinted at.

quote:

When and where will the game be released?

The game will be released when ready, with all probability around June-July 2013, and it will be made available for Windows and Mac, and possibly for Linux. We have not yet decided the channel of distribution. The game does not yet have an age rating, but it does include violence, horror themes and cannibalism, and is not intended for small children.

Everything about this sounds awesome.

Sources:
http://ifelsemedia.tumblr.com/

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-beast-in-the-cave

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
They really need to figure this "publicity" thing out.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Voodoo posted:

FFT: One if the easier way to level JP is to have their secondary ability be the squire's fundamentals and simply have them cast focus every turn. Haste and plus speed on them when you can for extra turns. Might not be all that effective with regard to the fight, but it will rack up points easy enough.

edit:

I went from FFT on PSX to FFT on iOS. It's like 95% the same game. I'm fairly sure most of the changes happened in the PSP version though.

Some of the story dialogue is a little different. Many of the skills and abilities have new names (eg, Blade Grasp -> Shirahadori). They added the Dark Knight and Onion Knight classes. But all of the mechanics and such are the exact same.
Focus on every turn will cause your mans to hit quite a bit harder, so it can be effective with regards to the fight, but it is a little tedious time/consuming. As you start hitting higher and higher leveled random battles you'll be wanting to form a line and wait for the first couple turns anyway, to let the enemy monsters different move rates work to your advantage.

The only variance to this might be from Chapter 2 on where you'll want Ramza to use Steel to permanently raise his then other party members' Brave, point-by-point, and the aforementioned speed-buffing spells. It may seem tempting to also permanently raise Faith by repeated spell/skill use but high Faith is really double-sided unlike high Brave has absolutely zero downsides (besides using the Treasure Hunter skill I guess).

On my game restart I am doing quite a bit better now that I had a "plan" for how to train different party members. I just got Agrias permanently and I'm at 12 hours playtime. That may sound pretty high but on my first iOS playthrough it took me 20 hours to do the same and I had arguably a way worse party for it. One thing's for sure, FFT may have a high price tag but the hours of play it provides really offsets it, pound-for-pound.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Helical Nightmares posted:

Goddamn it.

So evidently the Sword & Glory developers had an indiegogo fundraiser for their next project that failed.

It was titled 'The Beast in the Cave' after the HP Lovecraft short story, and from what I can gather it was going to be a survival horror with roguelike elements.

Granted this was planned to be a Windows and Mac release so this is not strictly iOS related. However, like many of you I can't put Sword & Glory down, so I would have liked to have kicked them a couple bucks for their next endeavor and seen what magic they cooked up.

Sources:

I seem to remember a 7 Day Roguelike Challenge entry that sounded a lot like this. It had a sanity mechanic and was relatively simple as far as roguelikes go. I remember liking it, and it was of course free. I think it had a fork that made it more complicated, too.

P.S. It was Madness, with the fork being Featurecreeper.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

bunnielab posted:

If you played it on Playstation then it was FFT, but if you played it on Gameboy Advance then it was FFTA (I bet you can guess what the A stood for). FFTA had a substantially different setting and some different mechanics. Maybe you played both and the memories of FFTA sort of overwrote your memories of the original?

Also, the script for FFT got fixed to make up for the horrible translation when it got ported to PSP, along with new animated cutscenes and the Onion Knight and Dark Knight jobs. And that's the version that got ported to iOS.

Option three for why the discussion about the game doesn't feel familiar to you: maybe you just played through it without trying to break it over your knee.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Welp, in Sword & Glory I managed to die with 82609 glory and ridiculous wealth at an very old age against the foreign village champion. That guy is ridiculous. Still I managed to complete every other possible quest and area before that and got married and had kids + fully upgraded my house so I think my guy lived a good life.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
It's the script. It's not 'a slightly changed' translation, its an entirely new translation. Zero lines make it through unscathed, even classics like "Surrender, or die in obscurity!" and "Blame yourself. Or god.", which became the much more verbose and less impactful "Tis your faith and name that betray you, not I."

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Voodoo posted:

edit:

I wish they didn't get rid of the little incantation they'd sometimes do before spells. It was a nice little bit of character to the magic.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Let me drop some FFT knowledge bombs on you.

Bunnielab: the iOS/PSP releases are called The War of The Lions. They redid some stuff for balance, added a new class for all your dudes, and a bunch of new unique characters (Balthier from FFsomething, and Luso, the protagonist from FFTA2 for the DS. Kne of the big things they did was to rewrite the script from Engrish to a more shakespearen flavor which kinda fits for a game set in medieval not-europe.

