Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Okimin posted:

I always feel like my units are really weak in combat, and I'm starting to think it is because I am not leveling them properly. Is there like a specific upgrade path I should follow to make my soldiers able to survive one on one fights against equal tech units?

Get cover/medic on your melee units so they can survive and soak up hits while your ranged units do the heavy lifting of focusing enemies down. Focus on getting either Barrage III or Accuracy III with each Ranged unit, as those skills unlock Range and Logistics, which turn ranged units from good to excellent. Also be prepared to retreat any unit that you think is going to die on your opponent's turn, as you can heal them up and have them back in the fight in 3 or 4 turns of fortifying with medics. It's less about winning 1-1 fights and more about making sure you're only taking 2-1 fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

I thought iron was supposed to be revealed at bronze working and be cheaper, but I just noticed it's the same in my game as it was in prior versions. What's up with that? I tried reinstalling it but nothing changed; I'm on the mac version on Steam if that matters.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Still no option to decline to speak with another civ. That is the most annoying bullshit in the world and probably would have been the easiest goddamn thing to fix.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Sojenus posted:

I thought iron was supposed to be revealed at bronze working and be cheaper, but I just noticed it's the same in my game as it was in prior versions. What's up with that? I tried reinstalling it but nothing changed; I'm on the mac version on Steam if that matters.

Do you have factories on your main menu screen, are you loading an older save, are you playing a scenario?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Skyl3lazer posted:

Ok what the gently caress is up with ideology pressure. I have every culture building, they all have paintings and poo poo, but my people are getting a -46 unhappy penalty because 'freedom' has more civs than 'autocracy' does. Is there any way to make my guys not give a poo poo about the other civ's ideology? Even worse, when I made a branch save to try to see if switching would be fine, I'm down to -120 happiness because the autocracy happy bonuses were the only thing keeping me near 0.

I THINK this is caused by the amount of tourism the freedom civs are putting into your civ.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Factories on the main screen, new game, no mods installed.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is there any way to tell what wonders have been built all in one place somewhere?

I don't want to screw up research while playing on Emperor...

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Fojar38 posted:

So, if the World Games/World's Fair are going on, can you set your puppets to contribute production or only your own cities? I've got a really good Venice game going and I need to know if I should block those resolutions or not.

Honestly, I haven't tried, but I'm pretty sure you can't. You work on those projects the same way you work on wealth or science; they're at the bottom of the building list that you can't even access on puppets.

Hugely useful, the world council. It's probably my favorite new addition. Ideologies seem like they need tweaking, the pressure towards a global ideology is really huge.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

victrix posted:

Is there any way to tell what wonders have been built all in one place somewhere?

I don't want to screw up research while playing on Emperor...

Diplomacy overview -> global politics tab

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Anyone else experiencing a control definition error during the loading screen after the intro? This is with both DX 9 and 10/11. Running Win 7 64-bit and a GTX 670. All drivers are current.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Wu Zetian literally beat me on a tie to get Printing Press. Now that I finally have wrested control from her I can show the world what a responsible adult I am.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Fojar38 posted:

So, if the World Games/World's Fair are going on, can you set your puppets to contribute production or only your own cities? I've got a really good Venice game going and I need to know if I should block those resolutions or not.

Nope, Venice can only outright purchase things in puppets (which is awesome). The puppets still choose their active construction.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

:allears:

I'm rather surprised at how much I'm enjoying everything to do with Brave New World. Trade routes feel like a so much more dynamic gold source (despite me literally having a caravan+boat with Venice for like 3000 years now.) The World Congress is also much more neat than I thought it would be. It's one thing to read about what it could do, but knowing how a vote would impact your game makes it all the more interesting.

Also Shoshone own.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Holy poo poo. Mount Kilimanjaro gives a unique promotion that grants units double hill movement and +10% strength in hills.

e: And it just happens to be in the corner of a v-shaped mountain range that is full of desert hills and between me and the Songhai. Good luck attacking this poo poo once I put a city next to it, send a food caravan there, and fill the surrounding tiles with double hill movement horsemen motherfucker. :unsmigghh:

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 11, 2013

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

So I'm around 1600 AD in my game as Pocatello and drat they made this game a lot harder. I had two little wars, took 2 capitals, and literally all 7 other civs turned against me, all denouncing me and calling me a warmonger. Whatever, I had the biggest army, score and was tied on tech so I thought I could cruise a bit...and then the world congress started and I wasn't the host. Welp, all of a sudden proposals get passed that all civs embargo me AND that all civs have to stop trading with city-states, so I now have no trade routes at all and negative gold :argh:.

It's pretty awesome that diplomatic relations now actually have an effect on your chance of victory, even when you're in the lead. And this is on King, whereas in G&K I was easily beating Emperor. I think I'm just gonna call this one and start a new game as Brazil because the new culture system is a lot more fun than I thought it would be.

