Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Jumley posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/933331750/otakuware-t-shirts-for-people-who-love-snark

Did you ever think to yourself, "I really want a shirt that expresses both my extreme love for anime and my love of lovely dad puns?"

Look no further.

Finally, something more cringe worthy and dated than the adult male sized My Little Pony/Jose CuervoDos Equis-meme crossover shirts in the window of my local comic shop!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Just go full retard and make shirts about how the 3d pig-disgusting fujoshi want to take away your moe, it's not like they could possibly isolate their audience any further as-is.

Given that most of the references on those shirts are older than many anime fans, I suspect that the terms "3DPD," "fujoshi" and "moe" are too modern for this kickstarter's frame of reference. Check back with them in a decade.

Ultraklystron has a new favorite as of 00:21 on Jul 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jumley posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/933331750/otakuware-t-shirts-for-people-who-love-snark

Did you ever think to yourself, "I really want a shirt that expresses both my extreme love for anime and my love of lovely dad puns?"

Look no further.

Their logo is literally a naked anime girl. :stare:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jedit posted:

Their logo is literally a naked anime girl. :stare:

On the other hand it's appropriate for a anime t-shirt project to have stretch goals.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

etalian posted:

On the other hand it's appropriate for a anime t-shirt project to have stretch goals.
I've seen anime fans, those shirts will definitely need to stretch to fit those tubby bastards.

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
Apparently on their site they're already selling those shirts. Why do they need a kickstarter?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Do people even wear t shirts with nothing but snarky text on them anymore or is it just that I grew out of it?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ultraklystron posted:

Finally, something more cringe worthy and dated than the adult male sized My Little Pony/Jose Cuervo-meme crossover shirts in the window of my local comic shop!
Is... is this a real thing? Got any pictures?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Waffleman_ posted:

Do people even wear t shirts with nothing but snarky text on them anymore or is it just that I grew out of it?

You just grew out of it. Plenty of people still wear shirts with nothing but snarky text on them.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

Cerevisiae posted:

Apparently on their site they're already selling those shirts. Why do they need a kickstarter?

...and apparently they are hoping their target market hasn't heard of café press or any of 100 other different custom online t-shirt vendors.

Yes, but our t-shirts will be marginally cheaper and will only take 6-8 months longer to get. This is why our shirts use the oldest memes. Imagine the irony factor in having a shirt with a slogan that is on the cutting edge of being "out". Truly the best way to be "in", amirite?

EDIT: Also want to chime in that I wasn't going to read through the ENTIRE thread to see if someone mentioned this already, but does the "Microwallet" in the thread title reference the fact that about 30% of the kickstarters are for some kind of revolutionary new wallet?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
You know what a city that is still recovering from billions of dollars in hurricane damage needs? A pool in the middle of a river!

I love the pages and pages of CGI renders and marketing buzzwords compared to the one small paragraph three quarters of the way down where they admit that so far all they've done is do is a small filtration test and that this might not actually work at all. Or the stinger that even if its technologically feasible they have no idea whether or not they can even get permits for the thing.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

You know what a city that is still recovering from billions of dollars in hurricane damage needs? A pool in the middle of a river!

Holy Christ! What a fantastically profitable boondoggle that someone with balls actually got funded! What this really means is that this group will plow through this money working to get other money from foundations, etc. and will not actually accomplish a goddammed thing. I am willing to bet that the absolute MOST that gets done is a small (20x40?) test pool anchored to a pier to check feasibility. Absent finding 1000 "members" willing to pony up $10,000 each, the big project will NEVER happen.

Doesn't Kickstarter have any kind of feasibility rules or something? Like maybe one consulting engineer to look things over and say - "oh yes, this has a 1/100 chance of actually being physically possible" and letting it go through. Anything with less than that chance, "good bye"....

It's tempting to make a Deathstar one...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I love the pages and pages of CGI renders and marketing buzzwords compared to the one small paragraph three quarters of the way down where they admit that so far all they've done is do is a small filtration test and that this might not actually work at all. Or the stinger that even if its technologically feasible they have no idea whether or not they can even get permits for the thing.