Levelling tips: send your characters in classes you dont like on the assignments that start appearing the bars in Chapter 2. Your dudes get like 80-150 JP and money/artifacts/poo poo. But it means you dont have to drag your your dudes in unfitting classes into as many as fights

The classic grinding trick is to fight on Mandalia Plains, see to jt that everyone has an ability they can constantly use to earn JP. Monks help your casters have MP via Chakra so they can keep throwing out protects and hastes to your dudes. Knights can cripple the single remaining enemy, ideally a chocobo that can heal itself. Worst case everyone uses accumlate constantly.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I remember something about petrifying 2 characters to block the last monster then leave the other dudes as coward AI so they just run away and buff themselves forever.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Apocron posted:

Originally I thought that calculators multiplied damage but instead it's all about enemy selection. Any hints?

Pick up CT, 5 and 4. Those will generally let you hit everything in the opening round of a fight.

There won't be many second rounds if you're using holy. :getin:

Also if you're in chapter 2 or further you can just send the Calculator on tavern job runs and walk back and forth between two non-fight markers then turn in the job. It's a fast 80-200 JP and adds up.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I remember something about petrifying 2 characters to block the last monster then leave the other dudes as coward AI so they just run away and buff themselves forever.

Easier to just have a mediator chicken the last enemy and maybe use a Knight's Speed Break skill to drop it to 1 speed. It'll take forever for it to recover.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Killing all but one monster and frogging the last worked like a charm too.
Frogs can only attack and do piss poor damage when they do.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
If you're pretty early in the game, though, best thing to do is get a single monster down to low HP and have Mustadio continuously shoot their legs or arms. A Knight with Speed break works well, too.

Just remember to take off all counter-attack reaction abilities! That has ruined a set up for me on more than one occasion.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Ninja with speed break works faster. Your break abilities fire once for each sword.

Mustiado works great with a Knight secondary too; he can use those skills through his gun.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Helical Nightmares posted:

Goddamn it.

Sources:

Cthulu is as lame and overplayed as zombies.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Call Of Cthulhu is not a Call of Duty DLC.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

Let me drop some FFT knowledge bombs on you.

Bunnielab: the iOS/PSP releases are called The War of The Lions. They redid some stuff for balance, added a new class for all your dudes, and a bunch of new unique characters (Balthier from FFsomething, and Luso, the protagonist from FFTA2 for the DS. Kne of the big things they did was to rewrite the script from Engrish to a more shakespearen flavor which kinda fits for a game set in medieval not-europe.

Levelling tips: send your characters in classes you dont like on the assignments that start appearing the bars in Chapter 2. Your dudes get like 80-150 JP and money/artifacts/poo poo. But it means you dont have to drag your your dudes in unfitting classes into as many as fights

The classic grinding trick is to fight on Mandalia Plains, see to jt that everyone has an ability they can constantly use to earn JP. Monks help your casters have MP via Chakra so they can keep throwing out protects and hastes to your dudes. Knights can cripple the single remaining enemy, ideally a chocobo that can heal itself. Worst case everyone uses accumlate constantly.

Alternatively for JP grind give your team a mixture of white mage with raise/cure/protect or shell on 2-3 people and throw rocks and focus on the rest. Then do a random battle and put everyone on healer AI. This will give more jp than bar jobs that require to save and reload at random battles.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Necroneocon posted:

Look at how wrong you are.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Bummey posted:

Look at how wrong you are.

Ok Mr. Tumulus of Fen is a good game (it's terrible), lets make more zombies and cthulu games and maybe combine it with teh slendarman?!?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Necroneocon posted:

Award for the most ironic post/name combo, as well as most incorrect opinion of the year all with only eight words. Impressive.

:golfclap:

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
I live in bizarro world where people think zombie games aren't stale, Steve Jobs and Allah please help me.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Necroneocon posted:

I live in bizarro world where people think zombie games aren't stale, Steve Jobs and Allah please help me.

More like you apparently live in a bizarro world where Cthulhu mythos games are common or something, because that's certainly not the case in the real world. Seriously, I can think of like... three or four maybe, and one of them is a pretty mediocre iOS game. Lovecraft memes and poo poo, sure, but not games.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Paradoxish posted:

More like you apparently live in a bizarro world where Cthulhu mythos games are common or something, because that's certainly not the case in the real world. Seriously, I can think of like... three or four maybe, and one of them is a pretty mediocre iOS game. Lovecraft memes and poo poo, sure, but not games.