Starks fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 11, 2013

Okimin
Dec 19, 2009

rebel rebel

Muscle Tracer posted:

Get cover/medic on your melee units so they can survive and soak up hits while your ranged units do the heavy lifting of focusing enemies down. Focus on getting either Barrage III or Accuracy III with each Ranged unit, as those skills unlock Range and Logistics, which turn ranged units from good to excellent. Also be prepared to retreat any unit that you think is going to die on your opponent's turn, as you can heal them up and have them back in the fight in 3 or 4 turns of fortifying with medics. It's less about winning 1-1 fights and more about making sure you're only taking 2-1 fights.

Thanks, I've always had a hard time grasping civ combat, especially in multiplayer.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

thehumandignity posted:

Holy poo poo. Mount Kilimanjaro gives a unique promotion that grants units double hill movement and +10% strength in hills.

e: And it just happens to be in the corner of a v-shaped mountain range that is full of desert hills and between me and the Songhai. Good luck attacking this poo poo once I put a city next to it, send a food caravan there, and fill the surrounding tiles with double hill movement horsemen motherfucker. :unsmigghh:

God, that promotion is a riot.

Like, it's rare enough that it shouldn't matter too much- like the Fountain of Youth, really- but I got it once and it is hilarious how your army just suddenly turns into a mobile death machine.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Civ 5 is working now. Dumb question: the first game I started had religion off. Where do I go to enable it?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

holocaust bloopers posted:

Civ 5 is working now. Dumb question: the first game I started had religion off. Where do I go to enable it?

I didn't even realise that was possible.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

thehumandignity posted:

I didn't even realise that was possible.

Yea says right in the tool bar after founding a city that the religion system is off. Not seeing an option for it in advanced game set up or the main options menu itself.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Yea says right in the tool bar after founding a city that the religion system is off. Not seeing an option for it in advanced game set up or the main options menu itself.

Did you somehow accidentally start the Smokey Skies or another scenario?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Alkydere posted:

Did you somehow accidentally start the Smokey Skies or another scenario?

Nope. Custom game.

Found out why. I started a game off in the industrial era. So there ya go.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Sieges against the AI are super simple, even in the ancient era when all you have are warriors and archers. The city and the ranged guy sitting in it will fire at one unit until it is dead, or will prioritize wounded ranged units. If you march a melee guy into city range and then move your archers siege whatever into range the next turn, the enemy city will only shoot at your poor melee guy. Get a unit in cover with the two ranged damage reducing upgrades, have him hunker down, proceed to mash the city. If something goes wrong, pull back and repeat. Also, bring more units than you think you'll need.

E: Make certain that the unit garrisoned in the city has line of fire to your bait, or it might fire at something you don't want shot. Cities ignore LOS. Even mountains.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 11, 2013

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Fuligin posted:

Having fun with Indonesia on an archipelago map, although the AI's lack of luxuries to trade has hampered my efforts to become King of Spice Mountain. I was planning to do a conquest victory, but I forgot how difficult amphibious invasions are to pull off until the late game.

Late game? The second you get ranged boats you win the game. The AI has no idea how to defend against it. If I want to be lazy and be assured I win the game I just make sure there's water on the map.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

My first game as random choice Songhai Empire ended in defeat today round-about 2035 as Korea finally got its rear end to Mars with a Science victory.

As some may recall from earlier posts, I managed to gain relatively good position in the early years of my game by going to war and cutting Morocco square in the face, stealing their capital and another of their colonies with absolutely insane production potential. Using the massive gold I scooped from those victories via my River Warlord, I set about making many improvements and fixing my crap economy, and before long cash was flowing, and I was digging into the social system with both hands.

Careful manipulation of my trade routes, expansion of my religion in a social and happiness producing direction, collection of several choice wonders and starting the production of my media production people gave me excellent position, even though most of my neighbors hated me for starting that war and taking poor Ahmad's capital (though I was careful not to exterminate him, since this thread taught me what a diplomatic black mark that is). Things got hairy when I settled a city in striking distance Mt. Fuji, eager for its bonuses, and for that crime Egypt saw fit to wipe me from the face of the Earth. Ironically this is exactly what I wanted, because Egypt had stolen several wonders I wanted, was rivaling me in Social production and his army was the biggest one on the continent, so taking Thebes from him could cement my hegemony over our continent for the rest of the game.

And take Thebes I did, and hegemonize I did. Egypt was absolutely crippled during our war, and the Ottomans didn't have the might to oppose me for all their bitching about what a bad war monger I was. I did notice something interesting during the battle: that Egypts units had a combat bonus marked "Just War," while I was fighting them! A full 20% combat effectiveness increase, and for a war THEY started. I can't help but wonder what combination of things I did triggered that (I'm assuming this is something new to BNW, since I've never seen it before, and none of my latter conflicts had it).

