Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
So, are there different versions of the album? Leak vs digital vs physical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Me in Reverse posted:

I hate the outro to Send It Up more every time I hear it. Whoever that is sounds like a lovely impression of "Stereotypical Jamaican/Reggae Voice" and it's unlistenable. Kanye's fake accent when he says "Jamaican" sounds better than that guy. gently caress.

Hahahahhahahaha

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I don't care. I don't care. I hate it.

Edit: Google says it's Beenie Man. Apparently I hate Beenie Man, and that's bad. Oh well.

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009
The ending to "Send It Up" is one of my favorite parts of the whole album. It's so ridiculous and comes out of completely nowhere but that's what makes it so great. It doesn't need to be there at all, but I'm really glad it is.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Me in Reverse posted:

I don't care. I don't care. I hate it.

Edit: Google says it's Beenie Man. Apparently I hate Beenie Man, and that's bad. Oh well.

It is bad because you accused someone who is actually from Jamaica of having a fake accent? It's fine if you don't like it but that was straight ignorant.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

You're misreading. I GET that he is Jamaican. His verse sounds like a caricature of Jamaican voices. Which is why I don't like it, or presumably, him. He inflects on every loving vowel and it's awful.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
You like fake Jamaican accents more than real ones. That is what you are trying to say (but don't realize it).

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Spotify lists God as one of the features on "I am a God" and I don't know if it's intentional but that's funny.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The comment about Kanye's fake accent was a joke. But let's drop this derail. I'm awful.

Skeezy posted:

Spotify lists God as one of the features on "I am a God" and I don't know if it's intentional but that's funny.

Please be intentional.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
On iTunes God is the only feature listed.

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
Who is the one that says the opening line to "Black Skinhead?" Sounds like Lupe. Maybe it's me. Anything confirmed?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Can of Cloud posted:

Who is the one that says the opening line to "Black Skinhead?" Sounds like Lupe. Maybe it's me. Anything confirmed?

I'm guessing it's not you.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I am a God (ft. God) is how most of the leaked tracklists had it so I am pretty sure it is intended (by Kanye). Why not?

Edit: Blood on the Leaves is by far my favorite song on the album. The TNGHT beat, the Nina Simone sample, the lyrics, and even Ye's singing all work so well together. It is one of the few track where all the elements coalesce in perfect harmony.

This is the type of song I look for from Kanye because only he could pull it off... And no, it's not too long, dont blaspheme yeezus

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 18, 2013

wipe up or ship out
Nov 5, 2008
I don't get why so many people on the internet keep saying how much better Born Sinner is, compared to Yeezus. I'm really curious if J.Cole is gonna be more successful, but to be honest I think moving the release date to be the same as Kanye's was a really weird decision. Did he try to get it to be more noticed via Kanye's fame?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
There is a lot of "wtf am i listening to, kanye?" chatter on my FB. At risk of sounding super pretentious: the mainstream might not be ready for Yeezus. There is not a single track on here that has a chance of making it on the radio besides MAYBE Bound 2.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

Can of Cloud posted:

Yeah the line "For my theme song?" there is another voice and it does kinda sound like Lupe.

Lupe was also on twitter defending Kanye's album. I get not having Pusha on the album if he wanted to keep a tight Chicago focus, but Lupe wouldn't have been entirely out of place for a verse.

dieFALKENATOR
Dec 24, 2011

Prefuse posted:

lol everybody look at this loving post

hmm yes

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction
From the Yo! NMD Raps thread continued here:

Professor Funk posted:

Don't just listen to the lyrics, listen to the music. It is not a triumphant song. It's not an arrogant song. If anything, it's a song about Kanye's insecurity and self-doubt. He's saying "I am a God" as though he is trying to convince himself and others of his greatness. He's not saying "I am a God," there's a difference. The folks at Grantland compared the song to Kanye waking up in the morning, looking at himself in a mirror, and saying those words over and over again, which I think is perfect. Musically, the song isn't really the picture of self-confidence or bravado either, with Kanye's insane screams perforating the instrumental and the dark, droning synth tracks.