There are some pretty high-profile overrated/bad board games/PnP games that rely on the theme to get away with being devoid of other redeeming qualities, but yeah, the video game field isn't as oversatuated.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Necroneocon posted:

Ok Mr. Tumulus of Fen is a good game (it's terrible), lets make more zombies and cthulu games and maybe combine it with teh slendarman?!?

Tumulus of Fen is great shut up :mad:
The word zombie doesn't mean what it once did. Read this for a more eloquent explanation of how I feel. Simon Pegg knows what's up.
Cthulhu, and the rest of Lovecraft's work, has unfortunately suffered a similar bastardization by popular culture. Lovecraft, and similar old pulpy horror like the original Conan the Barbarian stories, is still loving fantastic by itself.
The difference with Slenderman is that it was always stupid dogshit.

iOS stuff

Has anyone had trouble with the new appshopper app lately? No matter what I do, my wishlist and owned tabs will not load, they're just blank white. Deleting and reinstalling doesn't even work.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

runchild posted:

If you played it on Playstation then it was FFT, but if you played it on Gameboy Advance then it was FFTA (I bet you can guess what the A stood for). FFTA had a substantially different setting and some different mechanics. Maybe you played both and the memories of FFTA sort of overwrote your memories of the original?

Also, the script for FFT got fixed to make up for the horrible translation when it got ported to PSP, along with new animated cutscenes and the Onion Knight and Dark Knight jobs. And that's the version that got ported to iOS.

Option three for why the discussion about the game doesn't feel familiar to you: maybe you just played through it without trying to break it over your knee.

Yea, I am going to chalk it up to the pot. But it is disconcerting that I don't remember much of it. My roommate and I played it obsessively, I clearly remember using a kitchen timer to regulate how long a "turn" was and the elaborate penalty scheme we made up for going over your allotted time.

It was near the end of my friend's turn once and there was a shooting right out front of e house. He didn't even get up, just quickly slumped below window level and kept playing.

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

Bummey posted:

Has anyone had trouble with the new appshopper app lately? No matter what I do, my wishlist and owned tabs will not load, they're just blank white. Deleting and reinstalling doesn't even work.

I can access my owned tab, but I'm having the same issue with the wishlist.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

webmeister posted:

Didn't stop Rockstar with GTA :v:

I got this for a dollar a while back and found it to be utterly unplayable because the controls did not translate at all to a touchscreen. I guess I'm not alone in thinking that?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

If anyone interested in FF5 the four job fiesta is starting in about 15 hours. It pretty much the best way to play the game, or else you get stuck grinding the best team for hours (well only if you're a sperg about it, but I'm betting all of you are). The game is easy enough for first time players to enjoy the fiesta Here is the link: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549760

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 15, 2013

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Bummey posted:

"My Apps" is stuck loading. Everything else works fine. Hopefully this is nothing and it will fix itself by the morning.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Warhammer Quest stuff:
Finished both the main quests and wanted to know about other people's experiences (because gently caress doing that again):
Skaven: I teamed up with the assassian, and he seemed to get the deathblows for me on the shamans at the end, never betrayed me or anything. Chose to gas the rats which worked fine, and got an orange staff for my wizard Also, 165 hp unit with 4 attacks, chaos armour, and magic resistance? gently caress yoooooouuuu.

Orcs: Oh dear god, so much hp to cut through. Found the dead body of some count that I guess I pissed off doing that boot quest? Nothing came of it. The full heal artifact is nice though

chanza
Apr 25, 2010
Scurvy Scallywags just went free. It's a nice twist on the match 3 genre. You should get it!

http://appshopper.com/games/scurvy-scallywags

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Wow! That didn't take long! I wonder if it sold badly.

Man in FFT it feels like cheating just giving everyone rubber boots then nuking with my calculator!

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Apocron posted:

Wow! That didn't take long! I wonder if it sold badly.

Man in FFT it feels like cheating just giving everyone rubber boots then nuking with my calculator!

Chameleon robes and holy. Everything dies, your dudes get healed for basically all the HP.

PS make sure you turn autolock off because you it takes a goddamned long time.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

chanza posted:

Scurvy Scallywags just went free. It's a nice twist on the match 3 genre. You should get it!

And I already paid 99c like a sucker :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

chanza posted:

So has anyone gotten far in this? How did you spent your points / what's your general strategy? So far I seem to do best just dumping everything in power.

• Locked thread