This is a so bad it's good concept given the gross nature of the hudson river and the permit process.

What about things such as the on-going costs to replace the filters or how pools require insurance in case of injury?

It's such a dumb concept when the city has bigger problems such as lack of green spaces for the poorer parts of the city.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
That's actually the second Kickstarter for the + Pool, their previous one was two years ago: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/694835844/pool-a-floating-pool-in-the-river-for-everyone

Back then $40k was considered a huge success. Nowadays people get twice that for a bitcoin movie. On the other hand, the Bitcoin movie will probably actually be made...

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

etalian posted:

This is a so bad it's good concept given the gross nature of the hudson river and the permit process.

What about things such as the on-going costs to replace the filters or how pools require insurance in case of injury?

It's such a dumb concept when the city has bigger problems such as lack of green spaces for the poorer parts of the city.

If they were just making it a place where they seal it off from the river and make it a floating pool, that might work, but they're honestly expecting that thing to constantly be filtering the Hudson. I mean at least they didn't decide to filter East River, but goddamn do they have any idea how much water moves through the Hudson per second? You'd need like a sewage treatment plant bevy of filtration to accomplish that and all I see are some loving vacuum cleaner filters from dad's Dyson that they're thinking they can just slap on the border.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Jumley posted:

Look no further.
Nothing says :effort: like a slideshow made in Windows Movie Maker.

JDM3 posted:

It's tempting to make a Deathstar one...
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/461687407/kickstarter-open-source-death-star/

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

KittyLitter posted:

Hey guys - someone has finally decided to write the book that asks the biggest question of my childhood :

Why Don't Mommy Kiss Daddy No More?
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1341314700/why-dont-mommy-kiss-daddy-no-more?ref=live

Edit : As a side note, I've noticed more and more authors referring to themselves via their initials. It all started with C.S. Lewis, then J.R.R. Tolkien. Now you have your J.K. Rowling and your G.R.R. Martin... All great authors, to be sure.

According to the project this book will feature "very simple prose by T.A. Johnson" and will take kids on a roller coaster ride "from the sadness of discovery to the elation of learning it wasn't their fault." Except it is your fault. It's all your fault you worthless little poo poo. If it weren't for you mommy and daddy would still be happy. You little loving troll you are the reason that daddy drinks and hits mommy, and it's all because you are a pathetic helpless little fucktard. You should be ashamed.

Every ASOIAF book has George RR Martin on it. Not GRR Martin. Considering "George Martin" is a fairly generic and common name throwing in the initials helps.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Guavanaut posted:

Is... is this a real thing? Got any pictures?

Yes, it's real. No, I don't have pictures. The key element though was the phrase "I don't always watch cartoons, but when I do, I watch My Little Pony." As if the most interesting man in the world is a brony.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

pathetic little tramp posted:

If they were just making it a place where they seal it off from the river and make it a floating pool, that might work, but they're honestly expecting that thing to constantly be filtering the Hudson. I mean at least they didn't decide to filter East River, but goddamn do they have any idea how much water moves through the Hudson per second? You'd need like a sewage treatment plant bevy of filtration to accomplish that and all I see are some loving vacuum cleaner filters from dad's Dyson that they're thinking they can just slap on the border.

It's just a bizarre idea considering how the money could be better spent on things such as upgrading public green spaces.

Here's another hilarious one, building a underground Bioshock park in a empty subway termina:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/855802805/lowline-an-underground-park-on-nycs-lower-east-sid

Ideas include building a network of fiber optic cables to the surface to get the plants enough sunlight every day.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Ultraklystron posted:

Yes, it's real. No, I don't have pictures. The key element though was the phrase "I don't always watch cartoons, but when I do, I watch My Little Pony." As if the most interesting man in the world is a brony.

That's Dos Equis not Jose Cuervo.

