Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Guys. Raging Barbarians really... rage. :negative:

Between waves upon waves of Barbarians and motherfucking Shaka building the Terracotta Army I just gave up on my last game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Is there a way to view the entire map when you start a game? I don't want to play 600 turns into a Marathon game only to find out my coastal capital city is actually on the coast of a really large lake and not an ocean.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Away all Goats posted:

Is there a way to view the entire map when you start a game? I don't want to play 600 turns into a Marathon game only to find out my coastal capital city is actually on the coast of a really large lake and not an ocean.

the In-Game Editor and Reseed mods both have the option to glance at the entire map, and Reseed also has the functionality to generate new maps without actually restarting the game, allowing you to preview maps until you find one that meets your needs before restarting.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Anyone else noticing the AI never takes Freedom? I've only played through two games so far, but so far I've only ever seen one AI take Freedom. It's been something like 90% Order, 9% Autocracy, and 1% Freedom so far.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

HappyHelmet posted:

Anyone else noticing the AI never takes Freedom? I've only played through two games so far, but so far I've only ever seen one AI take Freedom. It's been something like 90% Order, 9% Autocracy, and 1% Freedom so far.

The Ai is Correct.

(I've seen them take Freedom once, maybe they just get influenced by the Order guys too often?)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Is there really nothing I can do with a Great General except build a fort (pretty useless if I'm waging an offensive war) or just have him chill out behind my frontline units for the passive strength/healing bonus?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

HappyHelmet posted:

I've had some take Freedom but it was because their local rival took Order and it was turning into a classic Cold War scenario.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

HappyHelmet posted:

In the game I just finished as Morocco, I got to an ideology first and took Freedom, and Babylon was the second and took Order. Every single other civ proceeded to take Freedom as well which ended rather poorly for Babylon. It may have been because my culture and tourism were fairly high, and I had influence over some of the civs that started, but once one other Civ took Freedom, it seemed to start a chain reaction.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Geokinesis posted:

The Ai is Correct.

I find freedom to be really powerful now that the ideologies are more flexible than the old social policy trees. It helps that my Treaty Organization works like this:

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Platystemon posted:

I find freedom to be really powerful now that the ideologies are more flexible than the old social policy trees. It helps that my Treaty Organization works like this:

That's absurdly powerful.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bashez posted:

That's absurdly powerful.

Yes. Yes it is. I’m at over two hundred influence with every city state in the game at the moment, with some over four hundred.

Shaka’s a dick and shakes one of my buddies down every other turn, but that’s the only downside.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Derek Agony posted:

Is there really nothing I can do with a Great General except build a fort (pretty useless if I'm waging an offensive war) or just have him chill out behind my frontline units for the passive strength/healing bonus?

Those forts are great if you share a border with some one you're having an offensive war with. They're also a really good way to START a war with some one you share a border with.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

I'm not sure what exactly Theodora is doing, but I'm really glad I won't have to conquer that city until nukes. She's in the mid-Industrial age.

creamcorn fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 15, 2013

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Kagon posted:

In the game I just finished as Morocco, I got to an ideology first and took Freedom, and Babylon was the second and took Order. Every single other civ proceeded to take Freedom as well which ended rather poorly for Babylon. It may have been because my culture and tourism were fairly high, and I had influence over some of the civs that started, but once one other Civ took Freedom, it seemed to start a chain reaction.

My first game was like this. My culture output was much higher than the others, and I had a significant tech advantage so I was the first to get an ideology. However, after I chose Freedom Babylon went Order, and everyone else slowly followed his lead. Which didn't make sense for them because as soon as they picked Order they instantly flatlined in happiness because of my culture.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I love the new barbarians so much. I know it's only because I play montezuma all the time, but how can you pass up +16 culture for a warrior kill? All you need is to pick the honor opener and set up outside a few barb camps and let the sacrifices flow.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

HappyHelmet posted:

My first game was like this. My culture output was much higher than the others, and I had a significant tech advantage so I was the first to get an ideology. However, after I chose Freedom Babylon went Order, and everyone else slowly followed his lead. Which didn't make sense for them because as soon as they picked Order they instantly flatlined in happiness because of my culture.

I had something similar, except it was Shaka who went Autocracy and everyone else went Order since everyone hated Shaka. Then 200 years later they flipped to Freedom because my Tourism output was literally 3 times the rest of the world combined.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Inspector_71 posted:

How do you pick your routes? If it's by gold, sort by that. If it's only to city-states, close the other sections.

It's not that messy, people.

City-states sometimes give nearly as much gold as a regular city route but with no science bleed, so I always try to check them in addition to the regular civs - that's a lot of extra clicks, especially when the UI doesn't reset to the top of the list every time it's opened. And that's before factoring in the complexity of taking suboptimal routes for non-GPT bonuses, so sometimes you might be running a route to Rome to make yourself look less appetizing as a target, another route France to get that +25% tourism modifier, and a route to a city-state to fulfill their quest and get Allied status for resources. Those are all routes that are significant in the strategic picture, but the UI makes no effort to give you that information unless you start digging through other menus. The half-assed sorting options only make things worse by cluttering the view when trying to figure out which loving route just finished.

