Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jonny 290 posted:

we were laughing about it in irc last night, basically the two walmarts in town are the most dispatched addresses by a factor of two. the third is the police station itself

"hey guys, come back to the station; elmer's gotten into the whiskey again" :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
a lot of them are rape charges :( they don't dispatch those to the real address, they put out the call and then the cops dial in on their cell phone

btw if yall didnt know cops do a hilarious amount of off the record communication with HQ on their cell phones, it's why they don't push for expensive encrypted poo poo more

i have the duty cell number of almost every cop in town because they constantly have to remind the dispatcher

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Look through your last few months of logs, you will probably find that addresses follow an exponential distribution or something like it. Scrape google once for the top 100 or whatever and throw em in a lookup table.

automating this sort of thing only gets you 90% there anyway. unless you do some curating the results will always be a little off

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jonny 290 posted:

a lot of them are rape charges :( they don't dispatch those to the real address, they put out the call and then the cops dial in on their cell phone

well that took the starch out of my attempted joke

people suck :smith:

(not you, jonny, the people the cops are after)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Nomnom Cookie posted:

automating this sort of thing only gets you 90% there anyway. unless you do some curating the results will always be a little off

If you actually use a geocoding API instead of scraping they usually specify a confidence value for the result. They curate stuff themselves so there's no reason for u to duplicate the work.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'll have to investigate

right now i have ghetto lat/long decoding going on from geocoder.us or something like that, i'll have to dig deeper

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
what is Geo::Coder::Googlev3 like

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah that will prob work tbqh

im going to start looking at heatmap libraries so i can make some crime maps

phase 2 is databasing the intake log records, and those have names and addresses, and that is when this here data mine will start to be really fun

matlab

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

no don't

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

pppppppppffffffffffbbbbbtttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

use r

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
don't ever follow my posting advice

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

aaagh unicode http://labs.spotify.com/2013/06/18/creative-usernames/

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Solution: don't canonicalise, only refer to users by guid

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

I am not a guid, I'm a free man.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Zombywuf posted:

i see gold fringe around this post

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Zombywuf posted:

Agreed but don't you still want to canonicalise to make sure "duplicated" usernames aren't signing up? I imagine that would lead to a lot of confusion with like the Omega and Ohm symbols and passing yourself off as another user with a similar looking name.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

As mentioned in the article, the trick is to either restrict the input to valid unicode 3.2 or to find a fixed-point in your canonization (or reject entries that do not find one quick enough). It's a real nice lovely thing to realize and find about though.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
The best part of the article was that upgrading form python 2.4 to 2.5 broke it LOL

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

prefect posted:

i see gold fringe around this post

new james bond movie should be Goldfringer, about a villain that aims to control the world via obscure admiralty law loopholes

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Jonny 290 posted:

new james bond movie should be Goldfringer, about a villain that aims to control the world via obscure admiralty law loopholes

this would work better if fringe wasn't pronounced with a soft g like gif

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

MononcQc posted:

As mentioned in the article, the trick is to restrict the input to ASCII

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Zombywuf posted:

i am not a number

i am a free man!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

use email / password for login

dont let users pick names that look like other usernames (render them to images and do a edit distance comparison)

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

design your system so that what passes for usernames can change

heck, design so anything that can identify a user can change later

Carthag posted:

(render them to images and do a edit distance comparison)

woah

but this is likely not as easy as it sounds

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Using e-mails as log-in names may work, but you want to provide some other immutable underlying ID so that a user can change e-mails without a problem. You'd probably end up with a general canonical unique ID, a primary e-mail (that can be verified and used to log in), and a 'display name' that may or may not be unique following canonicalisation as requirements arise.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Also, distributed computing link of the day, this time on CRDTs: http://hal.upmc.fr/docs/00/55/55/88/PDF/techreport.pdf

More (shorter): http://pagesperso-systeme.lip6.fr/Marc.Shapiro/papers/RR-6956.pdf

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 21, 2013

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Email is a very good username cause its both unique and the domain part can be used to determine organizational specific parameters. Ex: using federated login for certain orgs. So really your authentication system should be wholly separate from authorization. Use claims/assertion based authorization.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Hard NOP Life posted:

Agreed but don't you still want to canonicalise to make sure "duplicated" usernames aren't signing up? I imagine that would lead to a lot of confusion with like the Omega and Ohm symbols and passing yourself off as another user with a similar looking name.

When I said "refer to" I meant in the UI.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

qntm posted:

i am not a number

i am a free man!

yessssssssssssssss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuDVXh_a1-Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7LH__BPqSY

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

best part is the laugh

number two thinks it's absolutely hysterical that a man could be free

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Max Facetime posted:

woah

but this is likely not as easy as it sounds

one man's ﷽ is another's man's □

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

b0lt posted:

one man's ﷽ is another's man's □

b0lt did 9/11

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005
signing up for spotify as '﷽ 卐卐卐卐卐 OSAMA BIN HITLER 卍卍卍卍卍 ﷽<right to left override mark>' as we speak

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

b0lt posted:

one man's ﷽ is another's man's

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

not quite PL but im a rebel

Are Subqueries RESTful?

well tef. are they

tbh i didnt read the article cause it looks boring and idgaf. i just hope its terrible and pisses someone off

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Urgh, subqueries are irrelevant to REST. They're just other resources identified by a URL which the resource representation's you've already received should link to (or otherwise specify how to construct).

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
yeah but are they a monoid?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AlsoD posted:

don't use ableist language

for shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

AlsoD posted:

Nearly everything is a monoid. If not, just consider its endomorphism monoid.