In bizarre Kickstarter news:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/debbyherbenick/what-do-you-like-about-your-vulva-and-vagina?ref=live

Possibly :nws: for having the words 'vulva' and 'vagina' pop up on your screen a couple hundred times. I like that their findings seem to show that women already like their genitalia, but these people feel they should like them more. I'm not sure who the 'prove women's genitalia are not dirty and gross' is aimed at, seven year old boys? They say in their findings men like female genitalia more than women do so it's clearly not aimed at them.

anticake has a new favorite as of 22:17 on Jul 13, 2013

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's like the ball pit in an abandoned house except it raised 100 times as much money. Hopefully that means it will be 100 times as funny once it fails.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

anticake posted:

In bizarre Kickstarter news:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/debbyherbenick/what-do-you-like-about-your-vulva-and-vagina?ref=live

Possibly :nws: for having the words 'vulva' and 'vagina' pop up on your screen a couple hundred times. I like that their findings seem to show that women already like their genitalia, but these people feel they should like them more. I'm not sure who the 'prove women's genitalia are not dirty and gross' is aimed at, seven year old boys? They say in their findings men like female genitalia more than women do so it's clearly not aimed at them.

I've seen a number of people on these very forums who seem to think vaginas are gross looking. And I've known people in real life who think that women who have any kind of visible outer vulva at all are gross looking.

The real issue here is that their art actually does make vaginas look like horrible Lovecraftian nightmare fuel. And this is coming from a dude who loves the way vaginas look.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

The sad thing is, i am almost sure that if done on Indiegogo with flexible funding, a lot of those donations would still be there.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

anticake posted:

Ah my bad.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Thank you all for the feedback. Smart, brutal, and correct. Honest feedback is why I love this thread, and why I'm trying to make sure I'm not defensive or writing like so. Goons, I've learned more in the past week that I've learned in the past three years of school. Well, no, but the past week has really made the lessons I've learned in marketing/statistics/advertising click. Now... theory does not always translate into reality, but I'm improving. Once again, I know this is not the Kickstarter help thread but I got a lot of feedback from here so I assume coming back and asking for more info on why mine is awful is okay- if not, let me know and I'll move.

Currently I'm still working non-stop on this, and have updated the video to actually show the game. My co-writer who actually knows how to edit video, record audio, and those things is gone- so I've had to teach myself and re-vamp over the course of four days. But thats my job as producer, or project head, or whatever title is correct- to overview the creative process, and if things go down hill, step in. I'm still working on the audio in the pitch video, still trying to improve it, and doing those other things- but right now a few things have changed. I'm going to bullet point them here, and if I find I need to take a sanity break, I'll come back and read/respond to more individual questions people have given me.

New Video:
  • Old video is gone, new video is up. Still working on the new video, probably going to re-record the audio as I get a better handle of the settings. Best case scenario I'm going to send a list of phrases and how long they have to be and send them to my writer so he can british voice over them.
  • New video's audio is not what I want it to be, but anything was better than the previous video. I'm working right now on having more gameplay present in the video, and removing a few scenes that don't add much to the video- making it short, informative, and a "hook".
  • New video shows the engine the game is running on, but I'm currently plugging in in-game environments instead of the examples I currently have.
  • General improvements, going to look at it and look at it again and see what is needed and what can be cut.
  • Any feedback on what should be shown that is not, what is shown that should be expanded, and what should be cut would be great. You guys are brutal, and I mean that in the best way. I taught myself Adobe Premier Pro and Adobe Audition in the past week to do this job while my video/audio guy is indisposed, and now that I'm half as comfortable with it as I am with Photoshop its only going to get better.

Other New Things:
  • Editors, my lovely editors, have revised the text content of the page. There is always room for improvement, so let me know.
  • There is a section explaining past experience for our four core team members, showing that they are very talented people. When everything else is done, I'm going to have a video profiling our team (about a minute each) to show their passion, commitment, and talent.
  • FAQ is up, which answers some questions.
  • Community outreach, talking to different gamer groups to explain my game and get feedback.