Yeah, sometimes I just need cash and sorting by GPT is quick and easy. When you've already got a stable cash flow and want to leverage that advantage instead, the sorting quickly becomes a hindrance.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
Is there some trick to getting more than ~16-18 GPT from trading? I had all of the buildings and some policies, but in general trading made up 150-200 gpt of my ~1000 gross. Most of my money was from intra-empire road connections and trading posts.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Sea routes are where the real cash is, land routes have more limited range and lack the 2x multiplier. Of course, it can be trickier to clear the barbarians out of the sea lanes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Verviticus posted:

Is there some trick to getting more than ~16-18 GPT from trading? I had all of the buildings and some policies, but in general trading made up 150-200 gpt of my ~1000 gross. Most of my money was from intra-empire road connections and trading posts.

It probably depends on your turnspeed but I was able to get >20 GPT per route from multiple cities (none of them were city states though).

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Sea routes for sure. I was getting 40+ in my Venice game.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
A bunch of these were sea routes though. They gave about the same amount as land routes.

They were so underwhelming that I just started using my caravans to feed captured cities. I'd puppet them all, and then feed one to like size 15, annex it and start pumping out all the useful buildings. It got me a lot of really good cities really fast and seemed to be a better investment than the somewhat small gold return.

edit: what's the largest return you've seen on a food/production route? For whatever reason mine were stuck at 6 per turn but I swear I've seen 9.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Inspector_71 posted:

How do you pick your routes? If it's by gold, sort by that. If it's only to city-states, close the other sections.

It's not that messy, people.

Or they could simply add a button that sends your caravan / cargo ship on the previous trade route.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Kly posted:

That's not true either. If your ideology is exerting enough pressure it'll give other Civs a lot of unhappiness which can reduce their production and give combat penalties and eventually make them lose cities. Even if they switch to your ideology to avoid all that (which they don't always do) you've still made them waste AT LEAST one Social Policy. I know there's some policies that give bonuses to people who share your ideology too, like extra gold from trade routes. On top of all that keeping your tourism up lets you choose the ideology you want without any penalty since everything I just said can apply to you too, if everyone else in the world is Autocratic and you want Order you'll gently caress yourself if you don't have enough tourism.

Unless you have enough culture to cancel out their tourism, which can easily be done while completely ignoring tourism. As long as your culture is high enough to keep anyone else from influencing you, you can do whatever you want, ideologically speaking.

In other news, this is loving great. I thought I was going to lose this game because I've been an era behind my neighbours since the medieval period, and distant civs have even greater tech leads. But now I'm allies with almost every city-state, giving me enough delegates to unilaterally pass anything I want, and I'm generating enough money and have enough units that nobody can do poo poo about it. Assyria and I were best bros for most of the game, even after we split ideologically and I converted all his cities. He only started getting pissy after I voted down his absurd suggestion to make autocracy the world ideology. Funnily enough, though, I've kept him on as World Congress host (He had the most delegates at its founding due to me being landlocked at the time) and let him put forward whatever silly resolutions he wants while ramming through anything of my choosing. He's getting even more touchy now because I'm banning his luxuries in order to get him to flip. It's like if Ahmadenijad were the UN Secretary-General.

Meanwhile one of Communist England's cities flipped to me, so I stole all the art from it and then sold it back to her in exchange for all her remaining luxuries. :v:

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 15, 2013

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!
Has anyone really figured out what it is you can do to make your cities attractive for trade routes from other civs? I only get 1 or 2 coming in no matter what it seems like. Odd when there's 7 other people with 6+ trade routes each

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Verviticus posted:

edit: what's the largest return you've seen on a food/production route? For whatever reason mine were stuck at 6 per turn but I swear I've seen 9.

All of my routes are twelve right now. It increases over time, but I’m not sure if it’s based on techs, eras, time, or demographics.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Platystemon posted:

All of my routes are twelve right now. It increases over time, but I’m not sure if it’s based on techs, eras, time, or demographics.

What the gently caress? Mine were 6 until I won the game in a diplo victory. I was almost all the way through information era.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Wow, I just watched Barbarians launch an amphibious invasion of Russia in 1961. Not just one Infantry either - I think it had 3 initially. I'm also glad to see the AI has not lost its suicidal tendancies: Washington fell to Hiawatha very early in the game. He was resurrected around 1600 with one size 2 city (Boston), and by 1750 he launched a desperate assault to reclaim his birthright. I think he lasted...4 turns.

In other news, I love this expansion. I finally feel like I have a viable, non-passive option to win the game without being in a state of eternal war.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Verviticus posted:

What the gently caress? Mine were 6 until I won the game in a diplo victory. I was almost all the way through information era.

