Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mismatch tea
Nov 1, 2010

victrix posted:

Moving a trade route origin point from one city to another only takes one turn, so if you want to optimize, bounce your new caravan/cargo ship around between your cities to see how much trade routes are worth.

There's a tab on the trade route overview screen that shows all your possible trade routes and their incomes, so you don't have to move the caravan around to find the best one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

mismatch tea posted:

There's a tab on the trade route overview screen that shows all your possible trade routes and their incomes, so you don't have to move the caravan around to find the best one.

:aaa: That helps!

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Just had a crushing Diplomatic Victory as Morocco where I had literally every CS in the game allied with me, the 2 bonus votes from Forbidden Palace, and the bonus votes from World Religion and World Ideology (both of which were forced through by me and my ridiculous number of delegates, as I am ALSO the host and always have been)

I had 48 Delegates. The other civs had 34 put together. The World Congress was my pet to do my bidding.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Kooriken posted:

Just had a crushing Diplomatic Victory as Morocco where I had literally every CS in the game allied with me, the 2 bonus votes from Forbidden Palace, and the bonus votes from World Religion and World Ideology (both of which were forced through by me and my ridiculous number of delegates, as I am ALSO the host and always have been)

I had 48 Delegates. The other civs had 34 put together. The World Congress was my pet to do my bidding.

I think the World Congress needs some serious retooling. It's too easy to just buy all the city states. If you get freedom you're basically given 8 CS allies anyway.

I almost established freedom as the world ideology before any other civ even got an ideology. Stupid Ghandi picked up order a few turns before the vote went through though.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There must be some version differences between Mac and PC users. The Freedom policy for getting in good with city-states is a protection promise, not a trade route, for me.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Just got a hold of this and I'm stoked to get lost in some crazy long games. I had some questions though after tooling around in a game for a half hour or so.

1. Has the AI been fixed so that it actually makes an effort to colonize the new world on Terra maps?

2. I'm not sure how trade routes work.. I met another civ and found their capital way early in the game, but my UI was still telling me I couldn't make any caravans because I hadn't met anyone to trade with yet.

3. What's the difference between Continents and Continents Plus?

4. What maps do you guys tend to play for long, epic games?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Nothing like starting as Morocco on a sandstorm map and having your first 3 goody huts being map, spearman, map and then someone else getting desert folklore.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Bashez posted:

I think the World Congress needs some serious retooling. It's too easy to just buy all the city states. If you get freedom you're basically given 8 CS allies anyway.

I almost established freedom as the world ideology before any other civ even got an ideology. Stupid Ghandi picked up order a few turns before the vote went through though.

I had a similar experience in my first Venice game. All through the game Poland had been my primary trade partner because their cities generated so much money in trade that I generally had half of my routes heading to Polish cities. But similarly that empowered them so they began to expand out through my continent, and eventually they made enemies of my other friends, gained a border with me, adopted another civ's religion,and because of their expansionist focus got beaten by me to several wonders. So naturally our relations just went on a slow, downhill descent from the mid game onward until they had basically become my archenemy despite the fact that were still each others' major trading partners. They picked up Order just five turns before Freedom got declared the world ideology by me and boy were they pissed because I had also managed to engineer a defeat of their World Religion proposition too. I kept on hoping they'd make a play against me for the rest of the game, but they just sat there seething until I was able to open a McDonalds in their capital and win a culture victory, a final kick in the nuts for the most cultured civ in the game.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?
Is there any way to see which Wonders have been built and by whom if you have discovered that civ?

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Kooriken posted:

Yeah, I also had a Morocco game where I was allied to every city-state in the game continuously for probably the last 100 turns or so (out of ~310 total). That ended up in a culture win before the UN was founded, but yeah, I was never not the host of the Congress and was able to pass (or defeat) anything I wanted. There didn't seem to be much notable competition for CSes. A couple were briefly allied to other civs until I piled up enough cash to buy them all, but their former allies never seemed to mount any attempt to get them back.