Things I'm Working On Now:
  • Long Game Footage Video - Although black and white and bare bones, this is a video I need to get up for people to see. It will show off our game's engine, explain that we have the game's text written and how it all works. Showing off branching story lines, the user interface, many other things, and lastly explaining how we have the written text divided. (Its because its easier for us to revise and edit the chunks before they are in the game, then thanks to how each chunk is coded "S1B-BA-AACAN" we can plug it into Ren'Py very simply.
  • The Core Team Video - Showing off our team, what they have done, their commitment to the project, things like that.
  • New Video Upgrade - Removing the parts not needed, upgrading the audio or even re-recording it. I've mentioned this above.
  • Free Demo - I can code on the fly, so I'm going to code a short side story and make it available to download in order to demonstrate how things work. I'm running on empty so forgive me if some of these sentences sound weird.
  • Opinions and Interviews - We are having various people write about issues for our blog, and then interviewing us. Basically they write three paragraphs about an issue in general media, in gaming specifically, and lastly how they view it and deal with it personally. Then they are going to grill us, ask us real questions, and get honest answers. They have total control, no censorship. This is not really being done by me, its being done by them, and really does not matter too much for the Kickstarter but is something that I want going on while this project goes.

So yeah, sorry if I'm not supposed to post a post like this, but you've all given me great feedback and I thank you for it. If you want to, keep on doing so, shoot me a PM if you want. Some quick answers since this is a nice break for me.

CommissarMega posted:

Isn't that the same thing? It's what I meant, certainly- can't they just cancel the KS, spruce things up a bit and come back?

Yes. This may end up being what we do- however, this really has been an amazing experience and if it does not pass this will be the case. We will look at things, look at them harder, revise, revise more, look at them again, run them past goons, revise, and revise.

te="Ville Valo" post="417218680"]
I'm still not getting why you didn't wait to put up the Kickstarter until you had some of this stuff. The only explanation I can think of is the delusion that "Hey, maybe people will flood us with money and we won't have to put in any actual effort."
[/quote]

That was not it, and I've thought about the reasons why we did not have this stuff up initially. I can't tell you how many guides I read, projects I dissected, and people I contacted. Having the green screen seemed important, and it was difficult to get, hence why we thought we had to make do with our footage. This was wrong. No other way to say it. HD video and green screens and head shots don't make an indie game, we should be seen once or twice to put a human face on the project and then the rest should be showing the game itself. That's what I'm working on now, and working hard at it. We had a lot of this stuff, we just made a mistake I still can't explain. I just now am working to avoid it.

Fatkraken posted:

You have to be a fantastic editor to be an English major now?

Not at all, I phrased that poorly. What I'm saying is we have very talented editors that I am letting do their job. My point was, I have editors that really are skilled.

Fatkraken posted:

When you say the game is "written", do you mean you have a working game that can be played the entire way through but just has placeholder stick-figure art, or do you mean you have a script written and are still waiting to get the programming bit done? If it's the former, then show it in the video!

It is written as in I have word documents, and I'm going to show exactly what you've said in the next video. I'm trying to find a way to record my desktop while doing this, which is a short google search away. The programming is really complicated for me to explain now, but the simple answer is nonexistent. We have everything with a label explaining where it goes, place holders, and an interface we are working on making look better. I'm going to get this stuff up as soon as possible. The best way I can explain it is that it is programmed so that CAP-HAPPY1 is in scene "S1B-BA-AACAN". This allows the editors to comfortavly edit S1B-BA-AACAN.txt, give it back to the programmers, and then plug it into scene "S1B-BA-AACAN". I'm sure that makes no sense.

Fatkraken posted:

Your website says "One major goal of this work was to explore themes of nationality, race, religion, and sexuality all against the backdrop of a futuristic space adventure". Your kickstarter doesn't. Why? Have you changed your minds?