Well, things went on pretty quietly after that. The denizens of the other continent finally found us not long after my war was won, including the Huns, America, Korea, a mostly dead Arabia, Mongolia (whom Korea exterminated a few turns later hilariously enough) and Austria. Soon we assembled the world council, which I largely ignored other than winning the crap out of the World's Fair and dumping tourism on everybody for the duration, and I went to work expanding my trade and building up even more of my culture bonuses. Austria was also going for a culture win by her numbers, but I was outstripping her by a good margin thanks to all the wonders I'd stolen from Ramasses. After a long lull in the action, right as I entered the Great War tech era, things got real.

A musician that I had put to sea was suddenly and without warning intercepted by Austria. The Day The Music Died would live in infamy, as old Suileman, who had been mustering his forces since the bronze age for this moment, launched a joint strike against me, handing one of his own cities to Teresa so should could commit the maximum number of forces as well. I was very nearly killed within five turns as a massive army from two nations stormed for my capital, cornerstone of my social production. Only the sacrifice of a newly spawned general giving me a citadel and some extremely harsh natural barriers in the form of jungles and rivers and hills kept me in the game long enough to bring my own armies to bear, and even then I took heavy losses because I was a couple of critical military techs behind them. My Great War Soldiers and Gattling Guns went toe to toe with their Machine Guns and Infantry, and airplanes started buzzing my lines a few turns before I'd even unlocked the tech for AA Guns.

By some miracle, I unlocked Land Ships right before the invasion began, and after selling half my treasury to my old foe Egypt to get the oil I needed (there was not one single drop anywhere in my borders) I saved my gold for a couple of turns and then upgraded all my special racial Knights into tanks. And just when it seemed the tide had been turned... Egypt turned around and stabbed me in the back, committing their full army to retaking their capital and crippling my new tanks due to resource shortfall.

Fortunately I had lasted just long enough to butcher the combined forces of the first war and upgrade my entire army to eliminate the tech advantage. Egypt's forces were as outdated as mine had been a few turns previous, with the sole exception of a massive airforce which almost cost me two cities. Still, I was stuck in full defense fighting enemies on opposite sides of my empire simultaneously, until a miracle occurred and I was able to take and then burn Austria's borrowed staging city. With both of their army's gutted and their staging ground a crater, they sued for peace, and I turned my full attention to grinding Egypt into paste... just in time for Korea to declare war AND begin the Space Race

Korea was untouchable, they had a huge tech advantage, a giant navy and more men than me, so I started building submarines to hopefully raid any incoming invasion and kept grinding Egypt until they quit. Menewhile, I put everything I had into increasing my social bonuses, shooting for that win.

Funny enough, Korea's invasion never came even though one of my spies told me it had left port but we never went back to peace. Austria never forgave me for defeating them, and did everything they could to stymie my victory, especially after they became hosts of the World Congress, with over 20 delegates thanks to their city state fuckery. I managed to overcome for the most part, but they drastically slowed my ability to give bonuses to my tourism, and the fact that every country I didn't have influence with went to war with me at once, removing my ambassadors and my trade lines, made it worse. Still, I was FINALLY able to struggle to a one-on-one showdown on the social stage with Austria, and with a 35% influence lead that made my victory certain, but there was a problem: Korea was one spaceship part away from victory.

I had one chance, especially considering the size and tech of the army he had protecting the launch site: assemble a nuclear arsenal and bomb Seoul back to the stoneage, and once it was bare nuclear wasteland take the city with a amphibious invasion from my melee ships and marines. I didn't know how long I could keep it, but it would stop the ship from being finished long enough for me to musician bomb my way to victory. A few turns and a lot of gold later, I had two Aircraft carriers and four nukes in construction. But then, with two turns left on my first bomb, Austria got the last laugh:

World Congress Proposal: Ban Nuclear Proliferation. She, Korea and the Ottomans, all civs with more than 10 votes, each had the bomb already. And I didn't. The measure passed with only token opposition. And 20 agonizing turns of watching my influence tick closer to victory later, Korea gave me the finger in the form of a rocket launch.

It was without a doubt the most intense, challenging and fun game of Civ I've played in years. BNW and G&K combined have finally made this game it was always meant to be.

Bozonofski
Sep 22, 2009
Sorry if I've missed it, but is there a IRC or steam group for setting up multiplayer games? Keen to get something going once the expansion comes out.

If anyone wants to add me my steam name is the same as my SA account.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

splifyphus posted:

Honestly, I haven't tried, but I'm pretty sure you can't. You work on those projects the same way you work on wealth or science; they're at the bottom of the building list that you can't even access on puppets.

Hugely useful, the world council. It's probably my favorite new addition. Ideologies seem like they need tweaking, the pressure towards a global ideology is really huge.