I've seen posts from people saying they had real competition for CS allies, so maybe it depends on the circumstances of your particular game. The thing is, with the bonkers levels of GPT you can stack up once you get a good trade network up and running, owning all the CSes is no longer even remotely challenging in a vacuum (it wasn't exactly hard pre-BNW, but now it's practically inevitable). Given how much it breaks the game for one civ to have complete dominance over the Congress, fighting for CSes shouldn't be an occasional thing, it should be a tooth-and-nail scramble most of the time. Hopefully we'll see things retuned in an upcoming patch to make AIs more consistently aggressive about fighting for CSes.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
Montezuma feels REALLY powerful now that barbarian spawning has been increased. Feeding off the ridiculous barbarian horde until 1 AD got me Tradition and Honor filled, which in turn gave me a huge science/military advantage. I had the game won by 800 AD essentially, but I stopped taking capitals because I wanted to check out the new cultural victory condition.

That really was the easiest game on King I've ever played. Hopefully Emperor doesn't hit me too hard.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

sicarius posted:

Is there any way to see which Wonders have been built and by whom if you have discovered that civ?

Yeah, it's the last tab in Diplomacy Overview IIRC

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Verranicus posted:

Just got a hold of this and I'm stoked to get lost in some crazy long games. I had some questions though after tooling around in a game for a half hour or so.

1. Has the AI been fixed so that it actually makes an effort to colonize the new world on Terra maps?

2. I'm not sure how trade routes work.. I met another civ and found their capital way early in the game, but my UI was still telling me I couldn't make any caravans because I hadn't met anyone to trade with yet.

3. What's the difference between Continents and Continents Plus?

4. What maps do you guys tend to play for long, epic games?

Haven't played Terra maps for a while, but

2. Your cities are too far apart. Caravans have a pretty limited range at first.

3. Continents Plus creates some gorgeous island chains that are good for colonizing off the mainland. Then it crams them full of city states which also means that you won't meet half of them until Astronomy. I'm not a fan.

4. Fractal or continents are what I always come back to.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Strategic Tea posted:

The genocide penalty does seem to be a massive pain. War feels very inconclusive, even if you knock them back to a lovely village that'll never recover. Perhaps if there was a vassal system, just so they could get an official label of 'I got my rear end kicked and am now out of the running' rather than ':smug: better watch where you settle also move your troops away from my border, they suck anyway'.

I've been saying this since Civ5 came out. A vassal system solves so many things and its just loving awesome to defeat a civ so utterly that they now depend on you for protection(or they might ask someone else for protection) You might say "well that's what puppets are for", but you can't puppet a city you founded on another continent, essentially making it a colony. One of my favorite things to do in Civ 4 was play on the Earth-like map, found 4-6 cities in the new world and then release them as a Vassal. Bam. Instant permanant ally.

I never play Terra maps in Civ5 because most of the time the new world sits completely unusued, by me or the AI.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I'm going to buy this because I really want to play this but not let myself play it until work and other things are done. Torture motivation!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

mismatch tea posted:

Ugh. UGH! I'm disgusted with myself because I played an entire game without noticing this existed. I think I even made a post in this thread to the effect of "boy it would be nice if the game told you how much your routes were worth so you didn't have to guess" but it was there the whole time. I always forget to check for tabs, thanks for pointing this out.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Where's a good place to give feedback that Firaxis actually reads?

Or do they never balance patch so I shouldn't waste my time?

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Kajeesus posted:

3. Continents Plus creates some gorgeous island chains that are good for colonizing off the mainland. Then it crams them full of city states which also means that you won't meet half of them until Astronomy. I'm not a fan.

I've played Continents Plus almost exclusively, and I kind of like having the CSes not cluttering up the main landmasses so much. The island chains are usually connected to the continents by coastal tiles, meaning all you need is a Trireme to find quite a few of them. Pretty often the islands even provide a continuous bridge of coast between the continents, so you end up meeting EVERYONE before Astronomy, which actually isn't my preference (I like there to be some pressure to get to Astronomy and explore). Granted there are occasionally times where there are isolated islands with half the world's CSes sitting in the middle of the ocean, but it's uncommon in my experience.

A variation with the same landforms but more typical Continents-style CS distribution would be nice too, though. I do like the idea of having some of the smaller chunks of land remaining open for colonization. As it stands, it's uncommon to find room for more than one or two decent cities on the CS islands.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I didn't get a notification of what the World Congress vote was. That seems weird, considering the normal deluge.