Not at all, I actually have an edit I'm putting in now about why we are exploring those themes. Its a bit hard for me to explain here, but its not diversity for diversities sake. We looked at who would be on this kind of ship, where they would come from, then sculpted characters from there. Good characters are complicated, so no one of these characteristics define them, but they are also not downplayed. I have it in a file how to say this better, so I'm just going to make the main point- good science fiction as I remember wonders. It asks what if, and in a lot of my favorite science fiction, it explores modern and historical issues against a futuristic backdrop. I'm nuking that website since its poor quality, but thank you for reminding me to make that point clear. That is essential, and just really embarrassing to have forgotten.

Fatkraken posted:

Your ship design doesn't look like it would hold a lot of cargo. I'm seriously nitpicking now, but go look at cargo ships in real life, and cargo-based space ship designs from movies and other games. You'll notice they have enormous cargo holds, or act as tugs for huge containers. Your ship looks like a bubbly little gradius fighter. It's not a huge thing, but it kinda betrays a lack of thought and consideration.

Going to explain this a bit more, but basically the ship is like that for a reason. It was bought by a young The Captain because it was used and cheap, in plain terms it was the space equivalent of a party bus that highschoolers get for prom. Almost exactly that, which is why the nurse is not a sex bot. As an entertainment unit she would do things like make drinks from a library of thousands, deal blackjack, flirt but never more than a waitress would, and basically make sure everyone is having fun. The reason she is now the nurse is because programming can be changed. Those same hands programmed to elaborately shuffle a deck of cards precisely can use the same dexterity when giving a simple shot. The simple diagnostic ability originally meant to make sure to gauge how tipsy a guest is can gauge the temperature of a patient. This information is going to be updated in the page, along with more fleshed out info on the characters. As for the ship, it was used during war by The Captain which allowed him to make some money possibly smuggling, and ultimately it is now used to ship specialty products.

Fatkraken posted:

You say very little about the actual story, even the premise. A Thriller where "On a cargo ship in space, something goes wrong". That's technically the plot of Alien, but look at the original theatrical trailer for Alien, it gets over a hell of a lot more about what the movie will feel like without huge infodumps and masses of spoilers. Short, succinct descriptions of what the story is LIKE are far more appealing than long character bios, I should find out the captain misses his family through play, not be told it in a blurb, and I DEFINITELY don't need to know it at the pitch stage. Show don't Tell. You're trying to sell me on a concept, not show me all the clever worldbuilding you've been doing, that's for later. Knowing whether or not the spaceship has a robot nurse is irrelevant at this stage.

Yes all of these things, thank you. Going now for there is much to do.

Waffleman_ posted:

This is even more hilarious when you consider that player choices and multiple endings are pretty much part of the definition of visual novels. It's like advertising leveling up in an RPG.

RPGs are more common, explaining multiple endings was for people who don't know what one is. Yes, the question is now raised if I should just target people who play visual novels or people who want to try something new, internal debate.

Exmond posted:

Another thing that bugs me about the Infection video is they are trying to be the first english visual novel company or something like that? But several companies have them beat and there are several niche companies that either translate or make their own (Academagia devs and etc)..

Yeah, that was dumb and not our goal so that is gone. We are not trying to be first, not trying to be the best, we are trying to make the game the best it can be. If the Kickstarter fails, we will take a step back, look, think, and plan. Right now, this post is long and my break from video editing has finished.

Thank you all for the feedback, and I'm sorry I could not answer every question, I just don't want this to be a giant creator bawwwww post. This is a creator thank you post for amazing criticism, and responses to why things are the way they are. Working to make this as great as it can be, so if you have criticisms go for it. I will gladly be featured in this thread as long as my Kickstarter(s) are awful, and I will work to remove awful from my Kickstarter.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Rapdawg posted:

Thank you all for the feedback. Smart, brutal, and correct. :words:

Mind tossing us a link so we don't have to go sorting back through the last few pages to find the think you want to sell us?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DStecks posted:

Mind tossing us a link so we don't have to go sorting back through the last few pages to find the think you want to sell us?