I was playing as Venice and the puppets will on occasion choose to build towards world fair/etc. as 2 of my 3 city state puppets were producing it.

If you really need the extra hammers, use trade routes to move production around!

Im sitting here as Venice in the year 1882 with +545 gold per turn, +200 tourism, 1000 culture, I have influence over 4 other civs and it will take me 390 turns to get the last one at the current rate. :argh: Venice seems really powerful because you can simply build wonders all game and use your money to buy units/buildings and having only one city is actually better since you can still buy units in puppeted states and they contribute their resources and junk, you basically just can't choose where you place the cities which isn't that big a deal.

I am having fun with A Brave New World, it definitely adds a lot to the game. The reworked social tree policy makes for some tough choices in what kind of bonuses you get and Piety feels worthwhile now for the special reformations. Managing culture, trade, and tourism is fun; trying to trade great works to get sets and bonuses is almost like a card game.

PhantomZero fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 11, 2013

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Sanguinia posted:

My first game as random choice Songhai Empire ended in defeat today round-about 2035 as Korea finally got its rear end to Mars with a Science victory.

A I did notice something interesting during the battle: that Egypts units had a combat bonus marked "Just War," while I was fighting them! A full 20% combat effectiveness increase, and for a war THEY started. I can't help but wonder what combination of things I did triggered that (I'm assuming this is something new to BNW, since I've never seen it before, and none of my latter conflicts had it).

Just war is a religion bonus.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I got the warmonger status for taking a city in a Defensive war WTF.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Baron Porkface posted:

You would have gotten 2 if you were a warmonger who declared a war.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

uPen posted:

You would have gotten 2 if you were a warmonger who declared a war.

2 what?

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

splifyphus posted:

Cultural city states loan you art now as allies. :getin:

How does that work? Hasn't happened to me yet.

Also, if a city state ally has an ancient artifact within their borders, can you just send over an archeologist to dig it up for yourself?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Baron Porkface posted:

It stopped being a defensive war when you started taking their cities.

Also "city" always feels like a misnomer to me. They're like entire goddamn nations.

Sanguinia posted:

It's Alpha Centauri you scrub. Alpha centuari!

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Can you play multiplayer with mods yet?

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
Anyway to see graphs like in civ 3? I've just started playing again and liked the way the graphs in civ 3 used to show how far above/below the other civs you were in regards to wealth/culture etc.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Finish the game, go to replay on the "go to main menu or play one more turn" window, choose graphs from the drop-down on that tab.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I spent the entire day playing a game only to lose by time out. :(

Time to disable that for forever!

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Pvt.Scott posted:

Sieges against the AI are super simple, even in the ancient era when all you have are warriors and archers. The city and the ranged guy sitting in it will fire at one unit until it is dead, or will prioritize wounded ranged units. If you march a melee guy into city range and then move your archers siege whatever into range the next turn, the enemy city will only shoot at your poor melee guy. Get a unit in cover with the two ranged damage reducing upgrades, have him hunker down, proceed to mash the city. If something goes wrong, pull back and repeat. Also, bring more units than you think you'll need.

E: Make certain that the unit garrisoned in the city has line of fire to your bait, or it might fire at something you don't want shot. Cities ignore LOS. Even mountains.

Part of the problem in my last game was I was landlocked and surrounded by naval cities. It's really hard to take cities early in the game when there's a boat+archer in every city.

Started a game as Ashurbanipal, I've taken 3 capitals and it just rolled over to AD. Holy poo poo siege towers are loving ridiculous.

JayMax posted:

How does that work? Hasn't happened to me yet.

Not sure. Had it happen late in my last game. Presumably the city state has to have an artifact or work of art first.

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 11, 2013

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So I've gotta say, controlling the World Council (on in my case the "Wu's a Bitch") makes it so much easier to some crazy culture domination.

Right now I currently have the following enacted:
  • +3 culture from world wonders
  • +33% generation speed for all of the Great Artist types
  • +2 culture from every Great Person tile improvement (landmarks still count as GP improvements)
  • +4 culture from Landmarks.

Now mix all of that massive pile of bonus culture with Hotels that generate 1 tourism for every 2 culture generated by terrain, world wonder or national wonder and you've got a beast. That's not even counting the Freedom tenets I have active. For reference I've also got:

• Landmarks and Great Person improvements generate +4 of the appropriate yield (New Deal)
  • +34% Tourism to cities with Broadcast Towers in them (Media Culture)

Edit: And I just won due to a single Great Musician dropping an obscene amount of Tourism (something over 1,000) on Atilla. Taking my cultural domination of him from 92% to 103.5%.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Bashez posted:

Late game? The second you get ranged boats you win the game. The AI has no idea how to defend against it. If I want to be lazy and be assured I win the game I just make sure there's water on the map.

To be fair, there is no counter to Frigates, island/archipelago maps are always tech races for that reason.

• Locked thread