Yes, the sample is about lynchings in the Jim Crow South, and the song is about a bad breakup. It's a startling gap between source content and subject matter, which is probably the point. Kanye uses heightened -- mostly racial -- imagery throughout the album to describe relatively inconsequential things. In "New Slaves," he talks about fashion honchos not respecting him unless he "picks the cotton himself." In "I'm In It" he fists a girl "like a Civil Rights Sign" and compares a girl taking her bra off to a famous portion of "I Have a Dream." In "Black Skinhead," he gets his "by any means on" and compares white people coming to see him in concert to visitors going to ogle King Kong locked in his cage. Later on in "Blood on the Leaves" he compares keeping his wife and mistress separated at a basketball game to Apartheid. It goes on and on.

The point is that there's really nothing to this album except Kanye. Even when he seems to be spreading these subversive messages about "new racism" and what not, it's really all about him. Had Kanye used the Strange Fruit sample and made Blood on the Leaves a track about racism, sexism, or other social ills, it would have been completely out of place on the album. Is it a startling, potentially offense, move? Yeah, absolutely. Does Kanye give a gently caress? Nope, it's his album, and this one more than any of his other ones is about Kanye.

(I suggest we move this to the Kanye thread since I don't want to dominate this one with posts like this)

Edit: That Gibbs tracklist looks awesome.

That's an interesting way at looking at this, ill read the Grantland article and listen closer to I Am a God.

It's sad that Ye could use his celebrity and reach to do and touch more people positively. Rap is poetry in motion to me, and its disappointing when the "voice of a generation" misses the mark ever so slightly.....

dieFALKENATOR
Dec 24, 2011

The Rooster posted:

Yeah the line "For my theme song?" there is another voice and it does kinda sound like Lupe.

Lupe was also on twitter defending Kanye's album. I get not having Pusha on the album if he wanted to keep a tight Chicago focus, but Lupe wouldn't have been entirely out of place for a verse.

yes, perhaps he could have cackhandedly explained a Marxist ethos

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

dieFALKENATOR posted:

Or he could have done something else.

dieFALKENATOR
Dec 24, 2011

The Rooster posted:

Or he could have done something else.

He could, but Lupé is such a loser now, and it would have sucked to have him on this (half-great, imo; maybe I'll think more after it's germinated a bit mentally) album.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

dieFALKENATOR posted:

He could, but Lupé is such a loser now, and it would have sucked to have him on this (half-great, imo; maybe I'll think more after it's germinated a bit mentally) album.

dieFALKENATOR posted:

:shrek:

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.

Yuzenn posted:

That's an interesting way at looking at this, ill read the Grantland article and listen closer to I Am a God.

Holy poo poo. :stare:

I'll read that article on lunch, but just reading that image about Kanye saying it to himself in the mirror has changed my perspective on the song. "I am a God" might be my favorite Kanye song ever just because I thought of it as so arrogant and unapologetic, but now that I think about it there is something profoundly sad about it.

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
Yeezus is blowing me away. Holy poo poo. So much to like from the album. It's got everything - sort of bipolar ... in a good way (if possible).

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Bound and the outro for New Slaves are fantastic but the rest of this album does nothing for me. People calling it the new 808s are right, but that album was a drag too.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

RandomAction Man posted:

I don't get why so many people on the internet keep saying how much better Born Sinner is, compared to Yeezus. I'm really curious if J.Cole is gonna be more successful, but to be honest I think moving the release date to be the same as Kanye's was a really weird decision. Did he try to get it to be more noticed via Kanye's fame?

I have seen exactly one dude say that J.Cole's album is better, and he posts in the rap thread here. I tried to download J.Cole's album but my computer kept going into sleep mode.

People have been talking about his lyrics, but his lyrics have always been corny. The reason he gets away with it (besides the whole amazing production thing) is he sells it. I remember reading a review of one of Lil Wayne's later mixtapes, and Noz said the biggest difference between his old stuff and new stuff wasn't the punchlines, but before he sold that poo poo-when he said something he just KNEW it was fresh and he had the personality to carry it. What he lost was that force of personality, the little ad-libs and just extra things that would get people to buy along. And if anything, Kanye's even MORE into his lines than before. He likely knows his lines are cornball, but he doesn't care at all.

Also the album is expectedly good. I'd be more surprised if he made a bad album, or even just an average/mildly good one. Kanye's likely the most important artist of his generation (and no, that's not hyperbole). Every one of his albums has built upon the last while going in new directions. And all his albums are events-his music demands attention. The one thing I wonder is how much of his music's effect comes from him vs. the music-like if someone else made this same album (switching the name puns appropriately) would it have the same effect? I think so but I'm not 100% sure.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

alansmithee posted:

I have seen exactly one dude say that J.Cole's album is better, and he posts in the rap thread here. I tried to download J.Cole's album but my computer kept going into sleep mode.
I legitimately can't tell if you're making a joke here or not.