Rapdawg's Kickstarter project:
Infection: First Contact - A Visual Novel

Oasx posted:

The sad thing is, i am almost sure that if done on Indiegogo with flexible funding, a lot of those donations would still be there.

Naw, the Indiegogo Death Star flexible funding project only made $5. There were also three other Death Star IGG projects that never raised a cent and a current project which doesn't have any backers.

But there was a Death Star PR project to make a youtube series about the Imperial PR team (based on that old joke that from a certain point of view the rebel alliance were terrorists). They made less than 10% of their $30k goal and kept it since it was a flexible funding project but they actually ended up making the webseries. It's horribly underfunded (they couldn't even afford more than one complete Storm Trooper costume) but they came through so props to them, I guess.

They worked on it for at least 2 years. 36,000 people watched episode 1 but hardly anyone came back for the subsequent episodes. :smith:

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 05:23 on Jul 14, 2013

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They worked on it for at least 2 years. 36,000 people watched episode 1 but hardly anyone came back for the subsequent episodes. :smith:

Oh, wow. My youtube videos have more views than them (other than their first episode). That's really depressing. :smith:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Dominoker Game: Most motivate game ever imagine where Impossible become Possible and Simplicity reach the Perfection,Balancing Numbers, Balancing All

This isn't quite TimeCube: The Board Game, but it's definitely hinting in that direction.

Otcho
May 4, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Dominoker Game: Most motivate game ever imagine where Impossible become Possible and Simplicity reach the Perfection,Balancing Numbers, Balancing All

This isn't quite TimeCube: The Board Game, but it's definitely hinting in that direction.

I love how that suddenly turned into an infomercial. All that's missing is the black and white world where everything goes wrong.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

DStecks posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dmfelt/infection-first-contact-a-visual-novel

I am currently talking things over with my team, but as head of the company and producer I ultimately get to make the final calls. In responding to all the criticism I found one question that I could not answer, and that was why launch the Kickstarter at this point? There is no right answer for that, it was a poor decision, and it was my poor decision. That is why after consulting with my team, we are likely going to pull the plug on the Kickstarter after releasing an update explaining why.

Integrity, transparency, and other things are what we strive for- its in my much better written mission statement that I'm too tired at this point to pull out. We are going to let our backers know why we are ending the Kickstarter, explaining the reasons for this, and getting two important points across:

1. We will not forget those who have backed us at this point, and we thank them for their support.
2. We are not canceling the game, we are canceling the Kickstarter- development is still going on. I don't have to spend 12 hours straight shooting video, I can take my time and do it right. We are doing this for those who have taken an interest in our game, because ultimately ending the Kickstarter now and focusing on just how far we can take it without additional funding is the best thing for the game.

Anyhow, this is all not finalized and I'm a little burned out, I'm consulting team members on their thoughts and drafting what will be our last update should we cancel it. Cancelling the Kickstarter and explaining why, that is the best thing for the game and the best choice to provide our supporters the best quality product. Some people on my team may disagree with me, and I will listen, I will talk, all of us will converse. Then as head, I ultimately will make the decision- and I think its clear what decision is best. This thread really showed that to me, and being able to work two or three hours a day on this game when I am charged and not running on empty really is the best way to have things happen. It is better for us to shut it down ourselves with a statement why than to let it go on as a constantly changing unprofessional looking mess.

The hard part that being accountable and being seen as accountable are two different and tricky things. Thats why you draft things, revise, draft, and have someone who knows grammar edit.

In the end, I spent money on ads for a Kickstarter that will likely cancelled. This cost probably $140 of my own money which would have been spent on a stupid impulse buy. That said, every lesson I learned in my marketing classes clicked in my head, STAT which took me a few times to pass really is something I am glad I learned now and am pursing more knowledge of, and if you divide that by a frantic week... is not a bad price for some real world experience.

So thanks guys, you really have been a big help. This is a project that I've been working on for a long time, and groupthink lead to a few bad choices, choices I'm now looking to resolve. When it comes time for the next Kickstarter to go up, I'll make sure to post the preview here- long before I intend to launch it.