Are you doing international trade routes or are you just making GBS threads around with CSes? City States have consistently provided me with okay rates of trade, but it's nothing compared to dealing with actual enemy nations. To be entirely honest, it seems kind of arbitrary how much you'll get from a route, but damned if I wasn't getting +41gpt from a route with China. Trading with their last city on the corner of a continent that was half mountain tiles and half ocean. It was averagely close to me compared to my other trading partners, too, so distance obviously wasn't a factor.

Someone really should look into what determines yields, because it sure as poo poo ain't target city size or prosperity.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Jesus. Was having a pretty good game as Venice on a Fractal map, but of course in the middle of the main continent is the Zulu. It's only the middle ages, but already 3 Civs have been cut down by Shaka. I did my best to prepare for it, but there are just SO many Impi coming at me. I think this one is game over.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

The White Dragon posted:

Are you doing international trade routes or are you just making GBS threads around with CSes? City States have consistently provided me with okay rates of trade, but it's nothing compared to dealing with actual enemy nations. To be entirely honest, it seems kind of arbitrary how much you'll get from a route, but damned if I wasn't getting +41gpt from a route with China. Trading with their last city on the corner of a continent that was half mountain tiles and half ocean. It was averagely close to me compared to my other trading partners, too, so distance obviously wasn't a factor.

Someone really should look into what determines yields, because it sure as poo poo ain't target city size or prosperity.

He's talking about internal trade routes between your own cities, not international.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Verviticus posted:

All my sea routes are twelve. Land routes are half that.

It shouldn’t make a difference, but I’m playing as Portugal and captured both the Colossus and Petra.

It’s possible it’s yet another difference between the MacOS and Windows versions, too.

e: This is in the Atomic Era.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I just had a couple of civs pick up Freedom to follow along with glorious France. One of them (Brazil) had even unwisely declared war on me, lost and had Sao Paolo returned to Portugal, ironically, but he didn't hold a grudge.

Order does definitely seem to be the most popular, but not by such a vast margin as 90%.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Platystemon posted:

All my sea routes are twelve. Land routes are half that.

It shouldn’t make a difference, but I’m playing as Portugal and captured both the Colossus and Petra.

It’s possible it’s yet another difference between the MacOS and Windows versions, too.

e: This is in the Atomic Era.

I was getting 12 (i thought 13 but I'm probably remembering wrong at this point) from my sea food routes. I find it funny to put two of those in to one city and watch it explode.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I could be crazy, but I swear barbarians will spawn on the other side of the continent and beeline straight for my cities. The only time I've seen them attack someone else is when there's a wounded unit nearby.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've definitely seen barbs attack and pillage other cities. Have you actually witnessed a barb make the whole trip, bypassing other civs? The ones attacking you were probably just from a different camp you didn't know about.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I've seen barbarians ignore wounded AI scouts to attack my fortified, survivalist pathfinder more times than I cared to count. I'm usually trying to preserve a hut for a couple turns until my city pops and that's just like stepping on a wasp's nest.

Anyways internal trade routes I swear I've seen 9, but I might have been Morocco? I can't even remember now. I guess if I really want big cities I have to put them on the coast.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Verviticus posted:

I've seen barbarians ignore wounded AI scouts to attack my fortified, survivalist pathfinder more times than I cared to count. I'm usually trying to preserve a hut for a couple turns until my city pops and that's just like stepping on a wasp's nest.

Anyways internal trade routes I swear I've seen 9, but I might have been Morocco? I can't even remember now. I guess if I really want big cities I have to put them on the coast.

Being Morocco would not affect internal trade routes. The only way trading is any different as Morocco is the Gateway to Africa UA, which only affects external trade routes.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Internal trade routes are all the same city to city, the only difference is cargo ships are more powerful than caravans. The power of it appears to be tied to Era, or it could be some other tech I'm not 100 percent, but it rises across all cities equally.

International Trade Routes are effected by all sorts of stuff, resource diversity, tech level, whether or not there is a river, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Marrakech (my capital), Washington, and Moscow all on a fifteen-hex line; the three of us become wonder-hogs, sniping from one another and each getting ~10 wonders. By the time the World Congress exists, we push through Cultural Heritage on the same turn that I discover Dynamite... and thirty turns of backstabbing later, I own both Washington and Moscow (and New York and St. Petersburg) :getin:

Shaka may have the other half of Pangaea to himself after wiping out the Aztecs and Indonesians, but I've got everybody else on my side, meaning we're not far from a) embargoing him, b) banning his native luxuries, and c) creating a Standing Army tax.

This is the first BNW game that I've actually reached the modern era in after a number of picky restarts, and I gotta say that it's a hell of a lot of fun. The diplomacy game is still very much "who has the most money," and its a shame that city-states don't have more loyalty, but diplomacy on the whole is much more meaningful and satisfying now, and I'm enjoying trade as something more than simply exchanging luxuries.

Next game will be Venice, I suppose, and then Brazil to try and focus on the culture system.

• Locked thread