Apparently the physical copies have different colors of tape (depending on store? I don't know).

(pics stolen from another forum's thread on the issue)

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I just bought my copy, from target. The tape seems to be the middle color. It made me laugh that it doesn't even say "Yeezus" on it.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/SeanMandela/status/347055887891972096 Love Sean Price

https://vine.co/v/hB27Xi1IMeL

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
That Pitchfork review is the most over the top handjob piece I have ever seen

quote:

All of these unlikely choices demonstrate how cohesion and bold intent are at a premium on Yeezus, perhaps more than any other Kanye album. Each fluorescent strike of noise, incongruous tempo flip, and warped vocal is bolted into its right place across the record's fast 40 minutes. The precise approach runs through Yeezus' guerrilla-style promotion, too, which found an army of dark vans lighting projections onto buildings around the world, itself a boots-on-the-ground reaction to today's InstaTweet brand of music dissemination. I went to one of these impromptu happenings last Saturday night, in the middle of Manhattan. At 1:20 a.m., the words "NOT FOR SALE" lit up on the south side of the Louis Vuitton building. A few guys ran across the street with Christmas-morning glee, snapping photos. Then, Kanye's starkly-lit visage appeared to recite "New Slaves"'s anti-consumerist lines as cabs streaked by the luxury stores below. His was the only black face to be seen across the jumbo ads lining an eerily desolate 5th Ave. The van soon closed its doors and drove away; the culture bomb’s flash was over in an instant, but the reverberations were just starting to spread.

How in the holy gently caress do you write something like that seriously.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I don't really see what's so bad about it? I actually thought it was pretty well written.

(I too generally dislike Pitchfork)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

thathonkey posted:

^ that was pretty much me with MBDTF

Same. I liked some of his singles like Gold Digger and stuff but I didn't really start to like him until Good Fridays and MBDTF. This album is even crazier because I thought he would keep going more and more bombastic but instead he chose this and it's awesome. So good that he's experimenting, kanye never gets boring (wtt was for the most part, boring).

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Goetta posted:

That Pitchfork review is the most over the top handjob piece I have ever seen

How in the holy gently caress do you write something like that seriously.

It's over the top, but not ridiculously so.

Also Pitchfork's always gone gaga over Kanye. The scores for his 6 solo albums + watch the throne: 8.2, 9.5, 8.7, 7.6, 10, 8.5, 9.5. That's getting into Radiohead levels of adulation (although tbh you could easily justify all of those).

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

PonchAxis posted:

Same. I liked some of his singles like Gold Digger and stuff but I didn't really start to like him until Good Fridays and MBDTF. This album is even crazier because I thought he would keep going more and more bombastic but instead he chose this and it's awesome. So good that he's experimenting, kanye never gets boring (wtt was for the most part, boring).

Go listen to it again. The more you do, the better it gets.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

The music is fine and all but this album is hilariously racist/misogynist

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

inSTAALed posted:

Go listen to it again. The more you do, the better it gets.

I listened to it a lot and it just wasn't doing anything at all for me save for a few tracks. :(

Also seeing people react to this album on facebook and twitter is hilarious. They literally don't know what to make of it or they're just calling it poo poo. Haha :allears:

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

http://www.okayplayer.com/news/kanye-west-yeezus-review-by-big-ghost.html We can counterbalance the pitchfork review with COCAIN BICEPS.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

The Rooster posted:

http://www.okayplayer.com/news/kanye-west-yeezus-review-by-big-ghost.html We can counterbalance the pitchfork review with COCAIN BICEPS.

Also this review is fantastic and mirrors my thoughts on a lot of things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vns-81egipQ

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

To me this is the worst solo work he's put out. It's also a really sad album. I feel bad for Ye :(

e: Not worst, Freshmen Adjustment counts I guess

e2:

Angryhead posted:

Totally agreeing with Fantano.
I'll definitely give it more listens (2 so far, liked it better the second time), but nothing besides 'Black Skinhead', 'New Slaves' and 'Bound2' is doing much for me.
this is me too, plus BOTL

t a s t e fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Totally agreeing with Fantano.
I'll definitely give it more listens (2 so far, liked it better the second time), but nothing besides 'Black Skinhead', 'New Slaves' and 'Bound2' is doing much for me.

• Locked thread