Where can I find this out?

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

victrix posted:

Where's a good place to give feedback that Firaxis actually reads?

Or do they never balance patch so I shouldn't waste my time?

They tend to release infrequent mega-patches. They're usually worth the wait, but don't expect a patch anytime very soon.

As to where to give feedback, I couldn't say. Try the official forums?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Supraluminal posted:

I've played Continents Plus almost exclusively, and I kind of like having the CSes not cluttering up the main landmasses so much. The island chains are usually connected to the continents by coastal tiles, meaning all you need is a Trireme to find quite a few of them. Pretty often the islands even provide a continuous bridge of coast between the continents, so you end up meeting EVERYONE before Astronomy, which actually isn't my preference (I like there to be some pressure to get to Astronomy and explore). Granted there are occasionally times where there are isolated islands with half the world's CSes sitting in the middle of the ocean, but it's uncommon in my experience.

A variation with the same landforms but more typical Continents-style CS distribution would be nice too, though. I do like the idea of having some of the smaller chunks of land remaining open for colonization. As it stands, it's uncommon to find room for more than one or two decent cities on the CS islands.

This dude over on civfanatics tells you how to make a continents plus plus that distributes the CS a little more evenly. By reports, about half end up on the islands, and half on the main landmass, which sounds like a good mix to me.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Has anyone else had a bug where buying a factory (as opposed to building one) doesn't trigger the starting of an ideology? I had this problem in my recent venice game where I bought a factory in Venice and then my puppets refused to build a factory, opting instead to make wealth or research. I had to beeline to radio in order to get an ideology which allowed the Egyptians, my biggest competitor, to get an ideology first.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

You have to have 3 factories.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Tendales posted:

This dude over on civfanatics tells you how to make a continents plus plus that distributes the CS a little more evenly. By reports, about half end up on the islands, and half on the main landmass, which sounds like a good mix to me.

Nice, that sounds worth trying. Thanks!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

unwantedplatypus posted:

Has anyone else had a bug where buying a factory (as opposed to building one) doesn't trigger the starting of an ideology? I had this problem in my recent venice game where I bought a factory in Venice and then my puppets refused to build a factory, opting instead to make wealth or research. I had to beeline to radio in order to get an ideology which allowed the Egyptians, my biggest competitor, to get an ideology first.

You’re Venice, so you could have bought the requisite three without issue, too.

Not that puppets would use the extra production particularly well. Beelining a modern tech was probably the superior choice anyway.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Dragongem posted:

Wait, really? I couldn't tell Darius to stop spreading his faith. My cities were getting converted left and right despite me having a grand temple in my holy city and trying to inquisitor the faith in the others. I also saw him having like eight thousand missionaries running around.

Is there an easy way to tell where the pressure is coming from? I just couldn't get my religion on track and it annoyed me.

It seems to me that the option only shows up immediately after a missionary flips one of your cities. Otherwise it's simply not there.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Goddamnit, does the AI want me to kill it? Got BNW and playing for the first time since my one G&K game. I'm Rome, I share a small continent with Korea, Brazil, and the Aztecs. The Aztecs have fought the other two civs here several times, taking one city from Korea and several from Brazil. I decide not to let the Aztec bullying continue and declare war, driving them back until they only have one city remaining. Rather than being gratful for this, Korea and Brazil denounce me, despite Brazil sharing my religion and being my major trading partner and Korea having been trading luxuries with me for most of the game. Did you want me to leave the Aztecs to wipe you out? gently caress you guys, I was helping you! Now I think I'll need to knock you out before you gang up on me, I don't have time for troubles at home when the massive Zulu empire has already dominated the other continent :(

It was hilarious when the Aztec leader, standing in front of his fiery human sacrifice altar, told me he finds my religious fervour disturbing when I refused to stop converting his cities though.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

Verranicus posted:

You sure it hasn't always done this? I remember playing a lot of Terra maps back in vanilla Civ V and I was always trying to be the first one to colonize the new world, but every single time, no matter what I tried they would have most of the continent taken over by the time I got there.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Kajeesus posted:

After my first game as Indonesia, I can most definitely say that the Kris swordsman is the best melee UU in the game. It's a shame I basically had no wars.