P.S. I'm glad I did not do this on Indiegogo, that site is awful. Kickstarter puts a lot of its priority on creator protection, but does care about backers. Indiegogo has fundamental flaws- if someone needs 10K for a project and gets $500, then they just got money they can't use to finish the project.

P.S.S. Okay, enough of me posting about my project, time to go back to an earlier stage in development- change things up. Anyone who is interested in the project, pm me and I'll let you know how to follow us, but for now I'm soon going back to just being a guy following this thread who happens to take notes on common mistakes.

quantum_squirrel
Aug 9, 2006
So, do you want to want to take your love for cephalopods to the gaming table?
Then back:
Schoolgirls love tentacles

quote:

A lavishly illustrated card game of cuddly cephalopods and the ladies who love them!

These aren't your average tentacle monsters! Schoolgirls Love Tentacles explores a world of cute and cuddly cephalopods living, working, and playing alongside academically inclined ladies.

(I feel somewhat dirty posting this gif)

They are saying they have no adult content, but c'mon this is like Large Pink Mushroom with a red thight cap card game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

quantum_squirrel posted:

Then back:

They are saying they have no adult content, but c'mon this is like Large Pink Mushroom with a red thight cap card game.

Is this made by the same people who made the high school girl tentacle rape card game that kickstarter cancelled and everyone threw a bitchfit about?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Leal posted:

Is this made by the same people who made the high school girl tentacle rape card game that kickstarter cancelled and everyone threw a bitchfit about?

The project posted:

Some of the original characters designed as part of the Double Major fan project will be making appearances here. This project is NOT related to or endorsed by Soda Pop Miniatures in any way, it has been organized and designed solely by the artists on this project.
I must also stress that none of the illustrations are "final", some adjustments and revisions may be made before the ultimate printing of the game.

Nope.

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!

Leal posted:

quote:

This project is NOT related to or endorsed by Soda Pop Miniatures in any way, it has been organized and designed solely by the artists on this project.

A quick google search reveals that apparently they did some art for them.

Cerevisiae has a new favorite as of 00:58 on Jul 15, 2013

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cerevisiae posted:

A quick google search reveals that apparently they did some art for them.

If I have to theorize, my guess is Soda Pop abandoned the idea for their own reasons, then the artists who worked on the game, knowing that there's at least a market for it, decided to resurrect the project.

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!

Young Freud posted:

If I have to theorize, my guess is Soda Pop abandoned the idea for their own reasons, then the artists who worked on the game, knowing that there's at least a market for it, decided to resurrect the project.

Some of the art at least is from a planned Tentacle Bento Expansion Pack it looks like.

Edit: I guess that's the "double major" they were talking about.

Cerevisiae has a new favorite as of 01:00 on Jul 15, 2013

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Don't sweat it, man. If you cancel and come back with an improved KS, as well as explain why, funders shouldn't really mind.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

quantum_squirrel posted:

Then back:

No man, don't worry. This isn't tentacle rape, it's tentacle consensual sex! In fact, I'd even say it's progressive because the women can choose what tentacles they-:suicide:

Looking at the game video (thankfully not explicit, still kind of skeevy), it looks like some combination of Memory, Uno, and a path building game, which seems kind of fun, but then they go and dress it up in softcore anime porn. Does anyone know of a similar game? Not by theme, of course.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Didn't something exactly like this get removed from Kickstarter awhile ago (and cause a huge stink among awful people)? How well is this gonna work out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CommissarMega posted:

Don't sweat it, man. If you cancel and come back with an improved KS, as well as explain why, funders shouldn't really mind.

Yeah, this. Chuck an honest explanation in the FAQ section ("We were too keen and jumped the gun with an unfinished pitch!") and you'll be good to go.
The pitch you ran with in this first iteration wasn't the pitch your project deserves (given the amount of work and gumption you've sunk into it) and the low number of pledges is bearing that out. Regroup, rethink, retool, relaunch.