I don't know. I had one unit get a promotion that made it take 20 points of damage if it ended its turn in enemy territory. The other promotions that I got were all really nice, but if I had actually needed that unit when it was promoted I think I would have been pretty pissed off. I'm not a big fan of early resource-reliant unique units to begin with, and adding the possibility of building an essentially useless version of the UU on top of that is a bit much I think.

Indonesia's UA is really nice, though, and not as situational as I had thought. The Fractal map I rolled turned out to be two very solid continents with no inhabitable islands, so I got the benefit only once when settling on the other continent, but goddamn is it nice to found a happiness-neutral city and have a free luxury resource for trading on top of that. I got a bit lucky because the new worlders had left an awesome city spot for me to settle, but unless you're playing Pangaea you can probably find at least a reasonable opportunity to cash your luxury check.

Also, I hadn't played in a while and had completely forgotten how satisfying it is to grind Alexander into a fine paste. gently caress off, but leave your somber horse.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Platystemon posted:

You’re Venice, so you could have bought the requisite three without issue, too.

Not that puppets would use the extra production particularly well. Beelining a modern tech was probably the superior choice anyway.

oh hey, apparently you need to have 3 factories! :downs: Well, in the end, you're probably right that radio was the superior choice. I was close to culture victory before I won a diplomatic victory by outvoting everybody on the world congress.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I am way too amused by the ability to rename the World Congress.

Everyone keeps loving my suggestions for "events" at the World Farting Contest, except for Maria Teresa who can't understand why she can't get Catholicism to be the world religion when only her and Napoleon (the founder) are the only followers of it.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 14, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Alkydere posted:

I am way too amused by the ability to rename the World Congress.

Everyone keeps loving my suggestions for "events" at the World Farting Contest, except for Maria Teresa who can't understand why she can't get Catholicism to be the world religion when only her and Napoleon (the founder) are the only followers of it.

Wait, how do you rename it? Do you have to be leader? Where's the rename option? I saw someone who renamed it, but I thought that they got to name the World's Fair or the International Games or something.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The White Dragon posted:

Wait, how do you rename it? Do you have to be leader? Where's the rename option?

If you're the leader there's a tiny, tiny word that says "Rename" next to the words "World Congress" at the top of the window.

My last successful game I named it "Wu's a Bitch" when I managed to wrest control because she literally stole the founding from me due to turn order.

Edit: and yes, you do have to be the leader.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?
How the hell do I get Works of Art from other Civs? Do I have to conquer them to pull that off? I thought it was archaeology, but that's artifacts.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

You sure it hasn't always done this? I remember playing a lot of Terra maps back in vanilla Civ V and I was always trying to be the first one to colonize the new world, but every single time, no matter what I tried they would have most of the continent taken over by the time I got there.

I haven't played since they released that massive "Fall Patch" that was supposedly supposed to fix all the AI problems, so maybe that did it, but from what I saw through the hundreds of hours I sunk into the game prior to that the AI would never colonize other continents and was abysmally poor at anything involving water.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

sicarius posted:

How the hell do I get Works of Art from other Civs? Do I have to conquer them to pull that off? I thought it was archaeology, but that's artifacts.

Other than conquering them, you can trade them with other people. Go to the culture victory area, then click Swap Great Works.

Edit: corrected

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 14, 2013

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Is anyone else having trouble with World Builder? It gives me a line about how it's using an older version of the map files or something(?) and I have to update World Builder in order to be able to use map scripts. I tried deleting and reinstalling the SDK, but I still get the same message. :smith:

EDIT: I guess there's a beta SDK and the current one doesnt' work right?

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 14, 2013

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
So carriers have their own promotions now.

How am I supposed to level them up besides barracks/armory/military academy/Brandenburg Gate? Tanking damage? That seems kind of dumb.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

What new promotions do they have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Platystemon posted:

So carriers have their own promotions now.

How am I supposed to level them up besides barracks/armory/military academy/Brandenburg Gate? Tanking damage? That seems kind of dumb.

Yeah, I think you're mainly just supposed to pick up a couple of promotions when you build them. Anything else you get from surviving enemy attacks is a bonus.

• Locked thread